Bram Turismo's Toyota GT86

I can't tell you how many hours I spent trying to remove hot rubber over the past few years. Now, I don't even bother. I just wash it after an event and once a year I bring it to a detail place where they give it a full claybar, paint correction, sealant, wax, etc. And let me tell you, there's a reason why all three sets of wheels I have for this car are black. 👍:sly:

To remove the rubber, I use a CarPro TarX. I spray a little bit into a cloth, and gentle rub the rubber. It comes off with the first wipe, it's incredible how it's impossible to get off with a regular car shampoo, but with this it just disappears in a single swipe! Definitely get some of that 👍

I can only feel the braking through the pedal, not the steering column. It brakes fine, it's just that the pedal gives some strange feedback. Zolder is tremendously hard on the brakes, though. I wouldn't at all be surprised if my pads I got replaced are already worn down...

Speaking of rims, I think I've found a set I'd like to match with the white paint and the boxer sound:

$_59.JPG

To each his own I guess, but I think that looks just dropdead gorgeous. They are expensive, but I've wanted new wheels for so long now. If I get them, I'd keep the original wheels for MOT passings, and then slap these on with some 235/40R17 semi slicks. Haven't looked up yet if I can get these in 17x8. That seems like a nice size for a 235 tyre. And then install a set of TOM's taillights and it's perfect as far as I'm concerned.

The guys who turn up their noses at them are probably the people who primarily attend cars and coffee events, who have their Instagram hashtags on their cars, who are documenting their track exploits for their YouTube channel, desperate for more subs, and they do the occasional track event, while talking into the camera for their fans.
I think in this case it's more that the trackdays I go to are organised by our magazine, and our readership is reasonably affluent, so tend to turn up in more expensive cars. Not unusual at all to see three or four GT3s on our days, often a BAC Mono, Exiges etc. I've had a few people come up and tell me they used to own MX-5s, but most have moved on to much more expensive track toys since...

To remove the rubber, I use a CarPro TarX. I spray a little bit into a cloth, and gentle rub the rubber. It comes off with the first wipe, it's incredible how it's impossible to get off with a regular car shampoo, but with this it just disappears in a single swipe! Definitely get some of that 👍

I used to use a Nanolux product specially for this. But even there I had to scrub and wipe if it was more than 2-3 months since the car was waxed.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/products/nanolex-race-film-remover-750ml

The wheels look nice. But just check how much they weigh before you commit. The less unsprung weight, the more you'll appreciate it on track.

It's possible you may have gone through a set of pads. Now that you're on sticky tires, you'll go through them quicker. 👍

So, short post on my daily driver, the Ford Focus. It's received a good beating as of lately. I've effectively used it for 8 months now, and I've put 40,000km on it. Being on many construction sites every day, I need not say how much dirt and grime this car sees on a daily basis. Thought it deserved a good treatment, and a perfect subject as my first car to compound. I got myself a DAP V3 900W DA polisher, some medium cut polish pads, and a 1-step compound in Scholl's S20 Black. I wanted to start with a very light abbrasive, one that is forgiving since I needed to learn how to wield the polisher. Started with the hood, and that was a complete mess. But I tried a few different approaches on various sections on the hood, and the day after I did the whole car as I got a feel for the machine.

I think it turned out pretty good for a first try. Only minor scratches to be honest, except some deep ones on the boot. Anyway, finished the paint off with Soft99's Fusso Coat. I wanted something durable and ultra-hydrofobic, since winter's coming.

30562536757_37d1f100c2_z.jpg

44589105575_e29a4eb874_z.jpg

30562495857_a8144642d0_z.jpg

45502879411_ca7235c2a0_z.jpg

30562416647_119030efb6_z.jpg

44777324164_9e8e1167cf_z.jpg

43685828510_804d67140b_z.jpg

45451720702_46a60f88c0_z.jpg

30562456947_46fa2f9ddf_z.jpg

45502930431_1bb9f8c8e1_z.jpg

Next test subject is a Mercedes CLA. Had the impression that had softer paint, so I'm going to experiment with different pad hardness', and working time.

