Bored-Need New Ideas

• Thread starter tori
  • 18 comments
United States
United States
I've recently become sort of bored with drifting on GT6, and that's really depressing seeing as drifting is everything to me... :( I need something new to do or drive or even a new way of drifting. đź’ˇ
Here's a list of some things I can do/drive so we can skip the process of going through them.

Types of drifting
  • Forwards-RWD, AWD and FWD
  • Reverse-RWD, AWD and FWD
  • Gymkhana-(Obvious)
  • Controlled Chaos Drifting (Named by my friend, Leo)-RWD and AWD, I've found it isn't possible to keep enough speed with FWD

Types of cars
  • All of the standard drift cars seen in every day lobbies of course
  • Horsepower from 150-1500(Tomahawk GTS-R, so there's no confusion)
  • 97T, FGT and all LMP cars
Looking back at this it looks like I'm a showoff... And I am. :lol: But that's not the purpose of this thread. I'm a drifting elitist/perfectionist and I need something new. I'll answer all the questions I can. Any help is greatly appreciated! :D

I've recently become sort of bored with drifting on GT6, and that's really depressing seeing as drifting is everything to me... :( I need something new to do or drive or even a new way of drifting. đź’ˇ
Here's a list of some things I can do/drive so we can skip the process of going through them.

Types of drifting
  • Gymkhana-(Obvious)
  • Controlled Chaos Drifting (Named by my friend, Leo)-RWD and AWD, I've found it isn't possible to keep enough speed with FWD

Types of cars
Looking back at this it looks like I'm a showoff... And I am. :lol: But that's not the purpose of this thread. I'm a drifting elitist/perfectionist and I need something new. I'll answer all the questions I can. Any help is greatly appreciated! :D

Do you use a wheel or controller? If you use a controller, and are that passionate about drifting, getting a wheel is probably the best thing you can do for a new challenge.

Aside from a wheel, I think the best challenge is tandem. When I think of being a "master of tandem", there's a few things that come to mind:

- Chasing. Are you an absolute monster in the chase position? Can you stay glued to anyone's door, in any car, on any track? Can you time you transitions so precisely that it gives the illusion that you're changing direction at the exact same time as the lead car? Can you match the lead's angle and speed without taking a more shallow line? Can you do all that together...and make it look easy?

- Leading. To me, there's two types of leading when drifting with other people. One where you're trying to run as smooth and consistent as possible to encourage someone else to get on your door. This is especially useful when running at the front of groups of three and up. The second type of leading is more competion style, where you're trying to shake off the chase driver. This doesn't necessarily mean being dirty, or running away...more so laying down a lead run that the chase driver just can't match.

- Last is combing leading and chasing into being in the middle of a pack of cars that are going door to door for a long time. You have to find the sweet spot between keeping up with the person in front, while not being shallow and closing the door on the person behind.

You didn't say anything about what tracks you drift on. Have you "mastered" every track in the game? Can you do full laps of tracks like The Nordschleif or Sierra, in a variety of cars? A few mini challenges I can think of is drifting the banking at Cape Ring, Motegi, and Daytona. Or even SSRX...is that even possible?

Do you do the points drifting seasonals? Aiming for top of the leaderboards would be a challenge if that's what you're into.

If you usually use one type of tire, you could try drifting with different compounds.

Last thing I can think of is try racing :lol: Try Touge racing on something like CS or SH tires, and combine drift with grip to try to high speedo drift your way to victory.

Do you use a wheel or controller? If you use a controller, and are that passionate about drifting, getting a wheel is probably the best thing you can do for a new challenge.

Aside from a wheel, I think the best challenge is tandem. When I think of being a "master of tandem", there's a few things that come to mind:

- Chasing. Are you an absolute monster in the chase position? Can you stay glued to anyone's door, in any car, on any track? Can you time you transitions so precisely that it gives the illusion that you're changing direction at the exact same time as the lead car? Can you match the lead's angle and speed without taking a more shallow line? Can you do all that together...and make it look easy?

- Leading. To me, there's two types of leading when drifting with other people. One where you're trying to run as smooth and consistent as possible to encourage someone else to get on your door. This is especially useful when running at the front of groups of three and up. The second type of leading is more competion style, where you're trying to shake off the chase driver. This doesn't necessarily mean being dirty, or running away...more so laying down a lead run that the chase driver just can't match.

- Last is combing leading and chasing into being in the middle of a pack of cars that are going door to door for a long time. You have to find the sweet spot between keeping up with the person in front, while not being shallow and closing the door on the person behind.

