Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

The Toyota Aqua S, other alias "Prius".
High Speed Ring.jpg

The C stands for City. Frankly, it should stand for Crap.
I already shared about the Aqua not long after Tuesday's races, and frankly I was willing to give it another chance today. It's still a real let down, but let me elaborate on that in 5 points...

1. It's FF.
Now I love FF sports cars. My blue Integra Type R being the most obvious example, but other personal favourites include the Nissan Primera and VW Golf. The point I'm trying to make is, FF cars aren't alien to me. But this one sure knows how to highlight the downsides of the drivetrain. Every corner I drove it round, I was either understeering or going too slow. And this was AFTER I turned off TCS and ASM...

2. Screw these CM tyres, am I right?
I really do wish I could have put some SS tyres on it and given it a thrashing, and nothing's stopping me. But, in true COTW form, the car must be reviewed as is from the dealership and with an oil change. So we were all stuck with the second worst grade of tyre in the game.

3. The battery runs out waayyyyy too quick.
I get that it's a hybrid, and hybrids utilise electronic systems to aid the petrol engine. But why does the battery run out so quick? My battery hardly lasted two laps of Grand Valley Speedway before kicking the bucket. And as a result, I dropped off the pace like a stone! (That was actually what all my races were like, to be honest) Even though the baterry replenishes itself slightly during coasting and braking, in the long run it expires for everyone. Another few laps at GV, and even Mr. Ecodriver himself VR would have run out, I reckon..

4. The acceleration is sluggish. Bump any wall even gently, and you will regret it.
Countless times, throughout the races, I would understeer round corners. (refer to point 1) And sometimes, there would be an unforgiving wall waiting for me. Even if I merely grazed it, I would still lose about 10km/h of speed and then I'd have to sit and watch as Asher, or McD, or anyone else slowly but surely got past me, and all I could do was tuck in behind them and hope to God that 80km/h is fast enough to pick up a slipstream...

5. I didn't need to know that Toyota had made a vehicle WORSE than the Prius.
But hey, the more you know, right?

It's still a beater, probably even more so than after Tuesday 👎👎👎👎👎👎👎
The lesson to be learned here is this...
If Brad comes calling saying you've won the right to pick this week's car, DON'T ignore him!!!

Hi all, just joined this forum, maybe it will help with my weekly state of "shock" upon joining mcd's room on tuesdays :)

Looks like quite a few useful discussions and hints on cotw!! 👍

Before concluding this first post, I wanted to thank each and every cotw driver for setting a bar that makes me a better gt6 driver!

Cheers!

:cheers:

Hi all, just joined this forum, maybe it will help with my weekly state of "shock" upon joining mcd's room on tuesdays :)

Before concluding this first post, I wanted to thank each and every cotw driver for setting a bar that makes me a better gt6 driver!

Cheers!

Welcome to GTP and the COTW madhouse. :D:cheers:

COTW has been round since GT5 and was brought back for GT6 at the start of 2014.

Short while afterwards, I joined the madhouse. :)

As you can tell, over 160 pages of Reviews, comedy and much more tell a pretty good story of who we are as individuals and as a family.

From singing praises for Sleepers and breaking down the Beaters, to friendly rivalrys and pun-tastic one liners. :lol:

I think you'll settle in just fine. :P:tup:

You'll be right at home here, Lit.

As Vic said, here's where all the tips and tricks are shared, opinions are voiced, and challenges are laid! :D

Come here to find out what the COTW is this week, you don't even need to go searching the whole forum, just grab a glimpse of the title and you're away!

At the risk of being reported to the FIA for crimes against motoring, I'm going to call the Aqua a sleeper. The only EV/hybrid I found faster was one of the Priuses, but it handles lousy. The Aqua handles well, even with CM tires and was a lot of fun both Tuesday and Saturday. The only real issues I see are the short battery life and that CVT, but once you get a run, the trans is OK. I forget what the top speed is, some of the EV's suffer from maxing out around 90mph.

But tuned up, this is sweet. It demolishes the competition in most of the lower tier events, and although its only 372pp with all mods, I was still able to win in the 450pp events in career mode. Placing second to Vic in the TT's this week by "only" 2.1 seconds helps my verdict too :cheers:

I guess so. Just checked Twitch to see him silently going online.

This calls for a thorough investigation, I'm sure numerous regulations have been broken.

My PC has been fighting me for the past week. No further action will be taken.

Just waiting on this week's winner to reply. Their choice has already been chosen. Stay tuned.

My PC has been fighting me for the past week. No further action will be taken.

