Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,486 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Holy. Crap. :lol:

Didn't anyone proof-read or edit this stuff?? This is about as cringe-worthy as it is possible to be.

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

Last edited:
Can you guys please take Prince Henry and Princess Merkle back? I'd even be willing to keep James Corden.

Seriously, I'm not sure what the fascination is with Henry and Meghan and why they keep dominating the news. Even the tiny news network here in BFE Michigan covers them continuously and I feel like I know more about their day-to-day lives than I ever care to know. Like I 100% did not need a news story on Henry's frozen penis.

Can you guys please take Prince Henry and Princess Merkle back? I'd even be willing to keep James Corden.

Seriously, I'm not sure what the fascination is with Henry and Meghan and why they keep dominating the news. Even the tiny news network here in BFE Michigan covers them continuously and I feel like I know more about their day-to-day lives than I ever care to know. Like I 100% did not need a news story on Henry's frozen penis.
We can send all three to Canada - basically just America if it was still a Commonwealth Realm. Meets in the middle.

I can not understand why people give a flying hoot about the life of people like that. Royals are the same as Kardashians. Stupid people. And stupid people shouldn't be made famous.

Car mechanics aren't known for their intellectual prowess but anyone who can presumably strip down and reassemble a Land Rover engine isn't a total imbecile. She had bigger buffoons serving as her prime minsters.

Last edited:
But now he's nothing more than a tv celebrity, ratting out his family for money.
When you said royals I thought you were talking about the Queen as well. No one cares about Harry.

Last edited:
Royals are the same as Kardashians. Stupid people.
In fact, for the most part, the Royals are - while obviously well-insulated from the real world and completely lacking in common sense or normal knowledge - actually relatively intelligent and well-educated.

Harry left one of the most prestigious schools in the land with two A-Levels (three/four is normal for that era), at B and D grades, and "cheated" (it went to court; it was accepted he had help but not that he himself had cheated, even though he knew he'd been assisted, given that the teacher who recorded him saying he'd had help won her unfair dismissal case) on his art A-Level to get the B that he needed to get into Sandhurst for his armying.

For quick comparison, William has 12 GCSEs (exams you take at 16 in myriad subjects) and three A-Levels (final school exams at 18), then got a 2:1 in geography from St. Andrews, while Beatrice and Eugenie both stomped Harry with nine GCSEs and three A-Levels each, and a 2:1 BA each.

Chucky Egg got five O-Levels (similar to, but different from, GCSEs) and two A-Levels at B and C, then a 2:2 in History. Nonceprince Andy got six O-Levels and three A-Levels at the same school as Chuck. Former black sheep Ed got nine O-Levels and three A-Levels, also at the same school. Anne was the first ever female royal to actually go to school, and got six O-Levels and three A-Levels.

I can not understand why people give a flying hoot about the life of people like that. Royals are the same as Kardashians. Stupid people. And stupid people shouldn't be made famous.
The Kardashians are essentially America's (Aremina's?) Royals anyways. Who knows? The Royals might have gotten their start the same way as the Kardashians!

Last edited:
That doesn't make any sense to me. I think the British Royal Family got their start by killing other people who also wanted to rule. The only thing Kim Kardashian kills is my interest in celebrity culture.

The Kardashians are essentially America's (Aremina's?) Royals anyways. Who knows? The Royals might have gotten their start the same way as the Kardashians!
Indeed, it's well documented that William the Conqueror and Matilda of Flanders made a sex tapestry together. Their tales, News of the Normandys, were then told by bards in inns across England, and William released a very fetching line of swords and chainmail.

Last edited:
This promotional tweet seems to be getting more replies than normal. Whatever buzz could they be referring to?

Sick burn. Harry's definitely not making any friends with this book.

Oh look, Rishi wants to align with EU countries after all... except striking isn't a sacking offence over there.

Last edited:
For those who lived through it, is this government more hateable and contemptable than Thatcher's governments?

For those who lived through it, is this government more hateable and contemptable than Thatcher's governments?
I was perhaps a bit young to fully grasp the gravitas of the Thatcher gov at the time, but in retrospect, i think this lot are giving her a run for the money.

Thatcher was a lightning rod for that era of 11 years in government, so all the deserved flack was targeted on mostly just her. If you class the current government as from the period of the 2015 general election, when Cameron won a majority, after 'sharing' his first term with The Lib Dems, we've had 5 PM's in that almost 8 years since, so any blame gets spread between those 5 which softens the blow.

I think history will show this current period to be much more damaging.

I was perhaps a bit young to fully grasp the gravitas of the Thatcher gov at the time, but in retrospect, i think this lot are giving her a run for the money.

Thatcher was a lightning rod for that era of 11 years in government, so all the deserved flack was targeted on mostly just her. If you class the current government as from the period of the 2015 general election, when Cameron won a majority, after 'sharing' his first term with The Lib Dems, we've had 5 PM's in that almost 8 years since, so any blame gets spread between those 5 which softens the blow.

I think history will show this current period to be much more damaging.
I think Thatcher was a turning point for Conservatives and ultimately created the brand of conservatism that the current shower adhere to.

Thatch had a recession and loads of unemployed people but I think she had some kind of a plan to get out of it. Unfortunately it involved selling off our nationalised industries and turning the middle class into shareholders, a lot of whom sold those shares off to foreign conglomerates.

I think today's Tories have fewer unemployed as they've rebranded them as zero hour workers. They're desperately trying to avoid a winter of discontent situation by further eroding the right to strike but even if the electorate aren't fooled and elect a wet Labour government, that government is likely to inherit ashes as our economy has been tanked by Brexit.

This current ruling party seem to be just as openly contemptuous of the poor and working classes but they seem to be more incompetent than the classic two-nation Tories to boot.

Last edited:
If there's one thing I can thank Thatcher for, she's the reason my parents packed her bags and moved to Australia.
Even as a 9 year old I could understand why.

Not yet, but it is getting closer each day.

It's currently undergoing its own 'Clause 28' moment.

Back