Because of the AI ....

  • Thread starter Thread starter redhed17
  • 27 comments
  • 1,985 views
Messages
1,334
United Kingdom
The Pool Of Life.
Well slowly working my way through the game, but quicker than I should because of the AI. :confused: Case in point, I just did the 15 Minute Race at Apricot Hill in the International A section, I used a GT-R SpecV '09 with 576P and 562 BHP which is up against R8 LMS, M3 GT, McLaren's etc, basically touring cars with wings and aero parts all over them, my GT has the wing it came with and is tuned a bit, but considering cars could have up to 650PP it is not that tuned. I haven't done any of the Engine Tuning, Turbo or Nitrous options for example.

So I start off, pass quite a few in the first lap or two, get to 5th and then just rattle off the laps, as the front car is about 20 secs ahead at that point. So I start off at about 1:20 sec laps for the first five laps or so, but then start slowing down as the tyres start to go off, by the end I'm doing 1:23 sec laps. At about 10 minutes the 4th place car suddenly comes into view, passed easily, then followed by the 3rd and 2nd cars, again passed quite easily. At about 12-13 minutes the leading car appears, blowing a 14 second or so lead it had the previous lap. That is passed easily, but then puts up a fight on the last lap as the fifteen minutes is up. :eek:

Why buy Touring Cars if I can win with a slightly modified GT-R because of the AI? :mad: :rolleyes:

It shouldn't be this easy, surely? :boggled:

Should have a contest for the least powerful, most out of context car against the opposition certain races that can still be won with. :rolleyes:

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. :banghead:



PS When I bought the GT-R SpecV '09 it had four exhaust pipes, two either site is a slightly oval shape. I did some tuning, and now there are just two regular exhaust pipes, slightly to the left of where the number plate would go. Is that normal, to change the exhaust/styling when tuned?
 
Its true that the A.I still suck, but my second problem with them is that all the races have to be you starting near the back with a rolling start and spread out grid. All there is to it is just catching and then passing them and no actual racing.
 
i think the AI adapts to what you are driving. if you are driving a car near the max PP for the race they are much faster. however it isn't consistent so i'm not sure.
 
A.I is still not good. I have a feeling it's SLIGHTLY better than GT5's, but today I found myself with A.I cars sandbagging me out the corners or braking with full force in high speed corners. Just like in GT5.

But there is an improvement. Sometimes A.I cars behind you fight for position, but they give up after one try, or when you gain certain advantage. And it not always happens.
 
The main problem is not the AI itself, but the philosophy of the game.
It's all wrong, they force you to start from last place, so the AI cars must be easy, or we will never win a race.
It will suck forever if they don't include qualifying, standing starts and that stuff.
Once they fix it, they could make fast and good AI drivers.
For now, the carrer mode is just a pain is a$$ that we need to go through in order to make money and buy the cars we want to use online and on arcade mode.
 
^ What he said. Imagine if your internet sucks, like mine, and you can't race online. Mercifully, I am able to do the seasonals; so I can get decent money and some free cars. Online racing however is out of the question. So each GT for me is pretty much a career mode only and many many time trials.
 
PS When I bought the GT-R SpecV '09 it had four exhaust pipes, two either site is a slightly oval shape. I did some tuning, and now there are just two regular exhaust pipes, slightly to the left of where the number plate would go. Is that normal, to change the exhaust/styling when tuned?

That's normal bro! You've installed the racing exhaust, which is double pipes on the left-centre side. If you want the normal 4 pipes (2 either side) you can revert it, by selecting standard exhaust, under car settings :D
 
That's normal bro! You've installed the racing exhaust, which is double pipes on the left-centre side. If you want the normal 4 pipes (2 either side) you can revert it, by selecting standard exhaust, under car settings :D
Thanks Sid, I had never noticed it make the change before. 👍
 
what is the point of a competitive racing game with out the competitive or racing? Car collecting is fun, but so is working for it.
 
I've been banging a rather large drum lately by about how most of the problems with GT6 are down to the AI.

Every race has to have every opponent pre placed on the track. PD make some calculation of where they need to be to make a race competitive.

Now they seem to have included a very,very quick car in the front two or three that is overpowered. However this car only seems to run at a percentage of its ability until you pass it. Then from nowhere it gains an extra twenty or so percent and tries to make a comeback.

This is in my view why we have such a short career version in GT6

You can see this big time early on in the GT-R black Vs GT-R black mission race at (I think) Silverstone. Where you simply cannot loose him either by slowing down or driving flawless.
 
The main problem is not the AI itself, but the philosophy of the game.
It's all wrong, they force you to start from last place, so the AI cars must be easy, or we will never win a race.
It will suck forever if they don't include qualifying, standing starts and that stuff.
Once they fix it, they could make fast and good AI drivers.
For now, the carrer mode is just a pain is a$$ that we need to go through in order to make money and buy the cars we want to use online and on arcade mode.

Total BS, it's the opposite, the reason we start last way back is because the AI is that bad. GT4 had qualifying. If we started close to the front and a grid start we would be leading 15 seconds into the race and it would be even mopre brain numbing boring then it is now, which is saying something..


PD is great at physics, bad at almost everything else.
 
I've been banging a rather large drum lately by about how most of the problems with GT6 are down to the AI.

Every race has to have every opponent pre placed on the track. PD make some calculation of where they need to be to make a race competitive.

Now they seem to have included a very,very quick car in the front two or three that is overpowered. However this car only seems to run at a percentage of its ability until you pass it. Then from nowhere it gains an extra twenty or so percent and tries to make a comeback.

