Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,424 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Kremlin states that Putin is charing a meeting with "the permanent members of the Security Council" in which they "expressed grave concern over the destructive and provocative position of the British side." Of course, this shouldn't be confused with that other "permanent members of the Security Council" (e.g. the UN Security Council) :ouch:

Meanwhile, Sergei Lavrov says that the UK are using the attempted murder of Skripal to distract people from how badly the Brexit talks are going :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I know you guys are on that Russian thing, but it came to my attention that people are detained under terrorism legislation and banned from entering the UK because they have different opinions than current establishment, that sounds a bit ridiculous when on the other hand the UK have no problem with returning ISIL criminals. (btw. fighting for foreign army is criminal act where I live). It is also sad when you realize this is the country from where Monthy Python came, it looks like they would be banned too nowadays.

Interview with banned Lauren Southern

The Kremlin states that Putin is charing a meeting with "the permanent members of the Security Council" in which they "expressed grave concern over the destructive and provocative position of the British side." Of course, this shouldn't be confused with that other "permanent members of the Security Council" (e.g. the UN Security Council) :ouch:

Meanwhile, Sergei Lavrov says that the UK are using the attempted murder of Skripal to distract people from how badly the Brexit talks are going :rolleyes:

How are the brexit talks going?

Last edited:
I know you guys are on that Russian thing, but it came to my attention that people are detained under terrorism legislation and banned from entering the UK because they have different opinions than current establishment...

She committed crimes last time she was here - real actual crimes. I'd have thought you'd be the first person to suggest that foreigners committing crimes are barred from returning?

...that sounds a bit ridiculous when on the other hand the UK have no problem with returning ISIL criminals. (btw. fighting for foreign army is criminal act where I live)

Fighting for a foreign army isn't always a criminal act here (though it can be) and I suspect the law where you are works the same way. Why do you say the UK have no problem with them returning when your own link says they're nearly all imprisoned upon their return? Did you read your own link?

It is also sad when you realize this is the country from where Monthy Python came, it looks like they would be banned too nowadays.

Might I respectfully suggest that you didn't understand Monty Python? Could you draw our attention to a specific reason for them being 'banned too nowadays'?

She committed crimes last time she was here - real actual crimes. I'd have thought you'd be the first person to suggest that foreigners committing crimes are barred from returning?
Do you have a link that establishes her "crimes" were the reason she was denied entry? Can you explain why, if the "crimes" were the reason she was denied entry, they bothered to hold and interrogate her in isolation for several hours instead of just saying, "I'm sorry, you're a convicted criminal, turn around and go back please"

Which are? All I can find out from last time she was here was that she had posters that said "Allah is a gay god" on, is that what you're referring to as a "real actual crime"? If anyone thinks that's a real actual crime then that's hilariously sad. :lol:

Which are? All I can find out from last time she was here was that she had posters that said "Allah is a gay god" on, is that what you're referring to as a "real actual crime"? If anyone thinks that's a real actual crime then that's hilariously sad. :lol:

All evidence points to that being the reason.

Racism against a religion. Good job.

Do you have a link that establishes her "crimes" were the reason she was denied entry?

That's from her own media feed. EDIT: Also in @Dennisch's link

Can you explain why, if the "crimes" were the reason she was denied entry, they bothered to hold and interrogate her in isolation for several hours instead of just saying, "I'm sorry, you're a convicted criminal, turn around and go back please"

I imagine that a judge was required, and nothing happens quickly in France, particularly in the judiciare. The alternative is that proper authorisation was required from across the water, and Whitehall is just as slow.

