Buttkicker for GT5 Pro!!!

• Thread starter Fahim
  • 25 comments
Dear Sir,

I will be buying the buttkicker for my race frame I have had made.
I've been getting mixed response over the compatibilty.

PS3 is optical sound!!!
PS3 DOES NOT HAVE a jack connection.

Buttkicker IS jack socket connection.

That means you cannot have PS3 on optical sound which means THIS IS CRAP.

Hence no surround sound.

Any sound geeks in the forum know a way around this?

Mnay Thanks,

Fahim

Yeah nice thread thanks.

But I think my problem is:

Can you run buttkicker when the PS3 is set to Optical mode?

Any people know the answer to this question?

If you want to get the audio signal directly from the PS3: no.

You can only set one audio output. You can choose the optical output or the multi-AV. If you use the optical output however, there will be some device (like an AV-receiver) you will put that signal in, and you most likely can connect the buttkicker to that device. Otherwise, I don't see why you would want to use the optical output.

I might be able to help you better if you describe what you're planning to do a bit more precisely.

Humm. I think I could have confused people.

This is my setup.

Racing simulator built for the gt5 pro.

40" hdtv
Sony PS3
Logitech z500 5.1 speakers (5 speakers, one vdu and one big bass box which all the speakers connect to.

I connect the vdu up to the ps3 using optical lead as ps3 does not have a jack socket. The vdu then connects to the big bass box aswell with the other 5 speakers.

Now how would I connect a buttkicker to all that?

I know that the buttkicer comes with its own amp, just worried about optical issue.

I'm not sure I can help because:

1) I am technologically simple. :dunce:

2) I did initially find the Buttkicker (Gamer) confusing to hook-up. I now have it set up to work with my Sennheiser headphones. 👍

This solution works well for me: good sound quality & doesn't disturb anyone else (much). I do find the Buttkicker works well with GT5P, in terms of translating sound into "effects".

Hi.

Yeah, I think i'll take photos and show you guys.

This is the best way.

Then we'll find a solution.

On the vdu. There is the Optical connection and a JACK connection.
(you choose which one you'll use. And also on the vdu there is two terminal connections where you use any speaker wire to connect to the bass box.

Thanks,

Humm. I think I could have confused people.

This is my setup.

Racing simulator built for the gt5 pro.

40" hdtv
Sony PS3
Logitech z500 5.1 speakers (5 speakers, one vdu and one big bass box which all the speakers connect to.

I connect the vdu up to the ps3 using optical lead as ps3 does not have a jack socket. The vdu then connects to the big bass box aswell with the other 5 speakers.

Now how would I connect a buttkicker to all that?

I know that the buttkicer comes with its own amp, just worried about optical issue.

This is a dumb question, but do use an hdmi or component cables to run the video for the ps3. If you use component you can get a splitter for the audio from the cables to the buttkicker amp between your ps3 and tv.
Thats how I do it on my 360. On my ps3 though I use an hdmi so I have to split it between my tv and surround sound. The problem with that is for some reason my splitter will not carry a surround sound signal. It makes my rear speakers stop working. Either way the buttkicker doesn't work very well at all with gt5p. It works great with forza and the f1 ps3 game. With gt5p the wind noise is at a weird frequency that I can't get rid of. As soon as you get going fast enough for the wind to kick in, it overwhelms everything. The buttkicker just vibrates nonstop. It's pretty worthless actually. Hopefully in the full gt5 game they will give us the option to turn down the wind noise, if not my buttkkicker will continue to collect dust.

you can get a splitter for the audio from the cables to the buttkicker amp between your ps3 and tv.
Thats how I do it on my 360. On my ps3 though I use an hdmi so I have to split it between my tv and surround sound. The problem with that is for some reason my splitter will not carry a surround sound signal. It makes my rear speakers stop working. Either way the buttkicker doesn't work very well at all with gt5p. It works great with forza and the f1 ps3 game. With gt5p the wind noise is at a weird frequency that I can't get rid of. As soon as you get going fast enough for the wind to kick in, it overwhelms everything. The buttkicker just vibrates nonstop. It's pretty worthless actually. Hopefully in the full gt5 game they will give us the option to turn down the wind noise, if not my buttkkicker will continue to collect dust.

I'm really surprised you should say that. GT4 is unplayable with the Buttkicker for precisely the reason you describe, but I don't find it a problem at all with GT5P. Weird that we would have a different experience with that - I wonder if I have the sound set up somewhat differently?

F1:CE works pretty well with the Buttkicker, the only problem being the high frequency scream of the F1 engines does not translate into vibration as well as the engine sound of the cars in GT5P (I particularly like the F40 or the Corvette in GT5P).

My racing simulator should be arriving today. Once i've built it ill take some photos. And the set up of the sound system.

I like the idea when someone mentioned changing hdmi with compenent and then using the audio component.

But when your using a optical from ps3 (and ps3 audio setting is set to optical) then I think the two audio compenents connections are not used at all.

I have been playing GT4 with buttkicker from last years and works fine, not absolutely perfect but seems another game when switched off, rumble strips, low and high speed, etc.. only drawback is motor rumble at high speed that is lost by the wind effect but I find this realistic at some point. You only need to adjust the amp cut-off switches and play with the settings.

I don't find major differences in rumble between GT4 and GT5P on same settings.

