Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Sorry about not being able to set a time or compete with my quite boring choice of car, I've been busy with exams. I'll definitely be here for next weeks car! đź‘Ť

Need a Pace Maker?

KOiTaQ1.jpg

Being a fan of the R34 GT-R, I'd have to say it's a must have in anyone's stable. And there's a few to choose from, to say the least. Our last victim, the Pace car version has to be one of the chosen ones in my opinion. Function and form wrapped up in a classic Gran Turismo livery, with an eye catching add on. This one truly shines, especially in the dark. ;)

7dXnZrX.jpg

As mentioned before, this pace car can go anywhere, whereas the BMW version needs @McClarenDesign to allow tuning in our races as the lightbar is an option in the Aero kit portion of the Custom Parts area for the M4. But hey, the M4 is a nice choice too, as it's a premium and an FR drivetrain, making it different from our AWD classic.

J62JKWM.jpg

There are subtle differences separating the Pace car from the rest of the available R34's, even though the numbers are exactly the same. Arguably this has more uses than others in the dealership as well. It gave me some decent results in the last Playing with TT's too, so I'm giving it (a potentially biased) Sleeper status.

Cheers

Honda, Toyota, Nissan... guess you know what that means...

Congratulations Wayne Gretzky!

Since the previous winners have chosen a hat-trick of Japanese cars, it's time to take matters in my own hands. I also think it's time that we return to our roots. Back away from the sportscar, it's time that you grew up a little and started thinking about settling down! And what better way to do that than with...

16e549f8b44c1a17062c5152a0ad2d91.jpg

It's the 1962 Volkswagen Sambabus Typ 2 (T1)!!!

That's right, instead of some uber-exotic sports car (foreign or domestic), it's time we grabbed the dog, the wife and kids, and make our way from the track to the grocery store. You should probably do something about that greying hair of yours, too.

Congratulations also go out to @Vic Reign93 for being half a second faster than @Baron Blitz Red during last week's Time Trial event, with a final time of 2:25.023. This week's event is at Road America (courtesy of ketiux), but if I were you I'd pack a lunch, first. This van isn't exactly quick. Also, all participants will be drug tested before and after the event. I know about you hippies.

Last edited:
How interesting, that Samba has none other than a Portuguese license plate, what a nifty touch. In our esteemed country, the beloved Samba is known as the "PĂŁo de Forma", a spin off of the "Bread van" nickname from other countries. It's well known of course, due to the Beetle's popularity, so you can see quite a few being driven around.

Do I want to race it in GT6, however? Er... that is a more problematic question; the Samba's speed does not match the time it took for its hippie owners to get stoned back in the 60's, and it's hardly an example of handling prowess in race tracks as well. The Samba's only hope lies in single-make racing, something which fortunately is a COTW speciality...

So another executive decision pick for us?

Oh the joys of a VW Bus. ;)

I'll say I'm falling quite behind in getting my reviews done, but hopefully I can get started on them when I have some time to work with.

Of course there is one little problem that has cropped up, it goes by the name of 'Devils Elbow'.

What you may be asking is Devils Elbow? It's a GT6 Custom track and like a few of @PR1VATEJ0KER other creations is completely nuts.

image.jpeg

Nothing special at the start, but after a long high speed cuvre...

image.jpeg

You arrive at this. :eek::eek::eek:
A 700 metre climb to the top.

If you think that's insane, here's the start of the descent. :scared:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So this track is not recommended if you suffer from vertigo or if your car is not fast enough ( The pace car tuned to 600pp also made the climb rather easily.). :crazy:

Another thing you'll notice when you'll eventually download it is the track length, just under 9 miles, MORE than the limit. :confused:

But this is just one of many insane creations that Joker built, the ones I've got are as follows,

A 35km (near 22 mile) race track at Sierra. :bowdown:
A near 20 mile circle which takes you quite literally into the Sierra mountains.:P
An uber trippy near 21 mile track which had @Baron Blitz Red tripping and laughing. :D
A few tracks with crossover points including a TGTT recreation ( albeit they are more crossthrough than crossover.).
Finally two tracks in Death Valley that were made by Outspacer, both are the same track expect with one slight difference...

One has a track width that's 100m wide and the others 0.5m wide. :lol:

No you can't recreate them on a normal CM app, But you CAN grab the above mentioned ones from my GT6 profile page for yourselves to enjoy. :cheers:

I must admit I haven't laughed like that in a very long time @Vic Reign93, and that's even after reading @McClarenDesign last room title for the Pace car's Playing with TT's: "Dammit Baron".

As for the Samba Bus... the majority of Kei cars do standing mile tests in shorter times than it takes this thing to go from 2000rpm to 3000rpm in 4th gear.

0 to 60 times? I've seen shorter winters. Don't forget that I'm Canadian.

I just did the TT in this thing... I'm pretty sure I saw @OGGamer blow by me. He wasn't in a car, he was speed walking.

We just had a record setting election here in Canada. It was shorter than the laptimes this thing set.

Cheers

Last edited:

So, it's a Nissan GT-R with lights on it and a special paint scheme. The unique design looks good from a distance, but on closer examination it does result in more noticeable pixelation than other GT4 carryover cars.

