Better Controller?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dusty1990
  • 33 comments
  • 2,336 views
Messages
306
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Messages
Kasabian1972
Can someone recommend a better controller than the genuine ps3 ones, I've been playing xbox so long I find it ridiculously small, after an hour of playing my hands ache! Its not even like I've got massive hands.

I've looked on Ebay and noticed theres a few PS3 controllers that look bigger but don't want to waste my money if they turn out to be ****e 👎
 
For GT5, try a DFGT, a wheel and pedals are the only way to play a driving sim 👍
 
I wouldn't waste my money on anything but the genuine DS3 even though it must feel odd after the XBOX controller. With a bit of button remapping you can get the same kind of controller experience even though the ergonomics are not identical.

A wheel would be the way to go but I realise that's quite an investment and if that's out of reach I'd stick with the DS3.
 
I have yet to see a 3rd party game pad for PS3 that wasn't trash compared to the DS3. Granted, I haven't tried out every single option, but I've played with a fairly wide variety of them.
 
thanks for your help, I'll try and get used to the DS3, can't be wasting money on much else atm.
 
Nice one, I may just pick up one of those, I like the look of the R1 buttons, the Ds3's don't hold your fingers like the Xbox controller.

👍

Be warned though, those controllers do not use a traditional rechargeable with USB battery, they use standard AA batteries which does suck greatly but I guess if you get some rechargeable ones then it's not too bad.
 
Be warned though, those controllers do not use a traditional rechargeable with USB battery, they use standard AA batteries which does suck greatly but I guess if you get some rechargeable ones then it's not too bad.


Yea, I've got at least 8 rechargables on the go.

Been looking at some reviews, they are all very conflicting so I'm none the wiser, lots of reports saying it doesn't connect to the ps3 very well. the wildfire2 is alot bigger than even the 360 one. only £20, maybe worth the risk.
 
Try those rubber grippy pads on the thumbsticks, they did wonders for my game and make it easier to be more precise with the sticks. May help with the achey breaky hands.
 
Amozon has a few DFGT wheels for $70(used, US Market). They are not the best wheel in the world, but give you a far better feel for whats happening in the game than the DS3.
 
I have one of these...http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007T8OM14/?tag=gtplanetuk-20.

Same shape size as xbox controller. Analogue triggers are a bit soft and have a little too much of a deadzone. I replaced the analogue trigger springs with springs from a pen and i also lessened the deadzone by inserting a small piece of plastic to the triggers. Very easy to do. It does not have a motion sensor, but i am so happy with this.
 
I have one of these...http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007T8OM14/?tag=gtplanetuk-20.

Same shape size as xbox controller. Analogue triggers are a bit soft and have a little too much of a deadzone. I replaced the analogue trigger springs with springs from a pen and i also lessened the deadzone by inserting a small piece of plastic to the triggers. Very easy to do. It does not have a motion sensor, but i am so happy with this.


Cheers, but I am too lazy to goto those measures to make a better controller :dopey:
 
It'll only take about 10 minutes. Take the back off, take out springs put new ones in.Very very easy. You won't be disappointed. I play PS3 a whole lot more now i have a decent controller.
 
It'll only take about 10 minutes. Take the back off, take out springs put new ones in.Very very easy. You won't be disappointed. I play PS3 a whole lot more now i have a decent controller.



going to have to do something, was playing last night for a few hours and now my right hand is aching, broke my right one a few years back and have a pin to keep one of the bones together, feels like its been stretched 👎
 
going to have to do something, was playing last night for a few hours and now my right hand is aching, broke my right one a few years back and have a pin to keep one of the bones together, feels like its been stretched 👎

Therefore softer analogue triggers might suit you better? i only altered mine so that they were exactly the same as the xbox. The controller only weighs 8oz, which is between what the PS3/xbox controller weighs.
 
Can someone recommend a better controller than the genuine ps3 ones, I've been playing xbox so long I find it ridiculously small, after an hour of playing my hands ache! Its not even like I've got massive hands.

I've looked on Ebay and noticed theres a few PS3 controllers that look bigger but don't want to waste my money if they turn out to be ****e 👎

For GT5, Get Logitech Driving Force GT (Beginner wheel, Cheap but still worth it) and for realistic feel get the Logitech G27 (Expensive, Worth every penny).
 
There are extenders for the ds3 L & R lower buttons you can get to stick on (cheap). I don't know if that's part of the issue though.

Some people I know, who use ds3 controllers, also have a tendency, while racing, to grip the ds3 like someone's trying to pry it out of their hands.
:lol: :boggled: :rolleyes: :lol: :crazy:

I think if you don't do this (I don't), it probably would alleviate the stress on the hands that's causing the pain.
Loosen up that grip a bit maybe?
Do a little relaxation exercise before gaming? :lol: :sly:

That said, I have VERY SMALL hands, so I'm probably not in a position to judge the size of a ds3.
But now upon thinking of it... it does seem odd that they don't come in different sizes, considering the size of human hands can vary quite a bit.

