Best cars for S-rank races (+)

• Thread starter chigrizund
  • 28 comments
What is the best car for winning S-rank races? "Best" meaning:

- a car that is easiest to drive (i.e. a forgiving car with good handling), and
- a car that the AI tends to pair with weaker opposition

My findings so far:
FF, circa 200 hp, circa 1000 kg cars are the best (for road races at least).

Current recommendation:
Spoon Integra TYPE R'99
Paired with (on R3 tyres): Pajero Rally Raid Car'85, Pajero Evo Rally Car'03, Toyota Sprinter Trueno S.Shigeno, Mugen S2000

Honorable mention:
Spoon CIVIC TYPE R (EK)'00. This car is definately faster than the Spoon Integra, but not by much. It is also somewhat less forgiving over curbs and tends to be paired with stronger opposition than the Spoon Integra. Otherwise, an excellent car.
Paired with (on R3 tyres): Trial CELICA SS-II, Amuse S2000 R1, Nissan GRAN TURIMSO SKYLINE GT-R, RUF 3400S'00, Nissan 240RS Rally Car'85

Other decent cars: Mitsubishi FTO GP Version R'99, Honda CIVIC TYPE R'01 and INTEGRA TYPE R'03, VW Lupo GTI Cup Car, Seat Ibiza Cupra '04

Car for ice races: RUF CTR2'96

Just use your start car. That tends to be the easiest handling car. Race against the same make if the AI puts cars that are too fast for you. It doesn't in my case (Golf IV GTI).

Just use your start car. That tends to be the easiest handling car. Race against the same make if the AI puts cars that are too fast for you. It doesn't in my case (Golf IV GTI).
Spoon Integra is very, very driveable and much quicker than the Golf VI GT.
Spoon Integra's time on the Ring is circa 8:00-8:03, what is Golf GT's time? 8:20?

Last edited:
I usually use cars i'm very comfortable with in S class races. The computer will never get more than 2 seconds from you at a time so you really must drive well. My usual suspects fro an s class race are any FWD cars or a few RWD cars like the 300zx or a silvia spec r.

The Veyron for Test Track is fine. It isn't cheating because the Citroen GT's will always be on your tail and they will draft past you.
And the OP has a great point. Thanks!!!

I've been using the GT-R to get S on all the tracks so far.
I tried the M3 GTR Race Car on the New York track and it didn't work out as well as I'd hoped.

If you need something stable and fast, an Audi RS6 will do quite nicely, almost too easy. ;)

Nissan Option Z is great for the Test Course, but you may need to reshuffle your opponents if another Option Z is in the field. Assuming a JGTC Skyline and a random German touring car, I can get a win with about a 30 second lead!

thanks for all the suggestions so far!

any recommendations for rally cars, too?

just for stile's sake, i'd try the delta integrale rally car. will this do to win the rally s-class events?

I've done pretty much all my races to get S with:
-Cusco '03 JGTC
-Mitsu rally '03
-Toyota mr-s JGTC
-Pescarolo C60 (for the long tracks like Test, LaSarthe, etc.)

It's the same formula every time. D, C, 2xB, 3xA, and several laps of S's just to get some money.
Oh yeah, 72 S's completed.

I've ignored the "license tests" for the time being (only 20some golds, the rest silver and bronze) and have only focused on collecting all the cars from every day.

Skyline GT-R specV in any one make race. Consistency and controllability in a potent and fun to drive package. Also the computer seems to be clueless about how to drive it.

For rally I use the pikes peak audi truck
And for races I use the M5 or spoon S2000 allot if its to hard for those which it rarely is the break out the bugatti veyron

Skyline GT-R specV in any one make race. Consistency and controllability in a potent and fun to drive package. Also the computer seems to be clueless about how to drive it.

Yes, this car is a joyride! I used it exclusively for S-rank coz it's easy to handle. I'm also using it to rake in the 150 grand in 1-lap nordschleife single race to save money. I guess that's the fastest way to save without an extra psp or cheating. pls let me know otherwise.

lolz, just tried it. The Prius completely destroys its competition :)

BTW, the best car for the Test Track races is the Pescarolo Hybride. It is paired with Suzuki Escudos and these are turtle-slow on the straights. All credit to GTMaster! https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/member.php?u=4702

I actually tried that and it didn't work for me... I got paired against very fast competition... I think it may work for some but for others you don't get the same competition, at least I didn't.

Car: Audi R8 LMS Race Car (Team PlayStation) '09
HP: 529
Transmission: Manual
Tires: RR3/RR3
TCS: 8
ASM: Off
Active Steering: Off
Driving Physics: Professional

- The car is good, and I haven't had too much trouble winning races. Although the AI does stay right on your butt the whole time on circuits such as La Sarthe, High Speed Ring, Test Track and The Ring. But if you race well, it can be a good car to win races with.

BUT!, I've read some recommendations you guys have posted and I'm going to try some out!! Thanks for those!!!!

I actually tried that and it didn't work for me... I got paired against very fast competition... I think it may work for some but for others you don't get the same competition, at least I didn't.
If you mean Pescarolo Hybrid, try running it at default settings, i.e. no suspension/downforce tweaks. At defaults I always end up with three Escudos as competition, whereas if I change the settings, there is a chance that the LMP cars will show up.

i found the Mitsubishi FTO Super Touring to be quite good on s races and i'm also a huge fan of the car since the GT2 days so this is a win-win situation anyway as i drive one of my favorites cars... :)

Quick Cash.... (at least in my opinion)

Track: High Speed Ring (Normal)
Difficulty Level: S

Car: RUF R-GT
Settings: All Stock except...
Tires: R3
TCS: Off or at 2 depending on how "slidy" you like the car.

Laps: 4 = $120,000
Laps: 5 = $150,000

takes about 5 minutes to complete the 4 laps, OR 6 minutes and some change to complete the 5 laps. If anyone knows any better way... let me know because so far this is the only thing I've been doing.. saving up for some prototypes!!!

Back