BRZ Drift '17 - Change it into a Circuit Racer?

Ron_Justice
I won the Ultra High RPM Turbo for the BRZ Drift '17 from the daily mileage ticket. The car looks great and an idea formed - I'm not a fan of Drifting but I thought I could buy the car with the hope of turning / tuning it into a Circuit Racer as opposed to a Drifter. PP and BHP (1000+) look tantalising, but obviously the cars been 'professionally' tuned to be a drift car. Do we think it's possible to adjust Gearing, Suspension, LSD etc. to fundamentally change the cars default characteristics into a capable Circuit Racer? I assume so, as it works the other way around. I tried to do it, but I'm just not knowledgeable or patient enough to figure out the best course of action. Does anyone have a tune already or have any advice on the fundamental direction(s) to take with the various parts/setting?

I won the Ultra High RPM Turbo for the BRZ Drift '17 from the daily mileage ticket. The car looks great and an idea formed - I'm not a fan of Drifting but I thought I could buy the car with the hope of turning / tuning it into a Circuit Racer as opposed to a Drifter. PP and BHP (1000+) look tantalising, but obviously the cars been 'professionally' tuned to be a drift car. Do we think it's possible to adjust Gearing, Suspension, LSD etc. to fundamentally change the cars default characteristics into a capable Circuit Racer? I assume so, as it works the other way around. I tried to do it, but I'm just not knowledgeable or patient enough to figure out the best course of action. Does anyone have a tune already or have any advice on the fundamental direction(s) to take with the various parts/setting?
I drove this car a little bit around the Suzuka East course and it seems promising. I made some adjustments to the suspension, yet I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. I did buy the fully customizable manual transmission to go with it to get the gearing appropriate. It does limit it to 5 gears. I would guess the sequential manual will add a 6th gear. I didn't change the tires.

I wouldn't bother to slap the Ultra High RPM turbo on it because the horsepower and torque curves are ideal for track use. However, if you're doing an all out speed run (0-1KM) or you're on a track like High Speed Ring, Fuji, Daytona, or Special Stage X, then I would say add the turbo.

Here's some snapshots of what I changed. Give it a run.

Attachments

• Drift BRZ Grip Setup 1.jpg
    Drift BRZ Grip Setup 1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Drift BRZ Grip Setup 2.jpg
    Drift BRZ Grip Setup 2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 197
I won an extra BRZ drift car during the ticket glitch and just tuned it for racing instead of drifting last night. Changed all settings to align with my regular road car 2JZ swapped and tuned BRZ and took it for a spin around Trial Mountain. It did good but the back end still wants to get happy sometimes. Full disclosure: I was using RS tires.
Tonight I’ll try adjusting the LSD settings more and change the wheels to see if that helps at all. Last resort will be to back down on the HP some or maybe use ballast, but I believe this definitely has potential to be a fun track car. I’m sure it’s a gas guzzler though so wouldn’t count on entering any events where fuel usage is a variable.

I don't have a BRZ per see, but I do have a Silvia with a BRZ engine, but I had to tune it down to 600pp which means I had to nerf over 70% of it's horsepower(the engine is pushing about 515hp now) and I'm running around 200kgs of ballast in the rear to balance the weight distribution.

Then I widened the first two gears to holdback it's wheelspin to the most it can, and shortened the final two gears for about 320km/h of top speed while the third gear is the transition...feels pretty quick on straights still.

But I noticed a severe understeer issue followed by a brutal snap oversteer on corner exits, quite a reminder of my BY9 swapped MR-2 in which the snap oversteer still exists.

So...I guess the engine being so ****ing powerful is the problem here instead of the whole car?

(With this being said, my S13 is running sports hard in the front and sports softs in the rear to accommodate just under 600pp and not lose more power, tho)

I don't have a BRZ per see, but I do have a Silvia with a BRZ engine, but I had to tune it down to 600pp which means I had to nerf over 70% of it's horsepower(the engine is pushing about 515hp now) and I'm running around 200kgs of ballast in the rear to balance the weight distribution.

