Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

OK, so I wasted a perfectly good lunch hour for this review, hope it comes in handy for Saturday racers. I sadly will not be there - my son and I will be practicing/preparing for a kart race on Sun.

Remember, if you don't win, you're out of the family!

Congratulations todally_lit! Your debut has earned you this week's choice of the Car of the Week!

Woohoo! I know just the one. Thanks for the opportunity!

Don't thank me, thank Al Grimaldi. So, what's it gonna be?

44c1a8b2540571b6b7c51858f8cc0e75.jpg

It's the 1986 Toyota MR2 1600 G-Limited Super Charger!!!

I was going to pick the Isuzu Piazza, but I see it was picked already.

Advice to all - "corner entry speed is critical otherwise you'll lose the rear end".

Don't be sad. Just because it's already been picked doesn't mean you can't still post a review. Everyone is welcome to share their thoughts on any of the cars that came before.

This week's "Playing With TTs!" event takes place at SSR5, just the spot to let the rear hang out!

img_20160226_142841-jpg.518835

Toyota MR2 1600 G-Limited Super Charger '86
400pp/450pp​

Tuned for version 1.2x
No oil change
Suspension (Full Custom) - Comfort Soft Tires
Ride Height (mm): 115 / 115
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 2.25 / 3.26
Dampers (Compression): 5 / 4
Dampers (Extension): 6 / 8
Anti-Roll Bars: 5 / 4
Camber Angle (-): 0.2 / 0.6
Toe Angle: +0.09 / +0.45

Brake Balance Controller
Standard Brakes
Brake Balance: 5 / 5

Drivetrain
Initial Torque: 11
Acceleration Sensitivity: 42
Braking Sensitivity: 42
Twin-plate Clutch
Standard propeller shaft

Power for 175BHP/228Nm/400pp
Limiter - 98.3%
Engine stage 0 - Standard
Sports Computer
Stranded Exhaust
Standard Exhaust Manifold
Sports Catalytic Converter
Tuning Intake
Power Limiter 99.7%
Engine Stage 1
Sports Computer
Semi-Racing Exhaust
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Sports Catalytic Converter
Standard Intake
Bigger Super Charger

Gearbox (Full Custom)
Max Speed 250 km/h
#1___3.166
#2___2.050
#3___1.481
#4___1.166
#5___0.916
#6___0.725

Body weight 1070kg - NO Body Rigidity!

Wheels STANDARD SIZE: RAYS TE37V (1.) Bronze/Golden

Close to replica, springs aren't replica, but all others are.
For replica springs here is several good choices to pick type what suits your driving style, first spring sets with
Sway-bar(ARB as on settings):
3.57/4.46 - 200/250lb Ground control suggestion
2.50/4.00 - Enthusiast suggestion - personal cruising favorite
2.90/5.00 - TRD setup - bit loose, great stability suit slight drift during fast lapping
4.00/6.00 - Cusco setup - stiffer, nice to drive

No sway-bar / ARB 1/1 settings:
5.36/3.57 - 300/200lb Enthusiast suggestion
6.61/4.46 - 370/250lb Enthusiast suggestion - personal favorite for no sway-bar

Gearbox is Toyota C60 6 speed box from Celica build in MR2 housing. I had engine stage 1 installed with other 400pp power parts when doing gearbox.

2-way mechanical LSD with compromise of enthusiast suggestions hitting close 55/55% locking rate.

This was first just suspension test, ended up nice all-around cruiser, freaking fun car to drive.
Personal setup for 450pp/SS/noABS is Cusco with 112mm ride height and 6/6 brakes.

This car got my attention accidentally, somewhere on YouTube saw nice video of car, partly telling story of car, had to do quick research and follow few enthusiast forums to get inner being of this car on GT6.

First impression on stock didn't sell car to me, nailing real-world setup on it and true nature came out. Then car was sold directly, but after seeing so many ways of setups what people use in real-life had to check what kind of personalities this car can have, car just keep me hooked with different variations where you can tune it.. Didn't have choice to post only one setup, had to give few choices for others too.
My personal favorite is no-ARB setup on racing or track day style driving, then there is one with ARB when just want to cruise, or for fooling around there is setup in that purpose too.

I'll give proper review of no-ARB setup later, gotta take few laps again to have whole story in mind.

Well, before the Mazda passes the guard to the MR-2 (another JDM car with a hyphenated name, how ironic), allow me to say a couple of things in something that has been way overdue;

Rotary Wave, then: Mazda RX-8 Concept LM Race Car

Hello, and welcome once again to another delayed edition of Niku’s COTW Reviews; where cars get abused, jokes get overused and rotaries go brap-brap-braaaaaap!

Braaaaaap! Braaaaaaaap!

