British GT Pack Offers a Fun Way To Get Better Acquainted with an Unfamiliar Track

• Thread starter BOCBRacing
  • 0 comments
United States
United States
Before the release of the British GT Pack and the included ability to have mixed GT3 and GT4 grids, I would learn a track I am not familiar with by running races with the AI on low so I could follow them and learn the flow without the pack driving away from me. It is always easier to follow AI rather than solo practice. Well, the low AI brakes way too early and is extremely slow on exit upsetting the flow and delaying my reaching a decent level of proficiency. It was an ok way to learn a track but this is far better, at least for me, so I thought I would share.

I worked on learning Oulton Park today in the 720S GT3 by racing a mixed grid of 16 set to max skill and max aggressiveness and starting 16th, behind the high AI GT4 entries. I run the first lap like it's an aggressive formation or warmup lap to allow the field to sort itself out and get up to speed; do not pass anyone. On the subsequent laps, you will be able to run much harder, learn the proper lines, hit correct gearing, and develop a slightly scaled down idea of the braking requirements. The GT4 on 100/100 are really fun to follow in a GT3 and, unless you make a major mistake, they will not get away from you. Once I get the track down (to a degree) I pick them off one at a time gaining good information on possible overtake locations.

This really sped up the learning curve and made it more enjoyable for me.
Cheers

Back