Then I widened the first two gears to holdback it's wheelspin to the most it can, and shortened the final two gears for about 320km/h of top speed while the third gear is the transition...feels pretty quick on straights still.

But I noticed a severe understeer issue followed by a brutal snap oversteer on corner exits, quite a reminder of my BY9 swapped MR-2 in which the snap oversteer still exists.

So...I guess the engine being so ****ing powerful is the problem here instead of the whole car?

(With this being said, my S13 is running sports hard in the front and sports softs in the rear to accommodate just under 600pp and not lose more power, tho)
My best guess is that it’s mostly the engine as it is designed for drifting and shredding tires. There are tweaks you can make to help reduce those tendencies but I feel like they’ll always be there to some degree because we can’t fine tune and manipulate the power curve exactly as we want, we’re stuck with whatever the game gives it as we add or remove power via ECU or Restrictor. Changing trans gearing only goes so far as well, in my experience.
FWIW I have the same setup (Silvia with the BRZ drift engine swapped) and that car will only ever drift for me. I tried and tried to tame that one to make a decent race car but have yet to find the right tune to make it consistently predictable. I have the actual BRZ drift car more race worthy than the swapped Silvia, but it too likes to kick the rear out if you’re not careful with the throttle exiting turns.

Alright, I’ve got pretty much all the tuning sorted out in the BRZ drift car turned race car. I’ve got it to stop kicking out the rear end completely which surprised me, but I need to make some final minor adjustments to the LSD settings and I think I was too conservative with the transmission gearing for 1st and 2nd, but once I get those sorted, hopefully tonight, I’ll post the tune for anyone interested. Currently running a 1:53.XX time trial lap at Trial Mountain and drop at least 1 second each time I hone in the settings a bit more.

Alright, I’ve got pretty much all the tuning sorted out in the BRZ drift car turned race car. I’ve got it to stop kicking out the rear end completely which surprised me, but I need to make some final minor adjustments to the LSD settings and I think I was too conservative with the transmission gearing for 1st and 2nd, but once I get those sorted, hopefully tonight, I’ll post the tune for anyone interested. Currently running a 1:53.XX time trial lap at Trial Mountain and drop at least 1 second each time I hone in the settings a bit more.
I'm interested on this tune you found out, and I'll see if I can carry over to the Silvia(completely different chassis I know, but at least I should haev a clue on what to do with the suspension).

I noticed if you max out rear aero, it fixes a lot of instabilities like losing of balance when breaking, weird oversteer and etc.

I'm interested on this tune you found out, and I'll see if I can carry over to the Silvia(completely different chassis I know, but at least I should haev a clue on what to do with the suspension).
I didn't have time to log on last night but will post it when I get on tonight after work.

This is not a final tune as I’m still working on the transmission and LSD, but everything else is basically nailed down in my opinion. This tune is not for any specific event or PP limit, just trying to make it fun for normal track driving and racing instead of dedicated to drifting. The car is stable and predictable around Trial Mountain and Laguna Seca where I’ve been testing it, but the transmission gearing still needs a good bit of work so maybe disregard that part. Also, I added the High RPM turbo after I took these as I feel the car needs the extra HP, especially at Trial Mountain.

Attachments

• 3EC0C91E-8256-4CF3-97AA-1B90E70DF7CD.jpeg
    3EC0C91E-8256-4CF3-97AA-1B90E70DF7CD.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 95
  • A47D086D-B99D-4ECF-AB5F-653D1BF326E8.jpeg
    A47D086D-B99D-4ECF-AB5F-653D1BF326E8.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 15EBDD68-D057-4BAB-ABF6-E187171620F7.jpeg
    15EBDD68-D057-4BAB-ABF6-E187171620F7.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 94
After adding the High RPM turbo and getting the transmission gearing a little more dialed in this is now my fastest non-Gr. car of all the cars I’ve time trialed at Trial Mountain. This includes among many others the swapped M3, swapped Tundra and swapped Lancia.

