More challenging, fun career races - What PP do you use?

Scotland
France
SillyBillyP
I'm up to the International B races and have been finding the diificulty level too easy so I underpower my cars to make for more fun and challenging races.

What PP level have you used in races where you have had a really good race, battling it out with the AI?

It'd be great to share info on this.

I'll post some of my own below.

I've had good races with these cars, PPs, tyres

National B

• Japanese 90s: used Silvia Q's at 400pp with SH tyres
  • Classic Sportscar: Alpine A110 400 CS tyres

National A
  • Classic Muscle: Chevelle 490pp, SH tyres
  • Schwarzwald: BMW Chromeline 488pp, SH tyres
  • Gornergrat: Ford Focus rally car 480pp, SH tyres
  • MR Challenge: NSX 430pp, CS tyres; Lotus Elise 445pp, SH tyres
  • 500pp Clubman: KTM X-Bow 455pp, CS; BMW Chromeline 475pp, SH tyres

One-Make
  • BMW 451pp, CS tyres

International B
  • Supercar: Viper 545pp, SH tyres; LFA Nurb package 545pp, SH tyres
  • Tour of Japan: GT-R V-Spec '09 495pp, SH tyres
  • Tour of America: Mustang Boss 480pp, SH tyres

I use no aids at all. And I just started using a wheel a week ago, with which I'm still a bit of a novice - so the PP I'm using can probably go down a bit yet.

Last edited:
I just about try to start a 100 pp under the limet in a somewhere stock car - usually not much "intune" there. I just hope they will fix the recommended pp for those races, they are ridiculous.

I just about try to start a 100 pp under the limet in a somewhere stock car - usually not much "intune" there. I just hope they will fix the recommended pp for those races, they are ridiculous.
Yeah, I start at about 100 below the max too, but then it takes some adjusting to get it right.

"I just hope they will fix the recommended pp" Opening this thread is my way of trying to fix the pp

Last edited:
Agreed. I'm only on the < 550 Pi races National A, but I'm winning with 100-150 Pi lower than the limit. It appears that the stock versions of the Ai fastest cars, are only around 440 Pi in a 550 race anyhow ! (Clearly so that beginners can win some races).

This is on 2-3 lap races though, and as a lot of people have noticed, I basically catch up the lead car about halfway around the final lap when it slows down and waits for me !

Last edited:
I don't tune my cars, other than the sports soft suspension (in some cases), the ECU or some other minor tweek to give it a more personal feel. So I am having a full blast! A.I is still crappy, but I'm not winning by much. They are actually making me sweat for the first couple of laps.

I'm not so sure. I've been in races where I've first tried it in a 150pp-less-than-the-max-allowed car and been unable to win, then I've added, like, 40/50 pp and then been able to win.
Yea I've had a couple of those races where I lost b/c I didn't have a fast enough car (Classic American Muscle Championship), but the vast majority of the races in Career, if your within 100 - 150 pp of the limit, you can win easily. Even if you spin out, the AI still slows down to help you win.

That said I'm only on international B atm, so maybe they get harder in super/iA.

No, same c... In IA

If you take a slower car you notice them to slow down a lot in the 2nd half of the race and let you catch up/win.

If you take a equal car you catch the leader quite early and he does not slow down, but he is just not fast enough to make it a real challenge. (at least if you know the track and drive not to bad)

Still i had the best races with cars only ~50pp down and tires one notch harder.

I had some close races in the IB Allstars with my stock MP4-12C on soft sports.
The Huayra and FXX are a real challenge (if you catch them before half of the race, otherwise they slow down)

In IA used the McLaren Stealth for Dreamcar Championship and for the 15min. Races.

In the Ascari 10-lap challenge (Super category), I used a stock Ferrari 288 GTO and was able to win. The car has 520pp with the race having a 650 pp limit

In the Ascari 10-lap challenge (Super category), I used a stock Ferrari 288 GTO and was able to win. The car has 520pp with the race having a 650 pp limit
I tried the Ferrari 288 GTO for the IA GT300 Championship, 'twas fun.

Last edited:
Yeah, I start at about 100 below the max too, but then it takes some adjusting to get it right.