The Russian claim that the UK has attacked itself in order to disrupt the World Cup is idiotic. If (and it's a big if) Russia is not directly responsible for this attack, it is more likely that the motive is to drive a wedge between the UK and Russia for whatever reason, since that is the outcome - attempting to shift the blame onto the UK is not only completely groundless, but it doesn't even chime with simple common sense - the UK has nothing to gain (and potentially a lot to lose) by a souring of relations with Russia.
It may not necessarily be UK government. How about an idea of... gang-related crime? Some kind of mafia.
Or, the ears may be growing from overseas. Someone else may be interested in souring the UK's relations with RF. As you know, Europe (and, particularly, Britain) is dependent on the Russian gas. There is a project of a new gas pipeline, known as Nord Stream 2. And United States took a highly negative stance on its construction, because it threatens their interests in the region. If the relations between EU and Russia get too tense and more sanctions get imposed, this can terminate this project. And despite of UK going to leave EU, the main players of the union - France and Germany - have expressed support to UK's stance in the incident.

And, on a cite note, just a random NYT article from 1999:
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/25/world/us-and-uzbeks-agree-on-chemical-arms-plant-cleanup.html

The United States and Uzbekistan have quietly negotiated and are expected to sign a bilateral agreement today to provide American aid in dismantling and decontaminating one of the former Soviet Union's largest chemical weapons testing facilities, according to Defense Department and Uzbek officials.

Earlier this year, the Pentagon informed Congress that it intends to spend up to $6 million under its Cooperative Threat Reduction program to demilitarize the so-called Chemical Research Institute, in Nukus, Uzbekistan. Soviet defectors and American officials say the Nukus plant was the major research and testing site for a new class of secret, highly lethal chemical weapons called ''Novichok,'' which in Russian means ''new guy.''

Mr. Mustafoev, the Deputy Foreign Minister, scoffed at the finding, arguing there is plenty of evidence of such work at the lab that the Soviets built in 1986, closed to all but the Russian scientists who worked there, and abandoned only in 1992. American officials agreed, noting that a senior defector from the Soviet chemical weapons program, Vil S. Mirzayanov, who worked for more than 25 years in the Soviet chemical weapons program, has told them and later said publicly that the plant was built to produce batches, for testing, of Novichok binary weapons designed to escape detection by international inspectors.
And here's that name again. I've mentioned him before. Vil Mirzayanov - a chemist who fled to US in 1996, a critic of the RF government, a Tatar nationalist (and a supporter of Tatarstan's independence) - in other words, a good guy to the West. And he published the formula of the compound in his book. Also, the Americans have been on the secret plant in Uzbekistan where the Novichok and its derivatives had been tested, as Mirzayanov himself said. As you see, the "New Guy" isn't so new, and it's highly likely (to say the least) that Russia isn't the only country familiar with the structure of A-232 and able to reproduce it.

It's been also noted that Skripal knows the person who wrote the "Russian dossier" on Trump.

The lengths you'll go to to defend Russia as if they can do no wrong is hilarious. Suggesting that the UK government has attacked it's own people with a nerve agent and has been killing off ex-Russian spies that they've allowed to stay in the country for years with no motivation and no evidence? I think you might want to take your tin foil hat off. :lol:
Mmm, isn't that "no evidence" thing related to how the UK investigates this crime? No suspects. No idea how could the poison enter Skripals' bodies. But London doesn't suspect - it outright accuses Russia, performs hostile actions (expelling the diplomats), and tells to go away and shut up.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...nternational-rule-book-says-defence-secretary

Tell me, is this normal thing in the British justice to punish someone before the guilt is proven, or this is a special case when the culprit is assigned in advance? I thought the Russian justice is bad.

And regarding the tin foil hat, I think it's not me who needs it. The recent news of Britain would make one think that Russian agents are lurking everywhere. Look around, and you might see one. There he is, wearing track pants, with pockets full of polonium-210.

Not just Russian people. British people closely linked to those Russian people (and very specifically Boris Berezovsky and Mikhail Khodorkovsky) through financing property in the UK are also affected by this spate of unexpected heart attacks and the desire to step in front of underground trains.

And helicopter crashes. There's a lot of that going round too.

But as I said, all of those deaths have been completely explained and found not to be suspicious in any way, except for the Litvinenko poisoning which resulted in a request for extradition of an alleged FSB hitman, who's now an MP... The guy who stabbed himself to death with five wounds from two kitchen knives was ruled as suicide. The guy who died of a heart attack while jogging with heart attack-causing plant matter in his stomach was ruled as natural causes. The secret agent who died inside a padlocked sports bag, in a bathtub, in an MI6 safehouse, was ruled as death by misadventure in a gay sex game gone wrong.

