Beater or Sleeper? FH3 Edition! Thanks for coming.

• Thread starter Obelisk
  • 573 comments
Hey, look at that. I'm late again.

I have an excuse this time though. I got my new Airsoft gear yesterday and spent the night shooting it.

Anyways, I'm happy to see this thread getting active again. @Vic Reign93 were you out on a picnic or something last week?

Okay, business time. Let's see who won this week.

Congrats, @Vic Reign93!
Vic Reign93: 1:14.308
Drex124: 1:15.099
Populuxe Cowboy: 1:16.276
JASON_ROCKS1998: 1:19.713

As for this week's winner...

Congrats, @JASON_ROCKS1998!

What are we driving this week?

maxresdefault.jpg

It's the 1994 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta!

This week's Time Trial will be at Maroondah Road Sprint in Byron Bay!

Will this 30 year old prancing horse uphold its reputation or will it be a relic? You decide!

Very stable. Very fast. I've always liked the F355. It's my favorite of Ferrari's mid-engined V8 line of cars. Sleeper.

Forza Horizon 3 7_31_2017 9_46_10 PM.png

An MR car... wet roads...:nervous:
Joking aside, I'm not a fan of this car at all. Half the time it handles like it weights twice as much as it does, there is no power on the low end, and the brakes go on holiday if you dare leave ABS on. The characteristic mid-engine suicidal tendencies are also present, though not as prominently as I expected. Thus the car will slide or at least threaten to around nearly all corners taken at speed. It will have to be a beater for now, maybe tuning can redeem it though I'm the wrong person to ask there.

Personal alternative recommendation: Get the 1995 Corvette ZR-1, for a quarter of the price you get the same level of performance at just one PI point more, whilst being more stable through the corners and eliminating the low end power problems.

825.jpg

(Name That Poké... err Game!)

View attachment 664256
An MR car... wet roads...:nervous:
Joking aside, I'm not a fan of this car at all. Half the time it handles like it weights twice as much as it does, there is no power on the low end, and the brakes go on holiday if you dare leave ABS on. The characteristic mid-engine suicidal tendencies are also present, though not as prominently as I expected. Thus the car will slide or at least threaten to around nearly all corners taken at speed. It will have to be a beater for now, maybe tuning can redeem it though I'm the wrong person to ask there.

Personal alternative recommendation: Get the 1995 Corvette ZR-1, for a quarter of the price you get the same level of performance at just one PI point more, whilst being more stable through the corners and eliminating the low end power problems.

View attachment 664268
(Name That Poké... err Game!)
Is that NFS Hot Pursuit?

We have a winner!
I spend way too many hours on that game as a kid, so I can never look at that car and not remember it :D
Speaking of winners.

Last week's Standings:

Congrats, @Drex124!
Drex124: 2:11.200
Populuxe Cowboy: 2:14.234
Paging @Vic Reign93, paging Vic Reign93.

As for this week's winner...

Congrats, @Populuxe Cowboy!

What are we doing this week?

Populuxe Cowboy
How about the...

cb1201b6-100a-4e50-93f7-d3f8d8f05a18.jpg

Credit to JorgePinto.
It's the 1969 Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe!

Hold the presses!

I've just received word that we have a new addition to Horizon 3. Something that appeals to the most regal of gearheads, tickles the fantasy in many and the final word in top-notch luxury.

It's none other than the...

7918dbd3-791f-4865-b262-ee389bb1f0a1.jpg

723 Quartz Regalia!

In true COTW fashion, we'll be taking this fantasy masterpiece to its breaking point to see if it's worth its price tag.

The Dino will be run at City Tour Sprint in Surfer's Paradise by request of the winner, and the Regalia will be showing off at Rolling Meadows Circuit in Yarra Valley!

Last edited:

I consider the Regalia a neutral rating. It can't punch as hard as you'd expect it to, but it's no slouch.

Was meant to post these yesterday, but hey no time like the present to do it. :D

IMG_0168.JPG

The Regaila is quite flexible in what classes it can run in as a wing and heavy wheels will put it down to B Class and it'll go to the top of S1 when tuned.

It has good levels of grip, but straight line speed is definitely its weak point so build it as a handling car with good power and it can surprise you on technical tracks.

