BMW 2-Series & M2

AudiMan2011

Scottish
Contributing Writer
Scotland
GTPlanet
Street-King-07
Quattro Saltire
BMW's 1-Series Coupe replacement set to be called the 2-Series. Leaked magazine pictures show the 220d.

bmw-220d-coupe-on-magazine-spied-1.jpg

bmw-220d-coupe-on-magazine-spied-5.jpg

bmw-220d-coupe-on-magazine-spied-6.jpg

Autocar
New pictures of the BMW 2-series coupé have leaked online.

These new images show the production-ready 220d, in beige paint and reportedly riding on wheels belonging to BMW's Urban pack. Other options include Sport and Comfort packages.

The 220d coupé is powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged diesel engine producing 181bhp and 280lb ft. The car can cover the 0-62mph sprint in 7.1sec, rising to 7.2sec for the automatic version. Top speed is 143mph.

The 220d is one of the cleanest models in the 2-series range, returning a claimed 63mpg on the combined cycle and emitting 119g/km of CO2. It has a kerb weight of 1375kg.

Other models set to launch as part of the initial 2-series line-up include the 220i coupé and the performance-based M235i coupé – pictures of which have already leaked online following a dealer presentation.

The range topping M235i was also leaked.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Autocar
Pictures of the new BMW M235i have been leaked online, revealing the car in full.

The images, which are claimed to be official BMW shots, appear to show the final production version of the the M235i.

Previously, images were published on an internet forum following a dealer presentation.

The M235i is powered by a 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder turbocharged engine producing 322bhp and 322lb ft of torque, according to leaked specifications. It's the most powerful model in the 2-series range and can sprint from 0-62mph in 5.0sec. Its top speed is thought to be limited to 155mph.

It's the least efficient of the 2-series range, managing 35mpg on a combined cycle and emitting 189g/km of CO2.

The standard 2-series has been caught testing numerous times before, in various stages of disguise. The BMW 2-series will replace the current 1-series coupé and cabriolet models when it goes on sale.

The new BMW M235i is due to launch towards the middle of next year.

Leaked spec info

Last edited:
Terrible quality pics there. Grab the ones from Jalopnik or Autoblog.

Anyway, looks like changing the battery is going to be a mighty pain in the ass. No dipstick either.

Terrible quality pics there. Grab the ones from Jalopnik or Autoblog.

Anyway, looks like changing the battery is going to be a mighty pain in the ass. No dipstick either.

That has been for quite some time now. Battery in the rear and dipstickless.

Well it's a damn sight better looking than the contemporary and previous 1-series coupes/3-door. Proportions are still a bit 'wrong', like a scaled-up 4 Series kiddies pedal car.

If they could restrain themselves on the detailing it would be quite nice. The proportions, as with the previous 1 series coupe, are very E30-like. I'm just tired of all the gratuitous sculpting, especially on the front end.

Actually like the proportions. Refreshing to see such a slim hip point in a modern car.

Still think they've got the naming convention backwards, but they can't very well call it the 0-series, right? :D

I prefer the out-going 1 series Coupe looks wise, so long as the 2-er drives like it should - it's all good. M135i gave the competition a good run for it's money, the M235i should be better, so I think it will do alright :D

edit: Also "BMW's niche busting continues", don't get it? :confused:

It looks fantastic, nice proportions and right size for fun.

We're going to get used to the even numbers for coupés. But well, I'm liking!

I prefer the out-going 1 series Coupe looks wise, so long as the 2-er drives like it should - it's all good. M135i gave the competition a good run for it's money, the M235i should be better, so I think it will do alright :D edit: Also "BMW's niche busting continues", don't get it? :confused:
You'll get it once they make the fwd compact in a few years.

-> I 'kinda' like it...but no M at the moment...

-> But I do like this interior quite a bit!

2014-BMW-2-Series-Coupe-20%25255B2%25255D.jpg

^ I'm sick of cars that have no seat option other than a different colored leather...

