Best racing games with a wheel on PS2 and PS3

• Thread starter Tristan H
  • 45 comments
@Tristan H

Can't speak about PS2, but for PS3 based on the games I've owned and played, I will divide them into 3 tiers in term of driving with a wheel:

Good (aka I always use a wheel to play these)
GT5P/GT5/GT6
Superstars V8 Racing & SV8R Next Generation
Dirt 2/3 (2 is slightly better IMO)
Grid Autosport
Outrun Online Arcade
Daytona USA

Mid (generally ok with wheel, but FFB/physics not as good as above)
Sega Rally Revo (I just can't gel with this game, long term Sega Rally players YMMV)
NFS Shift (beware of input lag)
Ferrari/Supercar Challenge (decent physics but poor FFB)
Initial D Extreme Stage (though this is considered the worst handling Initial D game to date, so stick with arcade versions)
F1CE (again decent physics but outdated FFB)
F1 2010 (opposite of F1CE, FFB is better but wonky physics, later F1 games might be better but I didn't play any of them sadly)

Bad (aka stick with pad)
Race Driver Grid (physics too floaty to be enjoyable with wheel)
Grid 2 (drift oriented physics better with pad, though FFB is decent from the one time I tried with a wheel. Get Autosport instead)
Dirt 1 (as per RDG)
Burnout Paradise, Ridge Racer 7, all other NFS, Fuel, Split Second, Blur, Modnation, Wipeout (arcade games are better enjoyed with a pad)

Did not check
Driver SF (really good physics for an arcade game, but I can't for the life of me remember ever testing it with a wheel)
Crazy Taxi (I know the arcade game uses a wheel, so I suppose it's good but never checked myself)

@Tristan H

Can't speak about PS2, but for PS3 based on the games I've owned and played, I will divide them into 3 tiers in term of driving with a wheel:

Good (aka I always use a wheel to play these)
GT5P/GT5/GT6
Superstars V8 Racing & SV8R Next Generation
Dirt 2/3 (2 is slightly better IMO)
Grid Autosport
Outrun Online Arcade
Daytona USA

Mid (generally ok with wheel, but FFB/physics not as good as above)
Sega Rally Revo (I just can't gel with this game, long term Sega Rally players YMMV)
NFS Shift (beware of input lag)
Ferrari/Supercar Challenge (decent physics but poor FFB)
Initial D Extreme Stage (though this is considered the worst handling Initial D game to date, so stick with arcade versions)
F1CE (again decent physics but outdated FFB)
F1 2010 (opposite of F1CE, FFB is better but wonky physics, later F1 games might be better but I didn't play any of them sadly)

Bad (aka stick with pad)
Race Driver Grid (physics too floaty to be enjoyable with wheel)
Grid 2 (drift oriented physics better with pad, though FFB is decent from the one time I tried with a wheel. Get Autosport instead)
Dirt 1 (as per RDG)
Burnout Paradise, Ridge Racer 7, all other NFS, Fuel, Split Second, Blur, Modnation, Wipeout (arcade games are better enjoyed with a pad)

Did not check
Driver SF (really good physics for an arcade game, but I can't for the life of me remember ever testing it with a wheel)
Crazy Taxi (I know the arcade game uses a wheel, so I suppose it's good but never checked myself)

Thanks. Very helpful.

From my investigating online, it seems Driver: San Francisco does not have wheel support on the PS3.

I think also the lag issues with Shift (or at least Shift 2) were fixed through patching, and having the right in-game settings.

Does anyone have any recommendations of games that are good for cruising?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Very helpful.

From my investigating online, it seems Driver: San Francisco does not have wheel support on the PS3.

I think also the lag issues with Shift (or at least Shift 2) were fixed through patching, and having the right in-game settings.

Does anyone have any recommendations of games that are good for cruising?

