BMW 8-Series (E31) 850 CSi 1992

This thread is an absolute mess, someone needs to sort it out. If it's just the E31 8-Series as a whole we're voting for then make the title say that and then clean up the first post to show that we're voting for the model series and each individual model is covered.

840Ci - 4.4 V8 - 286bhp
850Ci - 5.4 V12 - 326bhp
850CSi - 5.4 V12 - 375bhp
M8 Concept - 5.5 V12 - 550bhp

Then perhaps maybe the Alpina B12 5.0 and 5.7.

This thread is an absolute mess, someone needs to sort it out. If it's just the E31 8-Series as a whole we're voting for then make the title say that and then clean up the first post to show that we're voting for the model series and each individual model is covered.

840Ci - 4.4 V8 - 286bhp
850Ci - 5.4 V12 - 326bhp
850CSi - 5.4 V12 - 375bhp
M8 Concept - 5.5 V12 - 550bhp

Then perhaps maybe the Alpina B12 5.0 and 5.7.
Look at the title, 850 csi. I consulted a mod about it a while ago and that's the model this threads going with

I see you've been doing home work on E31's, I have 2 of them, Both V12's One is a Dinan 5.0 Twin turbo, The other is a M73 with custom software/flashed and a LSD upgraded rear diff, They are a bunch of fun to drive, The TT puts out 525hp and the M73 puts out 345hp, The maintenance is very reasonable compared to cars of there era with a similar drive train. Very simple to diagnose with a GT1 or similar diagnostic tool, The good thing about the V12 is, It has 2 of everything, So if something does completely fail under the hood, You can Limp it to safety with half a engine, That's right, It can run on half a engine,)
Well I'm obsessed by the E31, and I honestly can't think of how many hours I've read about them, and lokked at photos of them. I'm glad to see that you have two V12's! I utterly love BMW's V12 engines, and they sound great in my opinion.
The fact that you can shot down half of the engine is also something I've been aware off, and I really admire how far ahead BMW was compared to other manafacturers.

I'm thinking of buying one in two years once I'm finished as an apprentice at a workshop, so I'm glad to hear that the V12 isn't that expensive to run.

Thanks for your honest and thorough reply! Sorry for the late response though.

Well I'm obsessed by the E31, and I honestly can't think of how many hours I've read about them, and lokked at photos of them. I'm glad to see that you have two V12's! I utterly love BMW's V12 engines, and they sound great in my opinion.
The fact that you can shot down half of the engine is also something I've been aware off, and I really admire how far ahead BMW was compared to other manafacturers.

I'm thinking of buying one in two years once I'm finished as an apprentice at a workshop, so I'm glad to hear that the V12 isn't that expensive to run.

Thanks for your honest and thorough reply! Sorry for the late response though.
I also think they sound great. The csi sounded wonderful in fm4

Did you know, I asked the Official BMW page on Instagram that will there ever be another 8 series, They replied that we cannot speak upon our future plans. So we might be seeing another 8 series or is it useless as we got the i8.

Did you know, I asked the Official BMW page on Instagram that will there ever be another 8 series, They replied that we cannot speak upon our future plans. So we might be seeing another 8 series or is it useless as we got the i8.
It is sad to hear. BMW needs a compeditor to the S-Class coupé. We did see the Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupé though back in 2013 though, which saw like a new 8-Series, but the beauty will never see production as it seems.
image.jpg

It is sad to hear. BMW needs a compeditor to the S-Class coupé. We did see the Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupé though back in 2013 though, which saw like a new 8-Series, but the beauty will never see production as it seems.
View attachment 309417

Nice but it doesn't have that exotic coupe design like it used to :(

I remember seeing these everywhere about a decade ago in London. So many people had this then but now its such a rarity?
They only made about 30.000 E31's, and most of them was made between 1990-1992. (About 20.000.) The rest of the 10.000 was made in the last 7 years of production. So they are very rare cars, sadly.

I've only seen two in my whole life, so that sums up the rarity of them (at least in Norway.) Luckily though, they are incredibly cheap now, so there is an opportunity for "normal people" to buy and own an E31 these days.

I plan on buying one in the next 2-3 years, so fingers crossed!

We Definitely Need This To Come Back To Gran Turismo, it's one of most cars i missed from Gran Turismo 2.

I really felt in love with this car, i remember couple months ago, November 2014 to be exact, i was going to school when i saw a Sliver BMW E31 passing near us. I went crazy about it and stared at it for the whole time it was near me. I just wished if i could see it once again but sadly that didn't happened. I really Love that V12 even thought some of it are V8 which's still nice IMO and let's not forget the Pop Out Headlight which's my favorite Headlight design.

And oh here's a video i made on Gran Turismo 2 (it's gonna be finished in 20 mintues):

Last edited:
Hello LJ12, I know of the owners of all the cars you pictured above, The first one is from the UK, His name is Timm, He is a enthusiast and he helps several members on bimmerfourms get there 8Series sorted out when they have issues, Great guy!

Back