Ah, my apologies, I got caught up in the moment. Surely a professional Gran Turismo car reviewer such as yours truly would have learned how to behave by now, but as it turns out, all it takes is one “brap” and I am right back in childish mode. Such is the power of Japan’s loudest automotive tale; the Wankel rotary engine. Mazda, the master of refurbishing other countries’ engineering into their own brand identity, inherited the ailing brainchild of German engineer Felix Wankel and turned it into one of Japan’s brightest engine layouts. The story should be well-known by now; from sedans to coupes, Mazda tried everything to make the Wankel engine a veritable alternative to conventional petrol engines, but stiff emission laws and the Wankel’s addiction to oil nearly killed it in 2012, when the last RX-8 howled from the brand’s Hiroshima facilities.

But prior to that untimely death, the RX-8 was eagerly awaited by every diehard car fan in Japan. Including, of course, our esteemed friends at Polyphony Digital; the 2001 concept was one of the star attractions of both GT3 and its concept-centric counterpart GT Concept 2002: Tokyo-Geneva, and when the RX-8 finally became a reality, GT4 was right there to pay it due homage. Japan was ecstatic to have one of its prime sports cars back, but there was something amiss at PD; the need for a monster racer based on the RX-8 chassis. And soon, GT4 would bring that idea into life;

City of Arts and Sciences - Night_4.jpg

Mazda RX-8 Concept LM Race Car. Codename: RENESIS' Genesis

The one and only Mazda RX-8 Concept LM. One look at it and everyone can easily state its business. If the infamously large diffusers do not help describe its purpose, then the classic Renown-inspired livery will. This, ladies and gentlemen, is a racing Rotary Mazda. Its livery may be almost as overplayed as the classic Gulf livery, but it will never get old. PD’s choice to use the number 55 as its number plate is just the tip of a very obvious iceberg, and the bolded blue letters reading “RENESIS” serve as a display of pride. A pride mostly tied to that legendary day in France, when a lone wolf Mazda prototype brought an entire German empire down on its knees in one of the most unexpected Le Mans races in racing history.

But why do this to an RX-8? Perhaps I should get some information on this… And I know who to call

*picks up phone and dials a certain number*

-Hello, is this Translator-san?

-Yes, what is it!? I swear, if it is another question about GT Sport’s London event, I swear I will have Interpol arrest you on sight!

-No, Translator-san, this is Niku speaking! Niku!

-Niku-san…? Oh thank God, a person I can trust… My apologies, it’s just that…

-Yeah yeah, it’s been a rough week for you, I know. I bet that all the secrecy is driving you nuts. But that’s not the reason why I am calling you. Could you get your car encyclopedia out for a second? I’m looking for info on a Mazda…

-Ok, which Mazda are you looking for?

-The RX-8 Concept LM.

-Ok, just a second… Ah, here it is;

Translator-san says:
“(…) But when you consider the RX-8’s flowing design, or its engine, mounted 60 mm further back and 40 mm lower than the RX-7s, the intention is pure sports car. As a result, the RX-8 was used as the base for Gran Turismo’s original racing version, the Concept LM. This version was specifically designed to compete in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, arguably the symbol of Mazda’s motorsports DNA.”

-Well wouldn’t you know it…? It really is a GT special. Thanks Translator-san, you’re a good pal.

-You are welcome, Niku-san. But before you go, can I ask you a question? What is going on with Brad-san? He has not called me for quite a while, and I am worried that something bad happened…

-Oh, McClaren? There’s nothing wrong with the guy, it’s just F1 season. And you know how much he works towards that spectrum, especially now that his favorite team is going through its harshest times yet. Think of him as a member of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, trying to get a close friend through a bad moment…

-Sauber’s issues, correct? It is a shame. Hopefully they can recover from their financial issues. They deserve better, after all Peter Sauber has gone through to keep the team afloat. Be sure to give Brad my regards, alright?

-Sure, I’ll let him know. See you around, Translator-san.

Heh, that Brad… Much like Translator-san, he has to deal with causes that have had better days. I feel sorry for both of them, maybe the stars can shine brighter one day. But back to the task at hand, what makes this RX a racing monster with only Le Mans on its mind?

Mid-Field Raceway_4.jpg

For the appetizer, the RX-8’s body received a thorough aerodynamic treatment; alongside the big chunk of carbon otherwise known as a front diffuser, the rear gets a large sculptured diffuser of its own, complete with a triangular red badge between the two center-mounted exhausts, symbolizing the classic metal triangle that powers the RX-8’s Renesis engine. The two giant holes that appear on each side of the exhaust centerpiece are another sign of this car’s quest to get as much airflow as possible without sacrificing top speed. And with the wide body kit comes a mild rear spoiler, the final two touches that keep this car glued to the road for the sake of racing pace. It’s a straight-forward approach, but PD’s efforts to make this a veritable choice for Le Mans racing can be seen well. However, grip and aerodynamics alone do not make a great racecar, as you also need one big meaty piece of mechanical engineering powering those aerodynamics to get that grip. So, what powers this beastly Mazda?