I didn't get Shift 2 after being traumatised by the first one, but I can tell you that even after the last patch and tinkering with the settings the cars still don't respond directly in Shift 1. Could be the input lag, could be also the base physics are just not very responsive. You do get used to it, but after playing GT you just couldn't go back. On PC they have mods that improved the handling, but no luck for consoles.

In terms of cruising, any open world game will do. Most of the NFS games are open world. Burnout Paradise is also good. FUEL has the biggest map of any racing game ever (14,000 sq km), but it's procedurally generated so a lot of people feel it's empty and boring. Personally, I think it makes it the most realistic open world map and the sense of freedom is just unparalleled.

Test Drive Unlimited on PS2 is considered a cult classic, though it looks too outdated for me when I tried to play it a few year ago. TDU2 on the PS3 has 2 islands so double the fun, but the driving physics sucks so much I'd avoid it. Not sure about wheel support for either.

If you make the jump to PC, there are plenty more options (ETS and Assetto with virtually unlimited mods). PS4 has The Crew, Xbox has Forza Horizon. But on PS2/3 that's pretty much it.

I didn't get Shift 2 after being traumatised by the first one, but I can tell you that even after the last patch and tinkering with the settings the cars still don't respond directly in Shift 1. Could be the input lag, could be also the base physics are just not very responsive. You do get used to it, but after playing GT you just couldn't go back. On PC they have mods that improved the handling, but no luck for consoles.

In terms of cruising, any open world game will do. Most of the NFS games are open world. Burnout Paradise is also good. FUEL has the biggest map of any racing game ever (14,000 sq km), but it's procedurally generated so a lot of people feel it's empty and boring. Personally, I think it makes it the most realistic open world map and the sense of freedom is just unparalleled.

Test Drive Unlimited on PS2 is considered a cult classic, though it looks too outdated for me when I tried to play it a few year ago. TDU2 on the PS3 has 2 islands so double the fun, but the driving physics sucks so much I'd avoid it. Not sure about wheel support for either.

If you make the jump to PC, there are plenty more options (ETS and Assetto with virtually unlimited mods). PS4 has The Crew, Xbox has Forza Horizon. But on PS2/3 that's pretty much it.

I believe Test Drive Unlimited for PS2 does not have wheel support. It's one of a number of games developed simultaneously for PS2 and PSP that doesn't have PS2 wheel support. It's the same for Outrun 2006, Burnout Dominator and Motorstorm Arctic Edge.

I'm very tempted to try TDU2 even with the dodgy physics. It apparently does have wheel support.

Does anyone know if Midnight Club L.A any good with a wheel? I wasn't very impressed with the wheel on MC3 Dub Remix on PS2, but it seems MCLA has more realistic physics which might make it more fun with a wheel.

Get the PC version of TDU before you get any version of TDU 2. It's old enough now that I can't imagine it wouldn't run no matter how bleh your computer is; and it does support a wheel.

Get the PC version of TDU before you get any version of TDU 2. It's old enough now that I can't imagine it wouldn't run no matter how bleh your computer is; and it does support a wheel.

I really don't have a PC that can do any kind of gaming. I think I will have to join the PC master race at some stage, maybe when my PS2 dies and I get one for emulation.

I get that PC is really the only option for serious sim racing, but I do love the plug and play nature of consoles, although they are becoming less and less like that.

VBR
Looks pretty good on the PS3, & has great sounds too. They even have reflections on the windscreen! Lots of aliasing though...

@Saidur_Ali @VBR Looking at the reviews for Ferrari Racing Legends, it looks like the difficulty curve for the game is pretty messed up, which means you can get locked out of content if you get stuck on a particular challenge.

Do you know if this issue was fixed with a patch, or did you not find it to be a problem at all?

Total Immersion Racing on ps2 I vaguely recall feeling pretty good on my DFP wheel.

Kaido Racer 2 also on Ps2 as well.

Ferrari Challenge/Supercar challenge was great.

Arcade wise, Sega Rally 2006, Blur, Outrun 2006.