So this is on the way:

frs-equal_set_l.jpg

The car has been taken out of traffic since 2 weeks ago, so I'll save insurance costs and half a year worth of taxes which I plan to put into the car. The insurance and tax saved is going to go to an Open Flash Tablet, and a custom mapping for the car.

In terms of mods, I think the header, OFT and tune is all I'm planning for 2019. I'd love to get a set of wheels, but they're too expensive. So unless life takes a 180 degree in terms of income, the wheels is something that I don't need as of yet. For next year I'd just like to stick to the above mods and have it serviced, I reckon the brake pads are worn again, maybe even the discs.

This winter I'm going to remove all the badges off the car, give the paint a compound as it's kind of full of love marks. I'll swap out the original antenna for a sharkfin antenna as well. For the rest, I'm hoping to visit the track a bit less often, and do rally's and roadtrips more often. Just enjoy the car again with friends.

In terms of sound, I may hit the nail on the head with this combo. I'm keeping the stock frontpipe with the catalytic converter so that the car still passes MOT without having to constantly swap out parts. The piping between the header and exhaust are also staying original. So the car won't be too loud, still passes MOT, but coupled with the Milltek exhaust I think it's really going to sound like a deep rumble. Most exhausts for this car sound really sharp, but Milltek's exhaust has a very deep sound, so it may or may not sound absolutely great with a UEL header.

Been a long time since the last upgrade, but things are getting underway again. It's been sat in the garage since October, but in April I've planned a lot for it.

Today I switched out the stock flasher for a new flasher relay so that I can tap indicate. I've also ordered an armrest for it, which is due to arrive this week. I'll probably do some bits and bobs here and there, and then in April I'll put it in for maintenance after which I'll be installing the header and install a custom tune for it. In June I'm going to a roadtrip through Norway with my mates Cayman S, so we're pretty much going to be driving through fjords in some of the best possible driver's cars to be using. Can't say how much I'm looking forward to it!

Norway will be such a great drive I reckon. Dont forget to drive the Trollstigen and the atlantic road if you can.

Keep me in the loop if you plan on going to Zolder again. Would be cool to see if I clould go then as well.

Norway will be such a great drive I reckon. Dont forget to drive the Trollstigen and the atlantic road if you can.

Keep me in the loop if you plan on going to Zolder again. Would be cool to see if I clould go then as well.

I'm almost every trackday at Zolder right now, only not in the car. Lately I do quite some photography at the track:

40131584943_f3d9a87610.jpg
46317285415_36b6dbb4ea.jpg

Last trackday hammered the car quiet a bit, so I'll be visiting some trackdays with the car, but keeping the sessions shorter. I hope to fulfill my dream of driving it at Spa this year, though...

Hit me up when you're going! 👍

Spa is my goal too this year haha. I'll be sure to hit you up if I go to either of the Belgian tracks.

So my armrest came in yesterday, will be installing it in the next few days. I seem to be nervous to be drilling holes in my interior...

This is also ordered:

led-feux-de-recul-toyota-gt-86-tuning_15191.jpg

Will be the last halogen light to be changed out, then every light will be a fresh white LED light.

I've also ordered some custom aluminium door sills to replace the plastic stock ones. Pictures will follow once I've received some news.

So my armrest came in yesterday, will be installing it in the next few days. I seem to be nervous to be drilling holes in my interior...

I would be too. Especially in my car where the centre arm rest is directly above the fuel tank. Yes... the fuel tank sits in between the driver and passenger in the MR2.

Those LEDs will make the car look way nicer.

I would be too. Especially in my car where the centre arm rest is directly above the fuel tank. Yes... the fuel tank sits in between the driver and passenger in the MR2.

That's nuts!

The armrest is installed, looks so nicely in place. Now I think back to when there was no armrest, I don't know why Toyota didn't make it standard for the car from the get-go.