Do not worry, it is still that familiar Renesis engine that production RX-8s came with. Needless to say, this particular Renesis engine gained a few steroids to compete in the highest echelons of racing at Le Mans. Said steroids come in form of a single high-revving turbocharger unit, offering 493 horses (without oil change, 525 with oil change) for anyone who dares to tame the RX. With the car’s purpose to race at Le Mans, power comes late in the car’s rev range, as those 490-plus horses reach their maximum at 7,000 rpm, whereas the 425 lb.ft of torque only come in full force at 6,000 rpm. This is not a car for light and tight tracks, this is a car that focuses on top-end power and speed ones. Ones such as Le Mans, one would say… Getting the car past the red line is meaningless; your best bet is to shift as soon as you hit 8,000 rpm. Nothing more, nothing less; more will get you in needle-bouncing territory, while less will keep you away from the car’s strongest power zone.

With sound aerodynamics and a powerful turbocharged Renesis, the RX-8’s spec sheet looks better with each passing sentence. But one last test awaits our valiant hero; the handling test. No Le Mans car is suited for Le Mans if it can’t handle more than the Mulsanne straight, and the RX-8 will be no good as an all-around race car if it is away from that top speed comfort zone. And that is why us COTW exist; to get these cars out of their comfortable couches and into the rough stuff…

Mid-Field Raceway_1.jpg

The venue: Midfield Raceway. One field of nine very eager drivers, from all across Europe and America. Ten fast-paced laps, all assisted by fast fuel and tire consumption. This was the proper recipe to test cars like these, especially with such competent drivers. And did we ever put this car to the test…

The RX-8’s handling is wonderfully stable; body roll is virtually non-existent, all tires find grip in most situations and said grip is readily available. The brakes are another highlight, as they provide great stopping power even when you think there is not enough space to shift down to a desired gear. It certainly feels like a racing car, as if it were a Touring Car converted to the best possible GT1 spec. And this is no faint praise; the RX-8 is one of the best-handling Gran Turismo LM cars, if not the best. Its stability is noteworthy for how easy it is to maneuver at high speeds. Most LM cars lure the driver into a false sense of security, making him think he has everything under control at the cars’ highest speeds. But then, when the driver adds one more bit of steering input, those cars’ rear ends snap into oversteer so sudden that it gives the driver no chance to correct his inputs. Vehicles such as the Pagani Zonda LM suffer from this, mainly due to their MR layouts, seemingly broken by GT6’s handling system. But regardless of the existence of that issue, the RX-8 strays far from that handling behavior, which makes it beginner-friendly. The RX-8 can make Audi R8 GT3 cars blush if given the chance, especially if one is running the full 525 hp setup. As for the gearbox, it does a commendable effort to keep the car within the best possible rev range, so that the huge turbo has ample chances to spool up and deliver the vicious top end grunt that you wouldn’t expect from a 1.3-litre engine.

So, you may ask; “Is there more to this? You are feeling queasy about something and you are about to mention that, aren’t you?” The answer to that question is twofold, because I do know this car well. Quite well, in fact; rewinding back to happier days, when Gran Turismo’s community was not merely stuck in discussions about PD’s approach to game design and production, I was racing more actively in GT5’s online scene. And there was one specific website that hosted races where I raced often; GTArena.com. One of its championships consisted mostly of under-600PP racing cars, meaning that the RX-8 was eligible to participate in said championship. After testing the car out of sheer curiosity, I was smitten by its stability and driver-friendly character, leading to me choosing the car to drive the full championship. Sadly, the championship itself was short-lived due to lack of participants, but there was time for one fateful race in Madrid before that; taking the pole, I managed to survive a field of more experienced drivers and my own inexperience in such environments to win the race. It was an enlightening experience to say the least, and one that still comes back in my mind as a GT player. To learn how it feels to be chased by a pack of wild wolves, chasing you down and waiting for one single mistake, for then to overtake you… It is adrenaline-inducing, I will tell you that much.

Then GT6 came around, and the Midfield Trophy race hosted by Rallymorten earlier this year… I wanted to use the RX-8 once again as a 600PP category driver, but felt that the car was lacking in power. Therefore, I enlisted the help of fellow GTPer, British Youtuber HammerStudiosGaming, to tune my car in order to make it even more competitive. But sadly, it was not meant to be; not only were cars such as the Honda HSV-010 more competitive around Midfield, the race was cut short due to a PSN malfunction that erased most drivers from the race itself. Not too shortly thereafter, the race was red flagged, never to be restarted.