They're all completely explained, not suspicious and not connected to the Kremlin at all.

But that said, it's not just living in the UK (or, specifically, the South East) that seems to afflict these Russian and Russia-linked folk:

November 2016 - Sergei Krivov; Security officer at Russian consulate in New York. Dies within the consulate. Consulate officials originally claimed he fell from the roof, then that he'd died of a heart attack, police report filed say he had head trauma. Coroner ruled haemorrhage due to chest tumour.
December 2016 - Oleg Erovinkin; Russian intelligence agent, alleged source in Trump dossier. Dies of causes unknown (rumoured to be, but not officially confirmed as, a heart attack) in his car in Moscow, aged 61.
December 2016 - Andrey Karlov; Russian ambassador to Turkey. Shot dead by gunman at art exhibition in Ankara, gunman shouted "do not forget Syria".
January 2017 - Andrey Malanin; Russian diplomat to ambassador to Greece. Dies of "natural causes" in his home in Athens, aged 54.
January 2017 - Alexander Kadakin; Russian ambassador to India. Dies in hospital in Delhi, following sudden heart attack, aged 67.
February 2017 - Vitaly Churkin; Russian ambassador to the UN. Dies of sudden heart attack in his office in New York, aged 64
March 2017 - Denis Voronenkov; Putin critic. Shot dead outside a hotel in Kiev.
March 2017 - Nikolai Gorokhov; Russian lawyer representing Sergei Magnitsky in a tax fraud case. Fell from fourth floor window of Moscow apartment, but survives despite head injuries. Magnitsky himself was beaten to death in jail in November 2008.
August 2017 - Migayas Shirinskiy; Russian ambassador to Sudan. Dies of sudden heart attack while swimming in his residence in Sudan, aged 62.

Again, all of these are totally explained and absolutely not suspicious or connected to the Kremlin.

I thought about writing a long reply full of sarcasm and irony, but... no, this cartoon would be enough.

JKNoslKs0Ro.jpg

Last edited:
Mmm, isn't that "no evidence" thing related to how the UK investigates this crime? No suspects. No idea how could the poison enter Skripals' bodies. But London doesn't suspect - it outright accuses Russia, performs hostile actions (expelling the diplomats), and tells to go away and shut up.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...nternational-rule-book-says-defence-secretary

Who says there's no evidence? Are you directly involved with the UK intelligence agencies and this investigation to know that they have no idea who carried out the attack? Just because they're not publicly disclosing what they know doesn't me they don't know anything.
Tell me, is this normal thing in the British justice to punish someone before the guilt is proven, or this is a special case when the culprit is assigned in advance? I thought the Russian justice is bad.

I'm sure the government don't just kick out diplomats for the sake of it, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have too reason to think Russia was behind the attack, especially as I see no motivation for them blaming Russia.
And regarding the tin foil hat, I think it's not me who needs it. The recent news of Britain would make one think that Russian agents are lurking everywhere. Look around, and you might see one. There he is, wearing track pants, with pockets full of polonium-210.

:lol: I'm not sure what UK news you've been looking at but I haven't seen anything that would give anyone that idea and can safely say that no one here is worried about there being lots of Russian spies everywhere.

I thought about writing a long reply full of sarcasm and irony, but... no, this cartoon would be enough.

jknoslks0ro-jpg.722281
Neither the comment nor the cartoon make any sense.

In all of the cases mentioned above but one*, in both the UK and the other countries (Sudan, India, USA, Ukraine, Greece, Turkey and, yes, Russia), the authorities investigated the deaths - as with all sudden deaths - and found there was no involvement from outside agencies. They were all ruled by the police, coroners and courts as accidents, suicides and ill-health. No Russian involvement whatsoever, other than the fact that some of the dead people were Russians.

