Best PC Racing Simulation Game

• Thread starter plsleite
  • 37 comments
leite1987
Hello guys!

I've got a Logitech G27 and have been playing GT5 for a while, but my PS3 is dying... Everytime I try to play any demanding game It shuts down, beeps 3 times and blinks red, I think it's an overheating issue (it's not the YLOD).

Anyway, I'm looking for a good pc racing simulator game so that I can play until I get a new PS3.

What I'm looking for here is:
1. Simulation (GT series alike)
2. I need the driving line assist... I cannot drive on manual gear without it! Maybe someday, but not yet!
3. Full manual gear and clutch compatibility (G27). I guess all of them will have it.

4. The BEST graphics I can get with those caracteristics!!! I'm used to GT5 so I guess my standards are high... (wondering if there are any PC games up to it)

No really need of online gaming... would be nice, but I've bought the wheel recently and can't drive very well with the manual gears yet!

I really like GT5 because you can start with "slow" cars, there are the license stuff, it's beautifull and has the "driving line" assist.

I've played F1 2010, the graphics are awsome and so is the gameplay, but i'd like something more GT alike...

Thanks in advance!

BTW, I've got a Dell Studio XPS 16 Notebook
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Processor Intel ® Core ™ i7 820QM 1.73GHz (3.06GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache)
Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
Monitor HD+ Widescreen 15.6 inch WLED LCD (1680x945) W/2.0 MP
Video Card ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 4670 – 1GB
Hard Drive 320GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Not a bad pc at all, you should be able to run GTR2 and rFactor smoothly with good details and frame rate. rFactor is all about mods, the original game doesn't have many cars I suggest you to try this game later once you settle yourself with pc sims. If you come from GT5 and you want something ready to go with licensed cars, GTR2 and GTR Evo by SimBin are the games for you. They are pretty cheap now and the quality is very high. You need to downlad Logitech drivers for your G27 I think. At the beginning you need to find the best FFB settings, these games are highly customizable, and you could need a couple of days to figures it out. Don't forget to set the graphic detail to reach about 60 fps (download Fraps for check it). Once you are ready.. have fun! You will be amazed by the driving physics and by the competitive, realistic and customizable AI.

GTR Evo/GTR2 series games
Rfactor

Those would do you well, but you will not find the "driving line" aid available in either. if you learn a track you wont need the driving line anyway. Practice makes perfect. Those games have an older graphics engine also, so you wont see the quality of graphics you see in GT5, but if you max the settings it can look good. These games are fantastic simulation racing games.

You could play NFS:Shift, which has great graphics, but that isn't really a simulation game like the above games.

Thank you guys.

Just to clarify things...

Race 07 (2007) is one game, that have the following expansions:
- STCC the game (2008)
- GTR Evolution (2008)
- Race On (2009)

Then there's GTR2 (2006), with no expansions...

Do they (Race 07 or GTR2) have a career mode, where you have to pass license tests and buy cars, or are they all about chosing a tournament, a car and then race?

They were both produced by SimBin... I guess Race 07 + expansions is graphically better then GTR2 (since its more recent). Am I right?

Is there any reason I should buy GTR2 instead of Race 07?

NFS Shift

It's "less" simulator than the other two, but has GT like game modes, like a career, you can buy/sell cars, right?

Is it compatible with the G27 (clutch)?

Thanks and sorry for the gramatical mistakes, I'm from Brazil.

GTR2 together with GT Legends has the best handling physics by SimBin. And the largest comunity of modders and skinners with lot of extra stuff: cars modpacks,tracks. The most famous and modded race sims out there are rFactor and GTR2. Race 07 and all other games by SimBin are still great games btw, if you want skins and mods for almost every Sim go to nogripracing.com.

Do they (Race 07 or GTR2) have a career mode, where you have to pass license tests and buy cars, or are they all about chosing a tournament, a car and then race?

Bold part is correct.

I would start with Race 07 just because there is more variety.