"I just hope they will fix the recommended pp" Opening this thread is my way of trying to fix the pp

This is my strategy with the running tyres at CS/SH in SS races. However even on SH it can be very frustrating when you get spun out on the last lap because your opponent hits you mid corner. It really makes using less than CS's very tough as the smallest hit by the "immovable" leaders cars is a bit of a lottery.

However I have to say that I do love this game but with a little more thought ie even adding a difficulty setting would make a massive improvement.

I generally stay 50-100 PP below the AI in most races, Some tracks I was running for the first time I used a little more car since I knew I would be slower there.

The last few days I have been running Muscle cars up to 500 PP in the 550PP touring car race in IA on Bathhurst. Generally takes some tweaking and pretty good driving to beat those touring cars with these.

This is my strategy with the running tyres at CS/SH in SS races. However even on SH it can be very frustrating when you get spun out on the last lap because your opponent hits you mid corner. It really makes using less than CS's very tough as the smallest hit by the "immovable" leaders cars is a bit of a lottery.

However I have to say that I do love this game but with a little more thought ie even adding a difficulty setting would make a massive improvement.
It is bizarre why PD didn' t add a difficulty slider, or four or five difficulty levels. The game is screaming out for it. Adjusting difficulty is the norm in most video games - one of the first things you do before playing.

Being spun out in the last lap is frustrating and a bit of a problem, although I do find it a way of adding a bit of tension to the races and character/life (sort of) to the AI. So I see it as my resposibility to get the hell out of the AI's way or risk the consequences.

Like most of you, I handicap myself about 20-25%, so on a 600PP race, I run more than 100 lower, depending on the opponents. I've managed to win a 600PP race with the lowest PP car in my list, around 437. Every race is different. On some, the bots lay back, on others, they race like they want to win.

A difficulty setting makes sense, but at the same time, there are such a wide variety of cars and tuning options available, it serves as its own difficulty level. I know the purists hate me saying this, but it's the same difference.

I will say that if you want a challenge, do some Arcade races. As with GT5, the bots are much more competitive on Pro.

There's no point. At least until some point. B,A, and IB licenses were fun but never felt challenging because the AI will let you win no matter what car you have or they have. When you get to IA it becomes absolutely stupid and ridiculous because you start last, you got few laps, and the leaders ahead are freakin' Group C racers that can even be above the PP limit.

My suggestion is to get a fast car, say Sauber C9 or Bentley Speed 8, and to power through the stupid P.O.S that is the career mode. PoDi made a heck of a job with the new physics and again with the graphics but they ruined everything with the stupid rubberbanding the AI is subject to and the daft way races are organized.

No, same c... In IA

If you take a slower car you notice them to slow down a lot in the 2nd half of the race and let you catch up/win.

If you take a equal car you catch the leader quite early and he does not slow down, but he is just not fast enough to make it a real challenge. (at least if you know the track and drive not to bad)

Still i had the best races with cars only ~50pp down and tires one notch harder.

I had some close races in the IB Allstars with my stock MP4-12C on soft sports.
The Huayra and FXX are a real challenge (if you catch them before half of the race, otherwise they slow down)

In IA used the McLaren Stealth for Dreamcar Championship and for the 15min. Races.

I've found this to be true also. I used to take a very low PP car to try and make it a close race but found that the AI would run good lap times, sometimes pulling away from me in the early part of the race, but then slow down by 10 or more seconds a lap in the last 2 laps to let me catch them. Once I pass the leader they resume there normal lap times.

So I started taking cars closer to the max PP and found that I can generally catch them before they start to slow down so they never do. It still means I win and I generally win easier but at least the AI isn't doing something stupid.

What is even more bizarre about the AI slow down is that every car in the field will slow down if you are too far behind the leader in the last few laps. Even the cars you've already passed.

I know this AI behavior is not new to GT6 as GT5 was the same way. But this is ridiculous. For the love of God at least give us the option to turn off the adaptive AI so that we can go about selecting a PP level that will make the race interesting. As it is now, it almost doesn't matter what you take as you can win with a wide PP range.

