Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Daihatsu Storia X4 '00
0.7L
118 hp / 7,000 rpm
94 ft-lb / 5,000 rpm
840 kg (1,852 lbs)
364 pp

Am I seeing things? 118 horsepower from less than 1 liter of displacement? Incredible! My '08 Honda Fit (Jazz) put out less power, with nearly double the engine size! Granted, my Fit was naturally aspirated, but still. Other 700cc models like the Beat, AZ-1, Copen etc. all have around 63 hp and are either FF, FR, or MR, which makes the Storia X4 look somewhat like a super-kei car.

Mid-Field Comfort Soft hot lap:

104 mph into Turn 1 with a minimum speed of 69 mph around the curve.

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:36.061 - 341 - Toyota Sera '92
1:36.549 - 364 - Daihatsu Storia X4 '00
1:36.627 - 339 - Nissan Exa Canopy L.A.Version Type S '88
1:36.652 - 349 - Fiat Punto HGT Abarth '00
1:36.668 - 338 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale '63
1:36.669 - 348 - Peugeot 106 Rallye '03
1:36.723 - 342 - Isuzu 117Coupé '68
1:36.839 - 349 - Isuzu Piazza XE '81
1:36.842 - 348 - Toyota Celica 1600GT (TA22) '70
1:36.918 - 343 - Mini Cooper '02
1:36.918 - 344 - Renault R8 Gordini '66
1:37.019 - 347 - Isuzu Bellett 1600 GT-R '69

Other cars with 364 PP:

1:34.241 - 364 - Nissan Fairlady Z 280Z-L 2seater (S130) '78

That Fiat Punto HGT Abarth '00 is a good shoe-in for some close racing against the Storia X4. Unfortunately, there are no other 4WD cars that would offer a fair match. I love the 4WD coupled with big horsepower from a tiny engine. Sleeper for me.

I know from past racing that Lewis has one of these in his arsenal and it's not to be trifled with. :D

It's pretty much a normal Storia, but focused with a homologation style without it being a full bore one.

It was built for Sub 1.0 engine class racing and that engine is that size to accommodate the turbo which under the regulations multiplies the engine size by a predetermined factor greater than 1

Oh and you think 118hp out of 713cc is nuts, throw some parts at it and you can get ungodly power for its size, to the tune of 343hp. :eek::eek:

Couple that with a full weight loss at 732kg and you get a power to weight ratio that'll have Supercars sweating at 469 HP per tonne which for context is 7 more than what a fully tuned Honda HSC Concept can make, and that has 489hp fully tuned. :drool::bowdown:

Pocket rocket? in tuned form it's a textbook Sleeper.

As for stock? we'll have an answer on Tuesday night. ;)

I am not a man of low-brow humor... Action to be taken: @McClarenDesign needs comedy classes.

1. Liar.
2. I had prepared a transcription of the Friday night F1 race, which proved that classes weren't needed but instead were being given.

However when I ran spell check, it took the entire transcription and corrected it to a single, middle finger. Seemed legit, so that's what I'm going with. Don't feel bad, though, as MY RACE ENGINEER also missed it.

As for Tuesday... I'm pretty sure we'll all enjoy what's been planned for Tuesday.

toscana_1-jpg.572032

"Reaching For The Stars"

toscana-jpg.572031

"Dab Of Oppo"

Last edited:
Cars within a second at Goodwood:

BMW 507 '57: 1:03.588
Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600 '65: 1:03.665
Alfa Romeo 166 2.5 V6 24V Sportronic '98: 1:04.070
Alpine A310 1600VE '73: 1:04.449
Daihatsu STORIA X4 '00: 1:04.530
Chrysler PT Cruiser '00: 1:04.891
Eagle Talon Esi '97: 1:04.907
Fiat Punto HGT Abarth '00: 1:05.055
Fiat Barchetta Giovane Due '00: 1:05.207

Oh look, our good PT Cruiser friend is right behind.

Holy spit, a podium finish! How's Our Dark Lord and Master going to relight the pilot?