I've quite clearly stated this in both of the posts, so I don't know what you mean with your comment. And the cartoon would only make sense if there was no masked axeman and the police were saying things like "Another Russian person commits suicide"; "Yeah, eighth case for the week"; "Looks like an accident to me".

The exception, of course, is Litvinenko, which the authorities investigated, concluded to be a Russian state-sponsored targeted killing and sought to extradite the individuals held to be most likely responsible in order to stand trial to determine if they were guilty or not. Russia refused, and thus the case has never been solved.

I know you guys are on that Russian thing, but it came to my attention that people are detained under terrorism legislation and banned from entering the UK because they have different opinions than current establishment, that sounds a bit ridiculous when on the other hand the UK have no problem with returning ISIL criminals. (btw. fighting for foreign army is criminal act where I live). It is also sad when you realize this is the country from where Monthy Python came, it looks like they would be banned too nowadays.
There's a big and rather obvious difference between banning UK Citizens from returning to the UK and banning non-UK citizens. I'm not saying I agree with either but they are hugely different matters.

Rage Racer
Also, the Americans have been on the secret plant in Uzbekistan where the Novichok and its derivatives had been tested, as Mirzayanov himself said. As you see, the "New Guy" isn't so new, and it's highly likely (to say the least) that Russia isn't the only country familiar with the structure of A-232 and able to reproduce it
Knowing the chemical formula of a product and being able to manufacture it are vastly different things and the success of the end result is often based on purity.

Almost inevitability you will have impurities and these will be due to a wide variety of issues from method to equipment to input chemicals. This gives you an ability to make a very good conclusion on who and where the compound was made.

All I see is Dennisch's link which say something about putting up posters. Still awaiting proof of a crime and that said crime was the reason she was denied entry.

I'm not sure why you need this explaining to you when it's at the core of the entire story. Here's the post from her Twittings, you must have missed it. For additional information the distribution of racist materials is an actual, real crime.

DYFSlRuXcAEzS7D (1).jpg

Nice speech laws you got there.

I'm not a fan of Southern as I'm sure she is a closet White Nationalist, but i have never seen actual race hate from her.

Criticism of Religion should always be protected in a modern Liberal Country though, no excuse for a an alternative is good enough.

I'm not sure why you need this explaining to you when it's at the core of the entire story. Here's the post from her Twittings, you must have missed it. For additional information the distribution of racist materials is an actual, real crime.

View attachment 722307
What crime? And I don't believe she has ever said that the materials were racist in nature. What race was maligned in the materials in question?

Last edited:
What crime? And I don't believe she has ever said that the materials were racist in nature. What race was maligned in the materials in question?
Before we get into the "Islam isn't a race" argument, race/racism is used with a wider meaning in the UK and effectively refers to issues protected under the the law that aren't otherwise easily identified.

The flyer in question that got her banned.
Not an issue of free speech.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/...that-got-lauren-southern-banned-from-britain/

Do you have a link that establishes her "crimes" were the reason she was denied entry? Can you explain why, if the "crimes" were the reason she was denied entry, they bothered to hold and interrogate her in isolation for several hours instead of just saying, "I'm sorry, you're a convicted criminal, turn around and go back please"
It's most likely down to her association with a moron called Jacob Bewick, who is a known member of National Action, a procribed group in the UK.

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/2018/...activist-was-member-banned-nazi-terror-group/

I do find it a bit odd however, that you of all people, would take issue with a country having strong borders? Or would she fall under the definition of "very fine people"?

Given European history, association with known members of a Nazi group liked to attempted terror attacks is a pretty good reason to get denied entry and questioned. As is attempting to do so while in the company of Martin Sellner (far-right and linked to neo-nazi groups in the US) and the ever charming white genocide advocate Brittany Pettibone (who is also friends with the clearly nuts Tara McCarthy).

To be blunt you would either need to have not bothered looking into this part the most basic level or pro-nutter to be even remotely surprised they were denied entry.

Before we get into the "Islam isn't a race" argument, race/racism is used with a wider meaning in the UK and effectively refers to issues protected under the the law that aren't otherwise easily identified.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/...that-got-lauren-southern-banned-from-britain/
I wonder how many times they gave carried out that same social experiment with other faiths.

