Built a New Rig with tactile feedback, in a dedicated room.

• Thread starter hawkeyez
  • 45 comments
I had an E Type Jaguar but the roof got stepped on, I think my dad maybe has it in his collection. One Dayi might pick one that’s quite rough and restore it. There’s a guy on youtube that does them and he’s quite good at it.

There are a number of 330P4. Most beautiful car ever made. The big wall of cases are all 1:32 slot cars. All chipped and ready for digital racing.

The single case is all HO.

As for the sim setup, I’m running SimHub with 8 channels off of a StarTech 7.1 external sound card. Currently 2 Dayton Audio BST2 mounted mid center of my back and under the seat. Also 6 Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 exciters mounted upper shoulder “wings” of the back of the seat, lower hip “wings” of the back of the seat, and one each on brake and gas pedal. For amps, I use a Douk Audio 4 channel 4x50 (red dials) to power my exciters in the back of the seat, a NobSound G2 Subwoofer Amp - Mono - 2 channel - 100W to power the 2 BST2s, and a Lepai 2.1 channel 2x40 that I picked up on clearance from Parts Express to power my pedal exciters.

The exciters in the shoulder height “wings” on the seat aren’t the best for feedback. I’ll be trying those elsewhere. When I built the speaker mounts, I went ahead and added 4 extra of the Dayton Audio quick change mounts on the back of the seat, so will be moving these to there to try out. Also have a BST1 that will replace the BST2 under my seat. In addition, picked up 2 more BST2 to try in the hip area “wings” of the back to provide more feedback as my seat has some pretty thick foam.

As for the sim setup, I’m running SimHub with 8 channels off of a StarTech 7.1 external sound card. Currently 2 Dayton Audio BST2 mounted mid center of my back and under the seat. Also 6 Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 exciters mounted upper shoulder “wings” of the back of the seat, lower hip “wings” of the back of the seat, and one each on brake and gas pedal. For amps, I use a Douk Audio 4 channel 4x50 (red dials) to power my exciters in the back of the seat, a NobSound G2 Subwoofer Amp - Mono - 2 channel - 100W to power the 2 BST2s, and a Lepai 2.1 channel 2x40 that I picked up on clearance from Parts Express to power my pedal exciters.

The exciters in the shoulder height “wings” on the seat aren’t the best for feedback. I’ll be trying those elsewhere. When I built the speaker mounts, I went ahead and added 4 extra of the Dayton Audio quick change mounts on the back of the seat, so will be moving these to there to try out. Also have a BST1 that will replace the BST2 under my seat. In addition, picked up 2 more BST2 to try in the hip area “wings” of the back to provide more feedback as my seat has some pretty thick foam.
Sounds like you race and get massaged at the same time haha

i just have six TT-25’s and even I get a decent massage off them haha

Here are some pics. The full board on the back with the BST2 and the mounts for exciters will need to be cut to separate the different exciters and the BST2. Rookie mistake, but hasn’t been an issue as I have t used the 4 mounts yet. And yes, there are some zip ties on those mounts in the wings. They were there to apply a mechanical connection while the adhesive dried. They are solid now, but I left the ties.

For the exciters on the pedals, I drilled a hole in the mount, screwed the top mounting bolt from the pedal through it, and added a nut on the inside to provide a mechanical connection in addition to the adhesive on the mount as I didn’t trust them to stay on with the abuse pedals take.

Attachments

• IMG_9361.jpeg
    IMG_9361.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8568.png
    IMG_8568.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8112.jpeg
    IMG_8112.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7740.jpeg
    IMG_7740.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7739.jpeg
    IMG_7739.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7738.jpeg
    IMG_7738.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 70425120178__9B2A3F22-4600-411E-9F28-F6AE01CDC61B.jpeg
    70425120178__9B2A3F22-4600-411E-9F28-F6AE01CDC61B.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 17
Sounds like you race and get massaged at the same time haha

i just have six TT-25’s and even I get a decent massage off them haha
It could happen, but I’m a “less is more” guy when it comes to the force of the exciters/BSTs. No violent crazy shaking here as I keep the volumes at about half on the amps and my effects range from 80% to 30% in SimHub. Still dialing them in, but the addition of the pedal exciters recently has me recharged to dial all of the others in as well.