Congratulations CORRUPTEDDISC! You've been selected to choose next week's car, despite or perhaps because of the predetermined criteria to do so was thrown out of a very high window with great velocity and warm intent.

HEY! You leave my mother out of this!

...waitaminute...

0.jpg

It's the 2000 Daihatsu Sirion/Storia X4!!!

Again, please leave my mother out of this...

I also highly recommend Mike's new weekly GT6 photo contest on his YouTube channel, the latest episode of which can be found here:

This week's tribute to breast feeding, "Playing With TTs!", is at Toscana! Because everyone deserves the chance to dodge spectators and local wildlife in equal proportion. Remember, you're only luck if you touch the passing cars and don't actually lose the limb in the process. Sadly, the Toyota Duet was not available at the time of this writing. Huey Lewis was the best I could do.

Oh, and @Nismonath5 is under investigation for improper handling of written materials as well as the unapproved flight plan of said materials, and will be reviewed upon the conclusion of this week. @Vic Reign93 is also under investigation for failing to report to race control in a timely manner, and instead listening to his gut feeling and gentleman's sausage. The FIA refuses to comment on the latter until the investigation has reached a conclusion. Both investigations carry the possibility of stiff punishment.

Gigitty.

Firstly thanks for the recommendation of the new photo competition, it's going very well so far. :D

Getting to this beast itself, which I'm prone to calling the "Jellybean from Hell" - well it's no secret that this is my favourite sleeper car on GT6. Such mighty specs in a supremely affordable package, one of the highest BHP/Liter outputs in the game, especially from a road car, and can outrun a 900 bhp Pontiac GTO 5.7 Coupe to the quarter mile thanks to its highly effective AWD pickup.

The primary reason why I feel that this is most definitely a sleeper is because Daihatsu [DRS] took what is almost universally considered to be a pensioners car, made virtually no visual changes at all, except a couple of small "X4" decals on the sides, which most of this cars' usual customers would probably assume is some manner of free incontinence medicine that Daihatsu is now offering free with each new vehicle. Upon purchasing one though, they would find themselves thoroughly mistaken, and with a healthy dose of facial tautness which they hadn't anticipated thanks to the X4's launch off of the line.

The overall handling, and in particular the steering can sometimes be a little heavy due to the AWD, but with very minor changes can be made to take corners not unlike a DTM Touring Car. Couple the huge grip with its short wheelbase and comparatively wide track and you get a very stable but nimble hatch which is perfect for tight, technical circuits.

Much of the reason why I love certain cars has to do with their real-world advantages too, such as fuel economy and practicality, and although these things mean very little on a racing game, the low price, practical layout, insane performance and even superb fuel economy of the real version of this machine have a huge bearing on my in-game love for it.

Firstly thanks for the recommendation of the new photo competition, it's going very well so far.
Much of the reason why I love certain cars has to do with their real-world advantages too, such as fuel economy and practicality, and although these things mean very little on a racing game, the low price, practical layout, insane performance and even superb fuel economy of the real version of this machine have a huge bearing on my in-game love for it.

1. I seriously need to start entering your competition. Been a busy week though.
2. Any racer worth their salt knows how sexy fuel economy actually is. See the video below for my personal experience, then verify by asking this year's Indy 500 winner Alex Rossi. Nuff said!

Well, with @CORRUPTEDDISC making the choice for this week, I was fearing that we would have to drive the Jay Leno Tank Car or something along those lines... (some may get this reference, others may not. I'm not saying you will be deemed ignorant for not knowing, you were just not aware :P) Fortunately, he spared us of that fearsome fate, thank Her Majesty. Oh, and that third paragraph in your last post was priceless, brilliant example of British humour right there. :lol:

As for the Daihatsu... well, I don't like it.

