Bring Back The Racing Mod

• Thread starter Voodoovaj
  • 68 comments
Canada
London, Ontario
voodoovaj
The one thing I miss most from GT's of the past is the racing mod. Remember when you could modify a car, and then the last step was the race mod, which turned your car into a full fledged race car?

Well, given that GTSport introduced the GR classes, and elevated their popularity, I'd like to see an official return tot he race modification for most cars. Swap out the suspension and downforce and match it to what is in the GR classes, and officially switch the designation from "road car" to whatever class people have switched to.

Yes, I know that there are purists out there who dislike the "fake" additions to the classes, and I get it. I totally do, but the game is what it is. It's not a Blancpain endurance simulator, so why not giv'r and go full bore?

This would get more use from most of the cars in the garage. I'd love to switch my Ferrari GTO over to GR3. Lamborghini Countach in GR4? Yes please.

This is already more or less allowed in the single player. I use a modded Pagani Huyara for PP800 GR3 races, and i plan to build more cars for those races. I might build a modded Fiat Abarth for GR4. Seems to me it's not that difficult an item to add.

Maybe even add another race group for slower cars and vintage cars? GR 5 and GR 6

Thoughts?

Honestly I genuinely hoped this would be part of the game when I saw there was a Gr.4 Suzuki Swift. It makes so much sense, and fits so well.

Even if it was only a handful of cars and if it was only Gr.4 (as perhaps gr3 and upwards are too different to the stock cars), being able to homologate them and use them in Gr.4 races with BoP applied is just a fun concept - and gives you something to work towards. Would also increase the field variety tenfold.

I agree, IMO it was missed opportunnity to not allow us to give tuned cars Gr. designations.

I have tuned period correct Viper GTS/Rs and Porsche 993 GT2 Evos that keep up with Gr.3 cars and even surpass them in many cases.
Yes, and I don't know why it was missed. The tuning shop has half the parts, and GT Auto has the rest. If I put all the racing parts on a car, and then I go to GT Auto, put on tow hooks, roll bar, and wings, shouldn't that be a race car?

This is probably why the widebody mod came up. Still, why not have both? I'd love both. I'd sure want more cars!! One for road, one for race.

It's like they thought about it, but then pulled it or failed to follow through.

I REALLY hope they add this in the future.

Last edited:
My guess is PD didn't implement it for one of these two reasons; the first reason being that they did get negative feedback in the GT5 days for only having a handful of cars with RM option. The second, and much more likely reason, is that you can add roll cages, tow hooks, etc. in GT Auto so PD probably assumed that would be enough to sate people.

I personally would just like the option to add racing gauges from GT6 and to be able to replace the steering wheel with a lightweight racing wheel. Those two options along with what we have would sate me personally.

And as I think about it, I'm not sure there would be a need for people to ask for RMs back if PD were actually go the NFS route with customization, but like the GT titles before it, PD is behind the times when it comes to customization. Both car, and driver customization.

Last edited:
The one thing I miss most from GT's of the past is the racing mod. Remember when you could modify a car, and then the last step was the race mod, which turned your car into a full fledged race car?

Well, given that GTSport introduced the GR classes, and elevated their popularity, I'd like to see an official return tot he race modification for most cars. Swap out the suspension and downforce and match it to what is in the GR classes, and officially switch the designation from "road car" to whatever class people have switched to.

Yes, I know that there are purists out there who dislike the "fake" additions to the classes, and I get it. I totally do, but the game is what it is. It's not a Blancpain endurance simulator, so why not giv'r and go full bore?

This would get more use from most of the cars in the garage. I'd love to switch my Ferrari GTO over to GR3. Lamborghini Countach in GR4? Yes please.

This is already more or less allowed in the single player. I use a modded Pagani Huyara for PP800 GR3 races, and i plan to build more cars for those races. I might build a modded Fiat Abarth for GR4. Seems to me it's not that difficult an item to add.

Maybe even add another race group for slower cars and vintage cars? GR 5 and GR 6

Thoughts?
It’d be great if they allowed that, with the caveat that they’d have to ditch their own ‘fake’ Gr cars first (incl the road car versions). If I built a Gr3 or Gr4 WRX and their own ‘fake’ versions of both were kept in the game it’d be a bit confusing, and kinda defeat the object anyway. I wouldn’t mind if it was my self-built R8 version, say, alongside the real R8 LMS, would be good to compare, but no point in keeping the fakes around.