Verdict: Neutral

IMG_0170.JPG

The Fiat Dino Coupe is more modest in style, but has a more rebellious engine in the form of a 2.5 V6 which'll rev to nearly 9,000 rpm in stock form. :eek:

Handling while not as glued to the road as the Regalia is still pretty decent for its age and does have good enough brakes to haul it back down to sane speeds.

In summary, a decent classic with great potential when you decide to add some extra performance to it.

Verdict: Sleeper :)👍

Forza Horizon 3 8_7_2017 9_59_25 AM.png

The Dino... the engine is nice enough, being it was designed mainly as an homologation scheme for ferarri at the time. I do love the styling as well, it just handles like a sponge imo. Neutral rating.

Forza Horizon 3 8_8_2017 12_14_22 PM.png

The USS/HMS/JDS/HNLMS (whatever country is it supposed to be from?) Regalia. It's a boat. It takes corners quicker than expected and is quick enough when motivated, but it's still a boat. Keep it for the weekend pleasure cruises. Sleeper.

Side note: More out of necessity, darn PS4 controller broke, but I finally got the wheel working! ish... anyone know how to get some feeling out of the DFGT with this game?

Last edited:
View attachment 665590
The Dino... the engine is nice enough, being it was designed mainly as an homologation scheme for ferarri at the time. I do love the styling as well, it just handles like a sponge imo. Neutral rating.

(Sorry for the picture, Forza wasn't having it today)
View attachment 665593
The USS/HMS/JDS/HNLMS (whatever country is it supposed to be from?) Regalia. It's a boat. It takes corners quicker than expected and is quick enough when motivated, but it's still a boat. Keep it for the weekend pleasure cruises. Sleeper.

Side note: More out of necessity, darn PS4 controller broke, but I finally got the wheel working! ish... anyone know how to get some feeling out of the DFGT with this game?
You should be able to adjust your FFB settings in the Options menu.

1969 Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe. I think it's a beautiful car, one of Bertone's more elegant and understated designs. Having a lovely Ferrari V6 under the hood makes it even more desirable. Performance-wise it doesn't hold a candle to any Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi Evo, but it's a very capable car for it's time. Sleeper.

723 Quartz Regalia. Like a linebacker in a Brooks Brothers suit, this car exudes strength and sophistication. The surprisingly capable handling reminds me of what I think a Maybach or Mercedes-Benz Pullman must handle like. It took me no time to get to grips with how it drove. Sleeper.

1969 Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe. I think it's a beautiful car, one of Bertone's more elegant and understated designs. Having a lovely Ferrari V6 under the hood makes it even more desirable. Performance-wise it doesn't hold a candle to any Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi Evo, but it's a very capable car for it's time. Sleeper.

723 Quartz Regalia. Like a linebacker in a Brooks Brothers suit, this car exudes strength and sophistication. The surprisingly capable handling reminds me of what I think a Maybach or Mercedes-Benz Pullman must handle like. It took me no time to get to grips with how it drove. Sleeper.

Ok I'm not one to accuse someone of shenanigans unless I have evidence to back it up as I went back and did this time.

IMG_0171.JPG

A 1:09.269 is quite close to the max of what's possible in this thing and your time was originally 2 seconds faster that my old time and I'm by no means a slouch. :crazy:

Now I trust you if you say the car was stock, but I noticed that there was a shortcut just before the second hairpin through the fence and trees that the No1 guy uses.

So my question to you is did you use the shortcut?

As I remember @Obelisk saying that straying too far from the track for a shortcut would invalidate the lap/attempt.

If I'm proven wrong and you did in fact, throw down a hail mary of a lap then I'll concede defeat to you. :D

As I remember @Obelisk saying that straying too far from the track for a shortcut would invalidate the lap/attempt.

If I'm proven wrong and you did in fact, throw down a hail mary of a lap then I'll concede defeat to you. :D
I will be verifying this lap time when I get home, before I throw up the next car. If he indeed used said shortcut, his lap time will simply not be counted towards the standings.

I promise no shortcuts were used. I improved my time through the last couple of right hand corners simply by not braking as hard and carrying more speed through the corners.

I promise no shortcuts were used. I improved my time through the last couple of right hand corners simply by not braking as hard and carrying more speed through the corners.