I love it. For many reasons, some of which already have been mentioned here; it goes like stink, grips like a clam, and it won't fear a dirt track on its spare time. To get all this from a pint-sized first-generation Sirion, a notoriously bad car in other versions, proves just how good Daihatsu was at this "sporty downsizing" thing before it became the norm. Had Daihatsu not been greedy by keeping the X4 to the JDM market, their history in Europe could have been different... I say "could have", primarily because while the Charade Gtti was also brilliant for its time and was praised by the motoring press, nowadays there are as many of those on the road as there are Renault Safrane Biturbos. You spotted a Ferrari? Bah, try to spot a mint Daihatsu Charade, now that's a rare car...

But yes, the Storia/Sirion X4 is a wonderful piece of kei-car motoring. Not quite a kei-car due to the rally regulations in Japan demanding a bigger engine, but it was based on kei, and that's what matters. It was born from a blue collar family, yet it could kick a LanEvo to the curb on a rally stage... This video more or less speaks volumes for the Storia's ability to trounce even the tightest rally stage. Enjoy!

Since I got booted out of the lobby on Tuesday (Thanks to me running out of data, now I'm back to dial-up speed until my plan ticks over in a few days), I couldn't give the Sirion a proper test amongst other Sirions. So I gave it a few arcade races to see what it could do.

Gran Turismo Arena (Layout A).jpg

Against typical opposition (Mazda 6s, S13 Silvias, Pugeot 206s, etc) it seems to lack a bit in the acceleration, but once it hits the dirt, OOOOH baby, it comes into a league of its own! While it's not mind numbingly fast, it handles the dirt with confidence, slowly eating away at the distance between it and the leader until it takes over and embarrasses the poor sod who just got beaten in his Citroen C4..
I'm hoping to be there for Saturday's racing, but no promises sadly. I'll do a review on it one way or the other though!

Rally car in disguise...
Syracuse.jpg
"It's CROSS-FOUR, not X4!!!!"

I remember a mate of mine used to own one of these. It was white, with generic hubcaps and the clearcoat peeling off. It wasn't an X4, although he'd nicked some X4 stickers and slapped them on the sides. It was a rough old vessel, beat up, under-loved, and over-worked.

Thankfully in GT, we don't need to worry about sunburnt paint, horrid hubcaps and general depreciation. So I bought my car, prepared it as I usually do, and....

...ran out of data just as I was doing my first race... :banghead:

I gave it a play around in the arcade mode, though, where it displayed incredible pace for a 700cc, beating cars like the Citroen C4, Nissan Leaf, Honda Integra and even a Mazda MX-5!

Gran Turismo Arena (Layout A).jpg

This is so obviously offline, look! No one's trying to drift... :lol:

I managed to race on Saturday though! :sly: I hooked up my PS3 to my mother's phone's mobile data hotspot (Cos she never uses her data, and it rolls over, so she had like 5gb to burn!) and I was glitch-free all night! In fact I'm using that same hotspot to type up this review now!

Against real human opposition, the Sirion remains very competitive and fun to drive, even with nothing but an oil change. It's relatively light and responsive, with good acceleration and a slight tendency to understeer, not uncommon on 4WD cars. It does however, feel a bit babyish. By that I mean it's very forgiving, extremely easy to drive, and hard to lose control. It's almost as if PD made it "safe to drive" on purpose, providing beginners with a cheap, easy to drive vehicle for them to hone their racecraft in and gain useful racing experience, a bit like a big go-kart, all the while saving enough money to upgrade to an S15 Silvia, Alfa Romeo Brera, Chevrolet Camaro, whatever higher-spec car they want to get next.

Deep Forest Raceway_2.jpg

A Clio, a Starlet, a Bluebird and even a CZ-3 Tarmac took on the Sirion, but although some beat it, none could lose it!

Something interesting to note that @Niku Driver HC brought up was the gearbox. The first three gears are nice and close together, 4th and 5th are pretty long in comparison. Not stupidly long, but long enough to notice. This means if you're in 4th gear and you lose some speed by grazing a wall or something like that, shift immediately back to 3rd to keep the boost flowing and the power up there, otherwise the engine will bog and you'll lose a lot of ground.

