Beginners guide anywhere?

• Thread starter MrMister
  • 31 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Don't get much time on PS4 nowadays but loved GT back in the day so bought this, but haven't played much.

It's been so long since playing a GT and the options/settings/races etc on GTS are bewildering to me!

I've looked at the online manual for GTS but it's a bit basic. Is there anywhere with a decent guide, used to get Prima guides, son has some but can't find one for GTS.

The quick go's over had, I only use DS4, over tried with thumb sticks, and also the tilt function. Which is best?

Any tips to help please or where I can go to get a guide/instruction booklet etc please.

Thanks

What guidance do you need specifically?
Think it's all the options, different races etc not sure what to play, when etc.

I've done a few of the old style licences or whatever they've renamed to now.

Using a DS4 I seem to get around corners better with tilt, or should I learn thumbsticks?

Was hoping a decent guide was printed or download? Is GTplanet going to do a book?

Thanks

Well, within Campaign you have:
-GT League which is equivalent to GT Mode... so an offline set of races against AI. Different criteria for each race.
-Driving School is a set of short tests, introducing you to the car handling and control
-Circuit Experience contains all of the (original) circuits included in the game, broken down into sectors with awards for time achieved. These are good for learning the tracks
-Mission Challenges are a variety of tasks, again with awards for their achievement. Some are overtaking challenges, some are top speed challenges, some are endurance challenges

Then there is Sport Mode. Sport Mode consists of:
-Daily Races. These are 3 races which update daily. Race A is usually a 'One Make' race with a car provided. Usually these are slower cars and shorter races (often 3 laps). Race B is then a medium length race (4 or 5 laps) usually in a Gr. 4 or Gr. 3 car of your choice and from your garage, although this is sometimes also a One Make race (and twice this week has been Gr. 1). Race C is a long race, between 8 and 12 laps (depending on the length of the circuit) in a Gr. 1, Gr. 3 or Gr. 4 car of your choice, from your garage. You are able to set qualifying times for each of these races before entering, the qualifying time sorts the grid when you enter the race.

-FIA Races. There are two types; Manufacturer series and Nations Series. The Manufacturer series is run over a period of days with a different race each day, your choice of car is fixed before your first entry by signing a sponsorship with a particular manufacturer - you will then use this manufacturer's Gr. 3 or Gr. 4 car for the entirety of the series. Points are awarded per competition and the winner is the person with the most points at the end of the series. Entries are hourly and include closed qualifying (so a full circuit including those entered into the same race as you) and a long race. The Nations cup is similar but (I believe) there are some events which are 'One Make' (vehicle provided) and others you have a choice of Gr. 3 or Gr. 4 cars from your garage.

Edit:

Arcade is arcade, pick a track, pick a car and race the AI
Lobbies are race rooms with user-defined restrictions. These do not count towards your GT ratings.

FIA Races: you can only enter once per day. Entry periods 1 hour apart and there are 4 (?) per day.

On the Daily Races:
Race A is a grid of 12
Race B is a grid of 16
Race C is a grid of 20

Your qualifying time stays for the remainder of the day, so you can enter race after race without re-qualifying. The races cycle every 15, 20 and 30 minutes (IIRC). You can often enter Race B, complete the race and be back in the home page in time to enter it again.

In all Daily Races and FIA events, your DR (Driver Rating) and SR (Sportsmanship Rating) are taken into account and can increase or decrease depending on performance. Your current DR and SR are top right on the homepage - DR is a letter (from E up to S) in a circle and SR (again, from E to S) is a letter above two hands shaking. Very simply: Winning increases DR, losing decreases it. Not crashing increases SR whereas crashing or cutting corners, decreases it

Edit edit: personally I use sticks to steer and triggers to accelerate and brake, but that's a personal preference...

Last edited:
Appreciate reply thanks for that.

So on the campaign, GT league allows you to enter with any car you have in your garage, did one and had to reduce the power on my car to allowed limit but I easily won, not by being a good driver, just as a better car. Is this just to get extra miles and points etc?

Interested in the FIA bit as read about GTS being first affiliated or something. You say you can enter 1 a day only, these are specific times? So I can only enter when they say? Same as GT Sport bit?

Think I better learn to use sticks, although when I have I seem to be even more rubbish than tilt, if that's possible!

Appreciate reply thanks for that.

So on the campaign, GT league allows you to enter with any car you have in your garage, did one and had to reduce the power on my car to allowed limit but I easily won, not by being a good driver, just as a better car. Is this just to get extra miles and points etc?

In GT League each race has entry criteria...you have to own a car which is within those criteria (i.e a car from your garage as opposed to one supplied to you, as in the Daily Race A) so in the FF Cup (or whatever the title is) you can only use Front-engined Front-wheel-drive cars. The Clio Trophy, you can just use the Clio, then there are power-restricted races... so the Premium Lounge is limited to N1000 (the highest "road car" category - so everything except Gr. 1, Gr. 3, Gr. 4 or Gr. X). The lower the N number of the car you use to compete, the more credits, XP and mileage points you will win - for example, do an N1000 race in an N500 car and you will receive a 109% bonus on the winnings.