Just waiting on this week's winner to reply. Their choice has already been chosen. Stay tuned.
This is something I'm still too new to know. How does one know they've won? Do you message them on GTP, or Google+, or PSN, or somewhere else?

After mediocre showings the first few races on Tuesday night, the High Speed Ring seemed the perfect place to show that a lone internal combustion engine is still the ideal powerplant in the 21st Century as it was in the 20th. I could have gone to my standby Alfa Romeo Giula Sprint Speciale for this, but to make it a more Apples-to-Apples comparison I instead opted for another Toyota front-drive hatchback, the 2007 Vitz RS. Boasting a full 107 Horsepower with no battery to manage, I fully expected the view above to be the view I would enjoy the whole race.

Instead, my view was more like this the first couple of laps as first Lewis' Prius and then the majority of the field blasted past as I wondered (very loudly aloud) "HOW IS THIS HAPPENING!?" Early on it looked like I was going to be due a healthy serving of crow as the electrically assisted hybrids dominated.

Midway through, the tables did turn. While the batteries in most of the other competitors wore out their charges and turned from being engines into being useless ballast on the long stretches of acceleration at HSR, the Vitz still had all available power at my disposal and I was able to charge all the way back through the field into second by the end of the race. Had Lewis and his Prius not shot into such a huge lead early and been able to conserve his battery, I likely would have been the victor in this competition.

In conclusion, I have to rate the Aqua/Prius C a Beater in anything other than a race of two laps or less. While hybrid technology has proven its viability both on the asphalt of Le Mans and under the hoods of the newest batch of hypercars, it just hasn't trickled down and made itself a viable choice in the Reasonable Priced segment of the automotive world for those who care more about the ratio of Power to Weight than Miles to the Gallon.

And noone's answered my question regarding the Prius TC, so I'm assuming it's bad?

It's OK. It handles well but really suffers from a CVT transmission. I needs either a proper trans or about another 100 or so horsepower. I did some testing against the CRZ Touring Car and the CRZ is a whole world better. The Prius TC can be a lot fun in career mode at the lesser races, but its a racecar against street cars.

Last edited:
And noone's answered my question regarding the Prius TC, so I'm assuming it's bad?

On the contrary, it's was decent, not exceptional by any means, but decent. :)

Neutral was my verdict on it.

The thorn in its side was the CR-Z TC that was lighter, had a conventual gearbox and could be upgraded further if needed.

If you wanted an spec racer for a one make series that removed as many variables as possible like, not being good with Manual shifting, not great using street tyres and uneven power band, then it was a great choice.

It just didn't stand out compared to its rivals.

Okay cheers guys, sounds like I'll give the Prius TC a miss. The CR-Z's great fun! Throw some RS tyres on it, a little tweaking in the suspension department and you got yourself a fun little pocket rocket!

But anyways, back to COTW business... isn't the new car normally announced today? Perhaps Brad's having another hibernation before announcing it.

Cheers!

Welcome to the madhouse, Private. I am Private Joker, and @McClarenDesign is Captain Snarker. Everyone else is a pleb. :lol:

Anyways, wonder what the madhouse will give us this week.

My theory is he's come home from work, then his wife's suggested he have a sleep, which has turned into a 16 hour hibernation.
(That might not be the case, but it's what happened a few weeks back with the Mazda RX500 so maybe history's repeated itself)

edit: Oh, wait. He's online now!

edit: Oh, wait. He's online now!

I've had overly-attached ex-girlfriends that didn't stalk me this much...

That said, congrats to @VXR , however we've already covered the car he chose and I still have yet to hear back from them. And so it goes...

Congratulations to Nismonath5 for being easily reachable and in the right place and the right time.

Oooh, goody!

Let me guess... Nissan?

How does this sound?

Eifel.jpg

It's the Mazda RX8 Concept LM Race Car! Sounds like you might want to reconsider changing your callsign from Nismo to Zoom Zoom.

And that argyle is now apparently, a thing.

This week's "Playing With TTs!" takes place in beautiful Victoria, Australia, at the Philip Island Circuit (courtesy of nullerkatten69). So if you're done following every step I take, every move I make, every breath I take, how about putting in a few hot laps on the track?

McClarenDesign is Under Investigation for intentional sandbagging on this week's announcement in an attempt to skew the Balance of Performance by getting more practice time with the car than anyone else.

The onboard telemetry shows that the lack of pace in question was neither intentional nor avoidable. No further action will be taken.

Pvt. Joker has been demoted to Pleb and is not longer eligible for benefits upon retirement.

This week's announcement was filmed before a live studio audience.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back