Bought T300 RS GT, why am I slow?

• Thread starter Mateusz90
  • 41 comments
Poland
Poland
Hi, after 7 hours playing today I still do 1:31:500 on circuit experience at Laguna seca (2 seconds slower as on controller).

I'm not sure why? Could someone provide info how to imptove? I feel like I'm doing something fundamentally wrong but I have not idea what.

The steering wheel is new, should it be updated on PC?

I'd connect your pedals to a PC and calibrate them to how you want your braking to feel. Keep an eye on your brake and throttle meter to see if its acting as you'd want it to act.

Updating the wheel is a good idea either way.

It seems controllers may have counter-steering set regardless of settings. Try changing your settings a bit - turning on/off TCS, counter steering, other assists. And/Or post your wheel settings so the t300 people can chime in.

Hi, after 7 hours playing today I still do 1:31:500 on circuit experience at Laguna seca (2 seconds slower as on controller).

I'm not sure why? Could someone provide info how to imptove? I feel like I'm doing something fundamentally wrong but I have not idea what.

Turn off CSA, ASM and leave ABS at Default and TC at 1. That counter steering assist in my opinion messes big time with a wheel and makes it harder to drive. Other than that is getting used to it.

Honestly mate, that is one of the most asked questions in all of sim racing. Simple answer? It takes a lot more practice than you might think it does. It certainly took me at least a month before I felt as good on a wheel as I did on controller.

But its not really about speed, its about immersion and consistency. Once you get used to it, you'll find it more engaging than controller ever was and naturally you will become a better driver because of it. Stick at it :)

Last edited:
Don't worry about settings, updating it or plugging it into a pc. Just drive with it, enjoy it and get used to how it feels. It will take a couple of weeks, you will get there and you will get faster over time.

Last edited:
It takes time to get used to it, but you will and be faster with the wheel.

One of the things that took me the longest to get used to was left foot braking. If you're not doing that, you're losing a bunch of time moving the right foot back and forth while the left foot does nothing.

Hi m8 yes you should update it's firmware on a pc & and don't give up after 7 hrs 7 weeks would be a better time scale you have to build up the muscle memory. And don't think its all about the wheel inputs a lot of the steering is done on the throttle and it takes many many hours practicing and a smooth and gentle touch. Also don't have loads of ffb so you have to fight it around the turns ;)

I have a t300rs, they're rather good.
First, make sure the firmware is fully updated.
Second, make sure it is in the correct mode for your console; I hadn't at first and it makes a difference!
(Wheelbase has multiple console modes activited by different button combo's as well as PC mode....)
Third, remember it's not a controller and you need to rebuild muscle memory for it.
Best tip: pick a car close to what you drive irl (if you do) and practice until it feels 'right', Suzuka is good.

Don't worry about speed at first, concentrate on being smooth; the speed will come naturally once you become smooth and start thinking "I can go faster on that corner".

Thanks guys for all the answers. I feel like I do not quite understand what the FFB tries to communicate me, when i could push it harder etc.

I'll practice more today. Yesterday I felt bad and disappointed

Just make sure you disable at least the counter steering assist. That thing completely messes up the feedback of what the car is actually doing and for me at least it makes near impossible to recover from when the car threatens to spin.

Honestly took me months of using a wheel to get anywhere near my controller times once I switched to it.
Even tho my laps felt smoother and more controlled, I was so much slower and it was driving me crazy - no pun intended.

You will get faster tho, but 7 hours is nothing.

Honestly took me months of using a wheel to get anywhere near my controller times once I switched to it.
Even tho my laps felt smoother and more controlled, I was so much slower and it was driving me crazy - no pun intended.

You will get faster tho, but 7 hours is nothing.

Usually people think they will be instantly faster once they move over to a wheel but that just isn’t the case. There is a adaptation period when going from “arcade” with a controller over to “simcade” with a wheel in GT. It’s pretty much a apples to oranges scenario.

Today I've played another 7 hours and I must say that the level of experience is at another level. This wheel is adictive :P

I managed to reach 1:29:600 at Laguna Seca , still 1 sec off to gold but that was also my fastest lap on controller. This circuit experience is just extremely hard.

I did two golds on big willow and integralos, and this is so unbeliveably satisfying...

I was driving today 200 km with my real car so I've put attention to how does the real car feel. It also helps.

And also I've checked few tutorials on how to drive on the wheel. It's funny how obvius and intuitiv was driving with the controller after 20 years of playing gran turismo :P

One thing that I found weird is that the FFB doesn't transfer the surface, I mean curbs etc to the wheel. Curbs feel flat, no FFB.