I’d have to look at my settings but I found I enjoyed engine vibration, at my feet, rpm on my back, as you wind it out the vibration pretty smoothly transitions from my feet to my back.

I started with gear shift, I have that mono in the middle of my back and a little on the feet. I like the firm clunk when I change gears.

Obviously have curbs left and right, I also found speed curve is nice for going around corners.

i set wheel lock to like 96 or 97 so when I brake I get the rumble if I brake at 100%.

i don’t really know what I’m doing but I am sure enjoying it. Much more fun with than without.

I buried the pucks on the other side of the foam, in the seat and in my back. They’re mounted to the same boards seat and then I the back but I can still feel left and right. It was pretty good and then I had the time to finally mount the one under my pedal board and that rounded it out well.

the only thing I’d maybe change or add is two shakers front and back just to run road surface noise. Subtly.

Could I play without it. For sure, when I first got it setup I notice I was spending too much time paying attention to the vibrations and rumbles. Now I don’t really pay attention at all or really notice them? I think that’s a clue that I’ve got it dialled in pretty good. But sometimes the amps don’t pickup and I start racing and notice it right away that they aren’t working. I’m glad I spent the time to figure it out.

I was going to get that amp you have, red knobs, but I couldnt find info on it whether or not it would work. I got the nobsound ones because somebody said they have their own sound card. I’m running off an old laptop. If I could for surely swap out my nobsounds for two of those amps I would and add two more pucks somewhere, maybe just to the frame.

Right now I have one under feet, one upper mid back running off the same amp, then two in the seat off an amp and two at my sides off an amp.

Does that red knob amp seperate it all like the nobsounds currently do?

I’m with you on the extra it brings. Had knee surgery 3 weeks ago. My man cave (sim racing, slot cars) is in the basement. 16 steps. Couldn’t get down there until today. So had an old wheel and pedals, my old PS4, mounted to a desk, and me in an office chair. No haptics. Man did I miss it all.

The red nob amp has a separate volume for each of the 4 channels. It’s solid, but around $80. The 2.1 channel LePai were $19.99 at Parts Express and each came with 3 amp power supplies.

It all works well with the StarTech sound card.

Last edited:
The red nob amp has a separate volume for each of the 4 channels. It’s solid, but around $80. The 2.1 channel LePai were $19.99 at Parts Express and each came with 3 amp power supplies.

It all works well with the StarTech sound card.
Ok I’ll stick with the nobsound amps. A simple all in one 4-6 channel amp as simple as plugging it in would be ideal. This stuff is so diy it’s really too bad somebody doesn’t throw together a cheap kit.

Six pucks and a six channel amp with built in sound card all for $300 to get people into it easily. I was nervous about buying stuff because there’s no real guide. Resorted to a YouTube video which had links and showed it working in GT7.

SimHub is great but if PS5 allowed audio to pass thru the hdmi while using a headset or if they didn’t remove the optical port people could get into it much easier. Wouldn’t be as good as SimHub is capable of but at least I could utilize them when playing other games too haha

Made some changes. The exciters in the upper “wings” were not doing the trick. Too high, too little tactile feedback due to the position. So I hacked off the top half of the wood panel in the back of my seat, and mounted 2 separate steel panels on either side, each with a BST2. Then I removed the center back BST2, and replaced it with a BST1 mounted lower. Next step is to get some vibration dampening connectors to put in place to further isolate

I think I want to get some sort of neck cushion, I realized if I lean my head back onto the headset bumps and gear shifts make my eyes go blurry ahaha you can really feel it through the headrest and no shaker is mounted there. A cushion might do the trick and take it down some.

Back