Best manufacturer to be competitive in Gr4 and Gr3 FIA championship for a rookie?

• Thread starter Kano Manel
  • 35 comments
United Kingdom
London
Hi all, considering this is the best forum to ask anything sim racing related, I have to make you a question:

For a rookie, what is the best manufacturer to be competitive in Gr4 and Gr3 FIA championship? Given that I’m going to focus more in Gr4 than in Gr3 (that is my rookie logic), what manufacturer will provide a better car. I want to be quick in Gr4 but I don’t want to look like an idiot in Gr3 (even if Gr3 is accessory for me)(rookie logic).

An illustrative example:

Dodge Gr4 is delightful, I just love it. Powerful and easy to drive, I’d say forgiving.

Doge Gr3 is super quick, but tries to kill me after every single corner. It’s a handful, I can’t finish a lap on that thing. I don’t suggest is bad, I suggest that is not easy for a rookie.

I wouldn’t recommend Dodge as a manufacturer for a rookie, because you will be able to race well only in 1 car.

Another example:

Audi Gr4, is a turbo, very quick, probably good in fuel saving with short-shifting. Easy to drive, great speed.

Audi Gr3, it is a good car that can be tricky in particular moments (and kerbs), but in general I’d say is easy to drive… but is not super quick if you know what I mean.
I don’t think I’d choose Audi because I have the feeling that the R8 may be slower than the rest? Am I wrong?

What do you think? Please share your opinion.

What is the best manufacturer for a good representation?

Hi all, considering this is the best forum to ask anything sim racing related, I have to make you a question:

For a rookie, what is the best manufacturer to be competitive in Gr4 and Gr3 FIA championship? Given that I’m going to focus more in Gr4 than in Gr3 (that is my rookie logic), what manufacturer will provide a better car. I want to be quick in Gr4 but I don’t want to look like an idiot in Gr3 (even if Gr3 is accessory for me)(rookie logic).

An illustrative example:

Dodge Gr4 is delightful, I just love it. Powerful and easy to drive, I’d say forgiving.

Doge Gr3 is super quick, but tries to kill me after every single corner. It’s a handful, I can’t finish a lap on that thing. I don’t suggest is bad, I suggest that is not easy for a rookie.

I wouldn’t recommend Dodge as a manufacturer for a rookie, because you will be able to race well only in 1 car.

I absolutely would.

What assists do you use when driving the Dodge Gr3? I ask because when I was a rookie, I never (and still never) have experienced any issues with the Viper. The only time I've ever spun the Viper out is if I go off track or go into a corner at 100mph faster than I should be.

Lexus and Chevrolet are definitely two pairs of cars that perform very similarly and effectively.
I have the Gr2 Lexus and is superb, Gr4 is ok... but I'm not quick on it, I drive better with MR cars. I don't know about the Gr3 (and I'd have to pay half a million credits to test it, if you know what I mean). How is the handling?
I tend to dislike FR cars, I even labeled the Gr4 Mercedes "Das Fliegende Schwein" (The Flying Pig) and painted it green like the bad piggies in Angry Birds. They say the Gr3 is wonderful though, I doubt it. It's a bigger understeering pig, just like her little sibling.

I absolutely would.

What assists do you use when driving the Dodge Gr3? I ask because when I was a rookie, I never (and still never) have experienced any issues with the Viper. The only time I've ever spun the Viper out is if I go off track or go into a corner at 100mph faster than I should be.

Maybe the car has changed in the last updates? I remember it was a Daily Race in Dragon trail, on Monday... I think... I had to finish the race driving at 80 miles hour, all aids off except for ABS default. Is Gr3 the one that I'm talking about, like trying to drive on ice. soft pedal, medium pedal, full flat out pedal, didn't matter.

But since I bought it, I'm gonna test it today again, now in Brands Hatch. Let's see what happens.

As a beginner its Mitsubishi or Subaru. Both cars are easy with TC off. Both Gr.3 cars are stable. Hyundai is also a good beginner choice.
but are they quick enough ? I have been testing for almost 2 weeks... I takes a lot of money to find the best combination. First I thought that would be the Lambos but then the Mustangs went faster, and then the Audis... crap I don't know what to do. I wish the BoP test of Gr4 were done in the same tracks as Tidgney's Gr3, so I could compare videos (speed, stability, braking points)

Well speaking as a former Manufacturer champion (:P), the one thing I can't stress enough is do not follow the crowd, every car in the game is now pretty well balanced, they all hit within around half a second of each other on most circuits.

At a rookie level, the meta is irrelevant, as nobody is even getting close to pushing their car to the limit on the grid. So I say, go with your favourite, go with what you are comfortable in, test some manufacturers out, and stick with it.