Once she's done it in the Southern US for Christianity, India for Sikhs and Hindus, etc. I will take a different view over this actually being the normal Britain First style provocation, and bugger all to do with social experiments.

Last edited:
We are now sanctioning Russia for espionage and potential sabotage against our power grid. Is this a thing in the UK?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...or-cyber-attacks-on-energy-grid-idUSKCN1GR2G3
Beginning in March 2016, or possibly earlier, Russian government hackers sought to penetrate multiple U.S. critical infrastructure sectors, including energy, nuclear, commercial facilities, water, aviation and manufacturing, according to a U.S. security alert published Thursday.

Who says there's no evidence? Are you directly involved with the UK intelligence agencies and this investigation to know that they have no idea who carried out the attack? Just because they're not publicly disclosing what they know doesn't me they don't know anything.

I'm sure the government don't just kick out diplomats for the sake of it, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have too reason to think Russia was behind the attack, especially as I see no motivation for them blaming Russia.
Hmm. So you put it in that way - if someone is punished, that means he's guilty, not in reverse. Alright.
And America invaded Iraq because it had chemical weapons, too... :rolleyes:

Of course it wasn't for the sake of expelling diplomats. I guess this is just the beginning of the upcoming actions. One would say that kicking out 23 diplomats isn't a proper retaliation for an alleged chemical attack on your country. But when the UK government starts arresting the property of Russian oligarchs (including Putin's sponsors) and (optionally) deporting their wifes and children, things will get really fun. (I gotta stock up with popcorn before that happens.)

:lol: I'm not sure what UK news you've been looking at but I haven't seen anything that would give anyone that idea and can safely say that no one here is worried about there being lots of Russian spies everywhere.
Well, this is good if true. Because I thought some people could start suspecting their hangover being a Russian poisoning... :)

Neither the comment nor the cartoon make any sense.

In all of the cases mentioned above but one*, in both the UK and the other countries (Sudan, India, USA, Ukraine, Greece, Turkey and, yes, Russia), the authorities investigated the deaths - as with all sudden deaths - and found there was no involvement from outside agencies. They were all ruled by the police, coroners and courts as accidents, suicides and ill-health. No Russian involvement whatsoever, other than the fact that some of the dead people were Russians.
Alright, I'll write what I wanted to.

Strangely, you didn't mention April 2010 and the Polish president Lech Kaczynski, known for his anti-Russian stance, who died in a plane crash near Smolensk, where he was invited by the Russian president Medvedev. Today, the Polish media speculates about that plane being shot down or a bomb being planted inside. But that's just a conspiracy theory, nothing more. Although Russia still refuses to give the plane fragments back to Poland.

Or Professor Stephen Hawking, who promoted science and atheism, which goes against the Orthodox Christian ideology, which is popular in Russia (and as you probably know, Putin is a quite religious person). It's not disclosed why exactly he passed away, but his death happening so soon after the Skripal incident is a pure coincidence.

What I want to say is, your list can be absurdely long.

I've quite clearly stated this in both of the posts, so I don't know what you mean with your comment.
Uhm... If you weren't being sarcastic, then what were you trying to say? Perhaps that if a suicide by two different knives is not a suspicious thing to happen in England, then why couldn't Skripals use a military-grade nerve gas to poison themselves?..

Interestingly, The Telegraph says the agent was planted in Yulia's luggage before her flight to UK:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ning-plot-nerve-agent-planted-luggage-sergei/

Knowing the chemical formula of a product and being able to manufacture it are vastly different things and the success of the end result is often based on purity.

Almost inevitability you will have impurities and these will be due to a wide variety of issues from method to equipment to input chemicals. This gives you an ability to make a very good conclusion on who and where the compound was made.

That's not what a country with well-developed chemical industry and scientific potential (not worse than the Russian, I believe) would not be able to overcome in 20 years. If you know the formula, it is possible to suggest the reactions chain(s), try (not without a risk of course) and modify the methods to reach the maximum yield, purify the product and reach the purity close to 100%. (In my own research work, the purification was a PITA, but I did it after all.)