This is in my view why we have such a short career version in GT6

You can see this big time early on in the GT-R black Vs GT-R black mission race at (I think) Silverstone. Where you simply cannot loose him either by slowing down or driving flawless.

Agree, the career mode is the worst by a wide margin of any racing game on console, PD need to total overghaul of this franchise,
 
Programming multiple AI racing personalities to effectively each drive competitive races is pretty tough with all the possible variables. Think about everything going through your head during a race, now try to program that in a $60 game. So it's all about pacing and lines and there really is very limited actual intelligence behind the other cars.

What I find interesting is how back markers sometimes knock over cones so when you arrive at a corner, Mulsanne for instance, there are scattered cones. The game seems to play out an actual race completely virtually, who would ever do a replay and look at the back markers to see their problems.
 
Programming multiple AI racing personalities to effectively each drive competitive races is pretty tough with all the possible variables. Think about everything going through your head during a race, now try to program that in a $60 game. So it's all about pacing and lines and there really is very limited actual intelligence behind the other cars.

Other games seem to have a reasonable AI. :rolleyes: And in some games from years ago, on machines with a lot less processing power too.

What I find interesting is how back markers sometimes knock over cones so when you arrive at a corner, Mulsanne for instance, there are scattered cones. The game seems to play out an actual race completely virtually, who would ever do a replay and look at the back markers to see their problems.

It is good sometimes to watch a replay when you see one of the computer cars do something you wouldn't expect. :lol:
 
My problem with races/ai is like Starcarper say's is that there's always 1 or 2 cars that get out to a 20-30 second gap on the 1st lap while i am working my way thru the field then slow down to let me catch up. If there was qualifying i could understand the fastest cars being at the front but maybe for the sake of better races the faster cars should start at the back with us and race on there merits, no slowing down/rubberband or whatever its called.
 
My problem with races/ai is like Starcarper say's is that there's always 1 or 2 cars that get out to a 20-30 second gap on the 1st lap while i am working my way thru the field then slow down to let me catch up. If there was qualifying i could understand the fastest cars being at the front but maybe for the sake of better races the faster cars should start at the back with us and race on there merits, no slowing down/rubberband or whatever its called.

That would be more fun actually.. if another faster Ai car starts from the rear of the pack, so both you and AI car make your way up together, and then fight to the death finish line at the end.
 
but maybe for the sake of better races the faster cars should start at the back with us and race on there merits, no slowing down/rubberband or whatever its called.

This actually happens in like the wind, I thought I would win with an LM car, I was first but at 2/3 of the race 2 veyron and 1 Fxx just arrived at 420 km/h from the last positions and I finished 4th; great experience! (sorry guys, I like this new AI, perhaps not good for the best racers, but nice and challenging for my level, and definitely different from GT5)
 
Total BS, it's the opposite, the reason we start last way back is because the AI is that bad. GT4 had qualifying. If we started close to the front and a grid start we would be leading 15 seconds into the race and it would be even mopre brain numbing boring then it is now, which is saying something..


PD is great at physics, bad at almost everything else.
So the problem for you is not rolling starts and bad AI, it's bad AI and rolling starts... Got it.
Also the sky is blue and the clouds are white in a sunny day 👍
 
Last edited:
A few of the lower level races are hard, but most of the Championship series is exactly as you experienced. You get to the last lap or two and you have a fight on your hands. Problem is the same car is always the one you battle. It will garner most of the points, so if you make a mistake in any of the five races and lose you may not win the championship. I don't agree with the way its set up but...it's better than GT5 at least.
 
Yesterday I did the GT300 championship and loved the AI and the weird rubber banding and everyone suddenly slowing down. It is all far from realistic, but I had a lot of fun. So far I had more fun with this flawed and unrealistic system than with any AI on previous GTs.

Sure in GT4 you could pick exactly the right car and if you then had exactly the right lineup you would have a great race. That is too much trouble for me though.

In the first laps I had to use every opportunity I got to pass cars in front of me: late braking, slipstreaming etc.
Usually I'd make it up to around place 4/5 where I would stick untill the last 2 laps with very little chance of finishing any higher (the lead car being many seconds ahead of me). In the last two laps the AI would suddenly dramatically slow down as we all know and I would win... If I didn't make any mistakes.

Oh and I usually try to race as cleanly as possible which also helps with the fun.

I've been trying to work out the right pp for more challenging racing.

Here's a thread I opened with the aim of sharing the PP to use for challenging races:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/more-challenging-fun-career-races-what-pp-do-you-use.294630/

I personally found that different tires than the competition makes for more fun. It usually means the AI is faster on the straights than you and you limit your own speed through corners a bit, which makes it less easy to pass the AI.
 
Its true that the A.I still suck, but my second problem with them is that all the races have to be you starting near the back with a rolling start and spread out grid. All there is to it is just catching and then passing them and no actual racing.

AND! ....

... They always spin you out everytime you are in corner, trying to get into your line... :mad:

Tried ramming them ... No effect.:banghead:
 
Why can't we get standing starts and adjustable A1. They could be adjustable from 60% to 110%, depending on each person's ability it would be easy to create good racing for all. There were games from 7/8 years ago that had this ability.
 
Why can't we get standing starts and adjustable A1. They could be adjustable from 60% to 110%, depending on each person's ability it would be easy to create good racing for all. There were games from 7/8 years ago that had this ability.
Good question, race sims have had adjustable AI for 10 -15 years at least so it's not like it's a big secret in the programming world. That feature alone would bump GT6 up to a 9+ out of 10 in my book!
 
Back