Buying my first Bass GuitarMusic 

Messages
610
Hey all,

I searched but i didnt find anything on this so...

I have just recently started playing my friend's dad's bass, and im starting to get into it, but i realize the only way i can good is if i get my own so i can practice more often...

I want to spend around $200 CDN...but i dont really know what to get. The one ive been playing on is a Fender Jazz Bass i believe.

For an amp, i will probably get something small, like 10 or 15 watts, just so i can hear my self, and my friend said if i want to blast it i can go to his house because hes got 2 enormous amps.

If you have any suggestions for a good electric bass i can get for $200 CDN please share :D

oh and btw, im also willing to get a second hand bass as well.

-thanks
 
Squiers aren't that expensive. My cousin has one. It's pretty good.
 
Squier may be cheap but the quality isn't too great. My friend is always having electronic troubles with his Squier guitars. You may want to take a look at this Bass . My friend has one of those and he likes it a lot. If you want to learn more about basses, Pako, will be your man.
 
You might also check out www.musiciansfriend.com.
Just remember to try to buy a bass that's a good bit better than you are. That way your skill can grow into the bass. And you won't be looking to trade up in less than a year.
Pretty much Fender, Washburn, Ibanez, Epiphone, and Dean, make good, solid entry level basses.
Also consider, Samick if you can find them.
Samick makes about 75% of the guitars on the planet. They are the contract manufacturer for most of the guitar companies entry to mid level instruments.
So you'll get the same quality, but you'll probably save 25% or more on the purchase price.
 
Originally posted by Piglet
Squier may be cheap but the quality isn't too great. My friend is always having electronic troubles with his Squier guitars. You may want to take a look at this Bass . My friend has one of those and he likes it a lot. If you want to learn more about basses, Pako, will be your man.

that guitar there is the one that ive been playing at my friends, atleast i think so, its a pretty good bass, ive only played one bass in my life, so i have nothing to compare it to...

my friend reccomended this one to me:
yamaha
what do you think?

i know absolutley nothing about basses so im kinda clueless lol:confused:
 
Originally posted by shopping_carts_
that guitar there is the one that ive been playing at my friends, atleast i think so, its a pretty good bass, ive only played one bass in my life, so i have nothing to compare it to...

my friend reccomended this one to me:
yamaha
what do you think?

i know absolutley nothing about basses so im kinda clueless lol:confused:


I was just about to suggest Yamaha to you. The choices for a cheap have been already given to you. But, might want to check out Carvin. Peavey is also a good choice. BTW, I just now got handed the new Carvin catalog that came in the mail today and I see the prices for their stuff is shooting up. You might want to skip them.
 
thanks for your input everyone, i will be going to get my bass within the next couple of weeks :)
 
I have an Ibanez, still my very first one. I've had it for three years now I think. I really like it and I got it for 250 bucks.
 
well, i finally got it :D

i got an ibanez gsr100 in black...for $250....heres a picture:

GSR100BK-1S-02.jpg
 
Ahh, yes. Thats a helluva good starter bass. 👍

My first one was a Squier strat then I upgraded to a Ibanez Roadstar II. Mmm. Black on Black. :drool:

Tasty. I think Ill play it now.
 
Mmmmmm. Awesome looking bass. 👍

That's really nice man, congratulations on the purchase!
 
Congrats, I think Pako plays the bass in his band, not sure about it though.
 
I've been thinking about buying a bass to use solely for recording. My brother has a pretty cool setup with a Boss digital eight track but the the built in bass simulator is not very good. I have tried to use my acoustic w/ the simulator but you have to be really careful how you fret the note or it'll make some funky sounds. His drum machine also doubles as a bass machine but it is only sufficient for basic progressions (we did Hey Ya! and it sounds pretty good :D). I have quite a few songs that I'd like to record, but I don't want to spend too much on a bass. Looks like that Ibanez was a pretty good pick up.
 
I would definately look at used basses for your first unless your willing to spend $600+ for a good new one. Musicians will often pawn their axes for various reasons, and you can usually find a good deal in the pawn shops. Also, musicians are constanting updating/upgrading their equipment, there's usally something in great condition, that you can get into fairly resonable.

