Better than the Minolta?

• Thread starter brekehan
  • 30 comments
I see some race cars in the used dealer once in awhile that look intriguing, but at 5 mil or so a pop, I am scared to buy them. I want something better than the Minolta I currently drive.

In your opinion, what cars have you driven that are better performance than the Minolta?

The Vertigo?
The Escur(spelling) dirt car? Is it good on pavement?
The Toyota GT1 Race car?
etc.?

You may choose to buy: Bentley Speed 8, Audi R8 LMP, Toyota GT-One. These three are fast; R8 has superior fuel economy & tire usages, the other two are faster but I don't know their performance in GT5 yet.

McLaren C9 is very fast, but in GT4 it has poor fuel economy & tire usages, and some handling issues. It should be mostly the same in GT5. A good car for non-Endurance races.

MINOLTA 88C-V is similar to C9 but with better handling, not good for Endurance as you have to pit a lot more times than other LMPs.

The vertigo and the Toyota one where pretty good cars in previouse GT games.

But I doubt if they are better then the minolta.

Apart from the x1 and the formula gt, there is nothing significantly better than the Toyota minolta, same may say this one or that one, but considering its a prize car, this makes it better in my opinion. There is nothing apart from the aforementioned cars, worth a 5 million credit spend.

The Audi R8/R10 get better gas mileage and tire wear, the 787B handles better imo, but I agree with Sidsid, unless you have a ******** of money to burn its not really worth it.

in my opinion
1.mazda 787 race car (since its very light compared to the others)
2.bently race car (in GT 4 i was able to hit around 500KPH without left glitch)
3.toyota GT one race car (Very fast)

It's more a matter of personal preference. I found the Nissan R89C and R92CP race cars much more comfortable to drive than the Minolta on GT4 (I could lap most tracks better with the Nissans), and that is proving to be the case on GT5 as well.

I have the Minolta on GT5 (and have had it for quite some time) but I've barely driven it.

You may choose to buy: Bentley Speed 8, Audi R8 LMP, Toyota GT-One. These three are fast; R8 has superior fuel economy & tire usages, the other two are faster but I don't know their performance in GT5 yet.

McLaren C9 is very fast, but in GT4 it has poor fuel economy & tire usages, and some handling issues. It should be mostly the same in GT5. A good car for non-Endurance races.

MINOLTA 88C-V is similar to C9 but with better handling, not good for Endurance as you have to pit a lot more times than other LMPs.

It's Sauber Mercedes C9. . .

It depends on what you mean by "better" The Audi R8 drives great and does very good between pit stops.

The Minolta however is pretty much top dog when it comes to speed in the LMP cars. The Vertigo is not in the same league as the Minolta. The Sauber is close as is the 92CP Nissan.

Definately, it's a matter of taste and driving style..

I have most of the Le Mans cars and there isn't really one that does everything the best.

Also, there's not a huge amount of difference between speed for the Le Mans cars (Group C and LMP), for example, however, there is a huge amount of difference in speed between a DTM or JGTC car and a Le Mans car.

Yes, for certain tracks, one car might lap one track 2-3 seconds faster, but do a longer race and the slower car might have better tyre wear or fuel consumption. One car has great grip, another has better power to weight ratio, another has better handling, another has better aerodynamics.

These cars are expensive, so pick the one that makes you want to drive it, the one that makes you go ''....oh yeh...I like that...''.

BUT if it's value for money you are after, the Toyota Minolta wins easily, as mentioned above - it's free.

I've started to acrue an abundance of money, so value isn't important. I'd say handling is priority #1. A car that can take corners faster and can still go at least 225 mph.

I just won the Ford GT Spec II and it handles better, but it's speed blows too much worse.

I see some race cars in the used dealer once in awhile that look intriguing, but at 5 mil or so a pop, I am scared to buy them. I want something better than the Minolta I currently drive.

In your opinion, what cars have you driven that are better performance than the Minolta?

The Vertigo?
The Escur(spelling) dirt car? Is it good on pavement?
The Toyota GT1 Race car?
etc.?