My paycheck is pretty much gone already for this month, because yesterday I made a deal on one of these:

initialize.jpg

Tomorrow I'm sorting out the re-registration, and then I'll make an appointment with Toyota for a big service. After that, I'm pretty much set to fit the header and finally doing that boxer engine some justice.

Since I'm replacing the door sills, and I will be temporarily removing the emblems anyway, it got me thinking how I'm going to replace the emblems. Either way I'm only keeping an emblem in the middle of the rear, but which emblem is the question. Since the 86 logo is engraved onto the new custom door sills, I was thinking of placing an 86 logo on the back. I could have one made out of aluminium, or alter the original GT86 logo so that only the 86 bit remains.

What do you guys think?

Since I'm replacing the door sills, and I will be temporarily removing the emblems anyway, it got me thinking how I'm going to replace the emblems. Either way I'm only keeping an emblem in the middle of the rear, but which emblem is the question. Since the 86 logo is engraved onto the new custom door sills, I was thinking of placing an 86 logo on the back. I could have one made out of aluminium, or alter the original GT86 logo so that only the 86 bit remains.

What do you guys think?

Maybe order one from FT86 speedfactory?

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/toyota-86-oe-style-fender-emblems-2013-fr-s-brz-86.html

They have quite a few to choose from. Might be cleaner than DIY'ing or having something custom made.

Maybe order one from FT86 speedfactory?

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/toyota-86-oe-style-fender-emblems-2013-fr-s-brz-86.html

They have quite a few to choose from. Might be cleaner than DIY'ing or having something custom made.

With all respect, but most parts off that shop are a complete rip-off. Those guys will charge you $100 for a gauge cluster backdrop swap, which is literally a piece of paper.

Door sill install. Pretty straight forward, the plastic bits popped right off, undo the clips, clean the area and attach the new sills.

46529147615_b83d812765.jpg

40478512223_c217f5071a.jpg

46721362444_edca8e084e.jpg

46529147565_a774c1b384.jpg

40478512123_5d271793d9.jpg

46721362394_19cf5d92fd.jpg

40478512053_edd61d90ab.jpg

Some small bits and bobs, but it makes the interior somewhat more interesting.

Last edited:
Big update!

Got my brake calipers repainted in Brembo red, which match the red stitching in the interior. I could've spray-can painted it myself, but I decided to go the extra mile and get something that'll last a long time. I also had the header and the stage 2 tune installed today. It's gotten a lot louder, but it's producing exactly the noise I wanted from this car. In its current state I feel this is how they should sold the car from the get-go, or as a second performance level: grippier tyres, more torque and horsepower, and a more pronounced sound to the car.

47843180081_79719df9de_z.jpg

46926875545_4a8ed0a396_z.jpg

upload_2019-5-13_20-27-7.png

Some really epic shots. Some of the landscape reminds me of the south island of NZ.

Glad to hear the tune is working well, nothing worse than a car breaking down on a long trip.

Must have been an epic trip. Great pics. Is that the Trolstigen?

Nope, sadly I completely overlooked the Trollstigen. I was camping only 30 minutes from it, but I only had 2 days in the valley of Geiranger. Although, the road from the camping in Eidsdal to Geiranger was equally stunning. That road is also known as the "Eagle curve".

Some really epic shots. Some of the landscape reminds me of the south island of NZ.

Glad to hear the tune is working well, nothing worse than a car breaking down on a long trip.

I pushed the car to 247km/h in Germany while being fully loaded, so it definitely has a bit more punch now. But these tunes are tweaked so often that my guess this is a very safe tune.

Holy crap, Norway has some fantastic landscapes!

Even more so incredible when thinking that I had rain, sun, snow, I walked on a glacier, I threw snowballs and yet it was 20 degrees Celcius in the valley. The variation of the landscape and weather in each valley is baffeling at times.