The extra lighting equipment doesn't seem to adversely affect the car's handling dynamics or acceleration that the driver can notice. The lights themselves flash brightly, and while it wasn't distracting during the day time I found the lights made it harder to concentrate during night driving, especially driving in chase cam with a bunch of other pace cars around me. Overall, the pace car isn't any better or worse than a normal GT-R, so I'm going with a "Neither" verdict this week.

Theme Song for this weeks car:

Last edited:
I just spent 15 minutes in a 53 year old mini-bus going at stoner highway speed around ROTA. Why, you might ask?

For this week's COTW, of course!

The VW Samba Bus '62 is the car we've been given to drive this week, so I decided to jump the gun and nab one before the dealership became packed with people angrily demanding their own buses.

I didn't expect much out of it, and it sure didn't give me much. A meager 30 something horsepower and a top speed of (apparently) 65 MPH. It did corner surprisingly well for such a tall vehicle... That said, the real ones were incredibly overengineered like their Beetle cousins.

My verdict: BEATER

As in, beat this thing with a stick until it coughs up something decent.

At Mid-Field on Comfort Softs, the Samba is exactly 6 seconds slower than the Honda Life Step Van '72 but more than a full second quicker than the Mazda Carol 360 Deluxe '62 and 2 seconds faster than the best of the classic Fiat 500's.

It managed to hit 77 mph on the back straight, but only 60 mph on the front.

1.2L
33 hp / 3,000 rpm
61 ft-lb / 2,000 rpm
1,095 kg (2,414 lbs)

The VW Bus is a sleeper at 151 pp, able to beat competition with around double the performance points.

To get the bus to 151 pp: Add 200 kg of ballast, and all of the power adding parts in the car settings area, then exit the settings completly. After that go back to the same tab with the power adding parts and reduce the engine power to 50%. Lastly before closing that tab, take all of the power adding parts off, and don't open the tab again or it will reset engine power to 100%.

The VW Bus is a sleeper at 151 pp, able to beat competition with around double the performance points.

To get the bus to 151 pp: Add 200 kg of ballast, and all of the power adding parts in the car settings area, then exit the settings completly. After that go back to the same tab with the power adding parts and reduce the engine power to 50%. Lastly before closing that tab, take all of the power adding parts off, and don't open the tab again or it will reset engine power to 100%.

I really hate to be that guy, but...You're on GT arena, you have RS tires [The AI stays on their default tires] on and the AI appears to be on a low difficulty. Besides, why would you want to hurt the power?

I really hate to be that guy, but...You're on GT arena, you have RS tires [The AI stays on their default tires] on and the AI appears to be on a low difficulty. Besides, why would you want to hurt the power?
Lowering the power enough makes the usually easy race harder. I'm sure someone can probably win on professional difficulty in arcade, but when I tried at 151 pp, I was running about equal lap times with the leader and never gained any ground.

At Mid-Field on Comfort Softs, the Samba is exactly 6 seconds slower than the Honda Life Step Van '72 but more than a full second quicker than the Mazda Carol 360 Deluxe '62 and 2 seconds faster than the best of the classic Fiat 500's.

It managed to hit 77 mph on the back straight, but only 60 mph on the front.

1.2L
33 hp / 3,000 rpm
61 ft-lb / 2,000 rpm
1,095 kg (2,414 lbs)

My word, Maven's back! :crazy::dopey:

In all due seriousness, where have you been? I am always eager to read your insight on the cars we drive/test/crash for these events, but for the past few weeks you have been rather silent... Well, it is good to see you back doing what you like (and know best).

Also, no additional thoughts on the Samba? Did the sleepiness from driving it get to you while you were writing the lap times? :lol:

No more exams, I'm free! Time to prepare the Super Samba Bus for some series of tests that shall take place at the amazing custom track that I haven't seen yet. The Toyota TS020 gave my DFGT a beating so I don't think the wheel and me are prepared for whats about to come. I'll consider now as the calm before the storm.

My word, Maven's back! :crazy::dopey:

In all due seriousness, where have you been? I am always eager to read your insight on the cars we drive/test/crash for these events, but for the past few weeks you have been rather silent... Well, it is good to see you back doing what you like (and know best).

Also, no additional thoughts on the Samba? Did the sleepiness from driving it get to you while you were writing the lap times? :lol:

I've been watching the thread, but I've been super-busy at my new job and haven't turned on GT6 in about 2 weeks. As for the Samba, it handles exceptionally well, of course because its engine and the drive wheels are both well behind the rear seats. It lacks power, sure, but dammit, it's got charm!

I've been watching the thread, but I've been super-busy at my new job and haven't turned on GT6 in about 2 weeks. As for the Samba, it handles exceptionally well, of course because its engine and the drive wheels are both well behind the rear seats. It lacks power, sure, but dammit, it's got charm!

New job? What sort of job is it, if you don't me asking? Regardless of the answer to that, good luck for it and may you keep having good performances there. And I do agree with the Samba's charm, but I just can't get over that snail-like delivery it has... It's a great car for countryside trips, perfect to carry several people for a happy pic-nic as well as bring lots of food, yes. But Jesus does it need plenty of juice to go even remotely "quick"...

Some wind and a slope may be required to achieve "quickness". Porsche personality not included.

Back