Is Steam available in Brazil? You can get Race 07 + GTR Evolution for $30 US.

I recently purchased Race 07 and GTR Evolution bundle pack on STEAM. There are other expansions available as well your computer will probably be able to run it at max settings and with a full field of over 20 vehicles to compete against. I just recently hooked up my DFGT to it and tested it out, it was awesome! The AI are pretty good especially if you put them at 90% or above. They don't drive like mindless zombies. Try it out, there is a free demo on STEAM.

Oh yeah, a group called RaceRoom just released a free expansion adding a Formula 1 car that you can get through STEAM. It's great.

Here's a video of a recent online race, check out how many people there are and it is actually pretty clean. Depending on your PC your graphics will look better or worse. The video is low quality unfortunately.

Last edited:
IMO you must start with shift, then GTR Evo and then GTR2/rfactor, in that way you get used with the mod stuff and, very important, with the FFB adjust, since you can edit ANYthing in PC you have several options for any feature.
And for online the best are GTR2 and rfactor, they has the very best net code, also you can try iRacing BUT you must pay for month/year.

Get used, in PC its very common that you have all this sims and in the end you pick your favorite.

PS: and then you must try Richard Burns Rally, the only sim that fears you at high speeds, cara ;)

Should be mentioned, if you don't mind the monthly fee (which isnt much to be honest) iRacing is by far the best racing sim available as a whole. But its an online racing game, there is no career mode. Rather you have your own career based on online racing.

With safe driving you get safety rating points for your time trials, qualifying and races, which allows you to earn new licences to move on to higher powered cars and series. Winning races or placing well in races influences your iRating, which is a way of measuring driver skill or speed, which is then used to match you with other drivers of similar level. The physics in iRacing are the best, online code is the best, graphics are very good.

I also think that Rfactor is a must have PC sim, you can pick it up cheap and it has so much downloadable content via mods, you could play it for years and not play it all.

I'm playing Shift Demo and the steering is very bad... so is the force feedback...
Can someone help me adjust G27's settings?
Much appreciated.

Unfortunately the PC demo is still v1.01 (before the 1.02 megapatch) and can't be patched with mods. The only thing I can think of which might possibly improve things is if you give the modded G-27 controller profile files a go, which will improve FFB somewhat:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9xjkbiibma9c0ah

Drop them in the \shift-demo\ControllerDefaults\PC folder overwriting the old ones, then go to options > gameplay > controls, select the G-27 profile (seperated pedals is best - but make sure your logitech profiler is set up in this mode first :)), hit "2" to reload defaults. Unfortunately it's not easy to patch much else in the demo than this so the other improvements / bugfixes from mods can't really be used.

The most realistic simulator is IRacing bar none. But you have to be online to race and you don't buy it but have to subscribe. A good choice would be Nascar Racing 2003 Season and there are a lot of leagues for it.

I'm also thinking of trying PC racing. I started playing Gt5 on the PS3 In Feb. so I still consider myself new to simracing. My question is will the G27 work with the games mentioned above using the H-shifter and clutch? I tried shift1 with ps3 and I can shift gear even without pressing the clutch which is not so good compared with GT5 were you cannot change gear using the H-shifter without pressing the clutch.

Your Inputs will be highly appreciated guys!

I own these games and they all work fantastic with my G27 wheel, clutch and H-shifter working, FFB etc.

Rfactor
GTR2
iRacing
NetKar Pro
F1 2010 (No clutch/H-shift)
Dirt 2 (No clutch/H-shift)
Richard Burns Rally (No H-shift)

I'm also thinking of trying PC racing. I started playing Gt5 on the PS3 In Feb...

We all started in console games like Gt5 proplogue, Forza 3, GT5 and then... PC sim racing. It's the evolution, people always want some more and don't want to be limited by developers. Pc sims are higly customizable, you can race whatever you want, not to mention the better physics. A good PC for gaming cost around 600 € now. PS4 will cost the same when it comes out. PC is the future of sim racing.