Still, I'm convinced that gripping the controller like for dear life in a death grip, is probably 99% of the problem for most who find the ds3 uncomfortable. :ouch:
 
There are extenders for the ds3 L & R lower buttons you can get to stick on (cheap). I don't know if that's part of the issue though.


thanks alot for that advice, I've just ordered :-


http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001AW156U/?tag=gtplanetuk-20



this was probably my biggest issue with the DS3, I couldn't get the feel of the R1 buttons, with forza I would use the ends of my finger tips (got a better feel for traction that way), with the ds3 my fingers would literally slip off after a time so I'd be using the pad part which I didn't like as much.



Hopefully this will end all of my problems, if not I'll have to buy one of those other controllers.


cheers 👍
 
they will make a big difference, i also had caps to go over the thumbsticks, and some grips that clip over the very short handles to make them larger and more comfortable.
 
Or just use a wired xbox controller and buy this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...eMKP-_-pla-_-PS3+Accessories-_-9SIA1NV0H05324

Alot cheaper than a new controller and the ps3 copies of xbox controllers are complete trash. With this you just use an xbox wired controller which you can pick up for 20 bucks, then plug it into this box and you're good to go.



Thats a cool bit of kit. I'd jump at it if it were wireless, I play a bit during the day and my 18month old would trip over or just pull the wire out within seconds....👎
 
thanks alot for that advice, I've just ordered :-


http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001AW156U/?tag=gtplanetuk-20



this was probably my biggest issue with the DS3, I couldn't get the feel of the R1 buttons, with forza I would use the ends of my finger tips (got a better feel for traction that way), with the ds3 my fingers would literally slip off after a time so I'd be using the pad part which I didn't like as much.



Hopefully this will end all of my problems, if not I'll have to buy one of those other controllers.


cheers 👍

Yep, that's what we have. I have seen them mentioned on this forum a lot, so I think that's a common issue.

Thats a cool bit of kit. I'd jump at it if it were wireless, I play a bit during the day and my 18month old would trip over or just pull the wire out within seconds....👎

I know what you mean... No 18mos olds here... Just me unlikely to remember a cord is there. :lol: :ouch:
I wish we had a cordless keyboard for the ps3. I've knocked that onto the floor too many times. :guilty:
 
djm99
they will make a big difference, i also had caps to go over the thumbsticks, and some grips that clip over the very short handles to make them larger and more comfortable.

You talking about the fpsfreak analoge sticks?? If you are that makes it gripper when your touching it.
 
Or just use a wired xbox controller and buy this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...eMKP-_-pla-_-PS3+Accessories-_-9SIA1NV0H05324

Alot cheaper than a new controller and the ps3 copies of xbox controllers are complete trash. With this you just use an xbox wired controller which you can pick up for 20 bucks, then plug it into this box and you're good to go.

This is what I use. The 360 controller is just a better controller for me. The triggers have a long throw and work very well for throttle and brake giving excellent control. Unfortunately the adapter I got has an issue with the right stick in that when the stick is pushed all the forward I only get about 80% of the throw. Probably a defective unit but I got it for only $13 shipped and I'm using the triggers so it's no biggie.

Sark

P.S. Another advantage of using the wired 360 controller is that I also use the exact same controller for my PC racing games (and other games too) so I don't have to get used to another controller and I'm able to switch over quickly with no issues.
 
This is also the case with the speedlink, it works wirelessly on PS3 as well as PC.
 
Dusty1990
Can someone recommend a better controller than the genuine ps3 ones, I've been playing xbox so long I find it ridiculously small, after an hour of playing my hands ache! Its not even like I've got massive hands.

I've looked on Ebay and noticed theres a few PS3 controllers that look bigger but don't want to waste my money if they turn out to be ****e 👎

I eventually settled on a DreamGear Shadow 6. I did this because Sony makes horrible controllers with uncomfortable, tiny, anti-ergonomic grips, convex triggers, goofy names for the face buttons, and retarded left stick placement. The DreamGear Shadow 6 fixes all of these except the goofy button names since you can't change them if games still reference Square/Octagon/Elephant/Wang. I think it's also of similar size to the 360 controller.
 
Last edited:
Did anybody suggest the HKS controller?
I'm using that one, and I love it! MUCH better steering, and also better throttle and brake control.
They tend to ewar out, but I don't care, I just buy a new one when the old one is getting tired.
 
Just got these :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000N3RBPQ/?tag=gtplanetuk-20

Instant transformation, highly recommend everybody tries them, gives you better feel and hold of the DS3.

Got the Turbo CROSS BATTLE XBOX 360 Controller Adapter on its way from china but not sure I'll even bother using it now, seeing it only works with a wired Xbox controller puts me off.
 
Back