Best Retail Auto Parts outlet

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jim Prower
  • 13 comments
  • 933 views

Jim Prower

The Big Blue Ford.
Premium
Messages
10,620
Messages
gtp_jimprower
Here's all I can think of. Just wondering which one you've had the best experience with
 
Retail? CARQUEST. The people there were really friendly. I haven't had any trouble at O'reilly either, but the friendly demeanor of the employees at carquest forced me to pick them over O'reilly.


But, if Summit and Jeg's were options in a different categotry, I'd say summit. They have more stuff to choose from, and they ship faster, and they give you free stuff too! (Although the yellow airbags that came with my shifter from JEG'S were pretty darn cool..:dopey:
 
I said other since i'm in Canada, and none of those, except for a few, have stores here.

Part Source in Canada is my favorite though, kind of like an Auto Zone I suppose, but what makes it great is the fact that they can get you pretty much whatever you want the same day, or the next morning. The even greater part about it is my friends dad owns the place and I get employee discount on everything. :sly:
 
We don't have many outlets in my town, and it's pretty much limited to an Advance Auto Parts, an Auto Zone, and a NAPA. I use Advance most often, I find their prices lower and selection higher than the AutoZone, not to mention friendlier service. I'm not sure why I don't use the NAPA. It's right at the end of my street, but it's also a Cub Cadet Dealer.
 
I have bought quite a few parts from Autozone. The parts are decent but the people working the service desks are always lacking anything in automotive knowledge. Dont bother asking them that they cant see on the computer right in front of their face. I wouldnt say they are the best I just go to them because usually they are the cheapest.
Advanced is about the same.
Napa is always way to expensive.
 
I'm a NAPA guy, so that was a pretty easy question. Their service is really good, IMO, and the extra price that some people talk about I really dont see. We have a big NAPA headquarters/warehouse here in Grand Rapids with a tool and die machine shop here with it, so it is a place we find ourselves at more than a couple times a year.

Auto Zone isnt too bad either, as I have one just around the corner from my house, but the problem is that they usually dont have what I'm looking for when it comes to parts, they usually have the baisic stuff like oil, filters, paint repair kits, etc. The only good thing is that their stuff is on sale, a lot, and they have a better selection of car-care (read, cleaning) stuff than most other places.

Other than that? Pep Boys I suppose, as they are pretty cheap as well. I've only been to the new one once, and it was nice and all, but it is on a bad side of town, one that I'm not too comfortable leaving my VW in at any point even if it is a 20-second run into the store...
 
My family and friends always goes to Lordco. Its a BC-based auto parts store, and they have everything, every day. Not a day when something was missing.
 
Super Autobacs: Car Life Superstore.

Retail parts chain that carries a large selection of performance and modification parts in addition to essentials. Knowledgable staff, composed mostly of enthusiasts, and a skilled service staff with an excellent work area. Pricing is competitive with other chains for "normal" products and accessories, slightly high on certain performance items, but the managers have a decent amount of pricing leeway. (I usually get my stuff for prices similar to what you'd pay online + shipping, as the manager of performance parts is a friend of mine) Also carries a huge number of accessories and parts that can't be found in any other retail outlet in the US, as well as a large selection of imported and domestic books, DVDs, models/toys, apparel, and other "lifestyle" items (lighters, phone straps, etc), which are also priced quite well (cheaper than the local Japanese bookstore for many books, DVDs, and magazines).
 
^^^ Arent those stores only located in California right now?
 
Takumi Fujiwara
Super Autobacs: Car Life Superstore.

Retail parts chain that carries a large selection of performance and modification parts in addition to essentials. Knowledgable staff, composed mostly of enthusiasts, and a skilled service staff with an excellent work area. Pricing is competitive with other chains for "normal" products and accessories, slightly high on certain performance items, but the managers have a decent amount of pricing leeway. (I usually get my stuff for prices similar to what you'd pay online + shipping, as the manager of performance parts is a friend of mine) Also carries a huge number of accessories and parts that can't be found in any other retail outlet in the US, as well as a large selection of imported and domestic books, DVDs, models/toys, apparel, and other "lifestyle" items (lighters, phone straps, etc), which are also priced quite well (cheaper than the local Japanese bookstore for many books, DVDs, and magazines).

Autobacs has a chain in America, now, huh?

I expect to see an AUTOBACS-red Camry in Nextel Cup, then...
 
Checker's is horrible.[/b] Not only do the clerks have no clue about the things they sell you, the computers are rarely right, either.

Checker's is only good for picking up oil and an oil filter, and other really simple things, but they don't deserve the business, IMO. :indiff:
 
Everytime I get a part from Autozone it doesn't last very long. I've bought 2 alternators for my old Camaro 1 rebuilt and 1 new and neither lasted more than 6 months. I buy OEM replacement parts from O'Reilly's because they seem to hire more knoledgable car guys and the parts just seem better quality. I've never had a part from O'Reilly's fail. Infact, I bought a rebuilt alternator for my old Camaro after all those problems with Autozone and to this day 7 years later it still works--granted my brother has the car now but the alternator still works. O'Reilly for teh win!
 
I get everything from the local Lordco store, mainly because I work there. Employee disounts rule.
 
Wolfe2x7
Checker's is horrible.[/b] Not only do the clerks have no clue about the things they sell you, the computers are rarely right, either.

Checker's is only good for picking up oil and an oil filter, and other really simple things, but they don't deserve the business, IMO. :indiff:


I used to work at a Kragen store, which is the same chain as Checker. (Also Schucks, hence the company name CSK) Terrible company, uncompetitive prices and selection, and abusive to their employees. I was the only clerk who was actually proficient in automotive matters, hence my already overwhelming workload was made even worse because other employees were always coming to me to answer any kind of question or problem.
 
Back