I use a component cable like this:
big_component-ps2.jpg

The sound goes through a HDMI cable on my setup. PS3 --> HDTV --> surround sound syste. I use a composite cable to transfer the sound to the surround sound from the TV.

I'm really surprised you should say that. GT4 is unplayable with the Buttkicker for precisely the reason you describe, but I don't find it a problem at all with GT5P. Weird that we would have a different experience with that - I wonder if I have the sound set up somewhat differently?

F1:CE works pretty well with the Buttkicker, the only problem being the high frequency scream of the F1 engines does not translate into vibration as well as the engine sound of the cars in GT5P (I particularly like the F40 or the Corvette in GT5P).

Please tell me your exact setup, including your amp settings. I would love to be able to use mine again. I have messed with the amp to no end, and can't cancel out the wind noise at all. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

If I can summarize the thread so far. The Buttkicker:

a) works well with GT4 but not GT5P.

b) works well with GT5P but not GT4.

c) works well with GT5P & GT4.

d) doesn't work well with either GT5P or GT4.

Hope this helps. :boggled:

Bevo:

I'm not sure that the setting are all that significant. I first tried the Buttkicker with F1:CE & found it worked pretty well. I then tried it with GT4 & found that the overwhelming "wind noise" (a feature that I had always found kind of effective) resulted in a constant & meaningless vibration form the Buttkicker. No amount of playing around with the settings seemed to substantially change this.

When I started playing GT5P I found that the wind noise, while still present, was not nearly as prominent as in GT4 & consequently did not trigger the "meaningless vibration" as it does in GT4. I find that the vibration corresponds quite nicely to what the car is doing. This is my experience - I really cannot comment or argue with anyone else's experience.

As far as my set-up is concerned: I have the (supplied) splitter attached to the headphone output of my HDTV. I plug my headphone lead into one (female) half of the splitter & the Buttkicker amp input lead to the other (female) half of the splitter.

Right... Spoke to a guy called Mike from buttshaker centre.

For people with logitech 5.1 speakers using optical. Butt kicker may work with this setup for the GT5 prologue.

1. Optical lead from PS3 into the VDU of Logitech.
2. Lead from VDU into the Logitech AMP-SUB. (The sub is the amp. i'e powers the 5 speakers.
3. You will now connect the 5 speakers into the Logitech AMP using Gold cable.

4. Split the wire of the centre speaker.
5. Connect a resistor you can get from halfords to the wire.
6. the bare wires from the buttkicker..... attach these to the wires to the centre speaker wires.

Now hopefully the frequencies of signal sent to the centre speak from the Logitech AMP are LOW enough to power the buttkicker.

HOPE!!!!

many thanks,

Fahim

My setup is:

PS3 Optical into Marantz surround amp, surround amp to 5 speakers & Sub out goes to power amp, power amp to Buttkicker. Works great for me.

I have A Buttkicker Mini Concert not gamer.

Last edited:
The problem with Logitech users is that thier subs dont have OUTPUT!!!!

So this is why i was thinking about crosswireing a centre speaker.

I am sorry but I am completely clueless on how to set mine up. I am running my ps3 and xbox 360 via hdmi splitter. I get my audio from my hdmi cable. How can I get the buttkicker to work without losing much?? Someone please help me out find a cheap but effective method that works. Is there anyway the buttkicker can work running on HDMI cables? Please someone guide me through the steps. thx

For sometime now the PS3 has had an update that allows both hdmi and analogue sound at the same time

My setup is:

PS3 Optical into Marantz surround amp, surround amp to 5 speakers & Sub out goes to power amp, power amp to Buttkicker. Works great for me.

I have A Buttkicker Mini Concert not gamer.

Almost the exact setup for me, Yamaha instead of Marantz and 7 speakers instead of 5. My mini concert arrives tomorrow and I was preparing for different hook-up options.

I will use yours, thank you sir. 👍

What is your kicker attached to?

You can use multiple sound out put from ps3 to but kicker

1; using ps3 hdmi out. No sound system..

Attach av wires to ps3 go to setting/ sounds/ then swith to multi sound output. Then attach white wire to input on tv. Attach male splitter RCA wire to red input on tv, then attach red input to one side of splitter. Attach buttkicker wire to other side of splitter and your done.

2; using hdmi with sound system. And optical out.
Attch male splitter to sub output. Attach buttkicker to one end and sub to the other.

3; using hdmi with sound system. With optical out With built in amp in sub.
Same as step one.

Yo guys! So can i add USB Wireless headphones into the mix?! No one else seems to have issues, or at least experienced using a set of usb headphones on the PS3 with a buttkicker. Essentially, last time i tried (a few weeks back) switching on the headset and activating the USB audio cut audio to everything else. So with a buttkicker connected to analogue signal out, you cant get headphone audio at the same time as using a buttkicker.

Thinking about getting a separate surround amp that will allow headphones, then no need for USB.

Dear Sir,

I will be buying the buttkicker for my race frame I have had made.
I've been getting mixed response over the compatibilty.

PS3 is optical sound!!!
PS3 DOES NOT HAVE a jack connection.

Buttkicker IS jack socket connection.

That means you cannot have PS3 on optical sound which means THIS IS CRAP.

Hence no surround sound.

Any sound geeks in the forum know a way around this?

Mnay Thanks,

Fahim
Dude I legit thought you mean "ButtKicker" as in some kind of a tough ass-kicking machine.

Back