Some photos from my latest trackday at Circuit Zolder last Sunday. @PASM was at the track on Wednesday. Would've loved to have met up with him, but I couldn't get excused from work that day unfortunately.

I did not time my laps, but the one lap I counted when passing the start-finish line was a 2:05 with traffic. I think if I have enough courage and there's no traffic, I could do a 2:02 I reckon. The stage 2 helps a little bit with the extra torque down low, but ultimately it needs raw power.

That said, I really had a blast. This was the best trackday to date. Got it serviced 2 weeks ago, and it received some 5W30 fluids. The brakes lasted far longer than I expected. Except for the pure engine power, I was keeping up with Megane RS', Focus RS', and I left 2 Golf GTI's behind.

48252373551_657de1813f_z.jpg

48252439357_9b9d964998_z.jpg

48252439472_3546cf77ce_z.jpg

48252373876_46f74e47b0_z.jpg

48252439862_5df48e8d3e_z.jpg

It's amazing how Toyota (and Subaru) really nailed it with the 86..! I guess the only thing it really lacked was a higher power (turbo!) option. Still seems like a fun car!

2nd last and last pic are amazing.

It's amazing how Toyota (and Subaru) really nailed it with the 86..! I guess the only thing it really lacked was a higher power (turbo!) option. Still seems like a fun car!

2nd last and last pic are amazing.

I guess when you're staying with a Focus RS and Megane RS, only to lose out to them on the straights, I guess it shows just how good this car behaves. On sports tyres the car behaves so well, the understeer you get with the original tyres is gone. You trade in the playfulness of the rear, though, but when the tyres are hot it still wiggles its tail about.

The thing I like most about the stage 2 tune is the overall driveability of the car. It's just such a more enjoyable car, because that huge torque dip is gone so the car actually moves at lower revs.

Here's a clip from a driving tour I took part in last month:

You'll see my car at 2:35. Is a pretty decent soundclip of what the car sounds like in its current state.
I brought it in for the valve spring recall this week. Got new spark plugs installed in the same go, and had the clutch inspected thoroughly.

What is the actual issue with the valve springs? I can't find the original problem for it online. Only other things about it.

What is the actual issue with the valve springs? I can't find the original problem for it online. Only other things about it.

I've no idea. The only thing I know is that every 2012 model got recalled, and I had to do it, I had no choice. I waited as long as I could as there were some horror stories passing around about mechanics not putting the engine back properly, greasing the gaskets too much, etc. A lot of owners blew their engines short after the recall.

Luckily, the garage I go to build Olivier Muytjens' GT86, who drives in the VLN series, so they know this engine in and out. They are also the guys that always check my car before I go out on the track.

I also forgot to add in my previous post I took part in my first ever drifting course with the car:

71341584_391536131531093_1901413143272226816_o.jpg

The springs were prone to failure due to poor QC and would cause the engine to stall once the part failed.

The springs were prone to failure due to poor QC and would cause the engine to stall once the part failed.
So a snapped or deformed spring?

I've no idea. The only thing I know is that every 2012 model got recalled, and I had to do it, I had no choice. I waited as long as I could as there were some horror stories passing around about mechanics not putting the engine back properly, greasing the gaskets too much, etc. A lot of owners blew their engines short after the recall.

Luckily, the garage I go to build Olivier Muytjens' GT86, who drives in the VLN series, so they know this engine in and out. They are also the guys that always check my car before I go out on the track.
Ah right, that's a little scary. It was the only thing I could find, not sealing the front cover properly or over doing the sealant. Good thing you had it done by people who know how to put them back together properly. Gone are the days of rubber seals/gaskets for parts like these.

So a snapped or deformed spring?

The Subaru service bulletin, as I recall, said "cracked" but I'll double check and edit this post in the morning when the Subaru Service dept opens up.

*edit*
Speaking to the Tech that does it, the valve springs are on cars affected are prone to cracking due to poor QC from the supplier. Not all will do them but all are to be inspected and replaced if need-be.

Last edited:
Back