You didn't say anything about what tracks you drift on. Have you "mastered" every track in the game? Can you do full laps of tracks like The Nordschleif or Sierra, in a variety of cars? A few mini challenges I can think of is drifting the banking at Cape Ring, Motegi, and Daytona. Or even SSRX...is that even possible?

Do you do the points drifting seasonals? Aiming for top of the leaderboards would be a challenge if that's what you're into.

If you usually use one type of tire, you could try drifting with different compounds.

Last thing I can think of is try racing :lol: Try Touge racing on something like CS or SH tires, and combine drift with grip to try to high speedo drift your way to victory.
I've had a wheel (G27) for 8 months (since Christmas) and for the first 6 months I tried to drift every day and the 7th month, every other day. This month I've tried maybe once or twice a week. So 8 months and I still only RARELY get around a corner sideways... Don't bother giving me tips on that because I've taken everyones advice and I've tried everything I can think of and nothing works.

I'm very good at tandeming, I once got kicked out of a friendly comp practice room for being too good which I thought was complete bs... That angered me for awhile... I'm not perfect with groups of 4+ but that's because no one good enough is ever on to do that with me.

I'm good on any track. Nurb, Sierra, etc. Actually Sierra is one of my favorite tracks to drift on. Also, yes, it's possible to drift the turns on SSRX, I've done it with my FXX and a Viper. It just requires alot of power.

When I do the drift seasonals I'm generally in the top 100, if I'm fairly early (a few hours) sometimes I'll be top 20 which is weird because I know alot of people who are better point drifters than me.

I've already tried touge and there isn't enough people really into it for it to be fun, maybe if I had other people to drive with but driving alone like that is boring.

I've had a wheel (G27) for 8 months (since Christmas) and for the first 6 months I tried to drift every day and the 7th month, every other day. This month I've tried maybe once or twice a week. So 8 months and I still only RARELY get around a corner sideways... Don't bother giving me tips on that because I've taken everyones advice and I've tried everything I can think of and nothing works.

I'm very good at tandeming, I once got kicked out of a friendly comp practice room for being too good which I thought was complete bs... That angered me for awhile... I'm not perfect with groups of 4+ but that's because no one good enough is ever on to do that with me.

I'm good on any track. Nurb, Sierra, etc. Actually Sierra is one of my favorite tracks to drift on. Also, yes, it's possible to drift the turns on SSRX, I've done it with my FXX and a Viper. It just requires alot of power.

When I do the drift seasonals I'm generally in the top 100, if I'm fairly early (a few hours) sometimes I'll be top 20 which is weird because I know alot of people who are better point drifters than me.

I've already tried touge and there isn't enough people really into it for it to be fun, maybe if I had other people to drive with but driving alone like that is boring.
Well that's your answer. Just leave the controller aside and be "too good" at tandeming and "top 100" in seasonals with the wheel. With the controller why don't you don't you try accomplishing all the things you do with lower horse power cars. Maybe those that others don't use. Don't quit with the wheel because it's too hard. That's what you are looking for, right? A challenge.

Types of drifting
  • Gymkhana-(Obvious)

Types of cars

If you're an elitist or a perfectionist I think using a wheel might suit you more. In my opinion its pretty easy to drift on a DS3 considering you can correct your way out of most mistakes. It obviously takes longer for others but you'll learn it eventually. I've seen people use the wheel every day for a few years and have yet to feel comfortable and i've seen others do it flawlessly in 2 weeks. It all depends if you're a quick learner.

Well that's your answer. Just leave the controller aside and be "too good" at tandeming and "top 100" in seasonals with the wheel. With the controller why don't you don't you try accomplishing all the things you do with lower horse power cars. Maybe those that others don't use. Don't quit with the wheel because it's too hard. That's what you are looking for, right? A challenge.
I never said I was too good, they said I was and I thought it was stupid. I can do everything just fine with low HP cars but it's just not fun for me. And yes, I want a challenge but not something that is simply impossible for me. I've said it before and I'll say it again... I've taken everyones advice and tried everything I could come up with and after over half a year I still can't drift around a single corner.

If you're an elitist or a perfectionist I think using a wheel might suit you more. In my opinion its pretty easy to drift on a DS3 considering you can correct your way out of most mistakes. It obviously takes longer for others but you'll learn it eventually. I've seen people use the wheel every day for a few years and have yet to feel comfortable and i've seen others do it flawlessly in 2 weeks. It all depends if you're a quick learner.
As I said above, I just can't drift with the wheel. I'm done with it. And yes, drifting on the DS3 is easier but there are alot of things you can do on the DS3 that aren't even remotely possible on any wheel. Example, reverse drifting. So I'd rather stick with the DS3.