I trust you, like I said, if you did do a hail mary lap then I'll take my hat off to ya. :D:tup:

I trust you, like I said, if you did do a hail mary lap then I'll take my hat off to ya. :D:tup:
I went back and checked my lap. I have two Regalias, I thought I might have raced the modified one by mistake. But no, the car I raced was A749, stock except for color. I followed my own ghost just to make sure I didn't cut any corners and I didn't. I just had a good lap. I even beat my previous best lap which was an A800 Audi TTS. Here I am on the leaderboard if you want to see how I did it.

I went back and checked my lap. I have two Regalias, I thought I might have raced the modified one by mistake. But no, the car I raced was A749, stock except for color. I followed my own ghost just to make sure I didn't cut any corners and I didn't. I just had a good lap. I even beat my previous best lap which was an A800 Audi TTS. Here I am on the leaderboard if you want to see how I did it.
Er, I hate to say it, but Stock PI is 702 on the Quartz. :P

No worries about it. ;)

He tested what he assumed was a stock Regalia, but turns out it wasn't.

Mine was A702, his was A749, an honest mistake with having two of them. :P
It was the car I bought at auction. It didn't even occur to me to check to see if it was modified or not. Okay, so bringing it back to A702, my best lap was 1:10.237.

It would seem Populuxe has hit the age where he needs his eyes checked.

At any rate, let's look and see how people did!

Congrats, @Vic Reign93 and @Vic Reign93! Nani...?
Vic Reign93: 3:50.764
Drex124: 3:58.069
Populuxe Cowboy: 4:04.878
I wanted to make a 404 error joke on Populuxe's time, but I couldn't find the joke.

Vic Reign93: 1:09.269
Drex124: 1:09.425
Populuxe Cowboy: 1:10.237

It would seem that Tricky Vic has started cloning himself again.

Anyways, time to see what we've got this week.

Congrats, @Vic Reign93!

Will you be subjecting us to torture?

Vic Reign93
I'll keep it simple and sweet, we haven't driven an [REDACTED] and I seek to change that.

The one in question is...

6dd123d3-31ad-4762-ad92-c8cac1032391.jpg

Photo by Grev1uS!
It's the 1977 Aston Martin V8 Vantage!

This week's Time Trial, by request, will be at the Gold Mine To Highway Run, a Street Race!

Can this legend set the trend, or is it just a vantage point lost to time?

IMG_0172.JPG

Just managed to slide under the 3 minute mark. :D

As for the Aston, quite satisfying to drive, likes to rev and the 5 speed gearbox is pretty crisp.
I infact built it to the top of C class afterwards which doesn't sound like much room to play with, but it's now making 500hp and can hit 198mph through the outback. :drool:

Still retains a good level of handling without the need for Forza Aero and is just fun to drive casually and seriously, I even found an Eleanor paint scheme as a nod to the fact that the '77 V8 Vantage is often mistaken for a Ford Mustang. :lol:

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

Forza Horizon 3 8_13_2017 8_20_15 PM.png

Let's not mention how long that took....

Meanwhile on the Vantage: It's probably the best muscle car ever and doesn't even come from the US :D I went into this car not expecting anything good, and then it goes and blows me away. Plenty of power in stock, doesn't fall off the corners, and with a brushed steel coat it looks fabulous.
Definite Sleeper.

Oh to own one of these as a teenager.

Attachments

• Forza Horizon 3 8_13_2017 7_36_13 PM.png
    Forza Horizon 3 8_13_2017 7_36_13 PM.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 12
View attachment 666751
Let's not mention how long that took....

Meanwhile on the Vantage: It's probably the best muscle car ever and doesn't even come from the US :D I went into this car not expecting anything good, and then it goes and blows me away. Plenty of power in stock, doesn't fall off the corners, and with a brushed steel coat it looks fabulous.
Definite Sleeper.

Oh to own one of these as a teenager.

And when I managed to drag myself away from the new Hoonigains, I knocked out this time. :D

IMG_0173.JPG

Not that I wasn't expecting it.
But but... how??

Simple, I just found a slightly faster target to latch on to. :P

But in all seriousness, I was admittedly abit conservative in my braking previously because of the rear brakes slightly locking while slowing down, this time I was more aggressive in how I got the car around the turns.

Plus some fresh eyes and a rested mind helped as well. ;)

Back