Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,481 comments

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

• The Brexit Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change UK/The Independent Group

• Conservative Party

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Labour Party

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Will Not/Cannot Vote

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last edited:
More normal island news, as AP withdraws a picture of Our Kate - absent for so long following her abdominal surgery - with a mandatory "kill notice" to all outlets on the basis that "it appears the source has manipulated the image".

There are certainly some oddities in the image, which was used widely across social media to mark Mothering Sunday...

I mean, the cutting in on those windows is awful.

aWGVNo6_460s.jpg

I give the chancer 6 months before he gets kicked out at the next GE.

6 months? It’s only been 2 weeks and he’s thinking of quitting as Rochdale MP to run for Manchester mayor.

Man of the people. Just not the ones who elected him to serve as their representative.

So who wants to place odds on which will happen first: the wall getting vandalized, or the tree being chainsawed down or set on fire? There's no way it's going to be just left alone, unguarded and out in the open like that.

Last edited:
Well, that sure didn't take long. Though I reckon the locals weren't too keen on the idea of a bunch of tourists wandering in to gawk at it.

Thoughts and prayers...

... for all those inevitably dying of cancer that will do so slowly, waiting for appointments, waiting for scans, waiting for results, waiting for treatment, those cycling to chemo because of hospital car park fees... those that end up waiting to die in a hospice, with friends and family worrying about how those that remain will cover the bills.

... then maybe for Kate.

Last edited:
Bloody awful really. She came out of hospital and tried to keep a low profile, but she was hounded and hounded to the point where people were trying to steal her medical records until she finally had to go public with it, when she clearly didn’t want to.

Why would anyone be so interested? I know shes a royal and a celebrity and everything, but christ. And people wonder why I hate everyone.

Bloody awful really. She came out of hospital and tried to keep a low profile, but she was hounded and hounded to the point where people were trying to steal her medical records until she finally had to go public with it, when she clearly didn’t want to.

Why would anyone be so interested? I know shes a royal and a celebrity and everything, but christ. And people wonder why I hate everyone.
Because the royals need the limelight. So you gotta share the bad news too.

Betcha took the bank holiday when they got married though...

I’m self employed I haven’t taken a bank holiday since about 2007

Because the royals need the limelight. So you gotta share the bad news too.

And if a mother of several small children doesn’t want to immediately tell the world she might be dead soon, it’s fair game to try to hack her medical records - because the health status of the royals is really so important to our day to day lives for some reason.

Last edited:
I’m self employed I haven’t taken a bank holiday since about 2007

Good for you.

And if a mother of several small children doesn’t want to immediately tell the world she might be dead soon, it’s fair game to try to hack her medical records - because the health status of the royals is really so important to our day to day lives for some reason.
They inflict themselves upon us... they get their agency once His Majesties Revenue & Customs give us ours.

edit.. oh wait, you're self employed, HMRC probably less of a burden for you.

Last edited:
They inflict themselves upon us... they get their agency once His Majesties Revenue & Customs give us ours.

Why not go to their house then, go through their bins, peep through the windows, you never know what you might find. It’s not like she’s a person, she’s no right to any kind of privacy. Ever.

oh wait, you're self employed, HMRC probably less of a burden for you.

Are you daft? Ha!

Last edited:
Why not go to their house then, go through their bins, peep through the windows, you never know what you might find. It’s not like she’s a person, she’s no right to any kind of privacy.
Well, I'm too busy generating tax revenue to ensure they get the best of care whilst those I know suffer and die.

So she deserves to have her medical records made public. Got ya.
I've not advocated for that.

Having said that, I'm less inclined to care. It's not like when insurance companies get a hold of her records they'll deny her a mortgage, ruining her life, like they will/have/may well do to the Royal family's entirely disenfranchised subjects.

Kate will be okay, she'll be more okay than any of us until she dies, and her family will still be massively over privileged when she does. She has a legacy, she will be remembered. Care about your own, not your unelected, unremovable, billionaire rulers.

I've not advocated for that.

Having said that, I'm less inclined to care. It's not like when insurance companies get a hold of her records they'll deny her a mortgage, ruining her life, like they will/have/may well do to the Royal family's entirely disenfranchised subjects.

Kate will be okay, she'll be more okay than any of us until she dies, and her family will still be massively over privileged when she does. She has a legacy, she will be remembered. Care about your own, not your unelected, unremovable, billionaire rulers.

