Bikes in GT Concept?

• Thread starter Ringo
  • 35 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

While browsing through the contents of the Tokyo-Geneva disc, I found a bike directory with several .mdl-files (see screenshot below). Two of these .mdl-files are particulary interesting as they have "cbr600f4i" (Honda) and "yzr500" (Yamaha) in their file names. I tried to view these files using Half-Life Model Viewer but it didn't work. Perhaps someone else has a better .mdl-viewer? Anyone know anything more about this? Would be interesting to know..

gtcbikes.gif

Bikes were being tested in the making of GT4, so it wouldn't be surprising to see them in the next GT.

Although i feel it defeats the purpose of an automotive enthusiast's game.

Giancarlo
Bikes were being tested in the making of GT4, so it wouldn't be surprising to see them in the next GT.

Although i feel it defeats the purpose of an automotive enthusiast's game.
Actually, I like the sound of bikes in it.

Although, pitting would seem wierd, it would be cool to simulate bikes. How many games simulate bikes these days?

McLaren F1GTR
Actually, I like the sound of bikes in it.

Although, pitting would seem wierd, it would be cool to simulate bikes. How many games simulate bikes these days?

And how many cars in GT4/GT5 can/will keep up with the bikes?

I doubt most of the cars you race with will beat a bike.You would only be able to implement them if you only made them show up in their own special Racing Hall or Series.

All the GT300, GT500 and similar or faster race cars and most of the supercars will beat a bike round you're average circuit. This was proven on Fith gear last year.

McLaren: Only two that I know of.. Riding Spirits and its sequel (both for PS2). They are basically Gran Turismo rip-offs but very poorly executed. So yeah, I hope Polyphony will develop a bike game sometime in the future.

MachOne
And how many cars in GT4/GT5 can/will keep up with the bikes?

I doubt most of the cars you race with will beat a bike.You would only be able to implement them if you only made them show up in their own special Racing Hall or Series.
So?

A lot of cars are faster than bikes.
Who said the bikes had to be the big fast models like the Hayabusa?

on Fifth Gear they had a Ducati 999 versus a Lambo Gallardo....the bike won. :) Not bad for shelling out 10 times LESS in cash. :)

It was actually really interesting, twisty track and you could see all the advantages/disadvantages both forms of transport had. The bike shot off to the lead due to it's mega acceleration (even with the tiny contact patch), but you could see where the car caught up on the brakes and cornered faster, but out of the corners the Duke destroyed the Gallardo.

Adding Bikes to GT5 (or preferably having a separate game) would be amazing. I say preferably a separate game becuase Bikes would VASTLY upset the balance of the game...why spend 10k on a crappy starter car, when it could get you an immediate 170 mph machine!

It'd have to be a seperate game, a seperate physics engine and two different levels of balance. Anyhow, this has been discussed at lenth before and theres a few good threads about it in the GT4 forums back when rumours were rife bikes would be in.

robbo6
on Fifth Gear they had a Ducati 999 versus a Lambo Gallardo....the bike won. :) Not bad for shelling out 10 times LESS in cash. :)

It was actually really interesting, twisty track and you could see all the advantages/disadvantages both forms of transport had. The bike shot off to the lead due to it's mega acceleration (even with the tiny contact patch), but you could see where the car caught up on the brakes and cornered faster, but out of the corners the Duke destroyed the Gallardo.

Adding Bikes to GT5 (or preferably having a separate game) would be amazing. I say preferably a separate game becuase Bikes would VASTLY upset the balance of the game...why spend 10k on a crappy starter car, when it could get you an immediate 170 mph machine!

The Ducatti did indeed win, but by (if my memory serves me) about half a second. However I would question the fairness of the comparison, you see a Gallardo has a power to weight Ratio of 330bhp per tonne, while the 999 has a one of 660bhp per tonne. A Caterham R500 may have been a better match, with 507bhp per tonne is closer on power to weight and the cost difference is reduced; you could also argue that the R500 and 999 are about as impractical as each other.

It was however a very interesting test, but one that brought to the fore the advantages/disadvantages of each; however the main factor in any bike vs. car test is almost always the track. Anglesey is a good compromise for both; Nurburgring would always favour a car, while somewhere like Tsukuba would favour bikes (it was originally built as a bike track after all).

Also we all know that theres plenty of cars that could lap that track by more than half a second faster than the Gallardo. And yes the track may be the biggest point in deciding the winner in a car v bike test.

