BMW M1 1979

• Thread starter adam46
  • 33 comments
United Kingdom
Isle of Wight
AdamNeverKnows
The late 70's answer to the Porsche Supercup, the Procar series attracted F1 drivers to participate mere hours before the main event. A truly magnificent car, powered by the straight-six that would power M cars for years to come.

Also an excellent drivers car on the road, the BMW M1 was a ground breaking moment for BMW, who would prove that they had struck gold with the 'M' range. The M1 is genesis.

BMW M1 1979 - 1981

2014-01-20_192633-jpg.102304

Pics

Last edited:
Also, don't forget the BMW M1 campaigned on UK racing circuits which was fitted with a 7 litre Chevrolet engine! I don't know why the engine was swapped - presumably because it was too expensive to replace the BMW engine after it was damaged, but I remember seeing it in the pits at Brands Hatch many years ago.

Any of them will do for me. It's such a great car, yet there are very few games that feature it.

Only reason I asked (back before it was 211 likes), was because the rules are that you can't really post unless you're adding to the request, and its not like we can poll all 211 people who liked to ask which one they'd prefer... So I'm not sure if this will work as a thing, because its not specific which version of the car is being requested.

So if it could only be one, I'd much rather the road car. After all, it is the original M car.

EDIT: I think make it the road car, and people that only wanted the race car can unlike of the choose, just update the title as well 👍

Last edited:
Only reason I asked (back before it was 211 likes), was because the rules are that you can't really post unless you're adding to the request, and its not like we can poll all 211 people who liked to ask which one they'd prefer... So I'm not sure if this will work as a thing, because its not specific which version of the car is being requested.

So if it could only be one, I'd much rather the road car. After all, it is the original M car.

EDIT: I think make it the road car, and people that only wanted the race car can unlike of the choose, just update the title as well 👍

I agree with the above, regarding the distinction between the road car and race car, and I disagree also, because I prefer the race car, and I wouldn't mind if we got both the works and Andy Warhol livery.

But then I believe that this is asking too much, so I would settle for ... for ... for ... 🤬 I don't know, flip a coin or something.

There are lots of liveries the M1 looks good in. The Warhol art car was iconic, but not actually that good.

As well as white with the M colours,

I liked the 1980 Le Mans livery,

88172.jpg

Also, the UHER Cassani pro-car

180792977_N.jpg

I also quite like the BASF and Marlboro liveries...

The purist in me says road car... but a one-make series for the race car.. to mirror the old Procar series would be awesome.

M1_07.jpg

Looks like the a Procar "Race spec" version - maybe with the driver names on the sunstripe on the windscreen.

Maybe a "Gold" prize car could be the one in Niki Lauda's BASF spiral livery.

Would be nice to have the "road car" as well.

@adam46 Could you please answer my above question? As in, could we decide which car this thread is for, or if you want both (and think PD will A. listen and B. provide both), could you please rank Road before Race or vice-versa?

Making this a 1 car thread makes sense, you could simply re-do another request for the other car in a separate thread.

Again, both are worthy, but ambiguity isn't often rewarded with specific answers, or additions.

EDIT: As the 10th most popular car, if any other these cars are considered by PD for GT7, we might be in with a shout here, worth making a choice I believe.

Back