I've go the same wheel, had it for a month. I'm pretty slow still but I can't go back to the controller, the immersion with the wheel is too good.
One thing I'd recommend doing is a long race (10-15 laps) with a car you like. Just try and better your lap times, you'll start to get a feel for it more.

I
Today I've played another 7 hours and I must say that the level of experience is at another level. This wheel is adictive :P

I managed to reach 1:29:600 at Laguna Seca , still 1 sec off to gold but that was also my fastest lap on controller. This circuit experience is just extremely hard.

I did two golds on big willow and integralos, and this is so unbeliveably satisfying...

I was driving today 200 km with my real car so I've put attention to how does the real car feel. It also helps.

And also I've checked few tutorials on how to drive on the wheel. It's funny how obvius and intuitiv was driving with the controller after 20 years of playing gran turismo :P

One thing that I found weird is that the FFB doesn't transfer the surface, I mean curbs etc to the wheel. Curbs feel flat, no FFB.
It really is loads of fun. Much better than a controller.

first wheel?

im a recent convert, it took me about a week of play to get used to it. im still a little slower than i was before but im way more smooth and precise around corners

Good to see you like it ;) its not always about times enjoyment is just as important. FFb is a little lacking atm but it does the job i don't feel the kerbs either. Did you check its firmware just to be sure ? and don't forget to look through psn and always grab the free driving games they give away dirt5 and dirt rally2 were free and work good with a wheel and it can be helpful to feel how other games handles their FFB

I have also recently tried Gran Turismo with a wheel (G29).
It is shocking how steering system with a controller is easier than with a wheel. I never realised they are so different.
I thought I will be more precise, but I still lack the feel. The force feedback communicates the wheels loosing grip but when it does it is already too late and I have to fight to keep control of the car and the laptime is ruined.

After two weeks trying I ran out of ideas how to improve and I'm aware two weeks is nothing after 25 years with controller, but I could really use some good tutorial.

I think a good idea to learn wheel is to start with all assists on and then slowly start turning them off.

Also, do the license tests. Even if you already did, do them again!

Last edited:
I think a good idea to learn wheel is to start with all assists on and then slowly start turning them off.

Also, do the license tests. Even if you already did, do them again!
YES, absolutely also my recommendation to renew the licenses, because you learn bit by bit how to drive a car with a bike. It's like learning to ride a bike, or learn a new language... in very small steps, first the basics and then the real exams.

It takes time... and patience. It is also better to know in advance what is likely to happen to the car in the near future so that you can react when it does. If you only react when you see/hear/feel it, it may already be too late. That's called experience and that comes with time, you have to know how the car behaves and what the track is like.

The biggest "danger" is having already played a game with the controller and then playing it with the steering wheel, it all feels weird, also switching games is not a good idea in this learning phase in my opinion. Everyone has to decide that for themselves, of course, but I would only stick to one game until I get used to it.

As I said, the update of the steering wheel is important, especially the T300 seems to react a bit strangely if it's not up to date with GT7.

Maybe the tip.... DO NOT tense up.. some effects are extremely thin to almost not noticeable (at least on my T248) you can feel some things better if it is only guided with fingertips.

I don't know about the feedback at Nords in GT7 but in Sport, it felt like the most detailed track by far. If it's the same again, it'll probably be the best location to build some muscle memory.

Learn the track

Adjust your wheel settings

Put ghost on at all times

I always try to squeeze as much time as you can

Try to watch onboard videos especially tracks like Monza, Lemans and Spa

It takes time to get used to the wheel.

Last edited:
Done! Gold achieved 1:28:500

I've updated the firmware to the newest ver. 34 and adjusted FFB settings to 4/2

I've watched also some videos on youtube about braking, how important it is. (thanks for the link)

The way I drove was very conscious, I assume on controller it would be luck if I did it.

So, wheel is overall better than controller.

I recomend T300 RS GT, if someone want to buy first wheel.

It's just the beginning...

And Laguna is one of the toughest tests because there's a fine line between right and wrong, the braking really has to work and the steering angle can also be crucial.

I congratulate you.

I have a t300rs, they're rather good.
First, make sure the firmware is fully updated.
Second, make sure it is in the correct mode for your console; I hadn't at first and it makes a difference!
(Wheelbase has multiple console modes activited by different button combo's as well as PC mode....)
Third, remember it's not a controller and you need to rebuild muscle memory for it.
Best tip: pick a car close to what you drive irl (if you do) and practice until it feels 'right', Suzuka is good.

Don't worry about speed at first, concentrate on being smooth; the speed will come naturally once you become smooth and start thinking "I can go faster on that corner".

The issue I can see is when I am using the wheel I can’t seem to hit 6th gear it stays in 5th, on the controller no problem the car will go to the 6th gear, why is there a issue when using a the wheel on automatic ?

Back