Imagine if you could knock the riders off in GT5?(if it had bikes)

If they do include bike and allow you to race them with cars it might as well be called Midnight club. Th Hyabusa hit's over 200Mph without the limiter, otherwise it tops out at 186Mph.

Why is everyone worrying about which cars would beat the bikes? If they did put bikes in the game they'd make seperate races specific to the bikes. I've recently started taking interest in motorbikes so I reckon it would be a fun feature for vision gt. Interesting post RINGO, well spotted.

Only it would either have poor physics, or it would compromise the physics for the cars, you see to get an accurate simulation ofor bikes requires a different set of variables to the cars, combining both sets would have a negative effect on both, alterring one set to accomodate the other would result in one of the two being below par. Personally I think it's a **** idea even if the problems could be overcome, GT is about cars and only cars, even the name Gran Turismo is about cars and not bikes. If PD used GT5 development time to include bikes and work on an new physics engine to run alongside the car one I would be annoyed when theres so much more they can do to improve whats already there, theres so much that needs improving.

As for the GSXR1000 I believe it is a faster bike than the Hyabusa however it's limited to a lower speed than the Hyabusa's limiter. Even though the Hyabusa has a bigger engine the 100 isn't far off power wise, it's also lighter.

I6-4-eva
Nah the Busa has the more powerful engine. 1300cc>1000cc
I hope your not serious.
Suzuki Hayabusa GSXR1300
Weight: 485 lbs
Power: 150WHP
Rev Limiter: 11,000 RPM
Power to Weight Ratio: 3.23 lbs/HP or .30 HP/lb

Suzuki GSXR1000
Weight: 374 lbs
Power: 141WHP
Rev Limiter: 12,600 RPM
Power to Weight Ratio: 2.65 lbs/HP or .37 HP/lb

Power to Weight Ratio is everything on a bike.

scaff
on Fifth Gear they had a Ducati 999 versus a Lambo Gallardo....the bike won.

they did the same thing on top gear but with a super bike and the maclaren f1 car, and the mclaren won. the bike shot off, but once the f1 was up to speed, it creamed the bike and left it standing!

ZAGGIN
they did the same thing on top gear but with a super bike and the maclaren f1 car, and the mclaren won. the bike shot off, but once the f1 was up to speed, it creamed the bike and left it standing!

That was a couple years ago and it was a 2-stroke GP bike, not a superbike.

Modern 4-stroke GP bikes typically top out at over 215mph at tracks like Mugello and Catalunya just like the F1 cars so these days the only limiting factor between a GP bike and an F1 car is corner speed. 2 tires against 4 there is no contest once the turns begin.

As far as putting bikes in the GT series...don't do it. Make a completely separate game. We need more bike games anyway. :)

Check out TT Superbikes for the PS2 (only PAL version for now). It is enjoying great reviews by gamers. Jester forum

The rumor mill has bike physics possibly coming in rFactor and Racing Legends for the PC. Even if the rFactor rumors have no backup it would be a very great thing indeed if they put them in. The Racing Legends bit is a fact based on thier webpage....but that has not been updated since 2003 so not sure if we'll ever see the light at the end of that tunnel.
Only good bike games out now are TT Superbikes for the PS2 (based on what i've read), SBK 2000 and 2001 and GP500.

Pray to the god of bike games to bring us a new [good] one. :bowdown:

I think, I remember an similar test by either Road & Track or Car and Driver, while back.

It was some sort of sportbike(Yamaha or Honda, I think) vs. the Viper. Bike was far quicker, but lost to Viper on the cornering around the track, if I remember correctly.

I'd love to see bikes in GT...... until you get hit by a Viper on a hairpin. :D

In a straight line it could whoop any road car or bike, when you hit a corner you may have to stop, disembark, and drag it round though :lol:.

Why not?
Before I got a proper controller for playing bike games i used to use my wheel. Sure, it felt all wrong but it can be used and you could get used to it after a while I suppose.
Thrustmaster makes a PS2/PC handlbar controller anyway.

Riding spirits wasn't a bad game. But the sounds were absolutely rubbish. All types were the same ,ie the 'chopper' , the superbikes ,the 500cc etc. etc.

So if they would add bikes in the next GT , it would be a massive increase of ... everything. Maybe the PS3 can handle that.
MAYBE , they should start making the sounds better on the next GT , and let go of the bike idea. Throw it in another game , like some other proposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back