Best Album of 2005! Poll number 2.Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Silverzone
  • 37 comments
  • 1,763 views

Which one should it be?


  • Total voters
    50
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
4,312
ALRIGHTY! We had a good run on the last poll. The top 5 are now:

Avenged Sevenfold - City Of Evil
Coldplay - X&Y
Dredg - Catch Without Arms
Opeth - Ghost Of Reveries
System Of a Down - Hypnotize

Damn this one's hard.. I'm torn between Dredg and Avenged Sevenfold.. But yeah, in order to avoid false presumptions about the odd jumpings in vote, the poll is public. And remember, after this poll, there will be one more, with two options. And here we go.. no rules have changed:

You have 2 Weeks
and one vote.. Get on with it.

:D
 
Voted SOAD out of this batch. as going to vote ghost reveries but I really havn't listened to the whole CD
 
I need to listen to all these through one more time before I vote. :D
 
System got my vote.
Great driving music in my opinion.
 
I voted System, but why Hypnotize and not Mezmerize? I thought the latter was a wee bit better.

Darn.. No Foo Fighters...
:indiff:
 
SOAD again for me. Mezmerize isn't on there because everyone forgot it.
 
Two things.

Where did the "of" come from in Opeth - "Ghost Reveries"?

Why the **** is everyone still voting Coldplay? It's not even their best album, let alone album of the year. *throws toys out of pram*
 
911_Carrera
Two things.

Where did the "of" come from in Opeth - "Ghost Reveries"?

Why the **** is everyone still voting Coldplay? It's not even their best album, let alone album of the year. *throws toys out of pram*

eh, its probably a typo. But yeah, I don't understand the coldplay thing either.. :nervous:
 
I think no vote is the best vote for me in this poll. I didn't like any of these albums.

I really expected The Mars Volta to do much better.
 
I just picked up the Avenge Sevenfold CD today and I must say it's awesome...so it gets my vote.
 
911_Carrera
Why the **** is everyone still voting Coldplay? It's not even their best album, let alone album of the year. *throws toys out of pram*

In my view, it's the best album of the available choices.
 
911_Carrera
Two things.

Where did the "of" come from in Opeth - "Ghost Reveries"?

Why the **** is everyone still voting Coldplay? It's not even their best album, let alone album of the year. *throws toys out of pram*
X&Y is the essential "I don't know any of the other artists" vote for a lot of people. Personally i only know of Coldplay and SOAD here (and Opeth perhaps) and imo Hypnotize was better than XYzzz, so there's my vote. Rubin for President.

Should i know of the other 3 bands here in the UK?
 
donbenni
Should i know of the other 3 bands here in the UK?

Erm... Avenged Sevenfold is hardcore metal I think, Opeth, isn't that one of many new opera metal bands? And Dredg I have never heard of.

So to answer your question, if your into metal bands, perhaps you should.
 
I own all of those albums. Personally, I think dredg should be in everyone's collection.
 
So somehow there are 4 metal bands (in comparison to Coldplay) and Coldplay itself. No wonder there are so many votes for X&Y.
 
AH.. Dredg needs more votes.. I'm getting sad.

:(
 
When X&Y came out, it was my fav album. But after listening to it for months, it got boring and hypnotize took over when it came out. So i voted for hypnotize.
 
Jack
Where did the "of" come from in Opeth - "Ghost Reveries"?
Yeah, that was bugging me, too. Sorry Silverzone, but I had to edit that.
Max Powers
I really expected The Mars Volta to do much better.
In my opinion, De-Loused In The Comatorium was a much better album. The songs on Frances The Mute tended to drag out a little bit for me, and although it was a decent release, it didn't compare to De-Loused....
Bee
Erm... Avenged Sevenfold is hardcore metal I think, Opeth, isn't that one of many new opera metal bands? And Dredg I have never heard of.
Avenged Sevenfold are Hardcore, Opeth are Progressive Death Metal and Dredg are Progressive Rock/Metal.

My vote went to Opeth.
 
Jimmy Enslashay
Avenged Sevenfold are Hardcore, Opeth are Progressive Death Metal and Dredg are Progressive Rock/Metal.

Wandering off topic slightly - alright, a lot - what's the difference between those 3 genres? I can understand the difference between the larger groupings - ska, punk, death metal etc. - but when it gets technical I kinda get a bit lost.
 
Avenged sevenfold for me.
 
Roo
Wandering off topic slightly - alright, a lot - what's the difference between those 3 genres? I can understand the difference between the larger groupings - ska, punk, death metal etc. - but when it gets technical I kinda get a bit lost.
Hardcore is a style of punk music, which is heavier, sometimes faster, with harsh (predominantly screams and the occasional growl) vocals. It tends to have similar lyrical content to most Punk music, but lyrical content doesn't have as big an influence on Hardcore, it's more about the sound. The only difference with Avenged Sevenfold is that they're not really accepted as well within the Hardcore community, and generally better accepted in the Emo/Screamo community.

I'm sure you know what Death Metal is. Progressive Death Metal has all of the typical points of Death Metal, but mixes in a few different styles, and also varies itself a lot. This mix could be in each song or throughout the album, in separate songs. Basically, it's Death Metal which attributes to different styles of music, but still keeps the Death Metal feel. Oh, and don't say any Nu Metal bands are Progressive, please.

Progressive Rock runs along the same lines as Progressive Death Metal, with reference to Rock, rather than Death Metal. It's all basically the ability to change style without losing the connection to the original style of music.

Apologies for the off-topic post. Also apologies if some of that doesn't make too much sense, I've just woken up and I'm quite tired.
 
Max Powers
I think no vote is the best vote for me in this poll. I didn't like any of these albums.

I really expected The Mars Volta to do much better.
Same here.

None of these bands tickle my fancy at all.
I'd personally would have liked The Mars Volta to do better too.

Then again, all the bands I love don't produce any more music. Which is fine because I'd rather listen to the stuff that rock was made off.
 
Jimmy Enslashay
Hardcore is a style of punk music, which is heavier, sometimes faster, with harsh (predominantly screams and the occasional growl) vocals. It tends to have similar lyrical content to most Punk music, but lyrical content doesn't have as big an influence on Hardcore, it's more about the sound. The only difference with Avenged Sevenfold is that they're not really accepted as well within the Hardcore community, and generally better accepted in the Emo/Screamo community.

I'm sure you know what Death Metal is. Progressive Death Metal has all of the typical points of Death Metal, but mixes in a few different styles, and also varies itself a lot. This mix could be in each song or throughout the album, in separate songs. Basically, it's Death Metal which attributes to different styles of music, but still keeps the Death Metal feel. Oh, and don't say any Nu Metal bands are Progressive, please.

Progressive Rock runs along the same lines as Progressive Death Metal, with reference to Rock, rather than Death Metal. It's all basically the ability to change style without losing the connection to the original style of music.

Apologies for the off-topic post. Also apologies if some of that doesn't make too much sense, I've just woken up and I'm quite tired.

:)👍

Exactly the sort of answer I was hoping for. It all makes sense now. Ta!
 
Dredg ftw. I can't belive Hypnotize got on the poll and Mesmerize didn't...
 
They both sucked... ok, were really disappointing.

I'm gonna take a listen to Opeth and then post my vote. :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back