Mid-Field Raceway_3.jpg

It was during practice for that Midfield race when I discovered the RX-8’s biggest fault, one that prevents this car from being a full sleeper in stock guise; low-speed corner handling. In races prior to this Midfield of the Week 10-lap race, I experienced this issue first-hand, and it did not feel good to see said issue arise. No matter how carefully you use your accelerator pedal, the car’s rear end will step out slightly on low-speed corner exits. From second gear to third gear, the turbo kicks in and sends just a little bit too much power to make the car truly stable in these situations, something which in return can catch drivers unaware. With the RX8’s otherwise stellar stability, this issue only gets more amplified, and the gap between both sides of the car’s personality is widened. Looking back at the car’s story, it is understandable that PD focused on making the Mazda capable of maintaining its composure when speeds are higher, but their quest for Le Mans success impaired the LM’s abilities as a more all-round-type racing car. And then there’s the other issue, the competition. You see, despite all these pictures at Midfield showing a RX-8 (or more in the case where there are multiple cars). those with keen memory will remember what yours truly was driving in this race;

Mid-Field Raceway_2.jpg

Nissan 350Z LM Concept. Codename: Dats-LM

The Nissan 350Z LM Concept. It may look chunkier, it may be heavier, but this car’s performance impressed me beyond my wildest expectations. The spec sheet did not look promising when I first saw it; with 499 hp and 1120 kg, the 350 conceded both power and lightness to the Mazda and in my mind, those disadvantages would eventually lead to my demise.

But as it turned out, I was selling the Nissan short. It is strange that many are willing to sing the praises about Mazda’s RX-7 TC and the RX-7 LM models, when the Nissan did a surprisingly good job of its own in my wayward hands. When you consider that the 350Z costs the same as the RX-8 but does not surpass it in any special way in terms of power and weight, and has a worse weight distribution than the Mazda, it is awe-inducing that this piece of Portuguese meat managed to drive it all the way into a second place. Why did I manage to do this? Well, to put it bluntly, because the 350Z is better-behaved; even in low gears, the rear tires never stepped out of line, in any of Midfield’s corners. Despite the 53:47 weight distribution ratio, the car felt more balanced than the Mazda, which features a dead-on perfect 50:50 weight ratio. Once I grasped the Nissan’s limits, and discovered that it was far more lenient on low-speed corners than the RX, I managed to have a properly competitive race against the rest of the field. In the end, as usual, I was not able to beat the ever capable Vic Reigns, but since my COTW policy dictates that 2nd place finishes in races involving Vic count as a victory, I can say I am pretty happy with the way that race turned out. Can you blame me for treating a comeback such as this like a victory?

In the end, the RX-8 has not lost my respect. Yes, I dislike its tendency to lose composure in corners where I have to take things slowly, but it is still one of Gran Turismo’s best fictional LM racing cars. It has the grunt on the go, and when you are not driving through 2nd gear corners it is more planted than a vase of roses on a professional garden. But the steep price tag of 1,000,000 credits, the poorly detailed body and competition from modern Japanese and American racing cars prevent it from being the best car on its own category. Against vehicles such as the HSV-010, the Mazda lacks sheer acceleration and better aerodynamics, but the final nail in the coffin comes from the fact that cars like the 350Z can keep up and beat the Mazda at its own game. Not to mention the greatest LM race car of all; the Ford GT LM, both the brutal Spec II and its newer Test Car sibling. They may cost a whole lot more than the RX-8 and the 350Z (1,600,000 for the Spec II and 1,800,000 for the Test Car version), they also bring a whole lot more to the table, mainly Premium status (for the Test Car) and sheer top speed as well as better honed track setups (both cars). Do they oversteer a bit more than the RX-8? Indeed, but they also go faster once you get past said oversteer. It is inevitable, much like this car’s chances of, one day, being evicted from future Gran Turismo games due to its aging Standard status. So, for now, let us bid farewell to a true warrior, who pays due homage to a way of life that refuses to die. With the RX-Vision promising a long-awaited return to roots, could we see Polyphony Digital repeat history? Nobody knows, but the RX-8 can fill its shoes for the time being…

City of Arts and Sciences - Night_5.jpg

Best:
  • Nostalgic livery true to its origins;
  • Easy-to-understand driving behavior;
  • Enough power for high-speed tracks.
Worst:
  • Nostalgic livery is also neglected, having to resort to old GT4 graphical assets;
  • Twitchy rear end in low-speed corners;
  • Costly to afford.
Final veredict: Grey Zone (my definition for neutral cars); the Mazda is one of the best under-600PP racing cars I have driven, and this is no faint praise. Grippy enough to withstand high speeds and stable enough to get past most corners, it's an unsung hero due to its Standard status. But the twitchy behavior in corners where speeds are lower prevent it from being a true sleeper, especially when the heavier 350Z LM was capable of matching the Mazda's pace at Midfield. It's not quite legendary, but the RX-8 commands respect...