It’d be great if they allowed that, with the caveat that they’d have to ditch their own ‘fake’ Gr cars first (incl the road car versions). If I built a Gr3 or Gr4 WRX and their own ‘fake’ versions of both were kept in the game it’d be a bit confusing, and kinda defeat the object anyway. I wouldn’t mind if it was my self-built R8 version, say, alongside the real R8 LMS, would be good to compare, but no point in keeping the fakes around.
For those cars, they could either remove the option for the car, or remove the gr4/gr3 car from the dealership.

I would be ok with just removing the option and telling people "this car is available in brand central". No sense upsetting the apple cart.

They didn't do it because the tournaments require the cookie-cutter, standard Gr.4 and Gr.3 cars which need to be balanced for online racing. If they added too many cars, it becomes a nightmare to balance.

Another reason is that, if you look at how Shift 2 did it, with a "works conversion" for each and every car, it would require PD to model hundreds of unique bodykits, and you know they're not gonna do that. Add a Countach and people will want the Diablo, then the Murciélago...

IMO Gr.4 cars are redundant and useless in GT7, or in any game with an upgrade system, because they are road cars with some bits removed. The only ones that make sense are the G70, the RCZ and the Atenza. Gr.3 cars on the other hand are far removed from a standard road car. You can't simply "race mod" a road car. Some of the GT3 cars IRL have extensive modifications to the point it isn't even the same car anymore. It's Group 5 lite.

Absolutely. Even if it's the same generic race mod we had in the past it would be great. I don't see why they couldn't give us different levels of race modification though. Depending on the car you choose there are a couple different classes you can mod it into... Take your '92 NSX and decide whether you want to make it a Gr. 4. Gr. 3, or Gr. 2 machine. Maybe a Gr. 1 option for the 650PP+ (stock) super/hyper cars. Rally mod for AWD vehicles. It would be a lot of work, but man would it open up so many possibilities...

I really wish Polyphony was a 3rd-party studio and GT7 had an offline Steam release... The awesome things the modding community could come up with would give the game (all of the series, really) an indefinite life span. Dozens of different "flavors" of career mode's, whatever championship one could dream of, modding cars into the game we've never had in the series, adding tracks we've never had, 8k texture packs for those that have RTX 3080's... The game would be better in every way imaginable.

Thoughts?
Yes @Voodoovaj !
This was the thing that 13-year-old me looked forward to in the old games!
I was always so disappointed when you couldn't race mod a car.

Fuel efficiency disagrees
But this is a setting that the devs give to the GR4 cars. If you do the upgrade, one of the items you get could be a new fuel efficiency values. Just like they would have to change other chassis values (like downforce and suspension)

Absolutely. Even if it's the same generic race mod we had in the past it would be great. I don't see why they couldn't give us different levels of race modification though. Depending on the car you choose there are a couple different classes you can mod it into... Take your '92 NSX and decide whether you want to make it a Gr. 4. Gr. 3, or Gr. 2 machine.
For some, why not? It could just be another way to get the car. For example, you could buy a GR4 or GR3 NSX, as you can now, or you can take you stock NSX and mod it up. When you buy the GR3/4 mod, you get the same car that's in the dealership.

Not much different that buying a car in the UCD or in Brand Central. It might be a more expensive way to go, but I don't think people will care that much.

Maybe a Gr. 1 option for the 650PP+ (stock) super/hyper cars. Rally mod for AWD vehicles. It would be a lot of work, but man would it open up so many possibilities...
Or, as I mentioned, even more classes, but yes, this.

There's a GR B skyline, mustang, NSX....you can see that it was an idea at some point.

Last edited:
But this is a setting that the devs give to the GR4 cars. If you do the upgrade, one of the items you get could be a new fuel efficiency values. Just like they would have to change other chassis values (like downforce and suspension)
Beat me to it, lol. Was just going to post that the only reason Gr. 4 have better fuel efficiency is an efficiency variable that is applied to cars with the #race car tag. I've built a Supra to Gr. 4 specs, matched the weight/distro exactly, matched power as best as I could (usually end up with more torque on the road car since we cannot adjust torque with a slider the way devs can) and got the down-force pretty close to a match. The cars perform almost identically in time trials, but when you enter them into races where fuel/tires are turned on, the Gr. 4 will get much better fuel efficiency even though the game claims it's the same engine/displacement/weight/disto/ etc, etc. I've done the same with the Viper trying to match the GT3 version with similar results, though we don't have the ability to reach downforce levels that Gr. 3 on up have.

There's no reason we couldn't build GT4/GT3/Super GT/etc cars in this game aside from the devs not providing the tools at current.

