BMW officially announce DTM from 2012

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by MatskiMonk, Oct 15, 2010.

1. F1 fan

F1 fan Premium

I don't know if he'd call it a mistake. He has had some good results and is relatively consistent. He's not going to win any races, but he is still relatively young. He still has the desire to race at the top level. It's a shame because his career could still be going strong now had BMW's strategy not cost him dearly in Montreal in 2008. Since BMW pulled out, no one has wanted him really. He's just been called up due to his experience, but he was no one's first choice. When he first came into F1 eleven and a half years ago, he seemed destined to become a big star.

Perhaps if he was slightly more aggressive, it could have been.

2. arveknudsen

arveknudsen

3. MarcoM

MarcoM

[​IMG]

Looks nice!

4. Prince.M5

Prince.M5

It does look nice and some that have been to the BMW Welt said the car looks even better in reality...

So far the drivers that have been confirmed driving for BMW Team Schnitzer are Andy Priaulx and Augusto Farfus. There are still two more teams of BMW Team RBM and Reinhold Motorsport that are yet to announce their official driver line up. Nick Heidfeld could be part of either one of them still...

5. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Audi have unveiled the A5 DTM:

[​IMG]

I like it. Interesting rear spoiler, too.

6. MarcoM

MarcoM

Pleases the eye. Should be good to watch the new DTM.

7. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

Very nice, can't wait to see it in action.

8. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

Bruno Spengler was confirmed as a BMW driver for next season at Brands Hatch.

9. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

I know it's likely, but I don't think this has been officially announced yet has it?

Jorg and Dirk Müller are testing the car this week along with Priaulx and Farfus..

10. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

And Mercedes have launched theirs, the C-Class Coupe:

[​IMG]

Again with the funky spoiler.

11. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

The rear wing is one of 50 standardised parts for all cars (these standard parts will reduce costs by 40%).

12. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I mean it's an unusualt design. Most of the time the struts holding up the rear spoiler usually connect on the underside of the spoiler. But here, they connect to the top.

13. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Premium

The "swan neck" wing is a new-ish design a lot of GT and sportscars have been taking on recently. It supposedly makes air flow under the wing more efficient.

14. tribolik

tribolik

Interesting and equal in all 3 diferent cars... the Audi seems to be bigger (longer perhaps) or is it me??? I think I liked the A4 better...

15. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

Same size is my guess. I think they are all the same under the skin. It's a Silhouette series. One Chassis fits all.

16. Azure Flare

Azure Flare (Banned)

It creates more surface area under the wing, producing more downforce. The first racers (that I know of) was the Acura ARX-02a. I think the Audi R15 had it too.

17. tribolik

tribolik

Maybe your right but there has been a regulation change for this next year... so they could have increased the size of the chassis for 2012... one thing is for sure they changed the 4 doors chassis to 2 doors chassis on all cars... and I think the 3 diferent chassis have 3 diferent engines also but dont quote me on that...

[​IMG]

EDIT

Audi A4 DTM 2009

length 4800 mm / 189 in
    width 1850 mm / 72.8 in
    height 1200 mm / 47.2 in

Audi A5 DTM 2012

5.01 meters long
    1.95 meters wide
    1.15 meters low

It seems I was right the A5 is bigger... larger and lower... I wonder if that will affect the handling in a neg. way.

EDIT 2

It seems they are all wider due to the fact that they will use wider tires for more mechanical grip...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  18. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

This info was taken from www.touringcartimes.com http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=6706

edit: Just wanted to add that the Audi looks like poo compared to the Merc and the BMW, but this isn't a beauty contest!

19. sar593

sar593

"It's hard to overlook the rear wing mounts. The "swan necks" mount to the less sensitive, less important high pressure side of the wing freeing up low pressure side wing area and reducing airflow disruption." Taken from here

20. tribolik

tribolik

So it seems that the Audi is longer than the mercedes and thats why it looks worse IMO.

[​IMG]

21. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

Same length I think:

Mercedes C Class Coupe DTM
    Length: 5.010 mm
    Width: 1.950 mm
    Height: 1.210 mm
    Wheelbase: 2.750 mm
    Fuel tank: 120 litres
    Weight: 1050 kg (with driver)

Audi A5 DTM 2012
    5.010 meters long
    1.950 meters wide
    1.150 meters high

22. tribolik

tribolik

Same lenght the metal plate under the cars (or chassis structure) as you can see on the shadow of the Merc its about the same size the shadow of the Audi but the shape of the Audi hood is much bigger and ugglier IMO...

23. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

Not much info from the first group test.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=6715

24. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

BMW have unveiled the M3 livery. It will use their traditional white, blue and red BMW Motorsport design:

[​IMG]

25. AMCNUT

AMCNUT

It'll be nice to see BMW jump back on the DTM bandwagon. It's just a shame that none of that stuff gets televised in Canada - maybe the highlight reels on Speed every so often. Now if only Alfa-Romeo and Opel would get back in it'd be a real good show!

26. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

27. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

28. Prince.M5

Prince.M5

The rear and side of the car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just look at that... So guys, whose watching the DTM race today will have a chance to see some demonstration laps of this beast. Lucky, I don't have a coverage for it strangely this weekend.

[Source is Touring Car Times]

29. AMCNUT

AMCNUT

30. Mt. Lynx

Mt. Lynx Premium

The new DTM cars look amazing. I´m gonna start watching DTM again next season!