And even at the highest level of play, due to the new Top 24 system, a good manufacturer isn't even necessarily a good pick either. You can be 3rd in the region, but if the 2 guys ahead of you are also in your manufacturer... You aren't going to Top 24.

Throw in the fact that we will have mid-season BoP adjustments, and its honestly anyone's guess which Manufacturer is on top by the time Top 24 rolls around.

In essence... Manufacturer choice... really doesn't actually matter that much, and completely depends on what goal you are trying to accomplish. Because of this, stick with your strengths, somebody else can't tell you what cars you like.

Maybe the car has changed in the last updates? I remember it was a Daily Race in Dragon trail, on Monday... I think... I had to finish the race driving at 80 miles hour, all aids off except for ABS default. Is Gr3 the one that I'm talking about, like trying to drive on ice. soft pedal, medium pedal, full flat out pedal, didn't matter.

But since I bought it, I'm gonna test it today again, now in Brands Hatch. Let's see what happens.

I've been driving Dodge since the game came out. I never had the issues you mentioned at the start and I've never had them at any time since.

I've used both a controller and wheel and have always had TC on 2 and ABS on as my only assists.

Personally, I like the Corvette for gr3 and 4. It's not the best on fuel, but I find it easy to drive and lay down consistent lap times. But as @mclarenLB said, it's all about what you like and what you are comfortable with. I usually try to try out a new brand every time, usually going for one that I do not have either gr car in to find out if I like them. If I do like their cars, I end up buying them for myself. If I don't, then at least I got to try them out and put some miles on both vehicles.

Honda NSX is by far the most user friendly. Try them out, you may be very pleasantly surprised!
I did, and I found that the G2/Gr3 are amazing but the Gr4 is very technical and I must have exquisite finesse driving it to get something good (I work 14 hours every day 5 days a week, I don't have that much level of attention when I sit in front of the wheel, if you know what I mean).

In essence... Manufacturer choice... really doesn't actually matter that much, and completely depends on what goal you are trying to accomplish. Because of this, stick with your strengths, somebody else can't tell you what cars you like.

I know you are right, but is not that easy. When you are rookie one car is completely different from another. People dislike the Cayman, I'm 2 seconds faster with it per lap compared to most of the others Gr4 (Brands Hatch).

Then, in Kyoto I discovered that the Cayman suffers lack of top speed and I tested the Audi (I got it for free in a gift), what a change, I even qualified 6 surrounded by good drivers, I'm talking about peak hour here. I took the TT to Brands Hatch yesterday and hard ****ed every single time I had done. And then I bought the R8 and turns out it's just ok... good looking... easy to drive, but not that quick.

Any input, opinion, suggestion, is very welcome. My goal is to find a double reliable fast car and lap and lap and lap over and over again until wife gives up and kicks me out of the house.:lol:

but are they quick enough ?

Quickness is a perspective, I used the Evo X Gr.4 last week and in the slipstream of a TT (up a hill) the TT was pulling away, I couldn’t believe it, but through the turns I was gaining ALOT of time. It’s track dependant, but they the evo and wrx are both great cars to drive, certainly for beginners in both Gr.3 & Gr.4.

The NSX is a great car to choose for beginners too but IIRC tyre wear is a slight issue. Dodge is a great choice too, the Gr.3 can be a handful but is manageable.

Mitsubishi.

The Gr.4 has AWD and is competitive on quite a few tracks.

The Gr.3 is the easiest car to drive car in its category. Also competitive on handling tracks.

The downside is both are not very good on fuel.

Mitsubishi.

The Gr.4 has AWD and is competitive on quite a few tracks.

The Gr.3 is the easiest car to drive car in its category. Also competitive on handling tracks.

The downside is both are not very good on fuel.

Are they really that fast? I don't want to expend 1.5 millions to test them, if you know what I mean

There seems to be no wrong answer to this. What is the fastest is what you feel works for you, depending on the tracks for the season.

To each his own.

I "signed" my driver contract with Honda, so i get the NSX Gr. 3 and Gr. 4 cars. I also like using the Dodge Vipers (personal favourites) and I race almost exclusively with the Peugeot RCZ's. I know they're not the fastest by any means, I'm usually about 10 seconds slower than the top qualifiers but they're fun to race and I enjoy racing in a pack of 3-5 cars going back and forth all race. Switching to the NSX's or the Vipers usually improves my lap times by 5-7 seconds, closing the gap to the top.

I bite my own nose to spite my face by avoiding the "top" choices and known fast cars.

Are they really that fast? I don't want to expend 1.5 millions to test them, if you know what I mean

You specifically asked for the best car for a rookie. There are faster cars out there, but the Gr.4 car at least is the best car for some tracks (Interlagos, Nurburgring GP, Tsukuba). The Gr.3 is a good allrounder that is very competitive(not necessarily the best) at tracks like Interlagos, Brands Hatch and Nurburgring GP. You will have a hard time with either of them at speed tracks like Monza, Le Mans or Bathurst.

