Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,481 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Could someone answer a question a few of my friends have been arguing over recently?

If Scotland will become independent, what will happen to the North Sea Oil? Will it all be owned by Scotland?

We put capitalists in charge of our economy.

Your turn :D
If by "capitalist" you mean "sane person" then I guess we're out of luck. Sane people don't get very far in American politics.

Could someone answer a question a few of my friends have been arguing over recently?

If Scotland will become independent, what will happen to the North Sea Oil? Will it all be owned by Scotland?

Yes, and the Scots will scare us all away by pulling up their skirts.

With all of that oil, we will probably be able to afford more civil attire.

It's all about the scare tactics. Guns aren't so scary. Hairy naked bottom half of the Scots, that is scary. But. My secret weapon will come any day now, I will defend the North sea.

Dennisch
It's all about the scare tactics. Guns aren't so scary. Hairy naked bottom half of the Scots, that is scary. But. My secret weapon will come any day now, I will defend the North sea.

With 40% of the British army Scottish, I feel like we have secure ground.

Probably, but that wouldn't be such a bad thing. We might actually get some large scale nuclear and renewable projects finalised if we were even more dependant on imported oil.

New generation of reactors. Yes please. Severn estuary hydro electric. Yes please. Incinerating non-recyclable material. Yes please.

Dennisch
With my secret weapon, coming from the inside, I am invincible. You just wait and see. I will come back to this.

:dunce:

You like your oil, huh?
Talking about oil, those poor guys are scared to light a cigarette after this gas leak.

Probably, but that wouldn't be such a bad thing. We might actually get some large scale nuclear and renewable projects finalised if we were even more dependant on imported oil.

New generation of reactors. Yes please. Severn estuary hydro electric. Yes please. Incinerating non-recyclable material. Yes please.

Still skeptical about the side effects of nuclear waste. There's no real way of disposing of it. We just bury it and pretend it's not there. Maybe we should load it onto a barge and tow it to the middle of the Atlantic. That's quite out of the way. Nuclear power stations work, but I'm unsure as to the disposal of the waste. There are plans to extend the life of Wylfa on Anglesey, which have met with considerable opposition. I do find it slightly bizarre that in a beautiful part of the world like NE Wales, there are ot one but two nuclear power stations. Wylfa on Anglesey and the decomissioned Trawsfynydd station inside Snowdonia National Park.

Tidal power. Big yes. The Severn has the second largest tide in the world.

Putting ladnfills to good use. Big yes.

I'm also a fan of solar power. Contrary to people's perceptions, you don't need 'direct' sunlight to make it work. It will work on a cloudy day, just not as well. Have panels facing south to get maximum exposure and Bob's your uncle. It's costly, but I belive solar panels pay dividends soon enough, and if you do a deal where an electric company pays for you to have panels fitted to your house, you get free electric and water, and the company takes any excess power. Conversely, if you do this yourself, you can sell any excess power to the national grid and make a tidy profit.

It's true that Britain doesn't get adequate sun exposure, but I think it's a good idea that would work well in places.

If by "capitalist" you mean "sane person" then I guess we're out of luck. Sane people don't get very far in American politics.

No, more a person who knows how money works and how not to spend an economy to its knees with social programmes and excessive intrusion. This guy wants to reduce what goverment does in favour of people (and friends, family and community) doing it - admittedly with a silly soundbite title of "Big Society".

Trying to get out of a very deep hole indeed caused by runaway public spending and covering up huge gaps in the public purse by selling assets (like all our gold - sold when gold prices were almost at a record low; today gold is at a record high) and unprecedented rates of borrowing is a tricky old job for anyone, but if we still had people in charge of an economy who have no idea how an economy works we'd be boned backwards.

Still skeptical about the side effects of nuclear waste. There's no real way of disposing of it. We just bury it and pretend it's not there. Maybe we should load it onto a barge and tow it to the middle of the Atlantic. That's quite out of the way. Nuclear power stations work, but I'm unsure as to the disposal of the waste.
Waste nuclear fuel isn't all that big a deal. After re-processing there is only a small amount of highly radioactive material material. For now we can store that, in future we may be able to use it, but yes for now it's best to keep it somewhere secure.