Thanks guys for the replies...👍 now i need to get a new pc and try the games that Bigbazz mentioned. another question is where to get these games(rfactor and gtr - they work with clutch and shifter) because I don't see them in gamestop (USA). Do they sell this games in disk? or just downloadable software from site? :gtpflag:

Thanks guys for the replies...👍 now i need to get a new pc and try the games that Bigbazz mentioned. another question is where to get these games(rfactor and gtr - they work with clutch and shifter) because I don't see them in gamestop (USA). Do they sell this games in disk? or just downloadable software from site? :gtpflag:

You can get GTR Evolution and Race on by downloading from Steam.
I am trying the demos from there, but no one seems to be as good as GT5...

In Shift I've had some steering and FFB issues (didn't try using the profile indicated yet).

In GTR Evo and Race on, I don't know why, I can change gears without steping on the clutch... Is there a solution to this?

You can get GTR Evolution and Race on by downloading from Steam.
I am trying the demos from there, but no one seems to be as good as GT5...

In Shift I've had some steering and FFB issues (didn't try using the profile indicated yet).

In GTR Evo and Race on, I don't know why, I can change gears without steping on the clutch... Is there a solution to this?

If you spect graphics and a carrer mode no one is good has GT5 but in physics and net code the ISI engines are the best proved ones, also iRacing and NKP are in that league.

For Shift download the sharp mod and in GTR evo maybe you have auto-clutch on, check it(edit, try presing Fs)

Last edited:
I recently purchased Race 07 and GTR Evolution bundle pack on STEAM.
Here's a video of a recent online race, check out how many people there are and it is actually pretty clean.

Pretty impressive stuff. I am leaning very much to the GTR evolution/Simbin games, especially since I like touring cars very much. What I have seen till now makes me want to buy a dedicated game PC right now.

@Wh33LS; thanks for questioning, exact the topic I was looking for.

I have steam installed, unfortunately my laptop won't run GTR evo the way I'd like It to see, but I think It doesn't have to cost a fortune to find a PC that will run the game reasonably well. I don't mind the graphics, If the physics, car- and track choice are oke. And I am impressed with the sounds too.

A ranking of physics across platforms with the best/most believable at the top:

1. iracing
2. netcar pro
3. rfactor (a select few mods)
4. simbin titles
5. gran turismo 5
6. nfs shift/f1 2010

rfactor is best bang for buck, since its basically almost free and the amount of free content is staggering, although at least 50% is crap. (Dont listen to the guy that said rfactor lite can be "modded" into the full version, he is basically talking about piracy) Simbins games are solid but aging, but also cheap. Netkar is also cheap, but very much a indie title. Fantastic physics but low on content and maybe the worst netcode ever. Mostly a hotlaping title. iracing is the worst bang for buck, but also the best overall package by far with the best tracks you have ever driven on with very well made cars in a rock solid online ladder system with stats, series, competitions and official sanctioning from real life series.

rfactor 2 is coming this year, but expect it to take some time until the modders get it up to speed. Simbin is coming with GTR3, but who knows when.

I think Boome is pretty much right on the money (for the PC titles anyway). I recommend adding GT Legends to your short list to start with. You can get for next to nothing on Amazon (just $10), and has some of the best physics among Simbin titles in my opinion. There's also a way to unlock all the cars and tracks right from the get go, and beyond that, there's a good amount of free add-ons floating around (not quite as intimidating as rFactor, which has a gazillion mods). Also the GT40 in that game has some of the best engine sounds I've ever heard.
I also strongly recommend Netkar if you're into realism and hotlapping; there are no add on cars yet, but there's a nice selection of add on tracks.

rFactor has pretty much ruined console racing games for me

the mod expandability and physics are just unbeatable

I always was a PC gamer, but rfactor never end amaze me, i can believe the number of tracks i have!!!, worst i always end racing in the same ones!!! lol

Back