Breaking In New Cars

• Thread starter OpticZero
  • 48 comments
United States
Malibu
I have a question about the Break-In period after buying a new car. As with GT5, changing the oil raises HP; but unlike GT5 I am not noticing an increase in power after running laps during Online Races. I ran a few miles in Test Drive but it only increased my mileage, not my power. I noticed an increase when I ran a Career Mode race. A 6.5 mile run gave me a couple PP. However, when I ran an Online Race the mileage went up as expected, but my PP didn't change. I did a small test and here are my findings.

Test 2.0 - Audi R18

Original Numbers after Oil Change
PP - 636
HP - 579
Torques - 718.7
Mileage - 0.0

Test 1 - Test Drive 13.1 Miles…no power increase. 5 laps at High Speed Ring.

Test 2 - Offline (Career) Race 6.4 Miles…PP increase of 2 PP to 638PP; no HP increase. 3 laps at Matterhorn Dristelen.

Test 3 - Online Practice/Race for 37 Miles…no power increase. 8 (about 20 Miles) Racing Laps at High Speed RIng.

Initial Conclusions - Test Drive and Online Racing show no power increases. Offline Races show power increase. 56.5 Total miles driven with an increase of 2 PP with Career Mode only.

Any thoughts???

I have also done some testing. I ran a Civic for a few miles for a few career races and then decided to "break it in" as we needed to do in GT5. I put a bunch of additional miles on it but it never got a boost in power. It had a few aftermarket parts and an oil change, so I thought that might have been an issue. So I bought a new Camaro to run the Muscle Car races, with no oil change or upgrades, 100% stock. The car did not gain any power after all three races were finished. I gave it an oil change and it went up in both HP and PP. I ran few more races after the oil change and it did never gained more power. I have also never noticed any power being added to any of my cars in any of the online races I race.

My conclusion??? The engine "break in" is no longer required. If I did something wrong or someone else has different data, please let us all know.

In conclusion, oil change.

At the least, do it to every car you get that you plan to drive.

Makes it a lot easier when playing online, you can just take it out of your garage and install all the parts in the tuning sheet. You will get max HP and PP.

Done over 200 miles in my KTM in Free Run via the Garage, & the HP definitely increased. Can't remember the exact numbers off hand though.

I haven't seen a power increase with any mileage yet either. Only the oil change, and the starting powers and PP increase seem to be the same as in GT5. At least i haven't seen more than a 1 PP or 1 HP difference yet.

Now power option PP increases and HP increases do seem different for some cars.

Are we for sure Its out? I broke in my pagani anniversary car. Wasat like 1110 hp. Put 250 miles on it it's up to 1234
That's over an 11% increase. Theck it at the same location, or are you comparing listed specs with garage checked specs?

They differ often...

---edit---

That car only has like 750 HP. What are you looking at?

That's over an 11% increase. Theck it at the same location, or are you comparing listed specs with garage checked specs?

They differ often...

---edit---

That car only has like 750 HP. What are you looking at?
are u talking about the anniversary one? Mine is 1, 234 hp

Me & my buddy just tested this theory. I broke in a vision Mercedes. 250 miles upgraded every power part & oil changed. I got 1, 101 HP

my buddy upgraded all parts took it to oil change boom 1, 101 hp. His had 0 miles

I'm willing to test this out with anyone else if they want to give it a try? Only thing I ask is let it be a car both of us will want. Because I don't want to buy a car for the sake of testing this theory. We can buy a car we choose. I'll upgrade everything & oil change out the gate. Other person buys car puts miles on it then oil changes. Let's see if there is any difference? Any takers? We could try this on some anniversary cars if we don't want to buy them...

I'll test a car when I have more money, to run a high power one and see if there is marginal torque change.

As it stands, I haven't yet witnessed a "break-in" increase.

Break is still in the game change your oil first thing you get a car then drive 200+miles then change again then youll see the increase

Break is still in the game change your oil first thing you get a car then drive 200+miles then change again then youll see the increase

Are you saying that the increase will not even show up until after the oil change is completed after running 200 miles?

Something screwy is going on... Horsepower is randomly going up and down on cars..

1. look at hp -> oil change -> 200 miles -> oil change -> look at hp

or

2. look at hp -> oil change -> look at hp -> 200 miles -> oil change -> look at hp

If you did the first, the increase in hp was from the oil change

Guys I'm saying it doesn't matter what you do it doesn't affect it either way. Case in point. Buddy bought 12 black edition. Broke it in & oil changed. Has 1121 hp. I bought car just now threw all parts on it. Took it to oil change 1121 hp with 0 miles

I haven't get in it yet, but the data in the garage on mine says 750 HP.

We are talking about the same car, right?
Pagani Huayra 15th Anniv '13

Same car. It's fully modded now with oil change. Finished at 1234hp
Stock or modded?

[quote.f_399, post: 9058517, member: 147363"]Yeah but some people are convinced there is break in lol

Let them make their own lobbies lapping route x for no reason.[/quote]
Agreed I've given enough info & facts in this thread. If you doubt them. Then I implore you to try these out with a friend or buy two of the same car & try it

I'm back to thinking the break-in mileage is not needed.
I agree, unless the car doesn't even start to gain power past 300 km.

I just saved my game to USB so i could drive that Pagani. This way I can resore my game. i prefer not to drive the special cars unless I have to.

Anyway...

Started at 0 km with 627 PP, 750 HP, and 829.1 ft/lbs. Oil change took it to 634 PP, 787 HP, and 870.6 ft/lbs. I then added all removable power items and took it up to 674 PP, 1102 HP, and 1,056.0 ft lbs.

Ran 5 laps Stage x, no change. Changed oil, no change. Over 153 km at this point.

Ran another 5 laps. Changed gearing a little. Both runs at 457 kph top speed on the flats. No change in states, did another oil change. No change. Now at 307.7 km (191.1 miles). GT 5 had top break in at 300 km.

Looks like I'm going to waste another 20 minutes of racing (4 minute laps) to see if there is any change.

Just looked at the Stage 3 upgrade. It will take me to 1234 HP if I install it...

edit add...

Nothing spectacular, YOUTUBE finally processed it. From my first race, have a few laughs.

I seldom lose control of a car like this, and I know there are far better flips, rolls, etc.

edit add...

OK, third 5 laps around Stage X...

No change...

Last edited:
Back