Keep in mind that FIA races are quite long. Being able to drive consistently and keeping the car on the track is more important than outright speed.

I think you can test the GR.4 Lancer at the Tsukuba track experience.

This is a difficult question to answer because a lot of it comes down to individual skill and how that translates to certain cars.

However, if you're a beginner, then being in the "fastest" car is less important than using something that makes you the most consistent. In other words, you'll have enough in your hands racing with other people so it doesn't help if you're also fighting for car control.

With that, I'd say the safest options are:

Chevrolet - Good speed and consistent. Fuel not so good, though. Gr3 car may not be for everyone.
Mitsubishi - Better handling but straightline speed an issue.
Hyundai - Both cars are quite forgiving and easy to jump in and get up to pace with. Lacking a bit of speed but manageable regardless of track.

Well speaking as a former Manufacturer champion (:P), the one thing I can't stress enough is do not follow the crowd, every car in the game is now pretty well balanced, they all hit within around half a second of each other on most circuits.

At a rookie level, the meta is irrelevant, as nobody is even getting close to pushing their car to the limit on the grid. So I say, go with your favourite, go with what you are comfortable in, test some manufacturers out, and stick with it.

And even at the highest level of play, due to the new Top 24 system, a good manufacturer isn't even necessarily a good pick either. You can be 3rd in the region, but if the 2 guys ahead of you are also in your manufacturer... You aren't going to Top 24.

Throw in the fact that we will have mid-season BoP adjustments, and its honestly anyone's guess which Manufacturer is on top by the time Top 24 rolls around.

^^This, all day.

I haven't raced in an M C'hip, but I wholeheartedly agree. Race the car you're comfortable using. Even race your favourite, no matter your speed.

Many real racers may have a fast car, but a set up or team that may underperform. Some real racers have not so quick cars, yet can extract the most out of them.

As a virtual rookie, you have the best opportunity, over a real world racer, to try each car. Sure, it doesn't hurt to pick the car from everyone's suggestions. However, the car of popular vote, may not be the car you're comfortable using.

Aston Martin have one of the best all-arounders of both classes, they're quite a pleasure to drive too, but you will need TCS 3 to handle the Vantage GT3 wheelspin.

When I first got into the game, I ran mostly Gr4 class in the 458. It is a great car. I really liked that I could keep up with others and I didn't have to have the finesse with throttle that some of the GR3 Cars require. It was a great starting point. I would also say the Vette is a good option too. It is great at late braking, and fast down the straights.

I would focus my game on GR4 Cars at first then move to Gr3 after a while

I can't say on manufacturer series (I don't run them) but the Gr4 Huracan is very forgiving. Is it the fastest? I don't know, but being able to control a car makes you faster against others. Gr3 Beatle is easy to control also. Viper and Corvette are very good but get tail happy when you get too eager exiting a corner.

Thank you all for your opinions, you have been very helpful. I made mi mind already after testing yesterday.

But before I finally choos my manufacturer I want to share something else.

I tested again, this time in Suzuka. I noticed something strange in the R8.

After the “Dunlop” there are two right turns and then the hairpin, right? Most of the time I don’t brake, I just let the car coast, half brake pedal, and in low speed gear down. Whenever I do this between the Dunlop and the hairpin, the R8 spins; and a couple of times in the hairpin itself, again coasting downhill, half brake pedal, and gear down= spin.

I know, I should heel-toe, that’s the problem, right? But is it possible to heel-toe in GT Sport? I use a G29 and my clutch pedal doesn’t seem to do anything.

(This only happens to me with the R8)

Thank you all for your opinions, you have been very helpful. I made mi mind already after testing yesterday.

But before I finally choos my manufacturer I want to share something else.

I tested again, this time in Suzuka. I noticed something strange in the R8.

After the “Dunlop” there are two right turns and then the hairpin, right? Most of the time I don’t brake, I just let the car coast, half brake pedal, and in low speed gear down. Whenever I do this between the Dunlop and the hairpin, the R8 spins; and a couple of times in the hairpin itself, again coasting downhill, half brake pedal, and gear down= spin.

I know, I should heel-toe, that’s the problem, right? But is it possible to heel-toe in GT Sport? I use a G29 and my clutch pedal doesn’t seem to do anything.

(This only happens to me with the R8)
That's sort of the MR-nature of the car. Normally MR Gr. 3's aren't that bad, but the R8 and the R.S. 01 are special cases (The 458 and Huracan might be as well). One of the advantages of an MR car is that it rotates quicker due to the center of mass being closer to the actual center of the car, but take it too far and that's what you're getting in the R8

Gr. 3 cars don't need clutch pedals and shifters- they're paddles :)

Back