At Tsukuba Rob blasted off the starting line
Erm, he spent the first four laps trying to get by me... :cool:

Anyways, onto this week's storyline...

Curse my steep driveway!!! It's as if it didn't want me to put the RX-8 in the garage! However, a little forward thinking (and learning from Lit's mistakes) led me to take the front bumper and splitter off before putting it in the garage. I was quite surprised, in the 40 or so seconds it took me to put the RX-8 in there, I only recieved twelve noise control complaints. My neighbours will never learn, Racecars = LOUD!!!!

Hanging the keys on the rack, I sat down and almost instantly there was a knock at the door. I opened it, and a very well dressed old man stood at the door.

"Good evening Master Nismo, I am here to deliver the keys to your new Car of The Week." He said in the most British accent imaginable.

"Really? Damn, Brad announced it pretty early this week!"

"Yes, well Master Bradley wanted to avoid a repeat of last week's very late reveal. This week's vehicle is the Toyota MR2 Supercharged."

"MR2, aye? Awesome!" I said, though I didn't sound too enthusiastic.

He handed me a key. "Now if you'll please excuse me, I must return to McClaren Manor." He turned to leave, climbed into a black RollsRoyce Phantom, and cruised off.

Hmmm. This is going to be interesting. I've never owned, nor really cared for the MR2, so I have no idea what to expect. I'll find out once I get home from college..

I completely missed the pit entrance and had two separate drive through penalties. Destroyed my race, but I still finished well. I like the long races. Especially with racecars. We should do more of them.
Yea, which is why I suggested the 10 lapper at MidField on Saturday, if you have a good car, longer races can be fun!

The supercharged MR2 was one of the last cars I re-tested, about 2 months ago. I always enjoy driving the MR2, especially the first and third generations. I know everyone loves the SW20, and while it is very fast in comparison, it's also quite heavy and not at all easy to hot-lap.

Toyota MR2 1600 G-Limited Super Charger '86
1.6L
140 hp / 6,500 rpm
137 ft-lb / 4,500 rpm
1,070 kg (2,359 lbs)
371 pp

The supercharger adds 13 horses and 27 ft-lbs of torque on top of the base MR2. To my surprise, this car is also lighter, by a huge 50 kg. At Mid-Field Raceway, the difference in best lap time is just over 2 seconds.

Top speed on track: 116 mph (5 mph faster than the base MR2)

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:31.306 - 396 - Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V '01
1:31.363 - 386 - Nissan Skyline GTS25 Type S (R32) '91
1:31.384 - 381 - Nissan Silvia Spec-S Aero (S15) '99
1:31.404 - 390 - Mini Cooper S Countryman (R60) '11
1:31.414 - 401 - Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione '91
1:31.417 - 377 - MG TF160 '03
1:31.580 - 399 - Pontiac Sunfire GXP Concept '02
1:31.606 - 387 - Toyota Corolla Runx Z Aerotourer '02
1:31.644 - 373 - Toyota 2000GT '67
1:31.757 - 371 - Toyota MR2 1600 G-Limited Super Charger '86
1:31.872 - 387 - Mazda Axela 23S '03
1:31.901 - 387 - Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 24V '98
1:31.920 - 394 - Opel Vectra 3.2 V6 '03
1:31.934 - 375 - Nissan Fairlady 2000 (SR311) '68
1:31.938 - 375 - Spoon CR-Z
1:31.948 - 379 - Toyota Celica 2000GT-R (ST162) '86
1:31.967 - 378 - Nissan 240ZG (HS30) '71
1:31.968 - 382 - Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.4 T Sport '09
1:32.109 - 388 - Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST165) '86
1:32.124 - 388 - BMW 120d '04
1:32.247 - 385 - Citroën C4 Coupe 2.0VTS '05

Interesting mix of cars here. Nothing else from the mid-late 80's besides Toyota's own Celica.

It's a sleeper on tight, twisty tracks with minimal straights, but I have to call it a beater since a common Mazda 3 (Axela) is as quick around Mid-Field.

I completely missed the pit entrance and had two separate drive through penalties. Destroyed my race, but I still finished well. I like the long races. Especially with racecars. We should do more of them.

Yea, which is why I suggested the 10 lapper at MidField on Saturday, if you have a good car, longer races can be fun!

Yeah the mini endurances was fun to do. It would be fun to do some small endurances every once in a while.

Erm, he spent the first four laps trying to get by me... :cool:

Well, excuuuuse ME, Sir Nismo! I guess I should give you partial credit for my second place. If Rob had been out front from the beginning, I'm not sure I could have caught him.

I completely missed the pit entrance and had two separate drive through penalties.

