Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,934 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have Sky Stream which is essentially Sky Glass but without the Glass bit. I'd been waiting for this sort of thing for a while, full Sky package without the need for a satellite dish.

Helps when you can negotiate a decent deal, I pay £69 per month, for that I get the full entertainment package which include all the Sky original channels and Netflix, Sky Sports (essential for me for F1, football and golf), kids TV and my fibre broadband.

It's decent enough and the fact it's internet driven doesn't bother me, I get a solid 80mbps and it's always been enough.

I have Sky Stream which is essentially Sky Glass but without the Glass bit. I'd been waiting for this sort of thing for a while, full Sky package without the need for a satellite dish.

Helps when you can negotiate a decent deal, I pay £69 per month, for that I get the full entertainment package which include all the Sky original channels and Netflix, Sky Sports (essential for me for F1, football and golf), kids TV and my fibre broadband.

It's decent enough and the fact it's internet driven doesn't bother me, I get a solid 80mbps and it's always been enough.
That's the issue with Sky though isn't it. Unless you keep an eye out on those bills. Once you get past the 6/12 month 'offers' your direct debit starts to escalate. Before you realise your £69 per month bill is now a £93 a month.

We're on the cusp of ditching Sky. Again. As on top of all the streaming services we have, which also need culling too to be fair, Sky has become expensive once more. It's a pain as i'll have go back up into the attic to dig out my old Freesat DVR and use that for a few months whilst we wait for Sky to contact us again to tempt us back with a new offer. :indiff:

Last edited:
Just signed up for Sky an hour ago :dunce:

Moving to a new house and they had the option of everything apart from Virgin, which isnt a bad thing. Their customer services are the worst I have ever had to deal with.

Went for Sky "Gigafast", so 900+mbps download, with basic TV package, and £105 Quidco cashback. Although I never turn the TV on unless its a Royal Wedding/Funeral, or the Euros/World Cup is on, but for £10 extra a month for the TV box - might as well.

That's the issue with Sky though isn't it. Unless you keep an eye out on those bills. Once you get past the 6/12 month 'offers' your direct debit starts to escalate. Before you realise your £69 per month bill is now a £93 a month.

We're on the cusp of ditching Sky. Again. As on top of all the streaming services we have, which also need culling too to be fair, Sky has become expensive once more. It's a pain as i'll have go back up into the attic to dig out my old Freesat DVR and use that for a few months whilst we wait for Sky to contact us again to tempt us back with a new offer. :indiff:

100%. I made sure the deal was secured for the full term. Also find it annoying in this day and age we have to pay extra for UHD, especially as there’s only a handful of channels that utilise it.

Can somebody post this on Twitter for me, I'd do it myself, but the free speech absolutist has banned me from the platform (though he still spam e-mails asking me to sign in to see my notifications)

1707433787850.png

Last edited:
They've had 15 years defunding the police and all public services, and now talk about bringing order to the streets like it hasn't been their fault or responsibility for over a decade?

Has anyone been following the fallout from the awful Willy Wonka Experience in Glasgow over the weekend?

The event, advertised mainly through AI generated art on Facebook conned a load of families into visiting what ended up being a bunch of low-budget props in a warehouse.
20240229_083626.jpg

It has spawned some incredible images of the sheer mediocrity of it, with the unfortunate actors having responded equally in criticism of what they were employed to do.
20240228_213850.jpg

20240228_213853.jpg

And the creme of the crop is this depressed Oompa Loompa
20240228_213726.jpg

The actor playing Willy Wonka has spoken out about the "15-page script of AI generated gibberish", and the actor playing the Oompa Loompa has explained how badly stocked with sweets that she was having to ration jelly beans to 3 per child to avoid running out.

For an experience about a chocolate factory, the kids were given half a cup of Lemonade and some non-chocolate sweets.

The discourse and fallout on TwXtter has been fantastic, with of course the main part of the experience being that they stuck to the book very well - kids that entered the chocolate factory didn't have a good time at all.

Labour and Tories poll under 20% combined, and yet Reform are still only 6th. You love to see it.

Last edited:
More normal island news, as AP withdraws a picture of Our Kate - absent for so long following her abdominal surgery - with a mandatory "kill notice" to all outlets on the basis that "it appears the source has manipulated the image".

There are certainly some oddities in the image, which was used widely across social media to mark Mothering Sunday...

I mean, the cutting in on those windows is awful.

It was too late for the Express whose late-night preview cover has the image front and centre.

More normal island news, as AP withdraws a picture of Our Kate - absent for so long following her abdominal surgery - with a mandatory "kill notice" to all outlets on the basis that "it appears the source has manipulated the image".

There are certainly some oddities in the image, which was used widely across social media to mark Mothering Sunday...

I mean, the cutting in on those windows is awful.
Considering the BBC made this photo their top story on the BBC News website yesterday, it is both bizarre and slightly hilarious that the Palace seemingly can't even get something as simple as a family photo release correct.

I didn't notice Louis's fingers, but that's almost certainly a AI generated flaw - sure, kids cross their fingers for various reasons, but crossing those fingers like that? That's a neat trick.

It was too late for the Express whose late-night preview cover has the image front and centre.
Too bad we can't get a kill notice on the newspaper, lol. Instead they'll probably print a tiny apology buried on page seven.

I didn't notice Louis's fingers, but that's almost certainly a AI generated flaw - sure, kids cross their fingers for various reasons, but crossing those fingers like that? That's a neat trick.
As someone on the hypermobility spectrum, that one doesn't even make my radar twitch :lol: The ring finger is perhaps unusually straight (mine gets pulled towards the index by the middle finger around it, but then I'm physically older than I used to be and my flavour isn't necessarily that severe), but otherwise it's a low-grade one. Same with girl's double-crossed legs - I used to do that all the time when I was less old.

I noticed smaller boy's jumper pattern on the right arm is misaligned, larger boy might be missing a foot, girl's left wrist is unusually out of line with her cuff, girl's skirt overlaps the jumper on her right hip, girl's left thigh is very thin compared to the other one, smaller boy's kinematics are odd (weight on left hand & right leg, but hips are tilt left and shoulders tilt right), and Kate's been photographed at an entirely different time of day than everyone else.

Also, oddly green trees compared to early March (and what I can see out of my own window).

Back