Best UI in video games?

I found this video about the subject:

Personally I love Detroit: Become Human UI. It goes really well with the game's theme.

Easily Race Driver:GRID and DiRT 2 top my list. Interacting and interweaving with the environments and set pieces is something so few games do and even fewer do it well. Dirt 3 was good but not as good as 2, same for Grid 2.

Some of my favourites include Metroid Prime (immersive visor HUD that greatly enhances the experience), Elite Dangerous (very immersive cockpit UI setup), F-Zero GX (the driver avatars alone make this a favourite), and Dead Space (need I say anything).

Easily Race Driver:GRID and DiRT 2 top my list. Interacting and interweaving with the environments and set pieces is something so few games do and even fewer do it well. Dirt 3 was good but not as good as 2, same for Grid 2.

Fully agreed 👍 I think the one of the main things that made those 2 games the best of their respective franchises are the menu designs. It's really immersive and makes you feel like part of that world. I think F1 2010 also had a similar setup with your motorhome and parc ferme, not sure with subsequent F1 games. Modnation Racers is another one - can't get more interactive than being able to drive around the menu lol.

Apart from those, being a racing game fan not much sticks out honestly. GT has always had that classy feel but in later games it gets a bit cluttered with a lot of little submenus and icons. Blur's menu had a very unique look and feel (not to mention the soundtrack), but UI wise it's not that special. Burnout Paradise and MW 2012 did great with EasyDrive and minimal menus, but I don't think that classifies as good UI...

GT Sport and to be honest any GT game throughout the generations.

Always loved the slick and in depth information about every car and track and all the little extra details like the year timeline on GTSport.

Sure it's not the most practical but it's still by far my favourite.

Back