Well, now I don't feel so bad :cheers:

Well, excuuuuse ME, Sir Nismo! I guess I should give you partial credit for my second place. If Rob had been out front from the beginning, I'm not sure I could have caught him.

Well, now I don't feel so bad :cheers:

Some tracks pit-lanes are tricky to get right and not have to go around for a second time. The one track that is tricky for me to get right is Daytona's Pit-lane entrance.

Daytona's pits I don't have all that much trouble with, since in past NASCAR games I've played I needed to get below 55 MPH before hitting pit entry to avoid a speeding penalty, so I'm used to being fairly conservative when coming in for a stop.

A track that's been a problem for me in the past was Fuji Speedway. It seems like you can just keep it floored and then swerve just as you hit the entry, but the turn angle is sharper than it looks on the overhead map and at least once I had to make a costly abort of a pit attempt and swerve back on track to avoid running into the pit wall.

Haven't had time to review...

Brand new DOOM, more work hours, etc.

Didn't get to drive the RX8, but previous experience in GT4 and 5 tells me it's a major sleeper. (Or just really underrated.)

As for this week's car...I have no access to my PS3. I'll give it a Undecided vote due to extenuating circumstances.

The supercharged MR2 was one of the last cars I re-tested, about 2 months ago. I always enjoy driving the MR2, especially the first and third generations. I know everyone loves the SW20, and while it is very fast in comparison, it's also quite heavy and not at all easy to hot-lap.

Well the perfect MR2 for me would be an union of the AW11's supercharged engine with the last of the MRS breed, although some have somewhat recreated that by grabbing the engine used in the Pontiac Vibe GT (as well as other cars) and placing it on the back of a MRS. While I admire the SW20, I tend to despise how it tried to ape a Ferrari, because that means many tasteless drivers destroyed their cars trying to have a Toyoari that only makes a mockery out of both brands...

You know, something is bothering me about the weight figures for this car; many websites mention that the Supercharger version was subjected to several modifications to handle the supercharger unit, mainly modifications that increased the car's total weight (i.e. a brand new transmission). And in Car & Driver's 1987 test of the MR2, their spec sheet has the overall weight listed as being 2604lbs (that would be 1181 kilograms for people who despise the Imperial measuring system). Yet this particular GT6 model weighs less than the version without most of the heavy thingies that were used to make the Supercharger suitable for road use?

Something is fishy here, and I am not talking about a sushi restaurant...

Well the perfect MR2 for me would be an union of the AW11's supercharged engine with the last of the MRS breed, although some have somewhat recreated that by grabbing the engine used in the Pontiac Vibe GT (as well as other cars) and placing it on the back of a MRS. While I admire the SW20, I tend to despise how it tried to ape a Ferrari, because that means many tasteless drivers destroyed their cars trying to have a Toyoari that only makes a mockery out of both brands...

You know, something is bothering me about the weight figures for this car; many websites mention that the Supercharger version was subjected to several modifications to handle the supercharger unit, mainly modifications that increased the car's total weight (i.e. a brand new transmission). And in Car & Driver's 1987 test of the MR2, their spec sheet has the overall weight listed as being 2604lbs (that would be 1181 kilograms for people who despise the Imperial measuring system). Yet this particular GT6 model weighs less than the version without most of the heavy thingies that were used to make the Supercharger suitable for road use?

Something is fishy here, and I am not talking about a sushi restaurant...

And by fishy, do you mean fish-tail? That's what this car will do if you aren't cautious.

Also, Captain Snarker has missed his snark quota for two weeks now.

And by fishy, do you mean fish-tail? That's what this car will do if you aren't cautious.

Well that much is a given, knowing that it's a MR layout car. Unless some sort of miraculous setup is used, be sure to assume that most MR cars will kill you sideways, front and back.

Also, give Cap'n Snark a few days, that Barcelona Grand Prix had a lot to take in for him. Both as a Sauber fan and as a F1 fan...

Well that much is a given, knowing that it's a MR layout car. Unless some sort of miraculous setup is used, be sure to assume that most MR cars will kill you sideways, front and back.

This car is looser than.... oh, wait.....well it gives a whole new meaning to lack of grip. Not as bad as the Stratos or the Alpines, but I was really surprised at how it acts with SRF off.

That being said, after about 10 laps at this weeks TT I found myself having fun throwing it around. 👍 Kinda like a cheap date, fun for an evening or two, but I wouldn't take it home with me.

Unless some sort of miraculous setup is used, be sure to assume that most MR cars will kill you sideways, front and back.

This car is looser than.... oh, wait.....well it gives a whole new meaning to lack of grip. Not as bad as the Stratos or the Alpines, but I was really surprised at how it acts with SRF off.
So seeing myself in these comments, thoughts what I got too with GT6 stock, after installing AW11 basic stock suspension geometry and other "oem" parts it changed personality. You should give her a change to take you on dance where you lead, try that replica style setup what I posted above, she just say yes without arguing where to go or which way.