The reason I hesitated to create this was because I thought people were going to think I was bragging when I seriously wanted help. I guess I was right in thinking that...

Well my friend. We have a totally opposite understanding of the word "challenge" then. You look for things that are hard to do but once it's past a certain level of difficulty you just don't see the purpose on doing it? That varies from person to person. And honestly that's the best advice anyone here could've given you. You can either push yourself to use the wheel or just leave GT6 because from what you've mentioned there really isn't that much more to do.

What wheel? You could sell it and buy another console. Forza should do.

my first respond when I read your first post was: get AC or another game for that matter (that's what I did and lots of people are doing it too), personally I'm so bored with gt6 that I'm also looking for new things to do within the game, I go to gt6 for the community and TANDEM and there isn't much of those two now a days so it gets boring pretty fast. Most self acclaimed "PRO ONLY" lobby's are just there for points so no tandem. So it takes a while to find a lobby to my liking.

if I'm not mistaken you mentioned that you've been at it with the wheel for 7 months??, like Ishox said some people take a week or months or even years, I have seen it too, all of those examples.
It took me about a year to be OK and feel comfortable with the wheel, I know you already said you have tried it all with the wheel however do you only practice with the wheel or you go back to the controller?
IF you really want to learn to drift on the wheel, it takes only two things: commitment and patience. if you start practicing with the wheel, stick to the wheel, every single time you are going to play GT6 use the wheel, don't go back to the controller, I know is frustrating not being able to drift and so tempting to take the controller but you won't make much progress.

I don't think there is anything else I can say that it hasn't been said already, so good luck to you my friend and KDF.

Exactly. Stick to the wheel. Most of us I am sure never touched the controller once we got a wheel. I only used my controller once because I didn't have acess to my wheel. And this was about a year after starting with the wheel. If you keep going back and forward with the controller then you'll never truly feel comfortable with the wheel. (Although you haven't mentioned if you would switch back to the controller everyday. Only that you practiced everyday)

Exactly. Stick to the wheel. Most of us I am sure never touched the controller once we got a wheel. I only used my controller once because I didn't have acess to my wheel. And this was about a year after starting with the wheel. If you keep going back and forward with the controller then you'll never truly feel comfortable with the wheel. (Although you haven't mentioned if you would switch back to the controller everyday. Only that you practiced everyday)
For the first 5 months I didn't touch my controller because I listened to similar advice. But it evidently didn't work...

How old are you dude?

If you're that into drifting, and doing it with the controller is boring now, surely the wheel is the obvious and only real answer.

I ask your age because I'm guessing you're too young to drive, being a driver myself I find the wheel intuitive, therefore I find it natural, although I was racing and drifting in sims long before driving age.

Presuming you are yet to reach driving age, I'd say use that as an incentive for learning the wheel.

People argue that due to lack of G forces, no sim can truly teach car control, but I can tell you from personal experience that knowledge gained from sim racing can and will help you react properly in a real car.

Surely you want to move onto drifting real cars at some point in your life, they don't come with DS3's attached mate.

The sense of achievement that comes from cracking wheel sim drifting is huge, and then the new techniques that you will have to learn will keep you from being bored ever again.

Find some wheel specific setups and go from there. (here you go) (oh and watch this, more than once)

Good luck and as mentioned above, KDF.

How old are you dude?

If you're that into drifting, and doing it with the controller is boring now, surely the wheel is the obvious and only real answer.

I ask your age because I'm guessing you're too young to drive, being a driver myself I find the wheel intuitive, therefore I find it natural, although I was racing and drifting in sims long before driving age.

Presuming you are yet to reach driving age, I'd say use that as an incentive for learning the wheel.

People argue that due to lack of G forces, no sim can truly teach car control, but I can tell you from personal experience that knowledge gained from sim racing can and will help you react properly in a real car.

Surely you want to move onto drifting real cars at some point in your life, they don't come with DS3's attached mate.

The sense of achievement that comes from cracking wheel sim drifting is huge, and then the new techniques that you will have to learn will keep you from being bored ever again.

Find some wheel specific setups and go from there. (here you go) (oh and watch this, more than once)

Good luck and as mentioned above, KDF.