So let’s say the inconsequential portion of your income tax that goes to the sovereign grant instead went into the NHS, and the royal family was dissolved and abolished - taking all of the tradition, pomp and ceremony with them that thousands of people travel from all over the world every year to come and have a ganders at. Do you think the country would be in a better place? Do you think the hospitals would be run better?

Last edited:
Her actual health isn't anybody's business unless it's constitutionally relevant - insofar as the Royal Family is constitutionally relevant at all - and she's not Queen yet, so it isn't. That's the line. The rest of it is definitely in the public interest.

The thing where she totally vanished for three months, then was papped looking like dark-dyed-hair Britney, put out a hopeless "I'm fine" image that clearly taken months ago and clumsily composited from several other images, took the blame for that (while William took the credit for the photo), then was papped again walking through Windsor looking like her own stunt double, and has now come out and said she has the cancer but was waiting to talk about it until the Easter holidays so the kids could be off school (that's the second, third, and fourth in line to the throne, and there's been a half-term since then), was moronic.

Whoever handled the PR here needs a slap, because "We'll say you need surgery, then you'll go into hospital and then be radio-silent for months until everyone's conspiracy-theoried you dead and even then we'll just push out faked proof-of-life nonsense until it's intolerable and you have to share private medical information" was a stupid plan.

Virtually any other plan, even if she didn't want filming/snapping looking like she's dealing with the effects of surgery and onward medication (my wife had major abdominal surgery at the same time; we kind of know what it's like), would have been better.

the royal family was dissolved and abolished - taking all of the tradition, pomp and ceremony with them that thousands of people travel from all over the world every year to come and have a ganders at.
The palaces in Germany, Austria, Italy, Russia and France still get loads of tourists despite being republics.

Worst argument. The idea that tourism would disappear if the UK abolished the monarchy is laughable; do you really think nobody would visit Windsor Castle or Buckingham Palace given that an Emperor hasn't sat in Hofburg since 1918 nor a monarch in Versailles since 1871? It's even a sign of insecurity and an accidental admission that they have no real purpose other than tourism if tourism is what the argument relies on.

Her actual health isn't anybody's business unless it's constitutionally relevant - insofar as the Royal Family is constitutionally relevant at all - and she's not Queen yet, so it isn't. That's the line. The rest of it is definitely in the public interest.

The thing where she totally vanished for three months, then was papped looking like dark-dyed-hair Britney, put out a hopeless "I'm fine" image that clearly taken months ago and clumsily composited from several other images, took the blame for that (while William took the credit for the photo), then was papped again walking through Windsor looking like her own stunt double, and has now come out and said she has the cancer but was waiting to talk about it until the Easter holidays so the kids could be off school (that's the second, third, and fourth in line to the throne, and there's been a half-term since then), was moronic.

Whoever handled the PR here needs a slap, because "We'll say you need surgery, then you'll go into hospital and then be radio-silent for months until everyone's conspiracy-theoried you dead and even then we'll just push out faked proof-of-life nonsense until it's intolerable and you have to share private medical information" was a stupid plan.

Virtually any other plan, even if she didn't want filming/snapping looking like she's dealing with the effects of surgery and onward medication (my wife had major abdominal surgery at the same time; we kind of know what it's like), would have been better.
Judging by the reported timeline, half term was potentially BEFORE she was diagnosed with cancer and certainly before she began treatment. And even if not that, how long should she have been given to tell her children that she had cancer. The delay and stalling has been stated in her video as not being about her. It's been about THEM. I hope someone has some respect for the fact that you can't just go home from diagnosis and say, "Hi kids, I'm home. Oh, and I've got cancer"

Not referring to you here @Famine but in the joyous royal bashing going on in this thread, there seems to be a complete lack of caring about the effect of this all on 3 young kids. I don't care how "priviledged" they are, they don't deserve the attitude being shown here. And it's hardly their fault that someone else gets worse treatment than their mother either.

That's not to say that the edited photo wasn't a disaster, it clearly was. Who knows who at the palace came up with that idea, I'm of the opinion that Kate probably had little input, though, since she was otherwise occupied having chemotherapy at the time.

Regardless of people's views, I do hope they will be allowed some privacy during the treatment. Although the chance of that happening seems low frankly as no doubt everyone will be checking whether her hair has fallen out every time she goes outside.

Back