However, the biggest nuclear waste issue is the shutting down of old plants. Almost anything that's been used at a nuclear power plant is deemed as nuclear waste, so the more we shut down the more we have to store.

There are plans to extend the life of Wylfa on Anglesey, which have met with considerable opposition. I do find it slightly bizarre that in a beautiful part of the world like NE Wales, there are ot one but two nuclear power stations. Wylfa on Anglesey and the decomissioned Trawsfynydd station inside Snowdonia National Park.
How are Trawsfynydd and Wylfa in NE Wales? NW?

I see no issue with placing nuclear power plants in these areas. I personally see wind farms as far more damaging, and pointless, in these areas but we need somewhere to produce the energy. Port Talbot is probably the number 1 example of why building near urban areas isn't great for the population. Spoiled views or spoiled lives, easy choice.

I'm also a fan of solar power. Contrary to people's perceptions, you don't need 'direct' sunlight to make it work. It will work on a cloudy day, just not as well. Have panels facing south to get maximum exposure and Bob's your uncle. It's costly, but I belive solar panels pay dividends soon enough, and if you do a deal where an electric company pays for you to have panels fitted to your house, you get free electric and water, and the company takes any excess power. Conversely, if you do this yourself, you can sell any excess power to the national grid and make a tidy profit.

It's true that Britain doesn't get adequate sun exposure, but I think it's a good idea that would work well in places.
Solar is the worst idea in the British power generation. The only way it makes sense is thanks to massive government subsidies, now I'm not saying this isn't true of other energy sources, but Solar really is pathetic what you get back out.

If Britain was an Air-Con nation then there'd be more justification, but we're not. We don't get summer black-outs because all our homes and offices aren't reliant on air-con in hot weather, which is when solar power would be most useful!

Otherwise, in winter and in the night when domestic use is higher, solar power is worthless! Now what that does mean is it can be justified for commercial purposes because they use much of their electricity in the day and often have large exposed roof space.

How is the Euro debate going across the little pond? Regret of staying out, or the opposite?

And how's that Euro business going for y'all? :sly:

On a related note, I hate David Cameron more than I've ever hated anyone. I know all politicians are slimy little creeps with all the moral fortitude of a Friday night at Hooters, but it's just that much worse when he does it. The award for most kickable face goes to...

The problem with that is that the oil is almost gone. Scotland gets zero oil revenues right now. That is ridiculous. I have been involved in debates recently with English people who say that Scotland would have to pay back every penny of the RBS bailout if we were independent. I wouldn't mind that so much, as long as Scotland was refunded every penny of oil revenues that have been misdirected over the years.

As for the UK, I had been wanting to leave for many years. Now the government has given me the push I needed, I won't be back.

On a related note, I hate David Cameron more than I've ever hated anyone. I know all politicians are slimy little creeps with all the moral fortitude of a Friday night at Hooters, but it's just that much worse when he does it. The award for most kickable face goes to...

Agreed. His campaign picture was a joke.

david-cameron-880207022.jpg

Last edited:
Woh there Nelly, surely Nick Clegg gets the first boot? Could he have mislead the student population any more than he did!?

The problem with that is that the oil is almost gone. Scotland gets zero oil revenues right now. That is ridiculous. I have been involved in debates recently with English people who say that Scotland would have to pay back every penny of the RBS bailout if we were independent. I wouldn't mind that so much, as long as Scotland was refunded every penny of oil revenues that have been misdirected over the years.

As for the UK, I had been wanting to leave for many years. Now the government has given me the push I needed, I won't be back.
Scotland, and Wales, both receive more tax in return than what they contribute. Fact.
Telegraph
Scottish public spending totalled £63.8 billion last while tax revenue was only £53.1 billion even when a geographic share of North Sea oil is included.
The same argument has been made for Wales and the pillaging of our coal reserves for more than a century, but at the end of the day we receive considerably more in return from the public purse than what we contribute.