Regarding Ferrari Challenge, is the any reason to get it over (or as well as) Supercar Challenge? It seems like Supercar Challenge is pretty much the same game but with addition content and some minor improvements.

Do you know if this issue was fixed with a patch, or did you not find it to be a problem at all?

I have no idea, never played it. Only found out about the game in this thread.

Regarding Ferrari Challenge, is the any reason to get it over (or as well as) Supercar Challenge? It seems like Supercar Challenge is pretty much the same game but with addition content and some minor improvements.

They are the same game. Ferrari Challenge is easier to find in shops. More cars in SCC.

@Saidur_Ali @VBR Looking at the reviews for Ferrari Racing Legends, it looks like the difficulty curve for the game is pretty messed up, which means you can get locked out of content if you get stuck on a particular challenge.

I didn't find the difficulty a problem, quite easy IIRC (Last time I played it was in 2014). Suppose it depends on how good you are at the game though.

I believe Test Drive Unlimited for PS2 does not have wheel support. It's one of a number of games developed simultaneously for PS2 and PSP that doesn't have PS2 wheel support. It's the same for Outrun 2006, Burnout Dominator and Motorstorm Arctic Edge.

I'm very tempted to try TDU2 even with the dodgy physics. It apparently does have wheel support.

Does anyone know if Midnight Club L.A any good with a wheel? I wasn't very impressed with the wheel on MC3 Dub Remix on PS2, but it seems MCLA has more realistic physics which might make it more fun with a wheel.

Yeah I referring to the PC version, sorry I forgot you're only into consoles. To be honest it's such an old game now any computer in the last 5 years should run it. When I tried it a couple years ago I was using my non-gaming Vista laptop from 2008 with only 2GB of RAM and it runs ok (albeit with all graphics settings to minimum :lol:).

MCLA has terrible physics IMO. It tries to be "realistic" with cars feeling heavy but then you have cars going around corners on 2 wheels so it's just a mess. I doubt it's any good with a wheel. It's one of only 2 games i returned to shop from the PS3 era (the other being Juiced 2). But the people who really like it seems to like it, so your tastes may vary.

They're essentially the same game. FC came out first and only had Ferraris. SC had a couple more supercars thrown in but the tracks/gameplay/etc is basically the same. Personally I'd get SC just because it's more complete and it doesn't have the weird reddish tint to its graphics that FC had.

Test Drive Ferrari used the same physics engine as Shift 2, so same issues with physics/input lag. I didn't get this game as well because of this.

Just thought of another one (which I think has PS3 wheel support - the HD version on PS4 did), which is Baja Edge of Control.

Do you think Baja is good to play using a wheel?

I'm not sure if I should get the PS3 version which I can use my wheel with, or the PS4 version which looks prettier and has a better framerate.

Here is a great site that might help:
http://members.home.nl/paul.schuurmans/gt/

I still play racing games on my PS2 with a Logitech DFGT. I've tried just about every racing game there is and here is what I play:

Rally: Richard Burns Rally - amazing rally simulation
Racing: TOCA Race Driver 3 - loads of tracks, big grids, damage, fuel, tyre temperature and wear, pit stops. Brilliant all round racer
Driving: Enthusia - best physics, excellent force feedback, but lacking all the racing features listed above for TOCA

Here is a great site that might help:
http://members.home.nl/paul.schuurmans/gt/

I still play racing games on my PS2 with a Logitech DFGT. I've tried just about every racing game there is and here is what I play:

Rally: Richard Burns Rally - amazing rally simulation
Racing: TOCA Race Driver 3 - loads of tracks, big grids, damage, fuel, tyre temperature and wear, pit stops. Brilliant all round racer
Driving: Enthusia - best physics, excellent force feedback, but lacking all the racing features listed above for TOCA

Thanks for the info. That link looks like a really good resource. I especially like the colour coded list in the 'Notes' section.

Back