:)

Actually like the proportions. Refreshing to see such a slim hip point in a modern car.

Agreed. I was a fan of the 1er coupe, but this is far better balanced. Back end looks slimmer in profile yet wider when viewed from behind, which is how it should be.

Also glad they've given it a different face from the 1er. It needed it.

Having driven the M135i, I can't wait to get a go in the 235i. But I'm mostly hoping they put the new 3-cylinder 1.5 turbo into this. It sounds great, it'll be lightweight (compared to the fours, at least), has around 180 hp which should be enough, and it'll probably cruise economically too. Left-field GT86 competitor, price notwithstanding.

You'll get it once they make the fwd compact in a few years.

Yeah actually I'm pretty well versed in all of BMW groups developments and new products in the coming few years. I do tend to have a total sense of humour failure when it comes to thread titles and BMW's, but the insinuation of this thread title is basically incorrect - in an attempt to jump on the "let's bash BMW for releasing lots of new models" bandwagon, the OP is suggesting that this is an attempt to hit an untapped market of small volume - where as it's actually a replacement for a well established model... The fact it carries a new badge is irrelevant, it's hardly a new segment - compact rear wheel drive 2 door cars - in fact, I seem to recall BMW made a bit of a name for itself doing this kind of thing decades ago.

I think it looks pretty awful, to be honest. I'm really not a fan of BMW's styling since Bangle left.

I wonder if this one will be $40+k in the US just like the last one.

That was my first thought. Considering the price drop that the 320i gave the 3-series line this year, and assuming that engine option carries over to the 1 and 2-series models, the high $20k range seems like a reasonable start - probably somewhere around $28k. Not outrageous, but it puts it square in the sight line of the BRZ (which, for the money, I'd rather have in the first place).

Either way, it's a good looking car, inside and out, and I'm hopeful that BMW turns the "let's make our cars feel like they handle worse" boat around on this one. They can't stand to deal with another smattering of bad press on a launch.

Beyond all of that, however, it really makes me hope that this growing segment of small, rear-drive sedans and coupes continues to grow. Between the BRZFRS, this, and whatever may/may not be coming out of Nissan, GM and others... It's going to be a hell of a contentious segment.

That was my first thought. Considering the price drop that the 320i gave the 3-series line this year, and assuming that engine option carries over to the 1 and 2-series models, the high $20k range seems like a reasonable start - probably somewhere around $28k.

M235i: $44,025
228i: $33,025

Also, it's growing on me, at least from some angles...

P90138094_highRes.jpg

edit:
Altered thread title to be less misleading

👍 👍

Last edited:
Looks like the M version could be what the M3 used to be a few generations ago.

This. Certainly going to be paying attention to this model and how the pricing goes on it over the next few years with second hand copies.

It looks good but I'm want to see it in real life before I say that I like this car or not.

"M performance mechanical LSD available for retrofit". WTF does that mean?
Also, I bet it'd cost $$ or come in some package expensive as hell.

"M performance mechanical LSD available for retrofit". WTF does that mean?
Also, I bet it'd cost $$ or come in some package expensive as hell.

That means that the 2 will use an "electronic LSD", which basically uses the brakes to even out power delivery, and a mechanical system will cost extra because it means physically adding an LSD to the car instead of just rewriting some code in the stability control and ABS systems.

Electronic LSDs are fine for most uses, but on the racetrack, they're murder on the brakes, which is why BMW will still offer a mechanical LSD for those who presumably want to thrash their brand new Mazda2... errh... M2?

Wish it was standard, but you can't beat the march of progress.

If BMW replaces the old 1M with a brand new M2 in the future, maybe a mechanical LSD would be standard.

If an M2 is even made at all, I wonder if it will continue to use a twin-turbo inline-6 or use a brand new 4 cylinder turbo motor to continue the downsizing trend.

Back