Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,567 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

• Green Party

• Labour Party

• Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

• Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Results are only viewable after voting.
So there's a New Yorker article delving into the Lucy Letby case that has got Twitter mildly excited.

Brits can't access it (because of contempt of court rules), but those from outside the UK are free to read what is a compelling account of the situation.

If it's this one than the Wayback Machine did the trick for me.

[EDIT] I'd never heard anything about this case and I'm glad I wasn't on the jury that convicted her. The consensus outside of this New Yorker article seems to be that she was guilty as sin and I'm not sure if I'd be a conspiracy theorist were I to suspect reasonable doubt based on the article. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Last edited:
Many many rumblings about an election announcement tonight - about flippin time.
Starmer's Labour are very very very far from the messiahs, but compared to the near 15 year stretch of Cameron/May/Johnson/Truss/Sunak governments, it's just no contest.

Locally there's a chance of having a non-Tory MP for the first time in the constituency's history. Since 1950 there have been just 4 MPs elected from here and they were all Conservatives with majorities of at least 10%, and usually 50% of the vote. I am deep in enemy territory waving my Lib Dem flag.

Last edited:
If Labour win the general election, they get 10 years to complain about the mess they inherited and blame everything on the previous government. :indiff:

If Labour win the general election, they get 10 years to complain about the mess they inherited and blame everything on the previous government. :indiff:
5 years, then the Tories will get back in.

4th July - predicting the SNP will go all-in with an Independence Day themed campaign.

Last edited:
Aw, I hope not. I'm out of the country until the 14th. Hope we get a little more notice but I suspect the Tories are toast either way.

EBD0679A-E8C1-4706-9135-EC8875E51E54.jpeg

Things Can Only Get Wetter

I know putting a roof over one's head is unaffordable these days, but can Britain not afford an umbrella for the poor bugger? One of those yellow Paddington Bear raincoats? Bin liner?
He’s richer than the King - can probably afford a towel to dry off afterwards, the moron.

I know putting a roof over one's head is unaffordable these days, but can Britain not afford an umbrella for the poor bugger? One of those yellow Paddington Bear raincoats? Bin liner?
They spunked a load of money (£10 million?) on a press briefing room to once again cringitate the United States but this is how they announce the election.

At least they'll get a shot, I don't think there is any doubt in my mind that Labour will win and at least we will then know whether the grass is greener definitively.

ID info for UK voters

All those 60+ IDs acceptable - who does that age group support?
No student IDs, under-25 rail passes, etc - who does that age group not support?

Pure corruption and everyone admits it

I don’t want to elect any of these weird people to be my ‘leaders’ so I’m not going to vote.
Draw a box on your ballot paper, write NOTA next to it, put a cross in it, and put it in the box.

Apathy is acceptance of these 'weird people', actively voting and spoiling your ballot in this way demonstrates your actual feelings on the matter.

Alternatively, just vote Green, you are effectively not voting for a leader (since they'll never win), but they do stand for electoral reform, which everybody should be for if you believe in democracy.

Last edited:
They spunked a load of money (£10 million?) on a press briefing room to once again cringitate the United States but this is how they announce the election.
£2.6 million, but that room is only for government use and this was considered a party political message.

I don’t want to elect any of these weird people to be my ‘leaders’ so I’m not going to vote.
Then you are happy with what other people choose for you.

As a representative democracy, you won't be electing a leader, only a person to represent your area at the national parliament. If it's not important to you who that is... 🤷‍♂️

Back