Best Qualifying Laps Ever?

• Thread starter Chris123
  • 52 comments

Arie Luyendyk's 1996 Indy 500 qualification, happened on Day 2 so it didn't count but it was the fastest lap and 4 laps ever at Indianapolis.

I can't believe how short the braking distance is for the first Mulsanne chicane.

LMP1 is now eerily close to F1 levels of grip. Granted they'll still not keep up with this years F1, but put them against a top tier F1 from a couple of years ago and I'm sure it'll give it a run for it's money.

I can't believe how short the braking distance is for the first Mulsanne chicane.

It's quite staggering, almost incredible. Almost as impressive is just how quick he was through the Porsche curves. In fact, he's lapped faster than the old chicane-less layout that saw Group C cars hit 240mph in the 1980s, which just shows how advanced tire and suspension technology has become, as he's barely touching 200mph through the Hunaudieres. Stunning, really.

Not surprising to see this thread perk up after Kobayashi's lap. Love the section around the Porsche Curves/Corvette corner.

Here's one that's about as close to perfect as I've seen:

Really struggling to find even the tiniest mistake in that lap.

The fastest qualifying lap ever, may never be beaten

Wheelspin at over 240mph. Watch the rubber trail the right rear tire leaves from 2:00 - 2:05 in the video

Gerhard Berger puts on a show.
Was never the fastest lap time ever at Monaco, but definitely one of the best to behold.
In the words of John Watson - GLORIOUS!!

Gerhard Berger puts on a show.
Was never the fastest lap time ever at Monaco, but definitely one of the best to behold.
In the words of John Watson - GLORIOUS!!

Fantastic power slides from Berger :bowdown:

I don't care what anyone says, make it possible to do this in the current cars & the people will turn up in their masses.
Dropping the pace a little for some Super Touring, this here is a magnificent showing of flamboyant but, at the same time, fast driving.

This lap by Giovanardi & Berger's above are what people want to see: drivers on the absolute edge of adhesion & dancing over it.
Grabbing the car by the scruff, tightening their crotch strap on their harnesses a little tighter and going for it :mischievous:

So much this. Love how he turns off the radio just before Porsche curves.
Hope this isn't too OT, but I heard a story that the reason he turns off his radio was the team was screaming at him to turn the engine down and to slow down as the engine was very close to exploding. So he fixed the problem by turning off his radio!

I'll include this lap, so my post isn't too OT... one of the best laps Lewis has ever put together. Breathtaking!

Hope this isn't too OT, but I heard a story that the reason he turns off his radio was the team was screaming at him to turn the engine down and to slow down as the engine was very close to exploding. So he fixed the problem by turning off his radio!

That's right, he was overheating the blowers and he basically told them to sod off and switched it off.

This is probably the best looking lap of Bathurst I've seen from a touring car.

I remember this lap well.

What's staggering to me is, it would've sat on Pole Position in 1989, fourth in 1990-1992 against the best Group A could muster & still managed a time good enough for fifth in 1993!

They ran two separate Bathurst 1000's that year, and Mark Skaife's shootout lap in the V8 Supercar 'classic' was also a really good one, taking pole by 0.5547 seconds. But it does also put into perspective just how good the Super Touring cars were, as a car with twice the power was only 5.032 seconds faster;

Back