Interested in the FIA bit as read about GTS being first affiliated or something. You say you can enter 1 a day only, these are specific times? So I can only enter when they say? Same as GT Sport bit?

Think I better learn to use sticks, although when I have I seem to be even more rubbish than tilt, if that's possible!

Yes. So you could enter at 19:00 then you would have to do the qualifying and the race at that point (it will take about 30-45 mins depending on the length of the race that day). The Nations races are run at on the hour from 17.00 or 18.00 until 21.00 or 22.00 (can't remember) and the Manufacturer ones at 10 past the hour. But you can only enter each round once (and whatever points you gain are your points for that round) as it emulates a championship season. Whereas, the Daily Races run every 15-30 mins and you can enter as many as you like.

If the tilt works - use the tilt! I've personally never tried it so can't really comment.

I'd start with some daily's. You can do as many as you like and it will let the ranking system place you were you belong.

I'd start with some daily's. You can do as many as you like and it will let the ranking system place you were you belong.

Specifically the daily race A, the less powered cars and simpler tracks are a good place to learn.
Daily race B usually features longer tracks that are more complex and higher powered cars.
Daily race C is the longest, with tire wear and fuel usage, sometimes these races require a pit stop.

If you want to get a good amount of cars/money quickly, do the circuit experience mode and get all gold - it will give you a bonus car per track as well as a lot of money.

Specifically the daily race A, the less powered cars and simpler tracks are a good place to learn.
Daily race B usually features longer tracks that are more complex and higher powered cars.
Daily race C is the longest, with tire wear and fuel usage, sometimes these races require a pit stop.

If you want to get a good amount of cars/money quickly, do the circuit experience mode and get all gold - it will give you a bonus car per track as well as a lot of money.

Definitely worth doing the Circuit Experience, Mission Challenges and Licenses imo - as you say, it's good experience, easy money and you get cars gifted too. In the early days, I found it quite a good way to break away from the intensity of online racing as well!

I'm a motion steering user after I switched from the sticks while trying to gold mount panorama in circuit experience. I was having problems with oversteer through the technical sections. After hours of attempts I switched to MS and it immediately fixed my oversteer issues.

Motion steering is phenomenal and very effective in smoothing out my steering. It definitely took time to get used to but now it is just so natural. I highly recommend it.

For me the best way to use it is by tilting the controller just like you said from a flat position. Most of the time I rest my arms on my armrests of my chair.

On another note SPORT MODE ( the best part of the game IMO)
I found that the best path to sport mode for me was:

first doing the driver school (gold everything)

Then I did a few of the missions to get used to driving in traffic and learn the tracks a bit

Then before I did any online racing I would gold the track I wanted to do in circuit experience. This way I at least knew the track pretty well before I was thrown to the wolves of sport mode.

Then qualify qualify qualify ( that's 20 laps or more) you want the track and car combo to become almost automatic to you

All great tips thanks a lot for contributing everyone.

So John so you now since totally in tilt mode in the whole game? As you say I went from skidding all the time to smooth corners with tilt, it makes it a lot easier but not sure if removes something from the game...?

All great tips thanks a lot for contributing everyone.

So John so you now since totally in tilt mode in the whole game? As you say I went from skidding all the time to smooth corners with tilt, it makes it a lot easier but not sure if removes something from the game...?
Yeah I use it for everything(even karts)

The reason it smooths out my driving it just the longer distance to full lock on the steering. This lets you be in more fine control. the rapid R-L-R of some corners is much easier if you can precisely go to 1/4 or 1/2 lock consistently. I also notice that i would naturally want to tilt my controller when using stick anyways, so MS felt natural pretty quickly.

give it an hour or two and you will be as fast as you are with the sticks or even faster
:cheers:

I'm a motion steering user after I switched from the sticks while trying to gold mount panorama in circuit experience. I was having problems with oversteer through the technical sections. After hours of attempts I switched to MS and it immediately fixed my oversteer issues.

Motion steering is phenomenal and very effective in smoothing out my steering. It definitely took time to get used to but now it is just so natural. I highly recommend it.

For me the best way to use it is by tilting the controller just like you said from a flat position. Most of the time I rest my arms on my armrests of my chair.

I've been tempted to try it but can't pull myself away from Sport Mode !

I've been tempted to try it but can't pull myself away from Sport Mode !
Honeslty (becuase i timed it) it only took me about 45 min from the first time it tried it to match my sticks time on bathurst. Maybe that was due to the fact that i was still less than 50hrs into the game so i hadnt gotten fully used to the sticks yet. But it was shocking how much i liked it. It is more similar to driving with a wheel where your hands can just follow the curvature of the track.