This is not a final tune as I’m still working on the transmission and LSD, but everything else is basically nailed down in my opinion. This tune is not for any specific event or PP limit, just trying to make it fun for normal track driving and racing instead of dedicated to drifting. The car is stable and predictable around Trial Mountain and Laguna Seca where I’ve been testing it, but the transmission gearing still needs a good bit of work so maybe disregard that part. Also, I added the High RPM turbo after I took these as I feel the car needs the extra HP, especially at Trial Mountain.
Thanks for this, I’m trying to integrate it into a ‘16 86 GT Limited. It’s a good starting point, the suspension & LSD settings are better, but still a work in progress. Sadly, its a 6 speed, so the gearbox info was less helpful.

The only reason I care is because I had the Ti ConRods already and won the S Cam today. I’ll have to see if the U Turbo is even available for this car.

This is a derivative of both of your efforts with this car and it is a stone cold killer. The gearbox is spot-on I think, but may possibly be limiting its top speed.

The first version is for tracks with fuel burn, specifically Sarthe. That does not mean it is efficient. At FM6 you are limited to 2 laps, but you’re going to need tires by that point anyway if using RM’s. It is so fast that it doesn’t matter.

The second variant is for tracks where fuel is not a concern as you can not get more than a lap around Sarthe, even at FM6.

3BB7D300-FCB1-4BC2-A732-1955CD9FF3DB.jpeg
4C6CFB5A-41EC-4AF6-BF1E-A279AC34696A.jpeg
9C15E37C-50A8-4BC3-B5F2-E149349AF02B.jpeg

A14BA60A-AE2B-487A-8298-16A87E22FC50.jpeg
F6074741-0323-4842-BDC8-9A4EEB024224.jpeg
67019429-CBCF-4F73-AB34-B59F78FE5984.jpeg

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:
This is a derivative of both of your efforts with this car and it is a stone cold killer. The gearbox is spot-on I think, but may possibly be limiting its top speed.

The first version is for tracks with fuel burn, specifically Sarthe. That does not mean it is efficient. At FM6 you are limited to 2 laps, but you’re going to need tires by that point anyway if using RM’s. It is so fast that it doesn’t matter.

The second variant is for tracks where fuel is not a concern as you can not get more than a lap around Sarthe, even at FM6.

Let me know what you guys think.
Sweet. I’ll apply both of those tunes next time I’m on and also see how your gearbox settings go with my own tune as I wasn’t really happy with my gearing.

@Live25 I tried the RH setup early this morning and can’t keep it from spinning out when decelerating from high speeds in 5th gear. As soon as I let off it gets squirrelly and if I touch steering or brakes at all it’s instantly spinning out of control so need to make adjustments to the LSD and try again. Haven’t tried the RM setup but I’m sure it’s similar to RH setup but maybe a bit more stable in deceleration due to more grip?
The good news is I adjusted my gearing on my build settings to more closely align with yours and it feels a lot better in that aspect but now the tail end wants to step out just a bit in 3rd again where it didn’t before. Ran 3rd highest and 5th highest Time Trial laps at Trial Mountain compared to all my other laps in this car there.

I only drove the RH set-up for 1 lap at Sarthe, it was morbid curiosity to see it at full power. The RM version is the car I’d use personally, I should have clarified that. The LSD is my next tuning goal to tackle, so… That’s awesome the gearing worked out better for you, it felt very smooth to me.

Honestly, I brought the tune here for you guys to perfect, lol. Any input is always appreciated!

I only drove the RH set-up for 1 lap at Sarthe, it was morbid curiosity to see it at full power. The RM version is the car I’d use personally, I should have clarified that. The LSD is my next tuning goal to tackle, so… That’s awesome the gearing worked out better for you, it felt very smooth to me.

