Better off (sanity wise) not qualifying?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sagaben
  • 51 comments
  • 2,652 views
@MikeTheHockeyFan I think he may have been referring to Alsace Reverse.
1st corner is a very short run off the s/f straight into an uphill, off camber chicane.
Several lines in and one out.
Main advice is qualify, qualify, qualify! If someone goes to outbrake you there, they will tank the exit and/or uphill section. Brake early and undercut or get a run on them.
 
Try waiting out the other drivers in qualifying. Usually I wait for around 45 seconds to 1 minute so that I have pretty much all the space I need to set a hot lap. Some people don't like doing this because it's basically one potentual qualifying lap lost to them, but for me 3-4 laps by yourself is MUCH better than 5-6 laps with everyone else :)
 
@MikeTheHockeyFan I think he may have been referring to Alsace Reverse.
1st corner is a very short run off the s/f straight into an uphill, off camber chicane.
Several lines in and one out.
Main advice is qualify, qualify, qualify! If someone goes to outbrake you there, they will tank the exit and/or uphill section. Brake early and undercut or get a run on them.

Yes Alsace reverse. A fast turn 1/2 means braking early-ish for turn 1 (not counting the kink), then hugging the inside to set up for a wide entry into turn 2. What tends to happen is people outbrake themselves into turn 1, go wide then hit you up the inside of turn 2. Turn 4 is problematic also as it needs a wide entry to apex late and exit fast so of course people will see the gap and fire up the inside with no hope of making the corner.
 
Try waiting out the other drivers in qualifying. Usually I wait for around 45 seconds to 1 minute so that I have pretty much all the space I need to set a hot lap. Some people don't like doing this because it's basically one potentual qualifying lap lost to them, but for me 3-4 laps by yourself is MUCH better than 5-6 laps with everyone else :)

Is that in the FIA championship races? Normal daily races have lone qualifying.
 
Today on Alsace I've been having fun working on qualifying, even got one pole. Problem is without exception I get divebombed into oblivion until I'm 10th or thereabouts. If I resort to a super defensive line I get rear-ended instead. Starting to think I should not bother. My SR has taken an absolute spanking - high A to low B - just from people hitting me (at least that's what it feels like). It's doing my nut!

I think the problem, is Alsace and your SR.
A lot of the newer tracks are kind of poor for racing. They offer few lines and difficult over-taking spots.
High A might as well mean nothing too, the only difference I've found was when I hit SR-S (99). Then I knew that I could drive without being wiped out by idiots and that any contact would be accidental.

If I where you, in SR-B I would forgo qualifying and just race from the back, picking up places as people fall off and avoid tracks like Alsace. You'll get your SR up to S pretty quickly and then it's not too difficult to slowly get back into qualifying and get SR-S(99). I feel it's then that the game will change for you, as it did for me and a number of other users on here.
 
I have never raced an SR race, but do race a lot on Blue Moon Bay, and I swear to sweet mother of Jesus that people DO NOT know how to go into that first turn. Someone will always screw it up in that corner, and half the field always goes spinning like a top!!!!!!
 
I think it depends on the race. For the one-make VW races yesterday, I had better results with an average quali lap placing me towards the back - I guess because the performance is even, people tend to get their elbows out and you can gain a lot of position just from the errors that get made ahead of you. Once I improved my time and qualified in the top 5, I was getting caught up in everyone else's accidents and the jostling for position and lost a bunch of SR points.

Clean racing needs the other players to also play fairly - in those VW races there were a number of times that I was going into the final chicane in close proximity to others and it just caused chaos - if I yield the line to another car, the car behind doesn't read it and hits me. If I go side-by side, I got muscled out and pushed across the grass/into the wall and even when I'm slightly ahead, nobody else seemed to recognise that they'd lost the corner and should just tuck in behind.

There's a do-or-die mentality in these one-make races I find. In the "normal" races, there's no doubt IMO that a higher starting position helps.
 
I have never raced an SR race, but do race a lot on Blue Moon Bay, and I swear to sweet mother of Jesus that people DO NOT know how to go into that first turn. Someone will always screw it up in that corner, and half the field always goes spinning like a top!!!!!!
I stay far away from the ovals lol
 
I think it depends on the race. For the one-make VW races yesterday, I had better results with an average quali lap placing me towards the back - I guess because the performance is even, people tend to get their elbows out and you can gain a lot of position just from the errors that get made ahead of you. Once I improved my time and qualified in the top 5, I was getting caught up in everyone else's accidents and the jostling for position and lost a bunch of SR points.

Clean racing needs the other players to also play fairly - in those VW races there were a number of times that I was going into the final chicane in close proximity to others and it just caused chaos - if I yield the line to another car, the car behind doesn't read it and hits me. If I go side-by side, I got muscled out and pushed across the grass/into the wall and even when I'm slightly ahead, nobody else seemed to recognise that they'd lost the corner and should just tuck in behind.