@Niku Driver HC Great review as par usual buddy. Miss ya too and your reviews over @ GTA. You know you are always welcome back :-)

Well, it's been a while since I saw you post here, PAPPA, good to see you. I'm just not sure if I can contribute to much over at GTA, with the focus having changed from GT5/6 to PCARS... I do not own PCARS, nor I really find any interest in doing so, so I don't know if I have a place to share reviews within that spectrum.

Either way, I will consider it, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the feedback. ;)👍

Well, it's been a while since I saw you post here, PAPPA, good to see you. I'm just not sure if I can contribute to much over at GTA, with the focus having changed from GT5/6 to PCARS... I do not own PCARS, nor I really find any interest in doing so, so I don't know if I have a place to share reviews within that spectrum.

Either way, I will consider it, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the feedback. ;)👍

I think for many GT6 has become a little long in the tooth and PCars being a stop gap. I think when GT Sports lands followed by GT7 normality will return.

Hope to to see you back sooner rather than later :-)

I think for many GT6 has become a little long in the tooth and PCars being a stop gap. I think when GT Sports lands followed by GT7 normality will return.

Hope to to see you back sooner rather than later :-)

Well, it will take a little while before I can get my mitts on a PS4, so for me GT6 is my own stop gap. Perhaps when GT Sport gains a few months under its belt, I may be better convinced to join the fray, but for now I want to get more mileage out of ye ol'PS3.

Of course, but for now you are more than welcome to join us at the COTW lobbies. Not forcing you, just some handing out some friendly advice... ;)

I'm going to save most of my opinions on the MR2 for the post-Saturday night review, but for now I'll go over the most obvious things about it.
Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit.jpg
The first thing that jumped out at me was the fish tailing. I suppose I should have expected as much, given that..
1. It's MR
2. It's on comfort tyres
3. I was racing without ASM
4. @Obelisk, @Niku Driver HC and @Draggon all warned us about it!

It's acceleration isn't mind blowing. Sure it probably was in the day, but nowadays it's nothing special. It can still outrun you if you got a crappy launch off the line, though. Try short-shifting a little bit so the supercharger can get to work earlier...
It puts out 147bhp. Which is odd, it actually feels like more. If I had to take a wild guess based on how it drives, I'd say it was 180bhp. It's got quite a bit of bite, it would be interesting to put it up against a later model MR2 and see how they compare... (hint, hint, nudge, nudge!)

At Monza, I tried using the Isuzu Bellett GT-R against it, thinking that low weight would favour the slightly less power (Kinda like Jack last week in that RX-7) however, the N/A Bellett's way too gutless against the S/C MR2. It lacked power, torque, gears, and was easily defeated. But hey, this is why we try these things, right?

Mid-Field Raceway.jpg

Mid-Field Raceway_1.jpg
My Tuesday race session was cut short, due to an increasing workload of assessments, exams and whatnot, but I'll be giving the MR2 a thorough shakedown on Saturday night, and deliver my opinions and verdict after then!

The first-gen MR2 is by far the slowest. It doesn't stand a chance against the third-gen.

1:25.768 - 435 - Toyota MR2 GT-S '97
1:27.991 - 404 - Toyota MR2 G-Limited '97
1:29.315 - 378 - Toyota MR2 Spyder (6MT) '02
1:29.973 - 376 - Toyota MR2 Spyder '99
1:31.757 - 371 - Toyota MR2 1600 G-Limited Super Charger '86
1:33.889 - 353 - Toyota MR2 1600 G '86

As for the Bellett GT-R well, it would need lots of upgrades just to be competitive.

1:37.019 - 347 - Isuzu Bellett 1600 GT-R '69

Yes, the Belllet may have a nice balanced poise in its handling, but the age gap between it and "our" MR2 just hinders the Isuzu's performance too much in terms of stock terms. And even when you try to skwer the first-gen's handling through some tyre tricks, it still won't make the MR2 that much more competitive.

The 3rd-gen MR2 may be the quickest, but I don't really try to compare it with "our" MR2 all that much. Why? Because I see the 3rd-gen more as a Silvia/200SX competitor, with engine power and size being similar in many ways. It's not a convertible, but rather a large(ish) junior coupe...

I do have a little plan for a comparison involving the MR2... let's just say that I'm scouring Asia for a decent candidate. :sly:

I'm guessing you all have seen the news about GTS but its coming out November 15 in the US and the 18th for UK. From the main photo from the article, we get couple new GT3 and GTLM cars such as the McLaren P1 GT3 and the Corvette C7R. Also we are receiving a livery editor, which I'm wondering how in-depth it will be and what limitation it will have. All in all I'm looking forward to GTS.

