Wheel setups for beginners by FussyFez.

• Thread starter FussyFez
  • 45 comments
United Kingdom
England
1394221003713.jpg

In this thread I will be sharing a few of my drift setups. They have helped me learn how to drift again in the move from gt5 to gt6, and I get lots of joy out of them all regularly.

I hope they can help others that may be struggling.

All setups have been made using a DFGT wheel, FFB 5, simulation, no powersteering, manual. I have tried them on DS3 and they are driftable on a pad.

These setups are all medium power builds, designed to be stable at full throttle and high angle. Because of this, you may experience snap back issues at first, these cars want to understeer naturally, this is what gives them the stability in full throttle wheel spin, to be able to hold high angles.

If snap back is proving too much of an issue, reverse the ARB settings front to rear, this will give the car a more neutral - oversteery balance, giving easier rotation, but throttle control is now more important to prevent spinning.

These are my go - to drift cars for fun, I am restricted to offline play, so I can't comment on online handling characteristics (physics difference?)

All tuned at Stowe, so they are really designed for slower technical courses, this shows in the spring rates. These cars can be used for high speed stuff, but ultimately they lack the power to keep up with the big boys in angle terms at higher speeds.

Camber- whilst I run 0.0 on all my grip cars, I am getting better consistency and angle with camber on my drift cars, I don't know why, but whatever is doing is helping.

I don't use the handbrake, so that's why you see all my cars with high rear brake balance.

Change the exhausts for your own visual and audio preferences.

All tuned with all assists off except abs 1.
They can be used with ABS 0, but you will need to play with the brake balance to get the braking right for you

As and when you are completely comfortable with drifting these cars, up the power with stage 2 or 3 engine, and use a mid range turbo for high speed drifting, but I recommend the low rpm turbo for tight, slower tracks. Also set the rear camber to 0.0 for the most grip in the rear when you are confident with getting the power down, but want more control over the rear. This will all need great throttle control compared to the setups as you see them here.

Good luck, and enjoy :cheers:

My video thread is here featuring some of these setups.

Edit:
I've now started using the handbrake to extend early entries, all of these tunes work fine with this technique.

1394014733015.jpg

(s15) Silvia spec R Aero '02

CH
511PP
389BHP
1039KG
55:45

PARTS
All drivetrain upgrades
All weight reduction upgrades
Stage 1 engine
Ecu
Intake
Isometric manifold
Sports cat
Low rpm turbo
Semi race exhaust
Fully adjustable suspension

Front:rear

Ride height
85:80

Springs
7.00:6.00

Compression
4:2

Extension
5:4

ARB
5:2

Camber
3.5:1.5

Toe
-0.20:0.15

Diff
60/60/60

Brake balance
5:10

Gearing
Top speed set to 162mph

1393948414951.jpg

180sx Type X '96
CH
502PP
358BHP
1022KG
58:42

PARTS
All drivetrain upgrades
Stage 1 engine
Ecu
Intake
Isometric manifold
Sports cat
Low rpm turbo
Semi race exhaust

Ride height
75:75

Springs
8.00:7.00

Compression
5:5

Extension
6:6

ARB

Camber
3.5:2.0

Toe
-0.10:0.10

Diff
60/60/60

Brake balance

Gearing
Top speed set to 155mph

1394014731455.jpg

Sileighty '98
CH
503pp
357bhp
994KG
54:46

PARTS
All drivetrain upgrades
Stage 1 engine
Ecu
Intake
Isometric manifold
Sports cat
Low rpm turbo
Sports exhaust

Ride height
70:70

Springs
8.00:7.00

Compression
6:4

Extension
7:6

ARB
5:3

Camber
2.5:1.0

Toe
-0.10:0.15

Diff
60/60/60

Brake balance

Gearing
Top speed set to 137mph

1393948416563.jpg

(s13) Silvia K's Dia Selection '90
CH
507PP
360BHP
954KG
58:42

PARTS
All drivetrain upgrades
Stage 2 engine
Ecu
Intake
Isometric manifold
Sports cat
Low rpm turbo
race exhaust

Ride height
85:75

Springs
8.00:5.00

Compression
6:5

Extension
7:7

ARB

Camber
2.5:1.5

Toe
-0.10:0.15

Diff
60/60/60

Brake balance

Gearing
Top speed set to 162mph

Good luck and enjoy.

Update

S14 SILVIA K's AERO

1395272638889.jpg

Update

Mazda efini RX-7 Type R' 91

Some more advanced cars.

These cars are a step up from the ones above. More power, more grip, downforce.

All things that can overwhelm a new drifter, but they also make a very capable drift machine for the more experienced guys.

Blitz Dunlop ER34 Skyline '07

RE Amemiya FD3S RX-7

Update

BMW M4

Last edited:
Haven't tried any of these yet but having a really hard time drifting with my g27, will these setups work with any other wheel? ( Ie g27)

Your setups look very nice! Only thing I would suggest would be to run less camber on the rear, if you run too much camber it actually reduces grip.
I'm not sure how I feel about the brake balance also. Everything else looks good.

They work for me.

The brake balance is due to the fact I don't use the handbrake, so the 5:10 allows me to scrub speed whilst also adding angle.

The rear camber seems to fight the snap back characteristics of the understeer biast setups, it makes them slightly more forgiving.

Remember, these are supposed to be easy to handle, not the world's best drift machines.

They should work with G27 in sequential mode, can't see any reason why not.

Please feel free to try them out and post any feedback, good or bad.