Mirzayanov had said that Novichok and its derivatives can be sythesized secretly, from precursors recieved from fertilizer or pesicide manufacturers, and therefore, evading inspections by OPCW (he accused Russia of doing that, and faced charges in the early '90s for revealing state secrets).

Anyway, neither mass spectrum nor IR, UV, NMR or other methods of spectral analysis I know can tell whether the substance has come from Russia or not. What they said it was "of a type developed by Russia".

Last edited:
Alright, I'll write what I wanted to.

Strangely, you didn't mention April 2010 and the Polish president Lech Kaczynski, known for his anti-Russian stance, who died in a plane crash near Smolensk, where he was invited by the Russian president Medvedev. Today, the Polish media speculates about that plane being shot down or a bomb being planted inside. But that's just a conspiracy theory, nothing more. Although Russia still refuses to give the plane fragments back to Poland.

Or Professor Stephen Hawking, who promoted science and atheism, which goes against the Orthodox Christian ideology, which is popular in Russia (and as you probably know, Putin is a quite religious person). It's not disclosed why exactly he passed away, but his death happening so soon after the Skripal incident is a pure coincidence.

What I want to say is, your list can be absurdely long.
It could be, although my list only contained Russian citizens and Russians connected to Boris Berezovsky and Mikhail Khodorkovsky who have died suddenly. I don't believe Kaczynski is either of those things.

Nor is Hawking - although he has suffered from Motor Neurone Disease (specifically ALS) for over 50 years and wasn't originally expected to live more than two after his diagnosis.

Uhm... If you weren't being sarcastic, then what were you trying to say? Perhaps that if a suicide by two different knives is not a suspicious thing to happen in England, then why couldn't Skripals use a military-grade nerve gas to poison themselves?
The guy who committed suicide by stabbing himself five times with two different knives was investigated by the UK police and courts found to be suicide, so whether it seems suspicious or not to you doesn't really matter.

Incidentally, I believe A232 Novichok is an aerosolised powder rather than a gas. I'm sure that if they did use it on themselves, it will become clear in the investigation - if the investigation is allowed to proceed.

I also recall that Theresa May stated that the incident was either due to Russian involvement or due to Russia losing control of its nerve agents. As Russia developed the Novichok agents at sites now in Uzbekistan, which the USA is helping to decommission and decontaminate, the possibility exists that Russia has lost control of the agent.

The response so far from Moscow seems to be that the UK is outright blaming Russia and stating it is responsible for the attack, which isn't the case. No guilt has been assigned and no-one has been convicted extrajudicially - as with Litvinenko, where the UK's prime suspect has never been allowed to stand trial and thus no-one has been found guilty.

Stolichnaya is one of the worst vodkas I have ever had the misfortune to drink.

Family tradition that was picked up when my father worked for Lada in the early 80's. He seems to have fond memories of drinking the stuff with the Russian Lada employees, and the Russians in suits pretending to be Lada employees...

... now I come to think of it, he does have a heart condition.

Can you provide a link to this legal principle of how race/racism is identified in the U.K.? Also, what is racist or even offensive about that flyer? I would like to get @ECGadget's point of view as to whether he or a "true" muslim should be offended by that flyer.

Can you provide a link to this legal principle of how race/racism is identified in the U.K.? Also, what is racist or even offensive about that flyer? I would like to get @ECGadget's point of view as to whether he or a "true" muslim should be offended by that flyer.
No problem.

Its a large piece of legislation, but please be area I have already cited other reasons why all three (as she was not alone) could well have been denied entry.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents

Section 26.1b could well be argued to apply.

The context you will however be missing, is that the far-right in Europe (and the UK) have been attempting to hi-jack LGBT causes as an excuse to carry out anti-Muslim and anti-immigration marches and campaigns. As I said earlier, they would have a slightly better argument if they didn't focus on one group!

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/2017/06/06/lennon-hijacks-gays-sharia-protest/

Last edited:
Back