Britain - The Official Thread

• Thread starter Ross
  • 12,641 comments

How will you vote in the 2024 UK General Election?

• Conservative Party

• Green Party

• Labour Party

• Liberal Democrats

• Other (Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland)

• Other Independents

• Other Parties

• Spoiled Ballot

• Will Not/Cannot Vote

Results are only viewable after voting.
@Famine

Poll reset perhaps?
Lets Go Reaction GIF by Top Talent

£2.6 million, but that room is only for government use and this was considered a party political message.
I apologise for the incorrect figure.

But... how is announcing an election not government business? It wasn't something exclusively about or affecting the Tories.

But... how is announcing an election not government business? It wasn't something exclusively about or affecting the Tories.
If he had just announced the election that would be government business, in his role as Prime Minister.

Also talking about your achievements in office (must have been some, can't think of any at the moment) and future policies is party business, in his role as leader of the Conservative Party.

4th July - predicting the SNP will go all-in with an Independence Day themed campaign.
So predictable. I should work in political campaigning.

Swinney says 4 July is 'independence day'​

Scottish First Minister John Swinney has called 4 July "independence day".
"We will win our country's independence and win the powers to bring about a better Scotland through democratic pressure," he tells supporters in Edinburgh.
"The SNP will always fight to further Scotland's interests under any constitutional circumstances: Put simply - we put Scotland first."

I don't think it's so much the announcement of an election that is the issue, it's the fact he went on to talk about the Conservative party's achievements, and suggested that an opposing party doesn't have a plan etc.

I'm not sure if he could have used the room had he just announced an election instead.

Sunak at the Titanic museum today whilst all his rats abandon the ship
Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

I mean, come TF on... who in their right mind thought it was a good idea for Rishi Sunak to visit the ******* Titanic museum in an election campaign??

No wonder Sunak is taking the day off to speak to his advisers - though at this rate, I reckon they should be advising him to stop talking, stop going anywhere and just give up already.

Last edited:
To those lamenting over missing out on Portillo moments due to all the MPs not running for election, jumping before they are kicked the **** out, these are their Portillo moments.

Last edited:
It appears the Tories are more concerned with reintroducing National Service than supporting the National Health Service. Sounds like a sop to those Billy Britains who are well past the eligible age for any kind of mandatory conscription themselves.

Last edited:
It appears the Tories are more concerned with reintroducing National Service than supporting the National Health Service. Sounds like a sop to those Billy Britains who are well past the eligible age for any kind of mandatory conscription themselves.
Not only are they (far) too old for it to directly effect them now, but they were also just too young to have effected them last time we had it. They just believe its a good thing for other people to have to go. Obviously don’t think much of their own grandchildren.

Last edited:
Looking to dabble...wouldn't mind some recipes.
I was expecting it to be like a cucumber sandwich with cream cheese but substituting fresh cucumber slices with pickle chips but apparently the cheese is semi-firm and the pickle is a spreadable chutney. Either sounds good. I really enjoy a cucumber sandwich, especially with lots of fresh ground pepper.

Anyway I was going to bring up the national service proposal but apparently it's already being discussed.

Sounds like a sop to those Billy Britains who are well past the eligible age for any kind of mandatory conscription themselves.
Anyway I was going to bring up the national service proposal but apparently it's already being discussed.
Insecure old bastards who never had to lift a finger themselves want younger generations to keep their mottes and baileys secure as they continue to rot in nostalgic delusion. The generations who had everything handed to them on a plate demanding those shafted with sod all to "give something back".

It's a ridiculous lie to swindle the old vote. As is the bribe about increasing the pension.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, at the Torygraph, a checks notes Hamish de Bretton-Gordon thinks Britain's youth owe his generation an enforced stint on the frontlines as a thank-you for "supporting" them during furlough (during which they were twelve and thirteen years of age):

Screenshot_20240528-235751.png
Screenshot_20240528-235811.png

Screenshot_20240528-235857.png

Last edited:
He wants to be Captain Mainwaring, leading a new Dads Army to teach the younguns how to fight Putin.
Stupid boy. The hopefully outgoing government is getting reamed over this idea. Those Tories don't like it up 'em.

In fact, this senior Welsh Conservative claims the idea is popular amongst Welsh youth. Who does she think she is kidding?

Last edited:
I suspect they would find that there would be significant violent pushback against actual conscription like this. People simply will not do it. It's one thing for countries that never gave it up and it's a known part of their culture, but the idea of mandatory service is basically a non-starter anywhere that doesn't have it already.

And that's before you get into the fact that young people in general are not exactly that impressed with how their countries are being governed at the moment, and definitely do not feel that they're getting good value out of the social structure and systems that are in place. The idea that they should "give something back" is laughably ignorant.

Stupid boy. The hopefully outgoing government is getting reamed over this idea. Those Tories don't like it up 'em.

In fact, this senior Welsh Conservative claims the idea is popular amongst Welsh youth. Who does she think she is kidding?
Sorry to bang on about this but perhaps some Labour wag should canvass support for a return of the Home Guard. Those keyboard warriors would soon change their tune if the prospect arose of their finding themselves in the front line.

His name is Dan, and he's desperate:

GOx826EXkAIW3js.jpeg

Context: A Labour shadow minister was accused by Hodges and others on the right of failing to pay tax on the sale of her house. HMRC and Greater Manchester Police investigated and found no wrongdoing.

Last edited:
Other countries with obedience training don't have exemptions for footballers. Pretty sure Finland, Switzerland and South Korea don't.

A lovely application of rules are for thee, O plebians.

Back