Beginner tips?

• Thread starter MiyaviSan
  • 6 comments
MyvTeddy
Hi, Im pretty much new to the whole Gran Turismo game thing. I seen people play it before and pretty much got the GTHD concepts.

Could anyone tell me any tips on being a good GT player?...when to slow down, should I use the stick or the X button to accelerate, that kind of stuff. Its different to ridge racers appearently :\

Well, to fully enjoy the game, a wheel should be used... but as for using the SIXXAXIS, I use stick for steering and X/square for accelerating/braking. As for a racing line, you just have to drive a few laps and find marks where you should brake down and gears through the corners. if you are interested in drifting, start out with a 4-wheel-drive car (the Mitsubishi Evo's, celica) as they are more easily controllable.

When drifting, i usually lie in 2nd or 3rd gear through the first hairpins, 3rd-4th in the long sweeper after the bridge, 4th-5th through the long right-left corners, and 2nd-3rd in the sharp corner after that... but that is how i feel is best, but is not neccesarily the best way... racing (or Time Trials) is not something i drive on GT HD (i am a drifting fanatic :P) but look at replays on the leaderboards to get a clue on lines and approatches

The best advice I would give to a new GT player is for the first few laps with each car drive it like you own it.

If you want to get good I would suggest using no assists and simulation physics no matter how hard it is, once you can drive a few clean laps without crashing slowly start to brake later until your laps time start to tumble :)

This is how I learnt and I hadnt played any GT since I finished GT4, soon I was posting some pretty nice laptimes and most importantly keeping the times consistant over many laps, again treat the car as though its real thern slowly build it up.

How to be a good GT player? Well get all the previous GT games and gold all the license tests. :D
But to be honest, GT HD, the Eiger track, requires certain amount of drifting if you want really good lap times (with Ferrari). And for me that is quite a challenge, because I could say I´m one of those old school drivers.. Slow in - fast out style, you know. And that style does not work for me on that track. Still so much to learn, and that is the essence of GT series, I´d say. Play hard, work easy and patience for your GT learning.

turn the driving aids off and practise practise practise.
Pick up GT4 if you can and go through the licences tests to learn other valuble skills.

Simply put, back up the corners. In nascar racing its a phrase said when you attemping to over drive the corners..

Which when you do that it kills the center of the corner and the drive off. Therefore losing time. Back the corner up essentially means to ease the car in to the corner. Fast is not always faster. Thats the main thing about driving around the corners. They are the most imporatant part of the track because of the drive off the exit of the corner. The better you get off the turn the faster you are down the straight aways, which when you are going 120+ makes a lot of difference when you get to that speed faster.

Remember what I said about easing into the corners. Now when you come into a turn the most important thing you have is your brakes. If you attempt to overdrive the corner your brakes will not save you, you will lock the tires up and slide thru the corner. Run the track a few times and trying different lines into the corners and different breaking points. Hit your marks and your corner speeds and drive off will impove. Just like in a real car if you mash the brakes really hard they don't always slow you down faster.. When going into to the corner find the breaking point for about 85-95% brake pressure. By doing this you will have greater speeds going to the corner. I know that sounds weird, but its true. When you are hitting the breaks at 100% the tires like the

I play all sorts of driving games. From Nascar 08 to Neeed for speed: Pro street. In my years of video game racing experience I have learned a lot of things. I do not claim to know it all. Now I am not a professional driver, and I don't own a fast car, but I belive in my abilities and knowledge that has developed.

I think the main thing you need to learn is NOT TO OVER DRIVE THE CAR!!

Anyone that has experience with racing games will tell you this. Fast is not always fastest. What I mean by that is when coming into the corners don't drive the car in so fast that you mess up your line. Ease the car into the corner and you will see results in your laps times! Find the right line for the striaght-away speed you carry and apply the least amount of brake possible to slow the car down. If you sail the car in the corner you will most likely brake too much and kill your center speeds.

There are three methods I know of when going thru a corner.

Stay on the imaginary white line at the edge of the pavement going around the turn..Hug the corner.

You can diamond the corner. Which is self explainatory, you drive the corner in a diamond. The hope is to get better drive off speeds. It just depends on the corner you are in.

You can drift the corner.

They all have there benefits, but you have the figure out which one works the best on each corner.

Lastly like the others say take the slip control and ABS off and you will take a lot of time off your laps. It may be hard that first, but trust me when you can control the car with those off, you will drive faster.

When I first started to play the DEMO those settings on and I couldn't go any faster than 1.20 average per car. When I turned them off my laps went from 1,20 to 1,15 easily. I have 4 cars where I got 1,10 as my fastest laps now.

Good luck and ease the car in the corners.

Back