Just been playing with an S14 that is coming along nicely. Will probably post it tomorrow. Also an FC RX7 but that one's proving to be a bit more lively.

They work for me.

The brake balance is due to the fact I don't use the handbrake, so the 5:10 allows me to scrub speed whilst also adding angle.

The rear camber seems to fight the snap back characteristics of the understeer biast setups, it makes them slightly more forgiving.

Remember, these are supposed to be easy to handle, not the world's best drift machines.

They should work with G27 in sequential mode, can't see any reason why not.

Please feel free to try them out and post any feedback, good or bad.

Just been playing with an S14 that is coming along nicely. Will probably post it tomorrow. Also an FC RX7 but that one's proving to be a bit more lively.
I have an FC and s14 tune if you'd like to try them

@Mcrsmokey

Low range turbo aswell?

Not with the ps3 so can't check specifics right now.

All of these cars should be the same bolt ons.

Stage 1 engine, ecu, manifold, Intake, exhaust, sports cat and low rpm turbo for engines.

Triple Plate clutch, lsd, prop shaft and gearbox.

Stage 3 weight reduction and windows and bonnet.

I'll double check when I get home.

Not updated the ps3 since the main 1.04 and the 4wd fix. Maybe a ninja update after my last one nerfed the power output for the S13?

Hey Fuzzy I've been pretty busy lately so I haven't been able to try out your tunes yet. But now I'll actually have some free time on the weekend so sorry for the delay in this message university is really bogging me down at the moment.

Hey Fuzzy I've been pretty busy lately so I haven't been able to try out your tunes yet. But now I'll actually have some free time on the weekend so sorry for the delay in this message university is really bogging me down at the moment.
No worries mate, real life is more important.

Good luck with your studies!

So far all my attempts have resulted in spinning out lol but I will keep at it
Which one are you using mate?

Are you spinning as soon as your sideways? If so, faster countersteer.

Once you have caught the slide, you should be able to hold full throttle and control the slide with the steering. It's just the Inital catch that needs to be quick.

I tend to feint at full throttle, then as soon as the back starts sliding, 'blip' the throttle off, then straight back on again, whilst simultaneously getting some counter steering on, this should land you into a nice balanced slide.

If your okay catching the slide, and your spinning mid corner, you just need to know when to 'blip off' the throttle, but staying off too long without reducing the counter steer will result in snap back.

Snap back should be more of an issue than spinning with the understeery setups.

Try this to get you comfortable with countering.

Come to a full stop, accelerate off with full wheelspin. Immediately bang second, and just nudge the steering to the left or right, then as the back goes, keep it floored, but countersteer immediately once you feel the back go sideways.

You should get a feel for how fast, and how much to countersteer, and then what the wheel feels like when you have caught it, and now the balancing act begins.

Ideally, you want your front wheels to always be pointing in your intended direction of travel, if your spinning with these low power cars, it can only be due to steering input being too slow. I can stay full throttle once the drift is balanced and constant.

Streets of willow skid pan is a good place to start.

Master actually sliding before trying to add any major speed.

Good luck and keep practicing!

Last edited:
Which one are you using mate?

Are you spinning as soon as your sideways? If so, faster countersteer.

Once you have caught the slide, you should be able to hold full throttle and control the slide with the steering. It's just the Inital catch that needs to be quick.

I tend to feint at full throttle, then as soon as the back starts sliding, 'blip' the throttle off, then straight back on again, whilst simultaneously getting some counter steering on, this should land you into a nice balanced slide.

If your okay catching the slide, and your spinning mid corner, you just need to know when to 'blip off' the throttle, but staying off too long without reducing the counter steer will result in snap back.

Snap back should be more of an issue than spinning with the understeery setups.

Try this to get you comfortable with countering.

Come to a full stop, accelerate off with full wheelspin. Immediately bang second, and just nudge the steering to the left or right, then as the back goes, keep it floored, but countersteer immediately once you feel the back go sideways.

You should get a feel for how fast, and how much to countersteer, and then what the wheel feels like when you have caught it, and now the balancing act begins.

Ideally, you want your front wheels to always be pointing in your intended direction of travel, if your spinning with these low power cars, it can only be due to steering input being too slow. I can stay full throttle once the drift is balanced and constant.

Streets of willow skid pan is a good place to start.

Master actually sliding before trying to add any major speed.

Good luck and keep practicing!

Gonna practice a bit more today...I think you hit on exactly what my problem is because I really had very little info of how to drift...thanks again

im trying to drift fairlady z 300sx I can drift the wheel good got transitans and trotel control down just cant tune so if any body can tune the fairlady z 300sx twinturbo 2seater detailed inter and everything upgraded but lowerd power limiter to 601 P.s. I did oil change and drift with a g27

im trying to drift fairlady z 300sx I can drift the wheel good got transitans and trotel control down just cant tune so if any body can tune the fairlady z 300sx twinturbo 2seater detailed inter and everything upgraded but lowerd power limiter to 601 P.s. I did oil change and drift with a g27

I can have a play around and see what I come up with, but you want power limiter to 601bhp?

Slightly odd?

I'll do a setup with my usual style of low rpm turbo and post it up in the next couple of days.

You say youve got transitions and throttle control sorted, so what are the specfic issues you are encountering?

I can have a play around and see what I come up with, but you want power limiter to 601bhp?

Slightly odd?

I'll do a setup with my usual style of low rpm turbo and post it up in the next couple of days.

You say youve got transitions and throttle control sorted, so what are the specfic issues you are encountering?
I spin out I got a fc 482 hp and its just fine I go to 601 I spin

Back