There's a do-or-die mentality in these one-make races I find. In the "normal" races, there's no doubt IMO that a higher starting position helps.

Maybe some people need to actually take the time and watch some real GT style races on t.v., or YouTube it. I personally got the bug from watching MotoGP (I know it's motorcycles) back in the day which eventually lead to GT style races.

I guess my point is by the time I got my hands on GT1 I understood how important the braking points, drafts, and racing etiquette really means to racing.

I know, I know...easier said than done lol.
 
Qyn
Maybe some people need to actually take the time and watch some real GT style races on t.v., or YouTube it. I personally got the bug from watching MotoGP (I know it's motorcycles) back in the day which eventually lead to GT style races.

I guess my point is by the time I got my hands on GT1 I understood how important the braking points, drafts, and racing etiquette really means to racing.

I know, I know...easier said than done lol.
Or some openwheel racing where contact often results in a dnf.
 
Is that in the FIA championship races? Normal daily races have lone qualifying.
Yeah the FIA championship races

Oh wait... So you're not talking about getting divebombed while in qualifying? Sorry mate, misread it :(
 
I also find that taking a defensive line into T1 along with braking late also dissuades people from bombing.
 
I did a few Alsece Gr4 races tonight, first one was a semi-disaster (still finished 5th), it tanked my SR S down to A because of a Mustang repeatedly braking too early causing me to ram him multiple times, then getting rammed from side and back by other cars. First time I ever fell out of SR S.
This is really the quagmire, do you approach the corner and the guy in front of you gingerly, in the expectation of an early brake point? And risk doing the same to the guy behind you, or do you brake with the assumption that the guy in front is compatible in braking to you.
Oh the excitement and quite a mixed bag! Fun none the less, over all.
 
I also find that taking a defensive line into T1 along with braking late also dissuades people from bombing.
That's when it usually happens to me lol.
 
That Alsace Reverse is a real 'Bee Eye Tea Sea Aitch', I qualified on pole which surprised the crap out of me, on starting the race I didn't change up gears quick enough and I accidentally braked in my panic causing a 5 vehicle mash up on that corner(sorry if anyone here was that race). In the melee of trying to correct myself - 3 other cars hit me (or rather I caused them to hit me), but when I eventually got going (now in 11th place) I didn't receive a penalty and my SR went up, the next laps my SR kept on going up as I passed car after car and eventually finishing 2nd and 8 seconds behind the winner. The completion screen showed the red dot on almost all vehicles except mine and the winner. I've forgotten the point of this post..........oh yes braking
 
I don't usually bother with setting a 'qualifying' lap for the dailies, I like to start from the back and see how it goes.

FIA races on the other hand....
 
Hmm in the back is where i have the most troubles in S rating.....

But people are alway and everywhere to spoil it for others and the said thing is it is just normal these days in life.
 
If it's reverse Alsace then everyone has a different breaking point there because the cones aren't clear enough about it. So my advice is to press break lightly a bit before so the racer behind you can see the lights and that should make him break as well. If you just slam breaks on your breaking point, the guy behind you might not have time to react because he doesn't know where is your breaking point.
 
Qyn
That would definitely keep the riff raff from touching lol.
I've raced the Formula Renault 2.0 allot on iRacing. Openwheelers are very good for teaching racecraft cause any contact would most likely destroy your race. So you really need to avoid contact at all times. If GTS had a full damage openwheel race it would not end well for allot of people i think lol.
 
This is really the quagmire, do you approach the corner and the guy in front of you gingerly, in the expectation of an early brake point? And risk doing the same to the guy behind you, or do you brake with the assumption that the guy in front is compatible in braking to you.
Oh the excitement and quite a mixed bag! Fun none the less, over all.
I'm usually good at driving behind others with avoiding contact, I do it a lot in iRacing, rFactor and AC too. The Mustang was a bit unpredictable, for eg T2/T3 of Alsece reverse, he started hitting the brakes at the top of the hill (just under the Dunlop tire)... I mean come on... I assumed he didn't practice the Alsece reverse enough, it took me a while to re-learn it again myself although I have done Alsece reverse before but it took time to remember it again.
 
I did a lot of races without qualifying.
I opted for this method until I turned B/S after get rammed every race when I qualified on the first 3 places, specially on tracks like Interlagos, Lago Maggiori, Dragon Trail, etc where low ranking players don’t know how to approach those first turns with other drivers around...
On those races I didn’t qualify, mainly Race B and Race C (from the start I decided to avoid Race A), I set my goals to finish on the top 10 and as clean as possible.
Had a lot of nice races and some I even won with the fastes lap (check my YouTube)
After turning B/S things got different and decided to qualify.
I’m now A/S and having tons of fun....
 
Back