Scotland, and Wales, both receive more tax in return than what they contribute. Fact.

But Scotland receives less than they contribute if you add in the oil reserves that we don't see. Fact.

Edit: Have just seen your telegraph quote. I have seen different figures elsewhere.

And that still doesn't changed the fact that the oil revenues that have been taken away from Scotland could have been invested wisely in the country previously.

Last edited:
Woh there Nelly, surely Nick Clegg gets the first boot? Could he have mislead the student population any more than he did!?

Please. Nick Clegg is a puppet. I dislike him, but not nearly to the same level as Scameron. I'm probably more annoyed at Vince Cable. Now that was deceptive to students.

But Scotland receives less than they contribute if you add in the oil reserves that we don't see. Fact.

Edit: Have just seen your telegraph quote. I have seen different figures elsewhere.
You're possibly referring to the John Swinney's figures that have been widely discredited.

[EDIT]
Danny
Please. Nick Clegg is a puppet. I dislike him, but not nearly to the same level as Scameron. I'm probably more annoyed at Vince Cable. Now that was deceptive to students.
Don't you feel Nick Clegg got the student vote because he promised to abolish student tuition fees? And then he became a member of the leading party and trebled them!

The award for most kickable face goes to...

Dave wouldn't even get the nomination.

Of the current lot there'd be quite a list ahead of him. John Redwood, Eric Pickles, George Osbourne, Stephen Twigg, Ed Miliband, Andy Burnham and Ed Balls all make for far more kickable faces. With Stephen Twigg I'd wear hobnailed boots and I'd request John Redwood was muzzled in case he tried to dislocate his jaw and swallow me.

Top of the all time list though... Peter Mandelson. Whenever Lord Mandelson, Darth Foy appears on television, all the skin on that side of my body tries to crawl to the opposite side.

I'd also like to throw out a mention for the UK Immigration Minister Damian Green.

DamianGreen_1465921c.jpg

Thanks to his policies, I had to leave the country to be with my wife. And he didn't even have the decency to reply to my email.

He used to be my MP. I didn't vote for him. He is a sphincter.

I assume looking smug is a prerequisite for MPs.

My main man Shahid Malik.

6a00d8341c565553ef0133ed612508970b-500wi

Oh, HOW could I have forgotten Keith Vaz? How is that man allowed to hold public office still, much less conduct inquiries into the moral probity of others?

Ignoring his role of incitement in the Satanic Verses affair, as an MP he's been found to have received undeclared "benefits" from a solicitor (Zaiwalla affair/Filkin Inquiry), from the Hinduja brothers over British citizenship, from Nadhmi Auchi over citizenship and arrest warrants and from a law firm dealing with racial equality complaints against the Metropolitan Police, he's compromised an independent inquiry into government policy by asking the Prime Minister's opinion on it, he's used his position and race to intimidate a retired policewoman, he's allegedly been offered titles for his voting in parliament and once sought to have banned a video game on grounds of something that wasn't even in the video game. Oh and he wants the NHS to provide "alternative medicine" (you know... the scientifically unproven stuff that people take on hearsay rather than actual medicine) for free. And that's just in the last decade.

And he chairs the Home Affairs Select Committee, demanding that others answer questions about the legality and morality of their conduct. Scum.

While I've had a relatively decent MP for the last millennia, should the new parlimentary constituencies come into affect I'd very likely be represented by this guy...

220px-Peter_Hain.png

He also supports "alternative medicine", though prefers nails and glass spread over a rugby pitch.

Oh and he loves to name drop Nelson Mandela at every opportunity, and I was very disappointed to have to share my graduation ceremony with him.

Famine
Trying to get out of a very deep hole indeed caused by runaway public spending and covering up huge gaps in the public purse by selling assets (like all our gold - sold when gold prices were almost at a record low; today gold is at a record high)...

That was a so agonisingly bad decision, yet so funny too. :lol:

Back