Off road is where the Sirion shines brightest. Being a base rally car, it is no doubt at home on the rougher surfaces. Once again it displays amazing pace considering the small output and generally low-end stats, and on Saturday Vic in a Sirion kept up with Asher in a CZ-3 Tarmac with a gap of only 0.2 seconds between them, testament to the Sirion's sleeper abilities!

Eiger Nordwand W Trail .jpg

WRC this ain't, but for 13k you can't complain!

Speaking of sleeper, this car is the definition of that word. It looks completely boring, completely unassuming, completely bland, and yet it will completely embarrass modern WRC base models! As @CORRUPTEDDISC mentioned earlier, maxed out this thing puts out 340bhp, which is phenominal for an engine less than half the size of any other rally car in GT. Even the Renault R8 Gordini only puts out 313bhp maxed! :eek:

Deep Forest Raceway_1.jpg

Deep Forest.. The perfect combination of tight'n'technical and fast'n'flowing!

It's a sleeper, no doubt. It may well be the sleeper-iest of the sleepers! It's got brilliant handling, loads of grip, is easy to drive, and quick off the mark! :D 👍 The Sirion is proof that power isn't everything. Sometimes a well setup handling package, lack of weight and acceleration of forced induction is all you need to have fun and go fast!

*cough cough*

Uhh... Hi! :cheers:

After reading all the 182 pages with joy in about 1 week i finally can (hope so atleast) participate in this thread! First of all, thank you all for your glorious posts, the atmosphere is unbelivable here! :bowdown: I had a really good laugh reading all the "few" posts (5445 isn´t much *cough cough* :crazy:) :lol:
Sooo... The Daihatsu Sirion... A great car, feels abit like a Elise on 4WD :D Thought thx to its 58/42 weight distribution it´s not that balanced. Still i have to call this one a sleeper, because thought it lacks the power on straights, it makes almost all up on it in the corners :sly:
Sooo, itsa sleeper! 👍

Hopefully i can join your races sometime, at the moment i sadly have very weak (means useless) internet, but hopefully soon i´ll move to a bigger city, so this internet problem is easily solveable! :dopey:

Cheers :)

*cough cough*

After reading all the 182 pages with joy in about 1 week i finally can (hope so atleast) participate in this thread! First of all, thank you all for your glorious posts, the atmosphere is unbelivable here! :bowdown: I had a really good laugh reading all the "few" posts (5445 isn´t much *cough cough* :crazy:) :lol:
Sooo... The Daihatsu Sirion... A great car, feels abit like a Elise on 4WD :D Thought thx to its 58/42 weight distribution it´s not that balanced. Still i have to call this one a sleeper, because thought it lacks the power on straights, it makes almost all up on it in the corners :sly:
Sooo, itsa sleeper! 👍

Hopefully i can join your races sometime, at the moment i sadly have very weak (means useless) internet, but hopefully soon i´ll move to a bigger city, so this internet problem is easily solveable! :dopey:

Welcome aboard :)👍 :cheers:

*cough cough*

Sooo, itsa sleeper! 👍

Welcome! Just don't forget, @McClarenDesign is king here and can mercilessly mock anyone on here. (On COTW that is)

Here's the officially unofficial results for the "DIEhatsu twins" Playing with TT's event...

chill-audette: 2:04.636
BaronBlitzRed: 2:06.473
G_ASHER: 2:06.625
Rob_on_Drums: 2:09.750

Well, I've got to agree that it gets a Sleeper and a Keeper rating... way too many positive attributes to deny that! Every time I buy one in a Gran Turismo game, I get the Storia just because its name reminds me of my high school days with this...

EDIT:

Proof if there's a new track, @Vic Reign93 and I usually jump at the chance to try it out...

ZjNX6i3.jpg

9yCHtIT.jpg

wKmLaGb.jpg

0vR8cXq.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
I had a really good laugh reading all the "few" posts (5445 isn´t much *cough cough* :crazy:)

Are you this guy?

shortcircuit6.jpg

That must have been quite the mission. Welcome to the group!

