Bugatti La Voiture Noire- One-off Modern Day 57SC Atlantic

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by RocZX, Feb 28, 2019.

1. RocZX

RocZX Premium

Bugatti teases a modern day 57SC Atlantic for Geneva motor show. Rumor is it's a $13million one-off

ProjectF, JoueurGT and bremics like this.
  2. bremics

bremics

Hopefully it ends up in Forza, Forzavista will be the closest I ever get to the interior of one of these things lol.

3. RocZX

RocZX Premium

ProjectF likes this.
  4. McLaren

McLaren Premium

5. Robin

Robin Premium

If they were going for a modern day Atlantic they have missed the mark because it bears hardly any resemblance to it apart from maybe that roof crease. It's not bad looking but it just looks like another Veyron / Chiron with a different bodykit.

6. Castrol96

Castrol96

I love everything but the front end looks a little extraordinary.

7. TexRex

TexRex Premium

[​IMG]

I wonder how much of the tooling that was used to make the Divo was utilized for this.

8. lilmann73

lilmann73

Are the tires painted?

9. 05XR8

05XR8

Should have made this styling for the Veyron. To me, looks way better.

TenEightyOne likes this.
  10. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

I absolutely love it! Just checked my spare change and I'm roughly 13 million short of the required 13 million. I'll have to get a paper round.

Doomotron and OJT6627 like this.
  11. Disco_Volante

Disco_Volante

I don't like this car in particular, but I love coachbuilding, and I love Bugatti for doing this.

I hope there's at least a couple more coachbuilt Bugattis in the works, I'd love to see more of this.

12. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Imagine spending $18 million on something that's just called "The Black Car". It's like Ferrari calling one of its cars "The Ferrari"....oh wait.

13. McLaren

McLaren Premium

True but like The Ferrari, no one is going to call it by its English translation.

La Voiture Noire sounds much nicer off the tongue.

14. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

I quite like Chris Harris' opinion of it:

It's a dumb thing that shouldn't exist. This isn't the way to do coachwork.

Not if you're French or speak French, it sounds like a non-car person giving a really vague description of a random vehicle.

bremics likes this.
  15. kikie

kikie Premium

I want mine in red.

16. Terronium-12

Terronium-12 Moderator

Well that's just sex on wheels, isn't it? I love it.

Doomotron and ferreira like this.
  17. Robin

Robin Premium

Chris Harris really summed it up imo, I do wonder when are Bugatti going to stop making basically re-bodied Veyrons. I get that developing the initial car cost a fortune and took decades but I wish something like the Galibier would get made because at least it's something different, especially as its four door and front engined.

im_seb30 and VXR like this.
  18. Famine

Famine Administrator

They can't do you a car, but there's a windmill.

The idea here isn't to copy the Type 57SC, rather to tap into the same culture today as the original did in 1936. That culture has moved on in the last 83 years, and so the car's design will too. It's retained the ridge line, but then so have all the other cars since the new Bugatti arose.

That said, there's something bothering me about the area behind the front wheel arch. The Chiron and Divo both have the same profile - the windscreen ends almost directly above the front wheel centre, with the a-pillar ending forward of the rear of the wheel. This doesn't. The front wheel seems insanely far forwards by comparison, with even the back of the wheel well ahead of the windscreen.

It seems like a fundamentally different vehicle in terms of the body or chassis structure...

19. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Which he completely ruins by citing Pininfarina, the company who pinned designs that went over multiple Ferrari rebodies themselves....

20. Aphelion

Aphelion

What the... how the hell did you get to that conclusion? Some guy asked them to make it for him. They did. They made one. Why shouldnt it exist? Why is it dumb? Why is it not how to do coach work? Thats litterally exactly how to do coachwork. Because you dont like it?

McLaren likes this.
  21. TexRex

TexRex Premium

I was intrigued, and it doesnt appear as though the wheelbase is any longer. The doors are definitely shorter, with the leading edge a considerable distance from the front wheel arch compared to that of the Divo, but they also appear to be nearer to the rear wheel arch. Since I doubt the engine is any difference, this could be a bit of trickery with the door extending beyond the rear cabin bulkhead. In addition, the windshield pillar is set back from the leading edge of the door compared to the Divo, which makes the hood that much longer.

I think it all could have been accomplished with the existing platform. But then I'm also pretty tired and I could be way off the mark with this assessment.

22. kikie

kikie Premium

I was trying to be funny. :D

La voiture noir and I want mine in red!?

:O

A windmill?

23. VXR

VXR

I said as much on a Facebook post. The Galibier looked more like an Atlantic than this and for the price, you'd think it would've been more bespoke; like, why isn't the side glass curved down and the rear more of an arc? Quite a lazy effort when a coach built car could be anything for that much money.

Robin likes this.
  24. Famine

Famine Administrator

I was also being funny, but in French. Moulin Rouge...

25. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

Is it even a physical thing at this moment in time or are these just renders? (its hard to tell these days)

If the wheel base is the same, which you imagine it would, its a touch shorter at the nose and a touch longer at the tail but not enough that it couldn't be explained by the different body styling. But the base of the screen and the front pillar are a good 10 inches further back and the seat and steering wheel perhaps 7-8 inches further back then they are on the Chiron. Given that the engine practically butts up to the rear bulkhead i can't see how this could be based on the Chiron platform/chassis unless this is just an inaccurate (artist licence) render.

Screen shot 2019-03-06 at 09.54.01.png

bremics and TexRex like this.
  26. Famine

Famine Administrator

The official images are likely touched up to within an inch of the valley, but it is a real thing too:

[​IMG]

bremics and TheCracker like this.
  27. Eunos_Cosmo

Eunos_Cosmo

The Chiron looks much more appealing to me. I do wonder how much somebody would be willing to pay for a one-off Bugatti, as $13m seems completely arbitrary anyways. $20m? $50m? $100m?

28. Famine

Famine Administrator

It's pretty much double the price of a Divo.

29. McLaren

McLaren Premium

I’ve read some rumors the car is going to Ferdinand Piech, arguably, the grandfather behind Bugatti’s current success (& owns 2 Veyrons between his wife and him according to Wiki). If that be the case, the car may be valued at $13m but I wouldn’t be surprised if Piech got some sort of slight, yet-still-ridiculously-high-amount-of-money deal.

30. Sprocket

Sprocket

The most exclusive car in the world, is the one Bugatti will build 0 examples of... And charge Dr. Evil $1 Billion... (Dieselgate= Dr. Piech). How's that for exclusivity.