There's no point. At least until some point. B,A, and IB licenses were fun but never felt challenging because the AI will let you win no matter what car you have or they have. When you get to IA it becomes absolutely stupid and ridiculous because you start last, you got few laps, and the leaders ahead are freakin' Group C racers that can even be above the PP limit.
That is simply not true. You need to pay more attention to what is on your screen.

Example: Clubman 500 most cars will be some where around 500PP if you are an average driver then you would want to use some where around a 500pp car hence the name 500. If you look at the cars that show up some will/may be a bit over 500 but the limit of the race is actually 600. This allows poor drivers to have a chance as well.
Those of us who want an interesting race will use something less than 500.

There are a few races where you will run into 1 or 2 group C or lmp cars along with possibly some super cars and/or GT cars. Those races allow you to run any of those cars yourself as well.

As for the AI letting you win no matter what you drive that also is simply not true. There are lots of cars that you will not be able to win no matter how well you drive them. The AI will go slower if you are driving a slower car but they will not go slow enough for you to win. You will appear to be close, then you add some power and try again, faster this time but no closer until you finally get enough power to actually beat them then you will win and they will not go any faster than that so if you use and even faster car you will just beat them worse.

This of course assumes that you drive well. The AI will hold up in cases where you have spun out or crashed and if you are using a fast car you can still over take and win. If on the other hand you are using a car that will make a race of it then you are likely to loose if you spin out or crash.

For many of us it is much more fun running in a race they we know we will have to be perfect to win than to drive an overpowered car and use it like a plow to blast through the AI for an easy and meaningless win.

I won all the events I could in a stock Honda Fit in National B events, which were

-Freshman Cup
-400 PP Clubman Cup
-City Trials
-5 Minute Races
-FF Challenge
-GT Compact Car Championship

all these events used 350pp which is the stock value of the Fit. Races become easy when you can catch up more than 17 seconds in two laps :rolleyes:

That is simply not true. You need to pay more attention to what is on your screen.

Example: Clubman 500 most cars will be some where around 500PP if you are an average driver then you would want to use some where around a 500pp car hence the name 500. If you look at the cars that show up some will/may be a bit over 500 but the limit of the race is actually 600. This allows poor drivers to have a chance as well.
Those of us who want an interesting race will use something less than 500.

There are a few races where you will run into 1 or 2 group C or lmp cars along with possibly some super cars and/or GT cars. Those races allow you to run any of those cars yourself as well.

As for the AI letting you win no matter what you drive that also is simply not true. There are lots of cars that you will not be able to win no matter how well you drive them. The AI will go slower if you are driving a slower car but they will not go slow enough for you to win. You will appear to be close, then you add some power and try again, faster this time but no closer until you finally get enough power to actually beat them then you will win and they will not go any faster than that so if you use and even faster car you will just beat them worse.

This of course assumes that you drive well. The AI will hold up in cases where you have spun out or crashed and if you are using a fast car you can still over take and win. If on the other hand you are using a car that will make a race of it then you are likely to loose if you spin out or crash.

For many of us it is much more fun running in a race they we know we will have to be perfect to win than to drive an overpowered car and use it like a plow to blast through the AI for an easy and meaningless win.

But with this Stupid AI slowdown this won't really work.

Because if you go out of a race to take a slower car and go back you get different opponents and it is a different race.

If the AI would stay at their normal speed and you could see what cars you are up against you could adjust difficult with your car.

But you never know which opponents you get and how much they will slow down.
The result is you have to do a race 10 times until you get it right once, and this is just awful.

Best examples are the races where that stupid FFX shows up, if you are against him you need something fast, if he's not in something 5sec slower will do.

Or the 600pp touring car champ., if the AI McLaren F1 GTR is in it is not easy to win with a stock R8 LMS, if the F1 is not in it is a walk in the park.

The AI slowdown is really bad, the opponent selection makes it much worse and the short (chase the rabbit) races are the final nail in the coffin.

The basic idea of "adaptive" AI is not so bad, but they got the balance totally wrong.
The AI are to slow anyway and the additional slowdown is just way to much.