Yeah... See, the thing is I already drift in real life, better than anyone I've seen in real life. Although saying that isn't saying much seeing as I live in a place with not alot of people who care for vehicles. Me and friends go into the hills we have around my area and tandem. Alot. And from my experience of 6 years and drifting 7 different cars I can say that drifting in GT6 is not like real life. Yes, G forces are a big part of it but the FFB and just generally the way the cars react isn't very realistic. This is why I didn't want wheel drifting to be brought up...

I see your point. Drifting is about as exciting as watching paint dry. But everyone needs a hobby, and if abusing cars for your entertainment is your idea of fun then go for it

i tend to play with my imagination and so things come easy to me when it comes to keeping up my interest. Recently I got lost in the YouTube automotive "Pure Sound" world. At some point I came across the video below. I then took my favorite Super-car (Ferrari F40) through Monaco using only one lane. On my first lap I stopped at the last turn before the bridge (just like the cars in the vid) and gave it a blast into the tunnel ...tire smoke and all. I then cruised the rest of lap.

But then at some point I got bored with that and started attacking the course using only the right lane. What an experience! The track feels tight and it feels like you are doing an autocross course. Doing it in the F40 is a thing of spiritual beauty. I do not know what that is but it sounds epic enough to describe the experience. Since then I have been doing it in different cars and am having a ball. The Lotus 111R feels like it was born for it. The Huayra feels like it thinks you owe it money and wants to hurt you.

I am pretty sure that when GT7 comes out, and I have played it for about a year, I will reflect on my Monaco 1-Lane attacks and dreamily say "fun times". Try it if you are able to play with your imagination.

i tend to play with my imagination and so things come easy to me when it comes to keeping up my interest. Recently I got lost in the YouTube automotive "Pure Sound" world. At some point I came across the video below. I then took my favorite Super-car (Ferrari F40) through Monaco using only one lane. On my first lap I stopped at the last turn before the bridge (just like the cars in the vid) and gave it a blast into the tunnel ...tire smoke and all. I then cruised the rest of lap.

But then at some point I got bored with that and started attacking the course using only the right lane. What an experience! The track feels tight and it feels like you are doing an autocross course. Doing it in the F40 is a thing of spiritual beauty. I do not know what that is but it sounds epic enough to describe the experience. Since then I have been doing it in different cars and am having a ball. The Lotus 111R feels like it was born for it. The Huayra feels like it thinks you owe it money and wants to hurt you.

I am pretty sure that when GT7 comes out, and I have played it for about a year, I will reflect on my Monaco 1-Lane attacks and dreamily say "fun times". Try it if you are able to play with your imagination.

I'll definitely try that, maybe even try it drifting, sounds like fun. Thanks! đź‘Ť

Yeah... See, the thing is I already drift in real life, better than anyone I've seen in real life. Although saying that isn't saying much seeing as I live in a place with not alot of people who care for vehicles. Me and friends go into the hills we have around my area and tandem. Alot. And from my experience of 6 years and drifting 7 different cars I can say that drifting in GT6 is not like real life. Yes, G forces are a big part of it but the FFB and just generally the way the cars react isn't very realistic. This is why I didn't want wheel drifting to be brought up...

I beg to differ, yeah the FFB isn't as strong, but how the cars react is similar. I don't think I've ever seen someone who drifts in real life, not want to use a wheel. Considering if you do actually drift in real life so good, your style should work in GT without any changes. It took me about an hour to start drifting properly with the wheel in GT.

I see your point. Drifting is about as exciting as watching paint dry. But everyone needs a hobby, and if abusing cars for your entertainment is your idea of fun then go for it

As for you, go ahead and leave the drifting forum if you find it that boring. No one cares about your 'opinions', you started with the negative comments about realistic modded cars and now you're here....

Please grow up.

I beg to differ, yeah the FFB isn't as strong, but how the cars react is similar. I don't think I've ever seen someone who drifts in real life, not want to use a wheel. Considering if you do actually drift in real life so good, your style should work in GT without any changes. It took me about an hour to start drifting properly with the wheel in GT.
Yeah it's similar but it will obviously never be the real thing. My style doesn't work in GT because I'm a very aggressive drifter and being aggressive with a wheel on GT6 doesn't work well, at least not for me anyways. And yes, it took you 1 hour, I've been trying almost every day for 6 months, then 3 or 4 days per week for the next month and a half and now I rarely try because I know it doesn't work. Now, I'm not going to continue talking about wheel drifting because as I said before, it doesn't work for me. So if anyone has any other ideas, great, if not, I don't care.

Back