Did this post just come from the past? Some sort of time machine? No?
Posted some 10 years ago but lost in the eternity of the WWW and somehow managed to resurrect here?
Because back in the GT3 times, the Escudo and the GT1 rocked everything else available.
One thing for sure, the Escudo sucks... now, in 2010, the Vertigo has got a lot of hp but it can't make use of it, it's a GT2 car full stop, and there are faster closed LMP prototyps now then the good looking 1999 GT1, like Bentley Speed 8 or 905 and the even better lokking 908 (premium :sly: ).

Would anyone recommend the Peugeot 905 Race Car? I've heard it's quite quick.

Strong brakes and great handling and stability, but it lacks of acceleration and top speed, so I wouldn't reccomend it, at least not to substitute the minolta.
Instead, you might consider to buy a Nissan R92 CP, a Mazda 787B or a Sauber C9; also Jaguar XJR9 and Nissan R89C are great alternatives.

But since you are playing GT5 you would buy a premium car. I bought a Peugeot 908 HDI, it has less stability (due to high torque) and traction, so you'll need to moderate the acceleration, but good handling and top speed. Winning races with a Peugeot is not as easy as doing it with Group C cars, but you will enjoy it much more. Think that I won the Indianapolis 500 miles endurance race with just 26 seconds of gap, because I spun and made some accidents! It lasted 2 hours and a half, but that was my least boring endurance race ever.

Last edited:
That Vertigo is crap, don't waste your money. I bought one last night and it handles like a Veyron. Maybe with some tuning you could get something out of it, but if that's your starting point, there only so much you can do.

I'm absolutely loving my Nissan R89C Race Car '89 though. I'd say it's at least as good as the Minolta. I used it to win the Dream Car Championship fairly easily.

I've started to acrue an abundance of money, so value isn't important. I'd say handling is priority #1. A car that can take corners faster and can still go at least 225 mph.

I just won the Ford GT Spec II and it handles better, but it's speed blows too much worse.

The FGT. hits 225 with ease very quickly and handles better than any car in the game save the X1 and maybe the other 2 F1s

i prefer the CLK you get for golding the amg special events, not quite as fast as the minolta in a straight line, but goes round the burg 5 ish seconds faster

The Vertigo is rubbish. Don't get it.

The Escudo has breakneck acceleration, but hasn't got particularly good handling and isn't that good at the top end to begin with.

The GT-One is fast enough, but in terms of the LMP/Group C speed range it's at the lower end.

A 787B is a very good choice, as are the Nissans R98C and R92CP. The Pescarolo's are a nice choice too and the Peugeot 908's are fast as well.

I have both the 905 and 908 and, for me, the 905 is faster and more fun to drive than the 908. The 905 is a touch faster than the Minolta, but both are fun to drive. This is comparing them at Suzuka.

When you look at the front of the 905, the cockpit is really low. The view with the large rear view mirror on top is also low to the ground and it makes the car feel wicked fast.

I like my vertigo tho, considering it's just half of the price for a R92... etc, sure It's a tough matchup against other group c but it's not that bad in my opinion

Purchase, earn, or use GE to get a free Sauber or even any of the below photos. The Sauber is my personal fav and imho better than the Minolta which "never" ran at the Le Mans 24 anyway. However, the Sauber wasn't made a premium car until GT6 so it's drawback is that it is a standard just like the Minolta. If you insist on a premium go with one of the below photos. I'd then would suggest the Jag or one of the 908's.

Audi R10 TDI Race Car '06.jpg
Ferrari 330 P4 Race Car '67.jpg
Ford Mark IV Race Car '67.jpg
Jaguar XJ13 Race Car '66.jpg
Jaguar XJR-9 LM Race Car '88.jpg
Mazda 787B Race car '91.jpg
Peugeot 908 HDI FAP - Team Oreca Matmut '10.jpg
Peugeot 908 HDI FAP - Team Peugeot Total '10.jpg

Yes, the 905 is definitely the preferred LMP car, IMHO. Due to its very light weight, it accelerates faster and has better fuel fuel mileage and better tire wear, which are all significant factors in the endurance races in which which tire wear and fuel mileage matter.

Back