I'll bet this was something that was "on paper" but crunch time and evolving developments probably scrapped it.

I think it was even on paper in GT6, with the "Base models" we got that were only paintable and able to have a custom number.

The idea of them adding a Del Sol and turning it into a mid engined LM race car tho, that's peak granturismo.

Last edited:
Fuel efficiency disagrees
I sadly agree with you. :lol:

Which is why I wish you could upgrade tanks in road cars.

Beat me to it, lol. Was just going to post that the only reason Gr. 4 have better fuel efficiency is an efficiency variable that is applied to cars with the #race car tag. I've built a Supra to Gr. 4 specs, matched the weight/distro exactly, matched power as best as I could (usually end up with more torque on the road car since we cannot adjust torque with a slider the way devs can) and got the down-force pretty close to a match. The cars perform almost identically in time trials, but when you enter them into races where fuel/tires are turned on, the Gr. 4 will get much better fuel efficiency even though the game claims it's the same engine/displacement/weight/disto/ etc, etc. I've done the same with the Viper trying to match the GT3 version with similar results, though we don't have the ability to reach downforce levels that Gr. 3 on up have.

There's no reason we couldn't build GT4/GT3/Super GT/etc cars in this game aside from the devs not providing the tools at current.
Fuel is given in percentage. I think the Gr.4 cars have much bigger fuel tanks.

I have no idea how fuel efficiency is measured in GT7 but it can't be related only to the engine, because classic muscle cars have very long range with gas guzzling engines in excess of 500 bhp and they sure weren't the most economical things around.

Last edited:
Gr.3 cars on the other hand are far removed from a standard road car. You can't simply "race mod" a road car. Some of the GT3 cars IRL have extensive modifications to the point it isn't even the same car anymore. It's Group 5 lite.
inb4 you have to buy the C7 Gr.3 Road Car first to turn it into the C7 Gr.3, which also requires you to have the regular C7 Corvette at hand first.

inb4 you have to buy the C7 Gr.3 Road Car first to turn it into the C7 Gr.3, which also requires you to have the regular C7 Corvette at hand first.
That's the idea, but among the road cars there's things like the RCZ which are not really the road model. Seem more like the GT1 cars.

I phrased my post poorly, I meant you can't transform a road car into GT3 without modifications that go much beyond what you can do with ordinary mods. Maybe Race Mod could fill this gap considering Works in Shift 2 would let you turn an LF-A into a low and wide car similar to a GT500 race car, and the GT-R also was modded this way.

ZR1 is most extreme Corvette C7 in the game. Compared to Gr.3 car (fictional but still), you can feel how softer the ZR1 is. AMG Black Series also very far away from the GT3 car.

Last edited:
Discussed a little in this thread https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gran-turismo-7-tuning-shop-gt-auto.394391/

PD gave us the Civic and S15 RMs in TC form. Plus, the (NA)ROADSTER TC.
20829205014464336.jpg

20829344876155146.jpg
20829928311598119.jpg

I‘d love for the RMs to return. Thing is, realistically, at this stage, I can’t see them ever returning.
For one, the livery editor sealed the RM’s fate. Anyone can replicate the liveries of RMs. Two, PD have given us the body customisation tools to replicate the cars. Not exactly with some, but in the same vein as the GT1 & GT2 originals.

Now obviously, race cars need roll cages and removed interior bits. This wasn’t a factor with the blank interior early games. We have race interiors from Gr.4 and Gr.3 cars that could definitely be used for those particular models. It’s just, PD save thmselves time by having the community build the cars rather then PD creating them. The widebody option transforms the muscle & pony cars similar to the RMs. The ‘69 Camaro doesn’t quite get the rear balloon tyres from GT5, but the ‘70 Challenger looks like the RM.

Anyway, I love building my own and would still like to have some PD official cars.

i don't think they will coming back. The original Gran Turismo gr.3,4,and B cars are comparable to LM race car. Livery editor and style editor also exist. Maybe they just need to add more original GT race cars. It would be fun to upgrade our cars to race specs though.

Fuel is given in percentage. I think the Gr.4 cars have much bigger fuel tanks.
This was something I was wondering myself. Does it actually show liters/gallons on the fuel gauge? It did cross my mind that they're just giving them bigger tanks but couldn't tell whether this was actually the case or not. It would be more realistic, but I just assumed they were simulating a bigger tank with some hidden variable. Really wish this was an offline PC game so we could tear into the code and figure out what the man behind the curtain is actually doing, lol.