In campaign, GT League, if you run the races with a lower N rated car you are give bonus percentage on credits and experience points. If you run a N400 race with a N200 car you will get a 40% bonus. You can also get a 50% bonus for running a clean race (don't bump other cars of walls,grass etc.). You can win most league race with a lower rated car and it makes the competition more interesting.
When you reach level 20 in the Professional League you can win the Premium Sports Lounge first race with a N300 KTM (check the Forum for setup) and receive a 374,000 credits for 12 minutes work. (60% performance bonus + 50% clean race bonus).:gtpflag:

Don't get much time on PS4 nowadays but loved GT back in the day so bought this, but haven't played much.

It's been so long since playing a GT and the options/settings/races etc on GTS are bewildering to me!

I've looked at the online manual for GTS but it's a bit basic. Is there anywhere with a decent guide, used to get Prima guides, son has some but can't find one for GTS.

The quick go's over had, I only use DS4, over tried with thumb sticks, and also the tilt function. Which is best?

Any tips to help please or where I can go to get a guide/instruction booklet etc please.

Thanks

Here’s a suggestion. Take the info from the posts in this thread and combine them with advice from many other threads, plus your own experience and build your own guide.

That will encourage your own exploration and, who knows, you might even end up with a marketable product!

The search facility in GT planet is your friend

Use tilt to steer. You specifically asked about that in your OP,. You can adjust the sensitivity in the options. I use 7, all the way maxed so I don't have to break my wrists in the tight corners. Have fun and learn the tracks. Use the cones and other driving aids, but forget about the driving line option. You'll figure out the fastest way around the track after some track time.

Here’s a suggestion. Take the info from the posts in this thread and combine them with advice from many other threads, plus your own experience and build your own guid
I wish I had the time, really do, don't get on PS4 much, had GTS since release and hardly been on it, so that's why I was looking.

GTplanet is a great resource though yes

Another tip for GT league if you are looking for fun: choose sport hard tyres when sport soft is allowed. This way you can still win but it feels more rewarding and real.

Another tip for GT league if you are looking for fun: choose sport hard tyres when sport soft is allowed. This way you can still win but it feels more rewarding and real.
That's something I've never done, or tried, messing with setup, wouldn't have a clue!

Thanks
I don't know of any books or guides for the game. I've also played these since the beginning and the game still plays pretty much the same. Just go into campaign and work on licenses which will fill your garage with cars and give you skills for the missions. Play the missions to hone your abilities and learn the tracks and get even more cars. Try the GT League to see how you are progressing in certain classes. I use a wheel so I don't have much to say about the controllers, except to try it both ways and use the one that works best for you. Also, it's a game. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Tried sport a little, eg today in Race B one make it looks like I don't have the car allowed. I thought you just "borrow" one for that race? Or do you first somehow have to earn the car elsewhere?

Just I wasn't allowed in a few races (as above haven't played much really), because didn't have the car needed.

Last edited:
Tried sport a little, eg today in RacebB one make it looks like I don't have the car allowed. I thought you just "borrow" one for that race? Or do you first somehow have to earn the car elsewhere?

Just I wasn't allowed in a few races (as above haven't played much really), because didn't have the car needed.
Race A One makes are with borrowed cars. Race B and Race C are garage cars even if its a one make.

to get the right car you have to go to Brand Central and buy it

Race A One makes are with borrowed cars. Race B and Race C are garage cars even if its a one make.

to get the right car you have to go to Brand Central and buy it
Thanks. Is there an easy way to find out if you have the correct car via intial menu or something? Is there a way to buy the correct car for that race as knowing me I'll buy the wrong one!!

Thanks. Is there an easy way to find out if you have the correct car via intial menu or something? Is there a way to buy the correct car for that race as knowing me I'll buy the wrong one!!
Well when you try to enter the race or qualify the game will throw out a dialog box telling you that you dont have the correct car in your garage. The specific car is listed in the initial menu and if you go to your brand central to the manufacturer's showroom you can purchase it there.

Just pay attention to the specific model because sometimes there are very similar options to choose from. I made this mistake buying the Mercedes AMG GT3 and ended up buying the slower option.

I would also buy every new car that you do not already have in the mileage exchange as they are only available for purchase from the exchange during the time they are listed.

It will comeback around but it may be a couple of months down the road and at times the Daily race could require the mileage exchange car and nothing else will substitute.

I would also buy every new car that you do not already have in the mileage exchange as they are only available for purchase from the exchange during the time they are listed.

It will comeback around but it may be a couple of months down the road and at times the Daily race could require the mileage exchange car and nothing else will substitute.
Sorry to ask but how do I do this? Do you mean it's a specific car you can buy in brand central only with mileage points?

Well when you try to enter the race or qualify the game will throw out a dialog box telling you that you dont have the correct car in your garage. The specific car is listed in the initial menu and if you go to your brand central to the manufacturer's showroom you can purchase it there.

Just pay attention to the specific model because sometimes there are very similar options to choose from. I made this mistake buying the Mercedes AMG GT3 and ended up buying the slower option.
I think it would be better if you don't have the car for a link to the correct one in brand central then? As you say it may be a wrong version you get

I can't find Race B car in brand central. It's a Lancer, doesn't seem to be the manufacturer my brand central?

You find it in the mileage exchange store, its in the same menu where you find the livery editor, your library and so forth.

Back