BMW i Vision Dee concept

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT

bmw_100871177_h.jpg

BMW is working on its next-generation EV platform, code-named Neue Klasse, German for “New Class,” and the automaker has provided a taste of some of the digital aspects of the platform with the BMW i Vision Dee concept.

Revealed on Wednesday ahead of a formal debut on Thursday at the 2023 CES in Las Vegas, the i Vision Dee is a compact sedan that's been built to highlight the growing importance of digitization and connectivity in cars. A related BMW i Vision Circular concept was shown in 2021 as a representation of the circular economy, another core tenet of the Neue Klasse platform.

The Dee in the latest concept's name stands for “Digital Emotional Experience,” something the driver may experience through what BMW describes as intelligent, almost human capabilities from the digital systems being developed for the Neue Klasse platform. Specific features could be as simple as a personalized welcome message whenever the driver enters the car, to something more complex like the headlights and grille using intelligent lighting to produce facial expressions.

In the i Vision Dee concept, a head-up-display spans the width of the windscreen, a feature BMW has confirmed will be offered in vehicles based on the Neu Klasse platform. The HUD serves as the main interface for the driver.

The dashboard of the i Vision Dee concept is noticeably bare to let the driver to focus on the digital experience and the driving experience. A slide controller in the center of the dash allows the driver to select how much content they want visible in the HUD. There are five levels, ranging from basic driving-related information all the way up to full augmented-reality projection and even the display of virtual worlds.

BMW plans to release more information on the Neue Klasse platform during the course of 2023. The first Neue Klasse-based vehicle will be built at a plant under construction in Debrecen, Hungary, starting in 2025. Neue Klasse-based vehicles will also be built at an existing plant in Munich, Germany, starting in 2026. The first vehicle will be a sedan in the 3-Series segment, which will be followed by a sporty SUV.

The Neue Klasse platform is being developed from the onset for electric powertrains. Originally, BMW planned for it to replace the current UKL and CLAR platforms by also supporting internal-combustion engines in various hybrid configurations, but that plan has been abandoned. The platform will be capable of supporting a hydrogen fuel cell, however.

The platform will allow engineers to vary the wheelbase length to fit a variety of body styles, and vehicles based on the platform will take on more aerodynamic designs to help maximize range. As a result, proportions will differ from the past, not only for aerodynamics but also to boost interior space. The platform will also use BMW's sixth-generation electric motor and battery technology, which promises improved power and efficiency. The battery will feature a new cylindrical cell design (instead of the current prismatic cell design), and together with other improvements should result in a range improvement of 30% over BMW's current batteries.

bmw_100871187_h.jpg

bmw_100871188_h.jpg

bmw_100871175_h.jpg

bmw_100871171_h.jpg

Overall, I really like the exterior design of the car. To me, it feels like a reaction to the outrage against the oversize kidney grills and it is a return to form to BMW's usually design characteristics. The design, especially the overall shape and rear lights, reminds me of the E21.

The Dee in the latest concept's name stands for “Digital Emotional Experience,” something the driver may experience through what BMW describes as intelligent, almost human capabilities from the digital systems being developed for the Neue Klasse platform

Yeah, I can't even get my car to do something as simple as connect to the BMW app on my phone so I'm not holding my breath here.

The grille/headlight combo here isn’t bad compared to the current 3/4 series. If BMW keeps the grilles short and wide like this on future projects, then I think it’ll work just fine. Just keep the kidney shape instead of the hideous beaver teeth design.

I like the sedan a lot better than most things they're putting out today. It's simple and elegant, a bit retro, and the horizontal kidney shape works well. Horitzontal design elements are almost always best because they appear low and wide, aka sporty which BMWs are supposed to be. I'm not sure about the silhouette...to me it looks more like a Datsun 510 than a BMW E21 but whatever, it's got some of that 80s vibe to it. Also I like the treatment below the windows which visually lowers the beltline and makes the car look lighter and lower.

There are five levels, ranging from basic driving-related information all the way up to full augmented-reality projection and even the display of virtual worlds.
Ah yes, lets make people think they're tripping on drugs with full AR virtual displays across the windscreen.
Introducing The BMW i Vision DEE The Ultimate Companion BMW USA - YouTube - 4 51.jpeg

Last edited:
The greenhouse is giving me serious 80s Detroit vibes. Particularly GM product...are you seeing what I'm seeing @Tornado ?

Something about the way the window glass drops down just behind the mirror and the overhang proportions just screams 1982 Pontiac Sunbird to me.

TBF I haven't seen a not-stanced E21 in ever so I can see the similarity now haha.
I just never see E21s. Seriously, I don't remember ever seeing one in person, though E30s are still relatively plentiful.

Last edited:
Definitely see that.

When I look back at concepts, these look pretty much up to date next to the BMW. Wouldn’t hurt to pack them with batteries.
1693731931508.jpeg

Definitely see that.

When I look back at concepts, these look pretty much up to date next to the BMW. Wouldn’t hurt to pack them with batteries.
View attachment 1284898
Surely Nissan has been aching to compete with the 86. Honestly I’d consider buying this over the Toyota just because it’s more classic looking.

But not with batteries. Hybrid sports car, sure whatever. Just give me a damn engine.

Last edited:
It's hilarious that BMW has spent so much time putting out grotesque parodies of BMW design cues (and nowadays frequently don't even bother doing that much, like the 4-Series Accord Coupe) that they can feed a bunch of early 2000s Ford concept cars into Stable Diffusion and it's enough to get applause from auto bloggers.

To be honest I've completely lost track with BMWs design language, it's like they're just throwing darts at drawings.

It's hilarious that BMW has spent so much time putting out grotesque parodies of BMW design cues (and nowadays frequently don't even bother doing that much, like the 4-Series Accord Coupe) that they can feed a bunch of early 2000s Ford concept cars into Stable Diffusion and it's enough to get applause from auto bloggers.
I'm convinced that bloggers chase dollars over everything else these days. There are only a few who speak the truth and honestly they do it at the risk of never being able to access manufacturers again.

We’ve finally arrived at the “early 2000s futuristic robot movie” era of car design.

If that's really a production car, I'm somewhat impressed. It doesn't look like they went at it with the cost cutting bat until it stopped breathing at least. Look, the hood line actually goes to the front of the car and doesn't have a vestigial valance panel above the grill!

'Vision' Neue Klasse X is the concept version of the NA5 generation of iX3. It may look the same as this, but that's not the case with any of BMW's other Vision cars or indeed many of their more recent 'concept' labelled cars...

1710952163883.png

Something about the front design still doesn't piece quite right in my mind. But it is not immediately repulsive like the extremely exaggerated pig nose grilles, so it's a pretty big improvement. It seems like an iX that the designers had a while longer to actually make it look at least half decent.

Back