Big News: Indy Racing League cars & tracks in GT5

I didnt say theyre equal, or faster than an F1 car, i just said "dont under estimate their speed". Because theyre not "one of the slower open wheel classes", but one of the fastest.

They're pretty fast around an oval, but compared to an F1 car on a road course there is no comparison. An IRL car weighs more, has less horsepower and has dinosaur aero and suspension compared to a modern F1 car.

The aero on a modern F1 car is driven by rules, not what has found to be best. Yes, teams spend a LOT of money wind tunnel testing to find what is best within those rules, but its still rules driven and not what is best. A wider rear wing would produce less drag, there's a couple of things you could do to the underbody and front wing that'd make them produce more downforce at very little extra drag and they've gotten rid of all the little vortex generators over the car too.

In terms of top speed in race conditions, no other open wheel car in the world is faster than an IndyCar.

As for the IndyCars in GT5, I hope PD will include all 3 wing configurations for IndyCars, and all of the drivers' paint schemes. I'd also love to race past IndyCars.

The 3 rear wing configurations: http://www.indycar.com/tech/wings.php

indycar-2009-ind-as-0356.jpg

Graham Rahal @ Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Indy 500 wing configuration: Single element front wing, single element rear wing.

indycar-2009-hom-lb-0031.jpg

Dario Franchitti @ Homestead-Miami Speedway. 1.5 - 2.0 mile oval wing configuration: Single element front wing, double element rear wing.

indycar-2008-sp-ga-0014.jpg

Graham Rahal @ St. Petersburg. Short oval & road/street course wing configuration: Double element front wing, triple element rear wing.

How fast are they?
At the end of the staraightaways at Indy, they're racing at over 230 MPH. Past IndyCars raced at over 250 MPH at the end of the staraightaways at Indy. Costs, safety concerns, and the danger of drivers blacking out from sustained high G-forces on high banked ovals (as CART found out at Texas Motor Speedway in 2001) forced CART/CC/IRL to slow the cars down.

Holy hell.

Do these things stop with little effort like an F1 vehicle, if they do, I can only imagine the pressure that's placed on your neck, let alone your entire body.

In terms of top speed in race conditions, no other open wheel car in the world is faster than an IndyCar.

*snip*

Yeah, bigger wings and more elements equals more downforce and more drag. Hence why aircraft extend flaps at low speed while landing.

Goes back to what I was saying earlier, top speed is pretty heavily aero based, and F1 cars just aren't designed for the top end. Increase the aspect ratio of an F1 rear wing and cut them down in chord length and angle of attack and the F1 car would more than likely go a lot faster. Its just a tuning thing, you tune the aero for the downforce you want at the speed you plan on racing.

Indy cars probably dont produce much less downforce if you average it out over a whole lap, they're just tuned to produce their downforce at a different speed.

I didnt say theyre equal, or faster than an F1 car, i just said "dont under estimate their speed". Because theyre not "one of the slower open wheel classes", but one of the fastest.

I see. I should have worded what I said differently.

IRL cars are only slow when compared to F1. The cars are inherently slower then F1 as they have to be able to race on ovals. Racing a lightweight F1 car on a high speed oval would be very unsafe.

MidOhio qualifying times

IRL pole - 1'06.6
ALMS pole - 1'09.4
By an Acura ARX-02a , Turbo diesels of Peugeot and Audi are 1 - 2 seconds a lap faster, but the IRL car still has them covered

Wolfracer543
The aero on a modern F1 car is driven by rules, not what has found to be best. Yes, teams spend a LOT of money wind tunnel testing to find what is best within those rules, but its still rules driven and not what is best. A wider rear wing would produce less drag, there's a couple of things you could do to the underbody and front wing that'd make them produce more downforce at very little extra drag and they've gotten rid of all the little vortex generators over the car too.

All I know is that the IRL car has remained stagnate for some time now, maybe as much as a decade it has not evolved much

There is a video of a F1 car racing a IRL car at twin ring motegi, but I cant find it.

I'm very excited to see indycar, I love comparisons between race series, in my eyes, the more the better.

All I know is that the IRL car has remained stagnate for some time now, maybe as much as a decade it has not evolved much.

The main reason F1 aero keeps changing and "evolving" is because the rules keep changing and evolving. The aero rules before 09 were really complicated, you could have certain vortex generators of a certain size in a particular box, etc etc. Then they wiped it and drastically changed the sizing and positioning rules of the wings and vortex generators.

But the reason F1 aero changes is because the rules change, then the teams with lots of money adapt their cars to be best within those rules. If the rules didn't change, within a couple of years the aero would probably hit some optimal level and not change except for minor details.

Holy hell, that was awesome. I so want to do that now. Anyone up for a F1 vs Indy race? :D

How about a championship? With a mix of oval, street and F1 circuit races? :sly: Or would it be considered a heresy to have Indycars at Monaco and F1 at the Indy 500? :P
It would be like the old days.

How about a championship? With a mix of oval, street and F1 circuit races? :sly: Or would it be considered a heresy to have Indycars at Monaco and F1 at the Indy 500? :P.

A championship? I'd love that. It'd be considered Badass to me:D

Everything is possible with private rooms online. ;)

You are right about that. But what I want is an onine championship with the points being kept, and visible online.

All this talk about how PD has a new building strictly for online got me thinking maybe they will sit and watch championship races and sort of act like stewards... on the other side of the world. What a cool idea!

yes indy cars more competitive than F1 cars.F1 rules very staff .It makes F1 boring...İ will be play Nascar for the first time in History.lol. It seems fun and challengng.Kazu discovered to America again.

on an oval indy is faster but on a normal track it has not a chance...

I dont't know if you watched that video, but it shows the F1 car blow by the indy car in 1 lap.

Pause the video at 1:16 and you will see the two cars very well. If it was a 300mile race, the Indy car would be lapped several times is my guess. It seemed like the point of the video, or exhibition, was to show how long it would take for the F1 car to prevail. Well, it took a not very long :lol: I could be wrong though.

I dont't know if you watched that video, but it shows the F1 car blow by the indy car in 1 lap.

Pause the video at 1:16 and you will see the two cars very well. If it was a 300mile race, the Indy car would be lapped several times is my guess. It seemed like the point of the video, or exhibition, was to show how long it would take for the F1 car to prevail. Well, it took a not very long :lol: I could be wrong though.

Yes , i saw that now ;)

Last edited:

So it shows that in a short run, the F1 car had a higher top-speed. We know nothing about the car setups, and in a 300 mile race, the F1 car would not last the distance beause the engines are not desigend to be driven at almost full throttle for long periods. Indy car engines are.

So it shows that in a short run, the F1 car had a higher top-speed. We know nothing about the car setups, and in a 300 mile race, the F1 car would not last the distance beause the engines are not desigend to be driven at almost full throttle for long periods. Indy car engines are.

You are right but you are wrong if you think that Nascar and Indy is only full throttle, run in ovals doesn`t means full throttle

F1 cars prefer full throttle for the cooling, the old hockenheim had much of the track at full throttle so they could get away with smaller sidepods and radiators although that caused a lot of engine blow outs just after pit stops because of lack of cooling when stationary.

Up until a few years ago the cars wouldn't have lasted a 300 mile race, they were built to last one F1 race mostly under 200 miles but with rule changes the engines and gearboxes now have to last several races.

This thread really shouldn't turn into an indy Vs F1 contest. If can discuss the real pros and cons of Indy's inclusion that would be good.

Back