I'm guessing you all have seen the news about GTS but its coming out November 15 in the US and the 18th for UK. From the main photo from the article, we get couple new GT3 and GTLM cars such as the McLaren P1 GT3 and the Corvette C7R. Also we are receiving a livery editor, which I'm wondering how in-depth it will be and what limitation it will have. All in all I'm looking forward to GTS.
This will be my motivation to get a PS4.... I don't care if it's a cheap one, just anything that means I can join you guys in the next gen! Also that Mustang in the rally kit looks amazing!👍

The Toyota MR2 was never marketed in France as the "MR2" but instead as the "MR"... why? because in French, "Toyota MR2" (toyota m-r-deux) roughly translates to "S h i tt y Toyota". :D While this alone might be a reason to qualify the 86 Toyota MR2 as a beater of the odorous kind, a closer examination is in order ( :ill: eeewwe!) given the fishtail, snap oversteer, and close quarters racing we all experienced on Tuesday!

First, thanks to Nismo for the excellent snapshots of our Tues races, they capture high speed corners at the limit, close quarters racing, and the third picture is almost a freeze frame montage of corner entry :) . While the high speed cornering dynamics of the MR2 take some getting used to, once you achieve balance at mid corner it becomes possible to control the attitude of the car with the throttle: you're going to miss the apex? reduce throttle (dont let go of the throttle unless you crave disaster!). You overshot to the inside of the apex? increase throttle, maybe a little steering input to sling shot yourself out of the corner at max speed (low as that might be...)

So is the car a beater or a sleeper?

Beater: would this car make for a daily driver? sure, as long as there is no need for more than a single passenger. Lets face it, this is a toyota, it will easily hit the 200kmi (300k Km) mark with no more than routine maintenance. And, it will handle alcohol emergencies with an appropriate sense of urgency, and without losing any parts along the way.

Sleeper: Hell, the lines on the MKI MR2 certainly do not trumpet this vehicle as a speed deamon waiting to be unleashed. On the contrary, the MKI MR2 makes a statement closer to: "(sheepishly) excuse me, I'd like to take as small a space as possible, while still covering my internal parts with the fewest metal bends possible. Thank you, apologies again...". Then you get in, push it to its 70% point and it responds to everything you ask for, asking "is there anything else driver-San?" So you push a little more "hope that was satisfactory driver-San." Pretty soon you're at 100% and going like "..unexpectedly rewarding... yeehaw!" ... so you push a little further, because, you know, a little more "yeehaw" is always better, and that's when your apologetic, obedient little runabout snaps you about saying "is that the way you like it matafaka-San? let me whip you around the other way! Want more?"

OK, so I'm kind of ambivalent about calling this one, it is certainly a good beater. As far as a sleeper, yeah, it is a fairly understated little car, but when you push it too far it wakes up and kicks your a-z-z. Once you learn its limits, it can be very fun and rewarding to drive. So in the end, my final answer is: The MKI MR2 Supercharged is a beater, with some sleeper characteristics, that will beat you silly if you let it.

...and at this point I'll confess, that although I don't have an MKI MR2, I own deux MKII MRdeux! One is a trailer queen bone stock autocross car, the other a lightly modified daily driver also fun to autocross.

I have no quota. And you wouldn't understand my outdated humor, anyway. And get off of my lawn!

Also, give Cap'n Snark a few days, that Barcelona Grand Prix had a lot to take in for him. Both as a Sauber fan and as a F1 fan...

Sauber's performance was actually better than expected, thanks to penalties. Sadly, this may be another 2014, though I hope the new engine will prove me wrong. More discussion on Nico vs Lewis Friday night when I give Monza another go for my #F1Friday "When Sex Was Safe: The Nostalgia of Vintage Motorsports" series on Twitch.

I'm guessing you all have seen the news about GTS but its coming out November 15 in the US and the 18th for UK.

And now it's time to discuss the elephant in the room. No, the one next to my mother.

How shall we move on past GT6? Myself, I'm for the idea that we begin with GT Sport the same way we did with GT6, one month in (we'll say Dec 18th, as it's the first Sunday and 1 full month for the Euro kids). Granted, some of you may not be able to upgrade between now and then, and it's only by the grace of @Lewis_Hamilton_, @Vic Reign93, Redwood of London and Mazda that I'm able to. That said, you also now have time to prepare and save.

Should we wait until 2017, or perhaps until GT7 (though, 7 could be another 2+ years away)? I'll put a poll up on G+, but if you don't have a G+ account (And why not?! Get with the times!), feel free to PM me your vote and I'll include it in the final tally. Voting ends on May 28, the results of which will be formally announced when I announce the latest selection for that week's car on the 29th.

Back