Buying GTX 10 series graphics cards

• Thread starter alp
  • 8 comments

alp

Cyprus
Cyprus
apocalypxoticnow
Is it still logical at this point to get one of the older series cards now that NVIDIA is rolling out its RTX 20 series cards and possibly budget 1650/1660 cards? What I really can't be sure of is that third party sellers on Amazon say they have "new" GTX cards but are they really new or refurbished?

alp
Is it still logical at this point to get one of the older series cards now that NVIDIA is rolling out its RTX 20 series cards and possibly budget 1650/1660 cards?

Definitely. EOL GPU's usually get listed well below their original RRP so it's well worth waiting for their sale. The 1080 and Ti variant are already being phased out by e-tailers so I'd wait till they try and clear stock.

The 1070/60/50 still have a marketable price point so they'll be sticking around a while yet. There's nothing to replace them with and to be honest, AMD will offer similar or better bang for the buck at their price range anyway.

A friend once told me a good tip to check for a refurb. Even though they clean the cards up well for resale, you can still see dust with an LED light. If it's not absolutely spotless, there's a good chance it's a refurb.

Definitely. EOL GPU's usually get listed well below their original RRP so it's well worth waiting for their sale. The 1080 and Ti variant are already being phased out by e-tailers so I'd wait till they try and clear stock.

The 1070/60/50 still have a marketable price point so they'll be sticking around a while yet. There's nothing to replace them with and to be honest, AMD will offer similar or better bang for the buck at their price range anyway.

A friend once told me a good tip to check for a refurb. Even though they clean the cards up well for resale, you can still see dust with an LED light. If it's not absolutely spotless, there's a good chance it's a refurb.

Thanks for the reply. The cards I have in mind now the ones that can run games at 1080p like GTX1060. I will still rely on consoles for higher res and pure gaming.

I guess the price range is what I'll be chasing after but I do not have much time. I need to put a PC together before the end of this year because my 11 year old laptop might die out on me anytime now.

There should be a reshuffle on prices with the 1660Ti performing so well and that will drop the price on the 1060 if you want to save a few quid. Judging by the 1660 Ti reviews, they've got a real hit on their hands.

Judging by the 1660 Ti reviews, they've got a real hit on their hands.

Depends of where you are too I'd say. Esp. if you want one with a good cooler, it's getting so close to 2060 price it could be silly to not get that.

I think I've made up my mind. I'll discard the previous gen altogether and get a 1660Ti or a 2060 if I can stretch my budget. We'll see.

JvM
Depends of where you are too I'd say. Esp. if you want one with a good cooler, it's getting so close to 2060 price it could be silly to not get that.

For 1080p gaming, the 1660 Ti runs everything over 60fps with max settings. While the 2060 is marginally quicker, it's on average £40 more expensive. It would make sense with a higher refresh rate monitor, 1440p with G-Sync or you need it for its GPGPU rendering but if you're after using DLSS, it drops the performance too much and kinda stops it being viable for a Turing GPU.

I normally use Overclockers.co.uk for pricing as they're usually competitive. A 1660 Ti starts at £260 (dual fan) while the 2060 starts at £300 but only has a single fan. It looks to be a SFF really so for a dual fan 2060, they're £330+. Both GPU's are within spitting distance for performance but not for price.

For reference, there's a decent head to head here

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/22/nvidia-gtx-1660-ti-vs-rtx-2060/

Yeh as I said, depends on your location. Here the 2060 is around 15% more money and very close to same amount faster. Some exceptions too naturally.

Also fair point with monitor. I got a 144hz gsync so i went with 2060.

JvM
Yeh as I said, depends on your location. Here the 2060 is around 15% more money and very close to same amount faster. Some exceptions too naturally.

Also fair point with monitor. I got a 144hz gsync so i went with 2060.

I'll settle for a 1080/60Hz for now.

Back