• 5 comments
Uruguay
Rivera
Tsukishima-TDUDT
hdEWAqo.png
BMW i8 Hydrogen Fuel Cell '15
hdEWAqo.png

14703454051774567762.jpg

BMW has introduced the i8 hydrogen fuel cell research vehicle during the BMW Group Innovation Days 2015.

They did a very good job at keeping this a secret as it's only now we get to hear about a research vehicle that was largely completed back in 2012. The underpinnings are the same ones that served as a foundation for the i8, but instead of the plug-in hybrid setup this sinister-looking car adopts a hydrogen fuel cell setup. As a consequence, it has lost the three-cylinder 1.5-liter turbocharged gasoline engine and instead it gained a fuel stack.

The necessary energy comes from cryogenically-stowed hydrogen inside a cylindrical tank that sits down the center line of the vehicle's platform and also from the oxygen coming from cooled air. The rear-mounted electric motor gets its electricity from the fuel stack and this complex arrangement grants the research vehicle with a 242 hp (188 kW) output.

Aside from receiving a different hardware setup, the special i8 also looks different than the regular model as it has a more angular front fascia and a simpler rear end while the body wears a menacing matte black paint.

We remind you BMW and Toyota have a partnership to work on fuel cell technologies, with an emphasis on hydrogen tanks, motors, batteries and fuel cell stacks.

Text by Adrian Padeanu

1010982453396877706.jpg

12504612421185239803.jpg

700647016571397781.jpg

I usually don't like BMW's designs, but this is one of the few that I like. And do you know what's the best thing about this particular i8? It doesn't look like it's pooping a Porsche 911. :lol:

...I believe (personally) that the fuel cell tech is the future, so I'm so up for this. So far, most F-C cars are boring econo boxes and Prius clones or some unattainable tech demo, but this looks so close to production ready, I'm actually salivating at the thought of this pounding the real roads.

I say, bring it on!

BMW i8 Hydrogen Fuel Cell, 2015

SPECIFICATIONS

ENGINE

• Engine : Hydrogen fuel cell electric motor
• Power: 188 kw (242 HP)
• Torque: ???
• Engine location: Mid

PERFORMANCE
• 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) Time = 6.0 secs
• Top Speed = 200 km/h (124 mph) (Limited to protect motors)

DRIVETRAIN
• Layout Mid engine, Rear-wheel drive system
• ??? Speed transmission

BRAKES
• Regenerative Braking

Range
• 483 - 500 km's (300 - 310 miles) of standard driving

DIMENSIONS
• Weight: 1855 kg (4089.5 lbs)

FELLOW COMPETITORS
Honda FCX Clarity, 2009
Toyota Mirai, 2015

For other Hydrogen powered competitors refer to Alternative fuel Sources page under Hydrogen cars.

I prefer this one to the normal i8. While the front design of both cars are at a stalemate, the rear of the Fuel Cell car is much better looking.

Now if we could only get rid of the matte paint and the letters on the side of the car...

Back