Best bike for a Beginner

• Thread starter Sniffs
  • 64 comments
Motorcycle insurance isn't optional if you finance the bike. The bank will require it to be covered or they'll come and get it.
I don't plan on financing the bike, but I did read that in a few places.
According to pretty much any review I've read, it's supposed to be a very good bike, though a lot of the bikers on the forum I use don't seem to like it, probably because it's not particularly quick. But for a beginner bike, 30-odd bhp and 100mph is enough for anyone. And bikes feel a heck of a lot quicker than cars.

Very true.

it does make me wonder why people buy litre bikes and such solely for the road, other than as an appendage-enlarger. I mean I love bikes, but something like an R1 is going to fulfil it's potential on the road no more than a Ferrari Enzo would. Apart from it being cheaper, which is obviously a major attraction.
Ride a litre V twin for a month, then re-evaluate your opinion.
For me it's all about surfing the wave of torque - not balls-out screaming revs and speed.
There is also the magic that comes with ownership of the icon that is a Ducati SBK. :)

Edit;
Back on topic - if you're 5'10" tall, then you could do a lot worse than a supermotard type machine. Economical, bulletproof, comfortable and usually as quick as a sports bike on back roads.

Last edited:
well, well...awake again.

looks like I have An "epic thread" let's hope I get good enough responses to get pinned, and that the bike guys can keep proving help, refrences, etc for beginner bikers.

Edit;
Back on topic - if you're 5'10" tall, then you could do a lot worse than a supermotard type machine. Economical, bulletproof, comfortable and usually as quick as a sports bike on back roads.

Well I'm 6' + and thats exactly what I did, worked a charm :)

Lots of people like a suzuki SV650 for starter and there is a used kawi500. Both are common for beginners, so you can pick one up and ride your first season and still sell it near what you paid for it and step up to a new bike if you wanted.
I agree. I own a TL1000s, which is the SV's bigger brother (sort of).
for the current price on used SV650's, you cant beat it. Its perfect for a begginer, but has LOADS of room to grow into.
-Its even a good bike to learn wheelies on. light weight, plus lots of torque, equals fun. just keep it in the parking lot if you're gona try something stupid. lol.

Back