It should be balanced in a way that a decent driver can win if he uses the same car (stock) on same tires as the fastest AI car (whithout it slowing down last half of the race).

As it is now it is horrible for decent drivers because you know that in reality you could never win with the sh..box you have to use to get a challenge.

Pugeot 106 Rallye @ 481PP Sports Soft, non tuneable parts

Super
Ascari Race Resort 10 Lap Challenge

First few laps the 106 was doing battle with the Supercar(Ferraris/Lambos etc). Caught upto the Veyron just as he pitted for tyres/fuel. Pitted the 106 for a tyre change, was driving the little car hard on those tyres and it paid off with a win.
Another one was at 400PP on Sports Hard again in the 106 at the Gornergrat Race 1, pushing hard against the proper rally cars including the Audi to take a win on that race.

Last edited:
But with this Stupid AI slowdown this won't really work.

Because if you go out of a race to take a slower car and go back you get different opponents and it is a different race.

If the AI would stay at their normal speed and you could see what cars you are up against you could adjust difficult with your car.
Actually I have had not problems at all doing this. I just look at they type of cars I am up against and the PP of the race and pick something lower. sometimes I win, sometimes I loose. Most of the time I am able to pick a car that makes it interesting, very much so in some cases.

Now that I have did all the races I will go into a race with a car that is very low and then build it up while in the race so every time I am racing against the same AI cars. I'll add a little performance and/or tweak some settings after each race and run it again until I have the car dialed in at the minimum PP needed to win in increments of 25

At least 50 less PP than the limit. If you use the maximum PP, it is always TOO easy.
Sounds about right.

Big problem for me is that races are so unpredictable.

Just wanted to do 24min. LeMans.
First lap i lost 10sec to the leader (25sec. Behind) but then all but 2 did a pitstop after 1st lap for no reason and i was 3rd only 8sec. Behind.
End of 3rd lap i went in the pits only 2 sec. Behind the leader, had a close fight with him for 2 laps after the stop.
Then my tires where done, under 50% and undriveable, the same type tires had 70% left after the first 3 laps. WTF ?

And such cr*p happens all the time, you have to do a race 10times or more to get a challenge once.

It is raining at Lemans, tires wear longer on wet road than they do on dry road, Ai sometimes start with the wrong tires and pit to change to wet or dry during the race.

That said yes the second set of tires does normally wear faster than the first unless it starts raining later in the race then the second set could potentially last longer than the first.

As for the 10 times thing, nope, I usually get a decent race the first time out if I try

Sounds about right.

Big problem for me is that races are so unpredictable.

Just wanted to do 24min. LeMans.
First lap i lost 10sec to the leader (25sec. Behind) but then all but 2 did a pitstop after 1st lap for no reason and i was 3rd only 8sec. Behind.
End of 3rd lap i went in the pits only 2 sec. Behind the leader, had a close fight with him for 2 laps after the stop.
Then my tires where done, under 50% and undriveable, the same type tires had 70% left after the first 3 laps. WTF ?

And such cr*p happens all the time, you have to do a race 10times or more to get a challenge once.
That's probably because the rivals change everytime you exit/enter again the race. But I would say you need no more than 2 times. One for realising the pace and 2 for getting the ideal car

It is raining at Lemans, tires wear longer on wet road than they do on dry road, Ai sometimes start with the wrong tires and pit to change to wet or dry during the race.

That said yes the second set of tires does normally wear faster than the first unless it starts raining later in the race then the second set could potentially last longer than the first.

As for the 10 times thing, nope, I usually get a decent race the first time out if I try
From the first 3 laps one was dry and from the 2nd two laps one was dry, so that should make no difference.
And i also had the increased tire wear after stop in other races, just another bug.

And for the AI stops, that is exactly what i mean with "no reason", why they not take the right tires from the start, why they not stay on the "wrong" ones, it does barely make a difference anyway.

But I would say you need no more than 2 times. One for realising the pace and 2 for getting the ideal car
Record was 10 times in the 20mile willows race, every time same car, same tires.

10 races the opponents got the strategy wrong and i had an easy win, only with one set of opponents the Enzo seems to get it right, does only one stop and is a challenge.

Back