I'm going to leave my two cents about this car and my previous experiences with it. I've put over 700 miles in to it in online PP races (425, 500 and 515).

It is the definition of a sleeper to me, it looks bland, rubbish and slow, however the car feels nice to drive, has good balance and that little engine can be tuned highly.

However it does have it's draw backs. While it is light weight, 4WD and well balanced, it's actual cornering speeds in proper competitive online racing/TTs against other good cars is nothing special, I personally expected more looking at it's stats. May be that's down to the skinny little tyres on this car.

Then it's other problem is that despite displaying a fantastic power to weight ratio in the tuning pages for it's given PP, it does not have the speed you would expect on the straights. Other cars with the same power but with substantially more weight will still out accelerate the Daihatsu and also have a greater top speed. I'm guessing it's down to the car's power band, which is fairly limited, and it's boxy shape are the culprits.

Over all though it is still relatively competitive, a lot more so than other cars in it's class, can hit much higher PP/HP ratings than other cars in it's class, and it's fun, forgiving and a surprise showing to the other on track opponents. Despite the above short comings I've obviously enjoyed it enough to take it out online a few dozen times.

*cough cough*

Sooo, itsa sleeper! 👍

Welcome to the madhouse @RuSTeD!!! :cheers:
5000 messages in a single week... You, my friend, have a lot of time on your hands! :lol:

So, how do you handle yourself against real opposition? If you're already amazing, then great! You'll be right at home here!

If you're alright, but not quite F1-fast, then great! You'll be right at home here!

If you have much to learn, then great! You'll be right at home here!

The point is, we cater to all skill levels. This club has seen pathetic plebs join the community, and at first they drop off the pace like flies... but over time, they learn and get faster, pick up a few tricks, get faster, make some mistakes, get faster... and eventually they're winning races, putting up a solid fight and generally having a great time! That's pretty much the story of my COTW experiences to date! :D

Stick with us, mate. You're in for some fun..

P.S. where can I find this Jump Track? Looks like something I'd enjoy!

Are you this guy?

shortcircuit6.jpg

That must have been quite the mission. Welcome to the group!

I'm going to leave my two cents about this car and my previous experiences with it. I've put over 700 miles in to it in online PP races (425, 500 and 515).

It is the definition of a sleeper to me, it looks bland, rubbish and slow, however the car feels nice to drive, has good balance and that little engine can be tuned highly.

However it does have it's draw backs. While it is light weight, 4WD and well balanced, it's actual cornering speeds in proper competitive online racing/TTs against other good cars is nothing special, I personally expected more looking at it's stats. May be that's down to the skinny little tyres on this car.

Then it's other problem is that despite displaying a fantastic power to weight ratio in the tuning pages for it's given PP, it does not have the speed you would expect on the straights. Other cars with the same power but with substantially more weight will still out accelerate the Daihatsu and also have a greater top speed. I'm guessing it's down to the car's power band, which is fairly limited, and it's boxy shape are the culprits.

Over all though it is still relatively competitive, a lot more so than other cars in it's class, can hit much higher PP/HP ratings than other cars in it's class, and it's fun, forgiving and a surprise showing to the other on track opponents. Despite the above short comings I've obviously enjoyed it enough to take it out online a few dozen times.

Wha... no! I'm not a robot i swear! I got a heart and a soul! Those bolts and screws are just... cosmetic!
Welcome to the madhouse @RuSTeD!!! :cheers:
5000 messages in a single week... You, my friend, have a lot of time on your hands! :lol:

So, how do you handle yourself against real opposition? If you're already amazing, then great! You'll be right at home here!

If you're alright, but not quite F1-fast, then great! You'll be right at home here!

If you have much to learn, then great! You'll be right at home here!

The point is, we cater to all skill levels. This club has seen pathetic plebs join the community, and at first they drop off the pace like flies... but over time, they learn and get faster, pick up a few tricks, get faster, make some mistakes, get faster... and eventually they're winning races, putting up a solid fight and generally having a great time! That's pretty much the story of my COTW experiences to date! :D

Stick with us, mate. You're in for some fun..

