Break balance

• Thread starter Jianka
  • 4 comments
Italy
Italy
As a newbie can anyone explain me how to correctly set the break balance? When is better positive and when negative?
Thanks

I adjust it to compensate for the tire wear of a certain type of car usually. If the front wears quicker after a couple laps i might set the rear stronger by 1 or maybe even 2 and vice versa if the rear wears quicker.
I may even change balance back towards the neutral or towards the front after trying to save the fronts for the first few laps on a set of tires to try and eke a little more grip out towards the end of a race to gain a slight advantage. Depending if that feels like a viable strategy or not.
In a no wear race or in a daily qualifying lap I tend to balance towards the front or neutral to gain a few metres less braking distance in a straight line and hopefully gain some turn in, and lose the rear end a little less. But maybe the opposite if the car is MR depending on the car.
Usually +1 to the rear in a high wear race just to try and save the fronts a little bit towards the end of a race or set of tires.

Experiment with it and feel for yourself how it affects the car under braking and on turn in.
Then you can adjust it according to you own driving style and preference.

The problem with giving general advice on this is that every car/track/driver combination has an ideal setting and what works for one player can be wrong for another. Tyre wear and driver assists also has an impact on what makes an ideal setting.
Some players adjust the brake balance for each individual braking zone and it's quite effective at negating the negative effects
of uneven front/rear tyre wear.

Rear brake balance (+5): allows more rotation of the car during braking, reduces tire wear a little bit on front tires, but your car will slide more when braking + turning.
Front brake balance (-5): creates more understeer when braking, increased tire wear on front tires, reduced tire wear on rear tires, will help prevent sliding when braking + turning.

FR cars usually need more rear bias for better trail braking (turning while braking)
MR cars might need more front bias, to prevent too much oversteer when turning + braking
AWD cars I think need more rear bias to help rotate better when turning + braking
FF cars also need more rear bias to rotate better when turning + braking and also helps reduce front tire wear

Back