Either way, be it some sort of efficiency "tag" or a bigger tank, I don't think it would be hard to implement a feature to allow as to build 1:1 clones (and beyond) of race cars in the game. Though PD are so far behind at this point we'll be lucky if we have the content GT Sport had three years from now, let alone cool new features that go far beyond anything they've ever attempted. One can dream, I guess... Maybe in GT8! lol

This was something I was wondering myself. Does it actually show liters/gallons on the fuel gauge? It did cross my mind that they're just giving them bigger tanks but couldn't tell whether this was actually the case or not. It would be more realistic, but I just assumed they were simulating a bigger tank with some hidden variable. Really wish this was an offline PC game so we could tear into the code and figure out what the man behind the curtain is actually doing, lol.

Either way, be it some sort of efficiency "tag" or a bigger tank, I don't think it would be hard to implement a feature to allow as to build 1:1 clones (and beyond) of race cars in the game. Though PD are so far behind at this point we'll be lucky if we have the content GT Sport had three years from now, let alone cool new features that go far beyond anything they've ever attempted. One can dream, I guess... Maybe in GT8! lol
I tested this in the Gr.4 build thread:
Hmmm. Are the fuel rates the same regarding fuel maps? If I keep it at Fuel 1 with the road car, it burns much faster than a Gr.4 car at fuel 1. Or is that just because of the aforementioned fuel tank size?

Just as an example. The C6 ZR1 was at 2.2Laps at the start. Dropped to 1.7 with me nailing it down the first straight. I dialled it back to F4 after the first chicane. Dialled it to F6 for the remainder of the lap and it stayed steady at 2.2 until dropping to 2.1 at the end of Lap 1.
In the Alfa, I feather the throttle and immediately see a gaine of an extra lap of fuel to the tune of 3.4 Laps and I can stretch it to 4 laps before the end of lap 1. No fuel map adjustment. Plus, the Alfa has a higher rpm range, lighter weight and much more downforce. Same with the GT300 Supra and Skyline. Those I can stretch to 4 laps without map adjustment.

Ill do a quick race right now and see how much the C6 can hold, by backing off for the first lap.

Edit: Okay. I just start the race, don’t touch the throttle, select 6th gear and coast to a halt.

C6 got the furthest with bad engine braking.
View attachment 1152364

Alfa didn’t make it up the hill.
View attachment 1152365

Skyline had a high of 8.9 Laps and dropped to 8.8 and then 8.7! right after the first Dunlop tyre.
View attachment 1152366

I know members do extensive testing with fuel numbers, fuel tanks, economy, etc. I’ve not looked into all that, but it is odd to see these results by backing off right at the start. If the race cars have bigger fuel tanks, how can the road car hold more fuel? That’s why I asked about the fuel delivery. A road car should be more frugal. Yes?
For some reason, it‘s made out to appear race cars have bigger tanks, but the actuality of road cars having better fuel economy, is a factor too. It’s probably the fuel flow that determines the economy. Whatever PD have programmed that to be.

I don’t race in real life and I’m not a mechanic, but I watch different race series. Many parts on race cars, homologated race cars, are purpose built. Some parts can’t be bought over the counter. So, if PD determine the race car engine parts are more efficient than road car parts, when we build road cars into race cars, we don’t have “access” to those race car programmed parts. If that makes sense.

The race parts I buy in the Tuning Parts Shop, just enhance my road car and are inferior to the race car parts. But, it’s all stupid because, as I’ve shown above, road car holds more fuel than the race car. If I go full throttle in the road car, I’ll run out of fuel before going full throttle in the race car.

That's the idea, but among the road cars there's things like the RCZ which are not really the road model. Seem more like the GT1 cars.
The class SHOULD have been called "LM" in keeping with tradition. It's a misstep they took in GTSport.

If it was the LM class, it opens the door to all the LM cars of the past.
I phrased my post poorly, I meant you can't transform a road car into GT3 without modifications that go much beyond what you can do with ordinary mods. Maybe Race Mod could fill this gap considering Works in Shift 2 would let you turn an LF-A into a low and wide car similar to a GT500 race car, and the GT-R also was modded this way.

ZR1 is most extreme Corvette C7 in the game. Compared to Gr.3 car (fictional but still), you can feel how softer the ZR1 is. AMG Black Series also very far away from the GT3 car.
Well, It's a game, so....

IRL, they are still mods of the base car. it's just that factories have more resources than a normal person. A normal person cannot just go out and buy a Gr3 car either. It takes serious coin and connections.