Check Ebay, check the local shops around town.... If your friends dad is willing to, have him go with you to help find a good guitar for you. I agree with Gil, get into someting that's better than you are for room for growth. A Fender Jazz or an Ibanez would be my first choice. Fernandez also makes a great quality Jazz style bass for a lot less $$$. If you find anything ...and have any questions, feel free to ask away, I'd be happy to answer any questions as well as a couple of other resident players here.

:cheers:
 
Originally posted by DODGE the VIPER
Congrats, I think Pako plays the bass in his band, not sure about it though.

Yep, sure do. :)
 
After I get myc Wolfgang Special Custom Deluxe guitar, I'm going to buy a bass next. I never liked playing the bass before, the strings are just too thick for me to get use to, but I have a feeling my oldest son wants to play bass. I use my Danelectro baritone guitar tuned to A for bass parts. My oldest son always plays with it and plucks at it like a bass.

I like the Fender Standard Jazz bass guitars. They go for around $380.
 
The Fender Std. J-Basses are totally a solid, bullet proof, work horse! I love my American Std and wouldn't sell it for the world!
 
[off-topic]

avatar with a transparent background...

[/off-topic]




The next bass I want to get would probably be a nice Rosco or a nice G&L 5 string.
 

Attachments

  • nwtech.trans.gif
    nwtech.trans.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 44
Originally posted by shopping_carts_
well, i finally got it :D

i got an ibanez gsr100 in black...for $250....heres a picture:

GSR100BK-1S-02.jpg

NICE! It was really late when I read this post, I appologize, I didn't realize you had already gotten a bass. Very nice! You mentioned wanting a 10-15w practive amp, did you get one?
 
Originally posted by Solid Lifters
After I get myc Wolfgang Special Custom Deluxe guitar, I'm going to buy a bass next. I never liked playing the bass before, the strings are just too thick for me to get use to, but I have a feeling my oldest son wants to play bass. I use my Danelectro baritone guitar tuned to A for bass parts. My oldest son always plays with it and plucks at it like a bass.

I like the Fender Standard Jazz bass guitars. They go for around $380.

My brother just got a custom Wolfgang. God that thing is awesome! Makes my Jackson feel like a Squire.
 
Originally posted by Pako
NICE! It was really late when I read this post, I appologize, I didn't realize you had already gotten a bass. Very nice! You mentioned wanting a 10-15w practive amp, did you get one?

yeah i picked up a 15 W fender amp...sounds awesome :D
 
Originally posted by Ser0119
My brother just got a custom Wolfgang. God that thing is awesome! Makes my Jackson feel like a Squire.

Which one is it, the standard or the special? I had a standard custome deluxe, and it didn't like it. It was hard to get use to the arched top, dual tone configuration and the wider neck.

The one coming has a shaved neck. I talked with the guy who is going to build it. I told him to shave it down to 1.625 inches at the nut, and 1.975 inches at the 12th fret. I also wanted a more rounded fingerboard edge. He said it was, "No problem. It's your guitar. We'll do what ever you want, with in reason." I probably wont get it that narrow, because of the width of the tremolo, but the guy making it knows to shave it down for me. I found playiing the guitar with a more narrow neck, and more rounded edge really cuts down on finger fatigue. I can play for severaly hours, versus just one hour.
 
Originally posted by Jimmy Pop
Squiers are crap. Get an Ibanez

if your referring to me...

i did get an ibanez but i would have preffered to get a squire affini p bass but it was $50 to much :(
 
I'm just talking in general, squiers are not worth the money. Ibanez are much better for the price.
 
Originally posted by Jimmy Pop
Squiers are crap. Get an Ibanez

Different strokes for different folks. The squire is a price conscience product enableing a new musician to enter into the scene with less "out-of-pocket" expense up front. Squires have their place as do most guitars. Like Fender with their Squire line, Ibanez also has their entry, price conscience products with equal quality to the squire.

Would I own a Squire now? No....

If I were just starting out would I own a Squire? Heck yeah!

Just wanted to clarify that.
 
I play guitar, my one of my firsts was a Squire and I remember being stoked to get it, now I got a vintage Strat and a Les Paul and the only way I'd play a squire is if it was free and if I could smash it. No offense.
 
I play the bass in school. It's quite fun actually.
More should try it.
 
Back