P.S. where can I find this Jump Track? Looks like something I'd enjoy!
Well, that happens if you're on vacation :sly:
I would call myself a decent driver, In TT's i always get into the top 1000 with "normal" cars, means no gixxer, 2j or else, only if the TT is Hard :( though it doesn't mean much when you race against other online Players in real time :embarrassed: But i'll be sure to race with you all with 90% fun and 10% competitiveness :sly: :lol: I have to say normally i'm a total teamplayer, specially in competitive games :D But we'll see about that in the future :D

I admit when I first saw we were getting a Daihatsu for this week, my reaction was, "Oh great, a slow crapcan car." However, as pretty much everyone's observed this car is a beast in very unassuming clothing. It handled asphalt, dirt, and snow all with ease in a very small and light platform. And while the styling isn't all that appealing, what with the front end looking like a teenager reacting in horror to his newly fitted teeth braces, the Sirion completely surpassed all expectations I had of it going in. Sleeper of the Year Nominee.

Last edited:
Just don't forget, @McClarenDesign is king here and can mercilessly mock anyone on here. (On COTW that is)

You should also mention that I typically leave the low-hanging fruit for everyone else. Otherwise they'd starve.

Thanks for the warm Welcome.

...Well, i'm very aware of him after reading dozens of his posts here (think so). I will see how i can compete against him

1. Warm welcomes are a violation of the GTPlanet AUP. Offenders have been reported and are currently under investigation.
2. Off with his (@RuSTeD) head.

Where the heck is Brad with this week's car?

En su bocha.

Congratulations Obelisk! You've been volunteered to select this week's car... what could possibly go wrong?

No worries, Captain. Give this little private time to think about his choice, and he'll have one by...

Remember the low-hanging fruit that I mentioned earlier?

How about the...

photo_elford_42_510x339.jpg

Mrs. Elford in the 2J.

It's the 1970 Chaparral 2J!!!

Okay, J. Edgar Hoover it is...

It's not a Hoover! It's a damned Maytag!

No, you're wrong. Maytags don't run around wearing skirts.

Sorry about the delay, I've been working on 7 things simultaneously, each with varying degrees of progress and frustration. As such, and also due to the odd nature of this week's choice, there will be no Time Trial event this week. Instead, the challenge will be more... creative...

Install this bathtub somewhere it belongs, aesthetically. Naturally, GT5-6 doesn't have a bathroom available in either Photomode, so you'll have to find the next best location that it'll blend in.

It's a "Photo Finish"!

You should also mention that I typically leave the low-hanging fruit for everyone else. Otherwise they'd starve.

1. Warm welcomes are a violation of the GTPlanet AUP. Offenders have been reported and are currently under investigation.
2. Off with his (@RuSTeD) head.

En su bocha.

Congratulations Obelisk! You've been volunteered to select this week's car... what could possibly go wrong?

Remember the low-hanging fruit that I mentioned earlier?

photo_elford_42_510x339.jpg

Mrs. Elford in the 2J.

It's the 1970 Chaparral 2J!!!

Okay, J. Edgar Hoover it is...

No, you're wrong. Maytags don't run around wearing skirts.

Sorry about the delay, I've been working on 7 things simultaneously, each with varying degrees of progress and frustration. As such, and also due to the odd nature of this week's choice, there will be no Time Trial event this week. Instead, the challenge will be more... creative...

Install this bathtub somewhere it belongs, aesthetically. Naturally, GT5-6 doesn't have a bathroom available in either Photomode, so you'll have to find the next best location that it'll blend in.

It's a "Photo Finish"!

Challenge accepted. I know just the place.

As for the flying MAYTAG, It's a sleeper if you have no clue what it is. But once you know, it's just...It isn't a beater, because it wins races, but it's Meh. Cool car, awesome ideas, amazing speed...except everyone and Brad's mother uses it.

Back