Honestly, I brought the tune here for you guys to perfect, lol. Any input is always appreciated!
Gotcha. Yeah I would maybe make some minor changes to gearing if anything, but might not improve anything ultimately. Definitely no major changes needed there. It doesn’t matter how you set the final gear in my experience it’s always going to have more power than any transmission you can fit on it will be capable of maximizing for higher top speeds. You’re always going to max out 5th gear fast no matter what but speed continues to climb even when bouncing off redline for awhile. It’s crazy, but this thing is crazy fast regardless of this downfall.

Definitely needs improvements with the LSD for sure, I’ll mess around more tonight, but this may require other changes when PP limit is a factor. Same with suspension settings. I need to double check to see where mine are compared to yours, but I know I had suspension feeling absolutely dialed in on mine, but I wasn’t limited by PP when setting mine up as I didn’t have a specific event I was tuning it for.

Gotcha. Yeah I would maybe make some minor changes to gearing if anything, but might not improve anything ultimately. Definitely no major changes needed there. It doesn’t matter how you set the final gear in my experience it’s always going to have more power than any transmission you can fit on it will be capable of maximizing for higher top speeds. You’re always going to max out 5th gear fast no matter what but speed continues to climb even when bouncing off redline for awhile. It’s crazy, but this thing is crazy fast regardless of this downfall.

Definitely needs improvements with the LSD for sure, I’ll mess around more tonight, but this may require other changes when PP limit is a factor. Same with suspension settings. I need to double check to see where mine are compared to yours, but I know I had suspension feeling absolutely dialed in on mine, but I wasn’t limited by PP when setting mine up as I didn’t have a specific event I was tuning it for.
When I set the suspension and LSD, I just split the difference between both of your setups, so I’m sure its a little wonky. I’m perfectly fine with turning the Restrictor down for the sake of having the suspension and LSD set properly, so no worries there. I’m curious to see what you come up with.

Thanks again!

I've tried the RM version and it is very good for LM 👍

Stretching the final (speed ~ 350km/h / 220mph) with short shifting, and FM6, three laps are easily achieved :cheers:

IR

Last edited:
I've tried the RM version and it is very good for LM 👍

Stretching the final (speed ~ 350km/h / 220mph) with short shifting, and FM6, three laps are easily achieved :cheers:

IR
That's great, did the tires hold up for 3 laps as well?

After a little more experimenting late last night with no real progress I’ve decided best course is to use my tune that I posted above initially with @Live25 custom trans setup, make a few minor tweaks to its 3rd and maybe 4th gearing and possibly some minor tweaks to the LSD and stick with RS tires then just remove HP as needed to meet PP for certain events. My suspension tune is bang on (for my driving, at least) and Live’s trans is very good I just need to get rid of the cars desire to step out the rear end in 3rd gear. The only Change to LSD needs to be to prevent instability when coasting and braking, but I have a feeling that’ll take trial and error of lowering it 1 click at a time until I find the sweet spot of balance between effective and stable.
Not sure when I’ll get that accomplished but will post setup here once done.

After a little more experimenting late last night with no real progress I’ve decided best course is to use my tune that I posted above initially with @Live25 custom trans setup, make a few minor tweaks to its 3rd and maybe 4th gearing and possibly some minor tweaks to the LSD and stick with RS tires then just remove HP as needed to meet PP for certain events. My suspension tune is bang on (for my driving, at least) and Live’s trans is very good I just need to get rid of the cars desire to step out the rear end in 3rd gear. The only Change to LSD needs to be to prevent instability when coasting and braking, but I have a feeling that’ll take trial and error of lowering it 1 click at a time until I find the sweet spot of balance between effective and stable.
Not sure when I’ll get that accomplished but will post setup here once done.
I’ve got a couple more to finish up for the CfS and then I’ll revisit this one with your suspension and go from there. Unfortunately, the 2 I have to run are going to be very challenging and I may be stuck on them for the rest of the day, but let’s hope not!

That's great, did the tires hold up for 3 laps as well?
In my races/trials only one time I had to run The third lap and it was with wet tires .. I've finished that lap with TCS... :scared: 5 :crazy:.
In the other races when I went to the box, after 2 laps, I had more than one lap left ..

RT

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back