The Race cars have different chassis specs. Just as buying the weight reduction mod changes your chassis specs, a race mod would change the chassis specs.

I tested this in the Gr.4 build thread:

For some reason, it‘s made out to appear race cars have bigger tanks, but the actuality of road cars having better fuel economy, is a factor too. It’s probably the fuel flow that determines the economy. Whatever PD have programmed that to be.

I don’t race in real life and I’m not a mechanic, but I watch different race series. Many parts on race cars, homologated race cars, are purpose built. Some parts can’t be bought over the counter. So, if PD determine the race car engine parts are more efficient than road car parts, when we build road cars into race cars, we don’t have “access” to those race car programmed parts. If that makes sense.

The race parts I buy in the Tuning Parts Shop, just enhance my road car and are inferior to the race car parts. But, it’s all stupid because, as I’ve shown above, road car holds more fuel than the race car. If I go full throttle in the road car, I’ll run out of fuel before going full throttle in the race car.
IRL, many racing series will require the car to be modified with a special fuel cell that is fire proof and fits a very specific set of rules.
fcst_fuel_cell_full_cell_w_cap_3.jpg

I would take the simplest route possible, given that the team struggles with the minutiae of some features, and it could be why it's not in the game.

For cars with available race versions right now, the "race mod" gives you the same car, but with no decals. So, for the NEW NSX, GR4 Race mod gives you the GR4 car, GrB Mod gives you the GR B car, GR3 mod gives you the GR3 car, and GR2 mod give you the GR2 car, all without decals. The mod alone would be priced a little less than buying in Brand Central, but more overall, because you have to buy the base car.
Discussed a little in this thread https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gran-turismo-7-tuning-shop-gt-auto.394391/

PD gave us the Civic and S15 RMs in TC form. Plus, the (NA)ROADSTER TC.

I‘d love for the RMs to return. Thing is, realistically, at this stage, I can’t see them ever returning.
For one, the livery editor sealed the RM’s fate. Anyone can replicate the liveries of RMs. Two, PD have given us the body customisation tools to replicate the cars. Not exactly with some, but in the same vein as the GT1 & GT2 originals.
But it's not "the same". The visuals are close, but the chassis are different. A RM would give the car the chassis values needed to be in the class, and it would change the designation of the car from "road car" to whatever class you modded it to. So, when a race says "GR4", I can take a Gr4 RM into it.
Now obviously, race cars need roll cages and removed interior bits. This wasn’t a factor with the blank interior early games. We have race interiors from Gr.4 and Gr.3 cars that could definitely be used for those particular models. It’s just, PD save thmselves time by having the community build the cars rather then PD creating them. The widebody option transforms the muscle & pony cars similar to the RMs. The ‘69 Camaro doesn’t quite get the rear balloon tyres from GT5, but the ‘70 Challenger looks like the RM.
Most cars allow for roll cages to be added to them right now. This is where it dawned on me that this is not only a realistic addition, but likely part of the original plan.

Most cars can have a wide body
Most cars can have tow hooks added
Most cars can have hood pins added
Most cars can have a roll cage added
Most cars have "racing" parts available to them
Anyway, I love building my own and would still like to have some PD official cars.
One does not exclude the other. It Also allows for more Easter Eggs like the BMW CSL Race car.

BMW30CSL-2017-racetaxi_1.jpg

Lastly, if this isn't proof that they thought of adding an RM Mod, I don't know what is. Someone also mentioned that you can convert the F40 into the F40 Competezione... They need to finished this feature, and then open the door to the great LM's of the past like the NSX LM, the GTR LM, The FTO LM, etc :D

Last edited:
But you can just do that actually.
I said a normal person. Normal people don't have the millions of dollars to invest in a GT3 car, team, travel budget, etc., etc., etc.

When Patrick Soderlund took NFS under his wing and commissioned NFS Shift, EA helped sponsor the team he raced with. This is the typical route. If you have some deep pockets, and access to good sponsors, you can hook up with a team.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2010/05/driver_blog_patrick_soderlund_team_nfs_kickoff_silverstone/

It's very rare for a dude who works a regular 9-5 to go out and buy a GT3 car and fund a team.

Of course, you could traffic narcotics and use all that money to fund a team, but again, that's not a "normal" thing :D

https://www.si.com/longform/true-crime/randy-lanier-indycar-drug-smuggler/index.html

I said a normal person. Normal people don't have the millions of dollars to invest in a GT3 car, team, travel budget, etc., etc., etc.
You just talked about buying the car. Which is something everyone who has the money can do ;)

Back